(Close Window)
Topic: Kutztown = Carney,Gazzo,Williamson
Kutztown 34th Magic Banquet Convention
If you thought we couldn't top last year, guess again.
Here's a little tease for ya.

That's right on Nov. 14th in Kutztown PA. 2009
We already booked David Williamson, Gazzo, John Carney, Geoff Williams, Kainoa Harbottle plus a lot more to add.
This will be CRAZY!!!!!

And before you ask , YES , there will be a free all you can eat dinner.

Todd Kent
Food and Magic! Two things I certainly like.

Last year was great. To beat it will be tough.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Sounds great Todd! Kyle and I will be there as we already have it marked on our calendar. Going to be a great time for sure. We will also be able to help if you need it just let us know. =)
Just marked it down. Carney and Williamson will be great, and that other guy is no slouch either!
It will be bigger, it will be better. Mark it down. This is one you will not want to miss!
Oh man. How far is Kutztown from Philadelphia?
Todd
You did it again David Williamson will be great. No open heart surgery for me this year, I'll be there.

Kutztown is about 60 miles from Philly
That's an incredible line up. Hope to be able to make this year's Kutztown.
Todd

Like I said at May Day, As soon as tickets go on sale I'll have my 2, I will not miss a Kutztown Convention and I suggest that others hold the same ideal.
Kutztown is 1 hr from Philly, Harrisburg, poconos
and 1 1/2 hrs from NYC, South Jersey, Baltimore

I think Bob Sanders has everybody beat in distance (Alabama)
I guess if Bubba is coming, I'll have to go.
I have it marked on my calendar, too.
[quote]
On 2009-06-08 17:50, Geoff Williams wrote:
I have it marked on my calendar, too.
[/quote]

You better, lol

Todd
Knowing Todd, there are sure to be some more surprises.
Stay tuned....
Hope to see a lot of you there.
I should show up just to show you guys how to make a Salisbury Steak dinner disappear! :)
Airship
If you show up I'll buy your dinner.
[quote]
On 2009-06-11 15:32, Al Angello wrote:
Airship
If you show up I'll buy your dinner.
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHA you're one slick cat Al.
Man, Al, that is the best offer I've had this year!

I'd love to come, but I'm not really built for travel anymore. :(
[quote]
On 2009-06-12 12:42, airship wrote:
Man, Al, that is the best offer I've had this year!

I'd love to come, but I'm not really built for travel anymore. :(
[/quote]

Airship,
I'll even pick up your lunch

Todd
I'll be there bright and early! Looking forward to it!

S. Patrick
Update: We will have everything finalized soon and have the registration materials ready to go within the next week or two. IF you want to be e-mailed all the info. directly, send me an e-mail and I will put you on the Kutztown List to receive the flyer, registration, etc. E-mail me at revmike@ptd.net as I will be handling all the registrations.

We have all the stuff that made the convention great and have added a lot of new features you will be hearing about. Stay tuned.

M. Reist
Someone please stop me.
I'm booking to many acts. I'm getting so addicted.

I just booked ROCCO.

Help me stop this madness

Williamson, Carney, Gazzo, Rocco, Geoff Williams, Kainoa + ?????? more to come
All this for $45
o yeah , and a FREE all you can eat dinner

Todd
Is there a website? Sounds interesting!
We're in the process of making one.

Todd
Are there dealers? Will those listed above be lecturing/performing?
Lecturing is David Williamson, John Carney, Gazzo

Stage and close up is Williamson, Carney, Gazzo, Geoff Williams, Rocco*
Rocco stage and dealer only.

Dealers from all over the country. We try to have each dealer with different merchandise than the other.

Plus a free all you can eat dinner, auction, flea market, etc...

A schedule will be up soon for times
Sounds awesome. I'm marking my calendar now.
It will be a great time and kelly and I are glad to help out and assist in any way we can.

Kyle
We hope to have everything released on either Monday evening, June 22nd or Tuesday, June 23rd. Keep your eyes open. Not only will we be sending it to people who notify us, plus Rings and Assemblies, I will also attach the materials to a post when it is ready to go.

We may be biased, but we believe this is the best one day convention in the entire United States. Gazzo, Rocco, Geoff Williams, John Carney, David Williamson. Plus, I am sure there will be more announcements to come later. Don't miss this.

Again, if you want to receive the materials directly, just contact me at revmike@ptd.net - Thanks and looking forward to seeing everybody.

