(Close Window)
Topic: CSI Vanishing Ring
This looks very cool indeed...Lebanon makes some beautiful stuff.

http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/CSI.htm
Geesh...very cool.
Just add hot water and ... It's GONE! Refills anyone?
Hopefully the coffee does not become toxic???
Wow - this looks great. I too would like to know if the coffee is drinkable after the effect is over.
It doesn't need refills and no, you don't want to drink the coffee.
I could see David Copperfield using this. Impossible vanish!

Robert
[quote]
On 2009-06-04 20:10, RooMan wrote:
[/quote]
The coffe can be pour out to show its empty, and then ring appear in any location?
BEN
I saw the demos. It beats me. what a nice trick.
Only one shame, this trick works only with you own ring !
If it was done with a borrowed ring, I buy it now !
Does anyone have this yet?
I ordered yesterday.
Gunthard
Hi Gunthard,will you review it for us when you receive it?Thanks Tim.
Hi Tim,
yes, I will do. When ordering, I could read shipping takes a week or so.
Gunthard
[quote]
On 2009-06-04 22:06, taiwanben wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-04 20:10, RooMan wrote:
[/quote]
The coffe can be pour out to show its empty, and then ring appear in any location?
BEN
[/quote]

The coffe cannot pour out to show the cup empty.
The website says that you can empty out the cup in front of the spec.
HEre is an FAQ section to the website regarding CSI so this should answer all of questions.
http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/CSI.htm
@baskitboy5: Where does it say so?

@taiwanben: Unfortunately exactly that question (can the coffee be emptied out) is left open.
@Skeleton( Where does it say so? ):
http://www.lebanoncircle.co.uk/Images/CSI%20text.jpg
Gunthard
[quote]
On 2009-06-07 08:57, Skeleton wrote:
@baskitboy5: Where does it say so?

@taiwanben: Unfortunately exactly that question (can the coffee be emptied out) is left open.
[/quote]

Actually, he empties the cup in one or more of the demos on the website. Go back and watch all the demos.
To empty out the coffee I believe you have to build a simple gimmicked Starbucks cup (or similar type). Otherwise, you can have them stir the cup and not feel or hear anything.
Looks very impressive!
I want a review very bad
I bought it immediately. Problem is I have to live on bread and water the rest of the month....
Hi Patrick66,has it arrived can you review it please,thanks.
I would never dunk a chain, padlock, and my own ring into somebody elses cup of coffee.
I guess to do this it would have to be in my own hot drink. How do I explain to the spectator that they can't finish their drink? Unless of course they want to go to the Hospital or even worse?

Mike
No question about it...you do it with YOUR drink.
So come on, are there any reviews, I'm very excited about this and I just want to make sure that this effect is praticle before I purchase it
A very clever science into magic idea.

Here's a few things I can tell you guys.

You need a HOT drink for it to work. HOT!!!
You can use coffee or tea or anything dark, but you cannot use clear HOT water otherwise the method will be revealed.
After the ring vanish, you can pour the drink out into another cup to show that there really isn't any ring there. The ring really does VANISH!
But the drink cannot be drunk anymore!
And if someone goes and pour away the drink where the ring just vanished in, you'll be very very p*ss because that will have cost you a lot of money!

About resetting, you'll need to make sure you take away and bring back that cup of coffee you used with you. So it's not something that you can reset easily. But definately a great reputation maker if you are doing magic for someone big, or someone from the press or for a show!

It really is magical! Now what are you waiting for! Get it while they still have stock!
To @BlakeAdams: be patient! I ordered it 5 days ago. They confirmed 10 days delivery.
Gunthard
[quote]
On 2009-06-08 15:53, magicmike30 wrote:
I guess to do this it would have to be in my own hot drink. How do I explain to the spectator that they can't finish their drink? Unless of course they want to go to the Hospital or even worse?

Mike
[/quote]

1. how else to show the ring has really vanished without pouring out the drink?

2. who wants to drink something that you've dunked a dirty ring and chain in?

s
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 10:22, feifei wrote:

It really is magical! Now what are you waiting for! Get it while they still have stock!
[/quote]

Yes, a great tick. However, you should think long and hard how you are going to use this so that it doesn't end up in a drawer. This effect has particular conditions for performing.

s
I don’t have the effect.

IMHO, the effect will play great with laymen as well as magicians. When the spectator(s) sees the effect for the first time, the punch of the final outcome will be so great & strong that their minds will go blank. At that moment they will not be in a position to think anything other than - [b]How did he do that?[/b]

[quote]
On 2009-06-08 00:01, RooMan wrote:
To empty out the coffee I believe you have to build a simple gimmicked Starbucks cup (or similar type).
[/quote]

After the effect is over, the spectator will certainly like to inspect the coffee cup . This I feel is the only weak link in the entire effect. Hence I strongly suggest that one consider the suggestion made by RooMan.

I think, on the whole this is a strong and very well thought out effect with great potential.

:xmas:
Okay, I already assumed the ring dis.....s in the black coffee, which is pretty unusual and very special. But, after stirring in the cup, can I pour the coffee into another mug to prove the first mug was really empty??
You need to read back in the thread a bit...and go to the Lebanon site. Yes, if you build the simple paper cup doodad that Dan goes into you can show the cup "empty" after pouring out the coffee. The ring is still there but let's just say it's in an "altered state". Hmmmm. Wish I were right about now.

Yes, this is a cool, little known science/high-tech kinda thing. Personally, I'd never heard of it before this release. The average Joe Blow is NOT gonna figure it out. And I never perform to fool magicians. We're all a pain in the a**. (Kidding...just kidding.)
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 11:04, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]

Mike
[/quote]

s
[/quote]

1. By stiring it.

2. Even if the ring is clean before hand, no body should drink the coffee afterwards, otherwise you'll be drinking something extra that's not gonna do your health any good.
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 14:09, patrick66 wrote:
Okay, I already assumed the ring dis.....s in the black coffee, which is pretty unusual and very special. But, after stirring in the cup, can I pour the coffee into another mug to prove the first mug was really empty??
[/quote]

Yes you can. Just take another cup and just pour it over. You don't need to make any special or gimmick mug. No other mumbo jumbo.

