(Close Window)
Topic: Performing for Celebrities
So last week I was fortunate to perform for my 1st celebrity ever. Art Alexakis from the band Everclear. I had my cards in hand and performed a nice routine for him right outside of Subway of all places. He enjoyed the magic I showed him and was on his way. How many of you have had the chance in your life to perform for a celebrity, and who was it? I was stoked because I have been a fan of Everclear for years.
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 23, 2009 10:09PM)
I performed for Haydain Neale, also known as JackSoul, a few years back. He's a popular artist who's song "Still Believe In Love" was a huge hit.

It was before I entered my first magic competition. For some stupid reason I asked him for advice on it. He, being a performer, actually had great advice for me. "Practice your tricks until you don't feel like ever doing them ever again... then still, keep practicing. Make sure you can do them with your eyes shut and mind tuned out."
Many, many over the years. Usually fun. Sports stars, musicians, actors and movie stars, politicians, and the occassional famous magician. :)
Cool Brian!

Michael...so this Haydain person basically told you to practice until you never want to do them again? Sounds good to me. A few years ago...what trick did you do? Self filling pull ups?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 23, 2009 11:12PM)
What are you talking about?
You performed for him a 'few years back', I'm assuming that put you at ten or less years old. Your performance motived this fellow to tell you to practice. Me thinks it didn't go well. Wait, he emphatically told you to practice and then practice more...dang dude, what did you do? Drop a deck in front of him or her?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (May 24, 2009 01:45AM)
I performed for him AFTER his advice.
I worked as a demonstrator at FAO Schwarz in NYC for a little over a year. It's a hot destination for both tourist and celebrities.

On one ocassion I performed for Spike Lee and his son. Spike kind of stood back from the crowd, but seemed to like it. His son was really engrossed. I sold them a basic beginner kit. I've heard that they've shown up in Fantasma Magic here in the city since then, so maybe the kid was bitten by the bug.

Another time Eva Longoria and Tony Parker came in, shortly before they were married. Very nice people. Tony mostly was talking with the personal shopper who was guiding them through the store, but Eva was really into the magic. Bought a Svengali deck among other things. She was a really fun one to work with.

Kevin
Michael, so you met him, got advice, then went back and found him again and performed? So he isn't exactly hard to get hold of.

The only celebrity I every performed for became a celebrity afterward, does that count? I think it should, I mean, maybe my magic made her move 500 miles away.
Santa,

If it was Britney or Lindsay I think you may be confusing "Doing a trick" and "Turning a trick"!

Just maybe! ;)
Nah, I went to college with a girl who I hung out with who went on to become, and still is, a major TV star and does movies and stuff. I won't name her but I will say she isn't nearly as fun loving as she seems on the tube.
It happens.
I did some magic for Steve Miller once.
I have performed for one international celebrity once, Michael Caine. He was very polite, funny and easily approachable. I was 19, so this was 17 years ago and I have NO idea what I performed...
Benn paid to do magic for Jay Leno, the 2001 superbowl cahmps Baltimore Ravens, and Clevland Indians (former Oriole) pitcher Auther Rhodes.

Have done magic for, most pre 2004 NASCAR drivers, Cal Ripken, Kwasi Mfume, Curtis Sliwa, and a few U.S. Senetors. Md govoner Martin O'mally and a few others I am sure I missed.

NUMS