Normal cup, normal coffee. Dip the chain and ring into the hot coffee, ring vanish. Pour the coffee into another normal empty cup, no ring inside!

Then reappear the ring somewhere else, not like in the demo where after he pours the coffee the ring appears in his hand. That would make the spec think that you somehow manage to steal the ring while you are pouring.
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 23:48, feifei wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 11:04, the Sponge wrote:
[quote]

Mike
[/quote]

s
[/quote]
1. By stiring it.

2. Even if the ring is clean before hand, no body should drink the coffee afterwards, otherwise you'll be drinking something extra that's not gonna do your health any good.
[/quote]

sigh. I was not asking a question. I was answering the quoted question because I am tired of everyone asking about/wanting to drink the coffee.

s
My question is have you ever performed Healed and Sealed? I have had spectator's drink from an apparently discarded used empty pop can that has been poured into a cup. You never know what a spectator will do? They might want to injest the power of Houdini. Or watched one to many episodes of Jack A@@. A dirty chain might be like candy but who knows? Just an observation that needed to get out.

Looking forward to the reviews.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 10, 2009 09:03AM)
I'm sure spectator management to some degree is advised. But that is easily done especially with a HOT cup of coffee (we don't want anyone burned right?). Also as far as drinking it? Well I will personally "fake" taking a sip---then state "mmmm good but a little too hot to drink now" But just be sure to FAKE sip.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]
On 2009-06-10 00:37, the Sponge wrote:

sigh. I was not asking a question. I was answering the quoted question because I am tired of everyone asking about/wanting to drink the coffee.

s
[/quote]

LOL..... I realised it now sponge. Sorry about that. Truely deeply sorry. It was a good laught for me though.
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 23:52, feifei wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-09 14:09, patrick66 wrote:
[/quote]

Yes you can. Just take another cup and just pour it over. You don't need to make any special or gimmick mug. No other mumbo jumbo.

Normal cup, normal coffee. Dip the chain and ring into the hot coffee, ring vanish. Pour the coffee into another normal empty cup, no ring inside!

Then reappear the ring somewhere else, not like in the demo where after he pours the coffee the ring appears in his hand. That would make the spec think that you somehow manage to steal the ring while you are pouring.
[/quote]
Sorry the above quote should have had this comment,NO you can't just pour the coffee from one cup to another only if you use the simple gimmick which was a prepared starbuck container.
Putting your OWN ring into a HOT CUP OF COFFEE to make it vanish?

Whatever next....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should..
[quote]
On 2009-06-11 14:53, GarySumpter wrote:

Whatever next....

[/quote]

Huh? Wha..?
Because it is use "HOT" coffee or water ... I think the spectator will not immediately drink it ... considering the coffe or water is still hot ...
and you can pour the water/coffe out to trash box to show that no ring inside the cup (thus may hindering the spectator to drink it)...
that's my opinion, eventough I didn't have the gimmicks yet ...
I'm planning to buy it soon ...
[quote]
On 2009-06-11 14:53, GarySumpter wrote:

Whatever next....

[/quote]

I don't think this is a "doing it just because you can" sort of thing. Presenting it with the theme of escapes, Houdini, etc. really brings everything together. And if you do this spur of the moment at a coffee shop as if you just remember a story about Houdini or something like that, it would kill!

Adam
At first I was really taken with this effect,but now I don't feel it's practical,if you do it on the spur of the moment at a coffee shop all the heat will be on the cup at the end and what excuse would you make to walk off with the cup to retrieve the necessary,oh I'm just going to the bathroom I'll take my coffee????
Exact same thoughts here as cardbiker--how to walk off with the coffee cup if you aren't doing strolling magic but instead sitting at coffee shop or restaurant and doing this for people you are with or waiter, etc--ideas on retrieving the item from your own coffee cup without taking it to the bathroom?
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 09:38AM)
I plan on buying this. I'm waiting for Hocus-Pocus to carry it. I'll perform using my Samurai Sword from Collector's Workshop to make my Houdini's ring reappear after a dramatic escape from a boiling hot cup of dangerous liquid! Coffee! You don't think coffee is dangerous? Try talking to some people before they have theirs in the morning!

That is how I will do this effect. As always with my posts and my promise I made to The Café if you like what I wrote you may use it as well with my blessings. BTW a good line to use is this "Now ladies and gentlemen you may be tempted to drink this coffee---however do so at your own risk---you see even magicians don't know what a ring may do in a cup of coffee." Then say "Any takers?" And right away say "Smart, I didn't think so." You get a wonderful escape, reappearance and a laugh all in one!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 11:46AM)
BTW I just want to add that I seriously doubt anyone will ask if you can drink the coffee---I mean afterall you just caused a metal ring to vanish and reappear! Pretty good stuff.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Gumbystock, wait with buying the effect. I might dislike it and sell it to you if you want.
Hocus Pocus already has this listed on their web site.
[quote]
On 2009-06-12 13:40, patrick66 wrote:
Gumbystock, wait with buying the effect. I might dislike it and sell it to you if you want.
[/quote]

Once a viable & effective solution for inspecting the liquid (coffee) & the cup has been found I am sure you will love the effect. As I said in my previous post the effect will play very strong for laymen as well as for magicians.

For the reappearance of the ring I have thought of using the Gozinta Box. Hand the Gozinta Box (neatly tied with a ribbon) to a spectator (preferably a lady) for safe keeping. Before handing the Gozinta Box shake the box to show that (apparently) there is nothing in the box. Then, after the main effect is over, go to the lady and ask her to shake the box . . . Nothing!!! You take the box in your hands and give the box a hard shake . . . and waala, a clinking sound can be heard nice & clear. Hand the box back to the spectator and ask her to untie the ribbon & open the box. The vanished ring has reappeared inside the Gozinta Box. Then go on to show the characteristics of the Gozinta Boxes.

The suggested routine will/ may help divert attention from the coffee cup. It’s a strong diversionary & misdirection tactics. This will play big in a close-up kind of performance/ situation.

[b]. . . but one still need to find a viable solution for inspecting the coffee & its container.[/b]

Just a thought & a suggestion! :) ;)

Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 09:08PM)
I believe Hocus Pocus will have this sometime next week. Patrick66 I believe you will like this as well but sure we can talk about a possible purchase.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 09:11PM)
You guys I may be way off but to be honest I don't think there will be a lot of heat (no pun intended) on the cup once the ring is off the chain and lock. Especially if it reappears from elsewhere. But time will tell as always.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I agree that the heat will not be on the cup but still no idea how to walk away with the cup to retrieve your ring if you are sitting and do it for family or waiter etc. Need to be able to walk off with the cup or retrieve in privacy which doesn't seem easy. For table hopping it would be easier, carry it off and excuse yourself to restroom, but as a diner, not a hopper, not so easy.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 12, 2009 10:15PM)
I will be doing this in performance only I believe. I'll have a reason to do what I need to in order to clean up. But I just have to see what is needed first. I, like most people here believe I know what is happening---but who knows for sure until we see it. For me it's too nice of an effect to pass up.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I regret this purchase more and more. However you perform it, there will be tremendous heat on the coffee cup and it is totally unpracticle to perform in a Starbucks.

I expect to sell this item after playing with it for one hour :(
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 14, 2009 07:45PM)
Patrick66,

Why? Man if this looks like the video we are seeing a very special effect here. Give it a chance. Please let us know what you think when you do receive it. I'm waiting for Paul at HP to get theirs in.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I dunno. After what seemed like a half hour of credits, panning of a street scene, and bad music, nothing had happened -- I completely lost interest.

When the video starts with a dark background and takes forever to get to the point, I decide to read a good book.

*jeep!
--Short-attention span Grandpa
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 15, 2009 12:33AM)
More than likely I will use this with my Samurai Sword effect from Collector's Workshop. I'm also going over some other ideas. Like I said the waiting to see exactly what's involved can kind of slow the creative juices a little. But deep down we all know the wait is part of the fun (yeah right!)

Good magic to all,

Eric
5000 POSTS - [b]* * * C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! * * *[/b] Grandpa.

[quote]
On 2009-06-14 22:18, mormonyoyoman wrote:
I dunno. [b]After what seemed like a half hour of credits, panning of a street scene, and bad music, nothing had happened -- I completely lost interest.[/b]

When the video starts with a dark background and takes forever to get to the point, I decide to read a good book.

*jeep!
--Short-attention span Grandpa
[/quote]

:)

Grandpa, please check [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYMP4zMf8M&feature=related][b]THIS[/b][/url] video.

In my above post please ignore the sentence - "5000 POSTS - * * * C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! ! ! * * * Grandpa." - I am sorry for the oversight.

I know the secret: Is not a coffee but Sulfuric acid to dissolve the ring!!

This is a joke of course I have no idea of the secret. :D

Really beautiful

Congratulations.

M.P
Chemistry meets magic.
[quote]
On 2009-06-14 12:47, patrick66 wrote:
I regret this purchase more and more. However you perform it, there will be tremendous heat on the coffee cup and it is totally unpracticle to perform in a Starbucks.

I expect to sell this item after playing with it for one hour :(
[/quote]

It has hundreds of applications if you think outside the box.
Well said Mike!

As a designer of illusions one thing I can't supply with my effects is a creative and imaginative mind for the end user - I assume most magicians have these traits.

All of my previous effects were designed for the bizarre magic market where there is an abundance of creatives - illusions should inspire the magician to tailor the method and push boundaries hence a pinch of imagination is required.

However, if you thing CSI has only one possible peformance method then you really need to exercise that grey matter - I've already develeped enough variations for CSI 2.

If after one hour of CSI you want to sell patrick66, please contact me for a refund as the waiting list is now at over 3 weeks.

In the wise words of Spongebob -

****"I_M_A_G_I_N_A_T_I_O_N"****

Use it well...

Regards

Dan

Lebanon Circle
A refund is against my ethics, I will not do that.

I'm a whiner when it comes to magic tricks, but that's just me.

80% of what I bought in the past I consider a waste of money/not for me, DVD's not included. But I know that has everything to do with ME.

My best purchase so far is The Extractor, hooray for Nardi (again) ;)
Ok guys, got this yesterday so here's brief review ( proper one to follow once I've roadtested)
My guess is that most of us here will have sussed out how this works to some degree but when your into magic and have the internet at your disposal, let's face it, it aint that difficult. Fact is though, I didn't know this was possible via this method and wouldn't/ couldn't of dreamt this up let alone brought it to fruition and produced a marketable working end result. Dan Baines did and the effect is nothing short of astonishing. Ok, it wont suit every occasion due to the reset time, but if like me you show friends and family ( and occasionally customers in my case) your latest miracle,I think this will stun.
I had an internet-informed guess at what I would receive and wasn't far off the mark. As far as the reset goes, I'm in the middle of one now and although you do need a bit of time, there's nothing difficult about it and everything is made crystal clear on the dvd. As I said, I haven't actually performed this yet, and will update review once I have. As far as being left with a cup of coffee to carefully dispose of, it's not a problem to me in my normal environment. My reappearance of ring will either by on the Samurai Sword ( thanks gumby) or in an empty? bicycle card case that originally contained a card/ deck once owned by Houdini.
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 11:14, patrick66 wrote:
A refund is against my ethics, I will not do that.

I'm a whiner when it comes to magic tricks, but that's just me.

80% of what I bought in the past I consider a waste of money/not for me, DVD's not included. But I know that has everything to do with ME.

My best purchase so far is The Extractor, hooray for Nardi (again) ;)
[/quote]

Patrick666, your sense of honor is rare and admirable, my respect to you.
In this case,tho, the creator himself has made the offer, and I think you can accept it without compromise of your ethics, IF you do not find CSI to your liking. You will cause no harm to him by this, as he has buyers lined up and waiting. I am sure he can count on your discretion not to disclose any secret information.
HOWEVER before you give it up, please PM me, I will send you my script for this. You may not like that, either, but it does give a different emotional feel to the shocking visual, with the handling unchanged. At any rate, all the best, Dan is an up-front guy, he would not have made you the offer if he did not mean it.
Put your own spin on CSI,& own it, my friend!
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 19, 2009 09:35PM)
Roblane,

I want to personally thank you for mentioning my name with the Samurai Sword idea. I love our Art very much and love giving back to it any time I can. I'm glad you're considering the idea. I'm looking forward to using it myself as well. I just found out my CSI is on the way via UPS and will be here Monday (another LONG weekend)---by the way are magicians the only ones who look forward to Mondays?

My guess this will be a great effect to perform and I'm just waiting for the chance. BTW great point you made about guessing how it's done. We as magicians collectively can figure out a lot of things. But truthfully up until CSI when did we ever see this kind of effect?

So here I sit another LONG weekend! Oh did I already say that?

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]
On 2009-06-18 18:23, roblane wrote:

* My guess is that most of us here will have sussed out how this works to some degree but when your into magic and have the internet at your disposal, let's face it, it aint that difficult.

[b]* Fact is though, I didn't know this was possible via this method and wouldn't/ couldn't of dreamt this up let alone brought it to fruition and produced a marketable working end result.[/b]

* Dan Baines did and the effect is nothing short of astonishing.
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2009-06-19 22:35, gumbystock wrote:

* BTW great point you made about guessing how it's done.

[b]* We as magicians collectively can figure out a lot of things. But truthfully up until CSI when did we ever see this kind of effect?[/b]
[/quote]

Very valid point, very well said.

This is for all of us to give it a serious though and then think as to how best one can support to the creator.

[quote]
On 2009-06-18 02:29, Mike Webb wrote:

[b]It has hundreds of applications if you think outside the box.[/b]
[/quote]

[b]So TRUE.[/b]

So much threads filled with csi.. I will quote myself from another shortly..

[quote]
On 2009-06-18 05:43, ArtIn wrote:

An Idea for having an excuse to don't drink the coffee after performance is to let the Ring fall to the ground.. hey such mistakes do happen!
the spectator sees the ring hitting the hard floor.. when it is picked up again by (maybe the spectator) it is still intact and so it must be solid! indeed it is solid metall.
and now the ring is also a bit dirty.. what a shame.. who wants to drink dirty coffee??

[/quote]

Another Idea is:

Thinking about having a extra small box which contains the ring (padlocked and chained)
The Spectator can see the Ring through a few holes on the Outside of the Box.
Shaking it really hard, everything is solid metal.. what going to happen is absolutly impossible..
Maybe it is possible to play also with water reflections.
Maybe it can also be a small Cage!

Letting it go deep into a container of boiled black water!
which also could be padlocked.. givin it to a spectator to hold..
take everything back and let the ring appear in a spectators pocket.. or opening everything in front of another watchful spectator.. already wearing the before palmed ring, still wet on your thumb.. ;)

Everything is possible! I imagine that effect also would play big on stage!

Dan what will CSI 2 be about?
A DVD with Effect Ideas or a whole new Effect Range build up with some new props?

kind regards
ArtIn
that's a great idea to place the chained ring into a box! Instead of a box you could use a grated box representing a little jail. The CSI escapes from that jail even he was chained inside. Would like to have a ungimmiked double ring (placed into the coffe before) and pik it out after the CSI has gone. That would take the heat from a ordinari coffe cup.
Best Regards
André
[quote]
On 2009-06-20 15:41, oldi wrote:

[b]* Would like to have a ungimmiked double ring (placed into the coffe before) and pik it out after the CSI has gone.

* That would take the heat from a ordinari coffe cup.[/b]
[/quote]

This is one very good idea for taking the heat off the coffee cup. Good thinking André!

Guy's and Gal's , why are most of you so hung up on trying to do "Real" magic, so many have said, you can't use a borrowed ring, you can't show the cup, you can't do this or that, tell what magic trick is all that , none, that's why it's a trick and designed for us to entertain people, if you like the basic premise, then buy it and make people happy with it, a thumb tip is known around the world by nearly everyone and yet we all still use it, this effect can use a borrowed ring and the cup can be shown empty, at least that is how a spectator will see it. it is a close to real as any effect out there, so many of us try to pick apart all these effects posted, none of them are perfect, it is our job to make it appear that way, I think Steve should start a new section called Fooling Magicians, and those who need it can go there.
Does anyone else have this yet?
Dave
Let me just explain how I think about real magic: Of cource I do not expect from the audience that they believe in real magic. Neverless I try to create a atmosphere that gets as close as possible to "real magic", infecting the audience.
I don't want to create questions like "why did he?" or "why didn`t he?"
Therefore I trie to give mi best in "what I say", "what I do" and "what I use".
Those 3 aspects, together, should create my desired magical atmospher.
In this case its the "what I use" that is not like I want it to have.
So I try to make a given trick to a trick that fits my demand. Like anybody else. And isn`t it the way magic grows?
[quote]
On 2009-06-22 11:22, samdan wrote:
Does anyone else have this yet?
[/quote]

I heard that many people ordered, but have been waiting for it.
I received it yesterday (in France). Great !! Have constructed the gimmicked part and tried it once, everything's OK by now. Amazing effect for sure.
Also the customer service is great, I had a few requests and Dan answered the same day with plenty of details.

So far highly recommended (but I didn't perform this yet, in a few days...)
[quote]
On 2009-06-22 14:07, oldi wrote:
Dave
Let me just explain how I think about real magic: Of cource I do not expect from the audience that they believe in real magic. Neverless I try to create a atmosphere that gets as close as possible to "real magic", infecting the audience.
I don't want to create questions like "why did he?" or "why didn`t he?"
Therefore I trie to give mi best in "what I say", "what I do" and "what I use".
Those 3 aspects, together, should create my desired magical atmospher.
In this case its the "what I use" that is not like I want it to have.
So I try to make a given trick to a trick that fits my demand. Like anybody else. And isn`t it the way magic grows?
[/quote]

Of Course it is! :) that's why it is THAT great.. It leaves space for your own creativity! customize and make something work in a way you want it to.
Whats bad on giving the best to the spectator you can afford?
Instead of posting negative things about it -> people should customize it and born their own baby based on dans great thinking.
this is the most modern idea someone could offer you!
I first expected also a ungimmicked ring.. but I came over it..
it is not hard to look over the negative aspects (not many!)
if a person is willing to open the eyes and see the potential this one has..

Dave it is up to us magicians to blur every trace to a method an make it as deceptive as possible..

my english is'nt that good..please excuse me.. I hope you guys know what I mean..
Mimo67--what do you mean constructed the gimmick? without giving it away, what kind of construction is required? how difficult and time consuming is contructing the gimmick?
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 11:14, samdan wrote:
Mimo67--what do you mean constructed the gimmick? without giving it away, what kind of construction is required? how difficult and time consuming is contructing the gimmick?
[/quote]

To construct the gimmick means resetting the gimmick so you can do the trick again. After you do the trick, you cannot repeat it immediately, you need to take that cup of coffee away with you, and when you are alone, you can reset the gimmick. It is not instant, it takes some time, and you need the props that comes with the purchase to do it.

Don't throw away the coffee is most important :P
Thanks feifei! do you have a review for the effect?
I only want to add with usage of the "starbucks method" you can throw away the coffee instantly
Hi all, I just received the package and I only watched the secret of this effect.
NO way I am going to sell this haha. This is so much fun to play with, even if you don't perform it, but you will.

The only pity is that I don't have the item at home that you use but that's not a very big problem.

This one's a winner, go get it.
For Samdan,

Sorry for the delay of my answer.

In fact I didn't talk at all about the reset wich takes some time at home, so the effect can be done once only (or twice with the double but then the ring can't reappear elsewhere) ; no I meant for the Star*ucks method you need half an hour if you have the material to build this.

I did it but hadn't all the materials exactly as on the DVD (in France the products aren't the exact same ones) so I'll have to try again tomorrow.

But the effect in itself works very well and is as amazing as the video shows it, so I recommend this highly !

By the way Dan provided an excellent customer service by answering my questions with a few hours delay and with many details. I'm very happy with this purchase !
First impression:
You can perform the effect out of the box. Exactly like in the demo video, no misleading in the ad. No sleight of hand. Works like a charm.
If you want to show the empty cup, you have to take starbucks coffee cups and built your special cup. It is easy to do, some cuts, some glue (Gorilla Glue - search ebay). Discribed in the DVD step by step. It takes 15 minutes. You can use the cup several times.
The reset is easy, but needs privacy. You get all the tools you need but one, everyone has at home. It takes about 3 minutes and a waiting time of 30 minutes.
If you buy some extra rings (about GBP 7.00), you can do tables.
The tool is a little bit weak. I broke it after 3 resets. It seems to me, it has a breaking point. So do not bend the tool. Dan provided a prompt service to fix it within a few hours. Excellent.

The DVD leads you step by step through the handling. First class.

These are my first impressions. I think CSI will play nice in the real world. After some performances I will come back with another review.

Up to now I am more then satisfied with this deal.
Now I have to think about the presentation. I do not sit in Starbucks to ask: Hey man, do you want to see a trick with your coffee? I want to perform CSI closeup and table hopping. How to establish the coffee cup, how to get rid of the cup etc. at the tables. How to get the coffee, where to place the used cups?
These questions wait for an answer. I have to work on it.

Gunthard
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 23, 2009 06:04PM)
Patrick66,

That is EXACTLY why I did not wait to order, I knew you would not sell yours once you got it. Wow this mentalism stuff really works!

I'm glad you like it too. I'm thrilled with mine.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 26, 2009 12:04AM)
Hey just to let you know. For everyone who bought this the glue they talk about on the DVD can be bought at LOWE'S. I went on ebay but found it for less at LOWE'S.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jun 26, 2009 12:21AM)
Getting ready to perform this over the weekend and I will let you know how it goes. I'll be using the paper cup method and my Samurai Sword.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Finally I've found my little nice looking Houdini Cage.. ;)
When I have found a nice cover for it I would like to post a video with permission of dan.. I am playing with the idea (just have to test it) to take the Ring from the ground of the Cup/Container filled with Coffee..
Dan are you start working on your CSI-/ Lebanon Forum?
I can't wait to share ideas..

best regards
I posted this on the bizarre section:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Ok just had my first test run with this effect. It was beautifully timed. I was helping a friend of my boss with some web design, when my boss came upstairs with a steaming hot cup of coffee for me.

I just so happened to be showing them my own site as an example of what they could do, when this person asked what sort of magic and mentalism I performed.

I had the ring on my finger, and the padlock and chain in my pocket. Everything had come together perfectly. I said "let me show you", and then went into an off the cuff story about houdini and his amazing escapes.

She handled everything herself. Put the chain through the ring. Padlocked the ring to the chain. Dipped the ring into the coffee. And when I finally finished my story and she retrieved the chain - the ring was gone.

Unfortunately because I had not reset the other gimmick (I used it last night as a test) I could not make the ring re-appear, but I have to say that the reaction was still incredible! Stone cold silence, and then a little "oh my god" under her breath.

I love CSI, I can't recommend this enough. There is a lot of reset involved, but my is it worth it. And I should note that not once did she ask to taste the coffee, or try to get her fingers into the cup.

If you really want to floor your spectators, this is a great way to do it. I'm going to test it out on a large group this saturday night, and hopefully get a bit better story down! I haven't performed any 'magicky' effects in quite a while, but I think that there are some great ways to present this with a more bizarre storyline.

Luke
I have got my CSI already today. I enojy it and Dan's instructional DVD is very in details. If you want to combine the Drawing Case routine, I recommend to buy Mikame Craft Drawing Card Case which is smaller and easily carry.
BEN
I also bought mikames drawer card box and still waiting for it..
It looks well manufactured and small enough for carrying it in your pocket.

I didn't performed it yet cause the situation wasnt there.
But I am hunting for it..

Kind regards
Artin,
I would love to see the cage you are referring to. When I first heard about this effect my mind immediately sprang to the old Collectors Workshop item, "In a gilded Cage"
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=438 - Imagine the possibilities! The ring could vanish off the chain and reappear in the cage. The CW version is hard to get but I'm sure one could easily come up with something else (especially seeing as the appearing ring is not the same one that vanished).
Sorry CW is my favourite magic creation house and I nearly forgot about this one:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=87.

Pity these things are so hard to find these days.
Hi All CSI
Yes I have purchased CSI,but apparently it works on an old principle that's not known to all ???.
This is an old concept that has been renamed to make all things new again.
I will be using the Knights Templar to reveal the ring so what story line can I use (presentation). Oh yes I do have Mikames card box great piece of prop !!!

La Strega
Antares,

when I have finished creating my "cage cover" I will posting a picture here.
For now it seems a bit provisionally made.. I also now have to find another container
for the coffee.. cause the the cage does'nt fit into a normal mug anymore
(after the ring is "specialy" locked inside the "cage"..)

I'd love the "creation" cage you've posted:
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=87.

also a nice idea for reproducing the ring is to use a simple holdout..
with some sleight of hands anything is possible..

show your hands empty.. drop your sleeves..
when the chain is lowred into the coffee.. hold your hand like: thumb and forefinger are together in a closed v position... hiding the chain and padlock from spectators view.. grap it fast.. give it a shake and let it come off.. or take a towel for drying the padlocked ring.. the ring comes off..
(maybe it is possible to show the ring is still on the chain (with a ring and rope move) it has penetrated the padlock and then let it come off.. just an idea..

no vanishing but a impossible penetration effect.
Hi ArtIn,
Just wondering if there are any negative/adverse effects from letting the ring vanish in the coffee whilst its in a small metal cage. Will the prop be damaged in any way by being immersed in the coffee whilst inside another metal structure?
I bought this cage on ebay and I am waiting for my CSI to arrive so I'm just trying to get prepared.
@Antares
if the bottom of the cage is solid, you cannot use CSI
Gunthard
I would think a simple modifcation would enable it to work.
I have drilled small holes into the base of the cage, so it should work. The cage is of copper and brass construction, if that makes any difference?
Pm sent antares
Do you guys know tea eggs? ;)

tea eggs also having nice chains to hold
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jul 18, 2009 12:16AM)
Well my performance went very well with CSI. I have delayed in posting because I was not sure how my reset would be. It went very well and I can now say as of 10 min. ago I have completed the necessary reset with no problems. It took me half an hour all total.

I am very pleased with this effect and will make it a regular at my shows. I highly recomment it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 02:41, shield wrote:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Ok just had my first test run with this effect. It was beautifully timed. I was helping a friend of my boss with some web design, when my boss came upstairs with a steaming hot cup of coffee for me.

I just so happened to be showing them my own site as an example of what they could do, when this person asked what sort of magic and mentalism I performed.

I had the ring on my finger, and the padlock and chain in my pocket. Everything had come together perfectly. I said "let me show you", and then went into an off the cuff story about houdini and his amazing escapes.

She handled everything herself. Put the chain through the ring. Padlocked the ring to the chain. Dipped the ring into the coffee. And when I finally finished my story and she retrieved the chain - the ring was gone.

Unfortunately because I had not reset the other gimmick (I used it last night as a test) I could not make the ring re-appear, but I have to say that the reaction was still incredible! Stone cold silence, and then a little "oh my god" under her breath.

I love CSI, I can't recommend this enough. There is a lot of reset involved, but my is it worth it. And I should note that not once did she ask to taste the coffee, or try to get her fingers into the cup.

If you really want to floor your spectators, this is a great way to do it. I'm going to test it out on a large group this saturday night, and hopefully get a bit better story down! I haven't performed any 'magicky' effects in quite a while, but I think that there are some great ways to present this with a more bizarre storyline.

Luke
[/quote]

That's dicey. I wouldn't do that again without the reappearance part. Obviously, you got good spectators there, but what if you run into one of those problem solver types? Or a chemistry student from UCLA. :) Also, imho, just to have it reappear is not good enough. I would want the spectator's thoughts to be far away from science as possible. Even though I do not own this trick, I have a suggestion to all of you who have it. My suggestion may change the whole point of the trick, but it's an option especially if you know you're up against a very intelligent problem solver. Here's the idea: Use a himber wallet or any box that can be show empty and then loaded. In order to take your spectator's thoughts far away from science as possible, try to convince them that the ring was actually stolen out of the padlock right before their eyes. Say, that was the Magic of Houdini, he could hypnotize you and do things while you're in a trance. Of course the spectator is not going to believe you because he's been handling the ring the whole time. When he pulls up the chain and sees the ring has vanished, you then reproduce it from your box. I would then even expose the workings of the box, and explain to him.."See, this is a gimmicked box. Here's the secret flap, this is where I load your ring after I took it from your chain while you were in a trance." The spectator will be left speechless, and may even believe that you truly took that ring away from him because why else would you need a box with a secret flap to load?

I know some of you may say this is running without being chased. I think this is playing it safe because after seeing the demos and reading the description, I immediately thought science. So this is an alternative idea for those of you who may be paranoid and want science to be the last thing that's on the spectator's mind. After-all if you're using a presentation around Houdini, this is very believable. Houdini doesn't magically vanished, everybody knows he's an escape artist. So what's wrong with convincing your spectator that the ring actually escaped rather than magically disappear? As a spectator I would believe in the escape idea before I would believe in something that can magically disappear. If you want me to believe that something can magically disappear, then I would exhaust all scientific explanation first and there lies the danger.
Hey if any of you want to sell yours let me know.
This looks to be a great effect; the demos are impressive. My only concern is that this is a method which is available from most of the science supply companies and easily found with a Google stroke or two. After David Blaine did a version (where he poured hot coffee on a nickel and it melted in his hand) I had several non-magician friends come to me with the method relatively quickly. Of course, that may have been Blaine's mistake - to show the actual method instead of creating a nice presentation like Dan has.
Here is a neat idea that I had. What if the CSI was a key for a pad lock instead of a ring. So you borrow a ring from a spectator, lock up the ring in a padlock. Attach a key to a chain and vanish the key. The spectator will get worried at this point, because the key to unlock their ring has vanished. They key can then be reappeared wherever desired.
I personally like this idea, because it allows the ring the be borrowed, and places the spectator on an emotional roller coaster with her ring.
Can the metal used for the ring be made into a key?

Tatanka Tan
[quote]
On 2009-07-21 06:05, gilbreath76 wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 02:41, shield wrote:

Luke
[/quote]

That's dicey. I wouldn't do that again without the reappearance part. Obviously, you got good spectators there, but what if you run into one of those problem solver types? Or a chemistry student from UCLA. :) Also, imho, just to have it reappear is not good enough. I would want the spectator's thoughts to be far away from science as possible. Even though I do not own this trick, I have a suggestion to all of you who have it. My suggestion may change the whole point of the trick, but it's an option especially if you know you're up against a very intelligent problem solver. Here's the idea: Use a himber wallet or any box that can be show empty and then loaded. In order to take your spectator's thoughts far away from science as possible, try to convince them that the ring was actually stolen out of the padlock right before their eyes. Say, that was the Magic of Houdini, he could hypnotize you and do things while you're in a trance. Of course the spectator is not going to believe you because he's been handling the ring the whole time. When he pulls up the chain and sees the ring has vanished, you then reproduce it from your box. I would then even expose the workings of the box, and explain to him.."See, this is a gimmicked box. Here's the secret flap, this is where I load your ring after I took it from your chain while you were in a trance." The spectator will be left speechless, and may even believe that you truly took that ring away from him because why else would you need a box with a secret flap to load?

I know some of you may say this is running without being chased. I think this is playing it safe because after seeing the demos and reading the description, I immediately thought science. So this is an alternative idea for those of you who may be paranoid and want science to be the last thing that's on the spectator's mind. After-all if you're using a presentation around Houdini, this is very believable. Houdini doesn't magically vanished, everybody knows he's an escape artist. So what's wrong with convincing your spectator that the ring actually escaped rather than magically disappear? As a spectator I would believe in the escape idea before I would believe in something that can magically disappear. If you want me to believe that something can magically disappear, then I would exhaust all scientific explanation first and there lies the danger.
[/quote]

I understand your point, however I think you are overthinking this. If your presentation is strong enough, I don't see why you would need to go to those lengths. We all have different performance styles though! And yes, I did know that performing this for these people I would not need to make the ring re-appear. They are the type of spectators that just love magic and being amazed.

Keep in mind they get to stir the coffee, and inspect the ring beforehand.

The woman who dunked the ring is still talking about it now.

Luke
[quote]
On 2009-07-22 10:45, MagicOfT wrote:
Here is a neat idea that I had. What if the CSI was a key for a pad lock instead of a ring. So you borrow a ring from a spectator, lock up the ring in a padlock. Attach a key to a chain and vanish the key. The spectator will get worried at this point, because the key to unlock their ring has vanished. They key can then be reappeared wherever desired.
I personally like this idea, because it allows the ring the be borrowed, and places the spectator on an emotional roller coaster with her ring.
Can the metal used for the ring be made into a key?

Tatanka Tan
[/quote]

I this is a very good idea!
...and the answer is yes

Enjoy
Ponch
Gunthard: I am with you...I just ordered mine about twenty minutes ago. Purchased, it through Hank Lees. It will be here on 7-28-09
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jul 25, 2009 11:47PM)
I had a huge party two days ago and I performed CSI along with my Samurai Sword and it absolutely floored everyone. No one suspected anything but I actually saw jaws drop when I walked over to the Sword and slowly pulled the cover up. It was so beautiful. I will continue to perform CSI along with my treasured Samurai Sword. I invite all of you to give it a try and if you like it---please feel free to use this idea. You will see the two go hand in hand.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Interesting, you just gave me an awesome idea.
http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=88
I own this beautiful piece of magic. This and CSI would be a killer. As I said, mine arrives this Tuesday.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jul 27, 2009 07:34PM)
Thumbtip,

When I actually performed it it went smoother than I expected. And when I lifted that curtain and spun the ring on the sword---wow it was great. Like I said I looked up and saw jaws actually dropped. I took the ring off the sword and handed it to a spectator who said it was the same ring! I really hope you like this effect with the CSI ring.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Mine arrived today. Here is my review.

I was so excited about this magical marvel, that I had it shipped overnight. As stated in the instructions, watch the DVD that is supplied with CSI. When the unit was in the ready position and I submerged the locked ring in the coffee and lifted it out, my jaw dropped. It was gone. I then stirred the coffee with the stick and nothing could be felt. I was totally baffled and love when a routine blows my own mind. That sends a strong message telling me I will be able to blow my audience away, without any problem This is one of the strongest routines that I have seen in many years. I give this routine two thumbtips up. Get one as soon as you can, it is really killer magic. Not only am I happy with CSI, I love it.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jul 29, 2009 10:44AM)
Thumbtip,

I'm glad you liked it. If you have any questions with the reset let me know ok? I found the second method to work the best on the reset.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The reset for my first time went very well.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Jul 31, 2009 09:58AM)
A very important thing I did notice when I perform this. Although the question of me drinking the coffee HAS NOT come up yet---I have noticed something interesting. The audience member that I hand the ring to after it has "reappeared" on my Samurai Sword so far has always smelled the ring to see if they smell coffee! I kid you not. I forgot to mention this before. So now I always find the chance to get some coffee on my finger before I hand the ring out so that "best part of waking up" smell is on that ring. It's a minor point but one that for some reason is important to the people I have performed this for. One of the ladies actually said "Wow I can actually smell the coffee still!"

Good magic to all,

Eric
Eric, it is these "minor" points that sometimes make or break an effect.

Kudos to your good thinking. A small but valuable point.
Eric, I concur with edh, it's the small details that can have the greatest difference. This could be used with specs ring for a nice 2 ring routine involving different vanishes, having the rings reappear together or to switch in a PK ring it mimics so well in design.
Thank you guys very much. I always like to pass on what I learn from a performance. I know I have picked up some good pointers from other members and I like to feel I'm giving back as well. We basically sharpen one another and as a result become better entertainers.

Thanks again for your comments they mean a lot to me.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Since I have not performed CSI yet, I must thank you too. It is a very good point. I too thank you very much.
The ring is very porous, so if you dunk the re-appearing ring in some coffee, or coffee grinds, it will hold the odor.
Thumbtip---You're welcome. Dave great point!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Interesting story here. I just relocated from Northern Virginia to Simi Valley, California. With the lovely economy it took nearly two years to sell my home. I have been out here for about 1 3/4 years. My mother moved into my house in Virginia, so the house was fine. Most of my magic was on the East Coast crated boxed waiting to be moved. It all arrived last Thursday. This house is set up to have a magic office with many framed autographed photos and within that room another doorway leading to the prop room. The hallway leading to both rooms will have the poster sized photos. It is all quite exciting. The neat part, it is all on the seconed level and will be my hideaway or for fellow magicians. Sounds nutty but it is going to be so cool.
Welcome to California. I live in San Bernardino and love it. You sound like you are well on your way to having a magicians dream home and I'm happy for you. You must try to make it to the Magic Castle for their swap-meets. But then again I wish all here on the Café could. It would be great to meet you guys in person.

Good magic to all,

Eric
I just have a hard time with the whole premise. Why dunk a ring into a hot liquid? Afterwards, why cant they dump the hot liquid out to see if the ring is in there?
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Aug 14, 2009 10:48AM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 05:14, Mystification wrote:
I just have a hard time with the whole premise. Why dunk a ring into a hot liquid? Afterwards, why cant they dump the hot liquid out to see if the ring is in there?
[/quote]

The liquid can be dumped out if one uses a gaffed cup. Has anyone who has made one of these comment on how easy they are to make and the ease of handling the cup?

jeff
The cups are simple to gaff. I recommend the "grande" size. WELL worth the effort!!
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 15:29, Balaram wrote:
The cups are simple to gaff. I recommend the "grande" size. WELL worth the effort!!
[/quote]

I agree with your point. I like the cup routine.
Message: Posted by: The great Gumbini (Aug 15, 2009 01:02AM)
The cups are easy to make. If I can do it believe me anyone can!

Good magic to all,

Eric
I visit a restaurant quit often and there are a lot of other men that gather around and talk about the stock market and politics. Can you say if I could present this effect using the restaurant's cup. Being after the vanish the coffee is toxic, can I go outside and throw the coffee on their garden of flowers without harming the environment? Secondly, will the coffee cup be able to be put in the bin with the other dishes the restaurant takes to the dish washer and I will be safe in knowing I have not killed or poisoned anyone?
What about having the cup resting on yr hand w the 2nd ring between the cup and yr hand, and presenting it as a penetration of the cup itself. Lifting the cup to reveal the 2nd ring after the first one has vanished...should take the heat off the liquid in the cup at the end?
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Sep 28, 2009 08:43PM)
Will the cup sit flat with the ring underneath?
[quote]
On 2009-09-28 21:43, The Great Smartini wrote:
Will the cup sit flat with the ring underneath?
[/quote]
Yes indeed. What a cool idea.
I put my cup of coffee on a little drawer box as you may see on the dvd.
Problem was that you could ear the rattle sound of the second ring inside the drawer box when moving.
So I put the second ring in a jewelry ring box with a cushion so that the ring was blocked in it. The cushion inside the jewelry box was dripped in some coffee. Afterwards I glued the ring box in my drawer. With this system you may shake the box without any rattle rattle sound.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jan 11, 2010 10:27PM)
Nice touch!
I'm very interested in this effect and am certainly looking to buy one but am slightly concerned about the size of the ring. There are no posts discussing this and I'm not sire if the ring will actually fit my finger. Obviously people have different size fingers and I feel that although the effect would still work and be very impressive it wouldn't look as nice as me taking the ring off my finger before doing the routine. Are there any options when buying this to have different size rings and maybe even different styles of ring?
Also on the topic of coffee magic this would be a nice to use in conjunction with John Kennedy's Mojoe which I have ordered and eagerly awaiting delivery! Just a thought..
The ring is one size fits almost all,it is a good looking ring too, and it is real, I wear a size 11, it was snug , but it can be, should be on your finger.
Hi thanks for the reply, unfortunately I think that the ring would be far too big for me as I'm only a size 9 and clearly 2 sizes up will simply drop off my finger. I was wondering if it's possible to modify the equipment slightly and of course carefully so that the ring is more to my size? I have an idea but it's difficult to explain here without exposure. I was thinking about carefully removing some material from the m***d. I know this is risky but I'm desperate to own this and at same time frustrated as I know that the ring will be far to big for me! any ideas?
I think the ring size is '/
Oops, didn't get to finish comment...