M. Reist
Mike
I will tell you what makes Kutztown better. Other magic conventions hire great lecturers, but Kutztown hires great performers. Keep it up Todd, and magicians from all over the country will make the anual trip to Kutztown, Pa. every November.
I would have to disagree with Al a little here. I think what makes Kutztown great is the fact that EVERYTHING is thought out. There are good performers AND great lecturers combined with wonderful people, fun dealers and put together by a group of people who really help each other out.

In this way, there is something for everyone regardless of your taste or perference. If you love a great lecture, you will find it. If you love a good performance, you will find that to.

Combine that with a wonderful dinner included in your price, and you really have something special. I am proud to be a part of it and helping put it all together.

Kyle
Kyle
4 me it is all about the headliner, and when the headliner is someone I really admire for his performance skill I will travel several hundred miles to see him. For example I turned down two shows just to see Daryl at Kutztown.
I totally hear you there Al. I am just saying that Kutztown has a good combination of both skilled lecturers and skilled performers. There is an equally good balance so that whatever your preference, you will have something to go to and enjoy and get something out of.

Kyle
Al I agree with you on I would travel 100+ miles to see someone I admire.
that's why I booked these guys this year.
John Carney - a historian of magic, a Dai Vernon student, and one of the most creative magicians out there.
David Williamson - What can I say, one of the Best. To me this is a dream come true. David alone is worth the price.
Gazzo - the BEST busker out there in my book. No one better. I seen him live, and let me tell you within one minute he grows a crowd from 2 people to 50 people.
So if you want to learn strolling or busking come to Kutztown.

These three lectures are at least worth $45 each.
Then there performing close up and stage.

Yes I admit I'm biased but where else can you see this line up with an all you can eat dinner under $50?
Kyle
My point is I would go to Kutztown if I did not have friends there, I would go to Kutztown if I had to buy my own dinner, and I would go to Kutztown if they did not have a great auction.
It is a great convention. There is indeed so much for everyone. A very good balance. Every year we are trying to make it even bigger and better then the last. I will say this much. I am just amazed and privileged to be a part of the reading area group that helps put this together. I have never seen such a great group of folks who work together and oicth in to make this happen every year.

Kyle
Al ,
I'll buy you lunch.
Todd,

Just save enough money so you can buy Kel and I lunch while you are at it. hehehe

Kyle
[quote]
On 2009-06-21 16:26, magic4u02 wrote:
Todd,

Just save enough money so you can buy Kel and I lunch while you are at it. hehehe

Kyle
[/quote]

OOOhhh I have a surprise for you guys. I'm auctioning off your RED jacket.
Well if you ever did, it would bring in TOP DOLLAR!!! lol That jacket has history and style. lol We should put it in a room and charge admission for folks to see it and get their picture taken with it. lol
Message: Posted by: The Great Stevini (Jun 21, 2009 06:08PM)
What? What did you say? I can't hear you over that jacket.

Posted: Jun 21, 2009 7:11pm
Man! My daughter is turning 4 on Nov 14th. And I really wante to see Geoff Williams! I'll try and make the evening show.

-Steve
Hey no making fun of the Red Jacket of Myserty. It may get upset. lol Last year when it showed up, the folks went wild. It spent 30 minutes taking pictures with people. lol

Kyle
Wasn't Michael Finney wearing it?
No. He actually admired my jacket so much he bought an imitation RJOM and wore that instead. lol
Hi guys, I promised to post all the info for the Kutztown Convention but apparently the file is too large. So just contact me and I will e-mail you all the materials. Contact info is: Michael Reist at (610) 698-0311 or e-mail at revmike@ptd.net

If you would like to be a dealer please contact Todd Kent at todd@tkoinstallations.com

Thanks and hope to see many of you at Kutztown.

Mike
PM'd you my email. Thanks!
If any of you are on Facebook we set up an event page for the convention (actually Kelly Peron did). Check it out, jsut another way to exchange information and keep up to date on whats going on. I know there will be more announcements coming up as we get closer.
I am also working with Kel on other ideas for advertising and will let you all know. The more we ca get this great information out there, the better. It is going to be an awesome convention.

Kyle
Hi just wanted to let everybody know the preregistration date of aug 15 for kutztown magic day is almost here tickets are $45.00 after that date the tickets go up to $55.00 so get your tickets now before the price goes up
To registar you can use paypal the address is assembly92@aol.com
hope to see you there
Reminder:

The $10.00 discount period for the Kutztown Convention ends on Aug. 14th. After that the All Day price, including meal rises to $55.00 (still a fantastic bargain) but wanted to remind everyone they can save $10.00 by registering and sending their payment now.

Mail your form and payment to me:
Michael L. Reist
11 Boonetown Road
Birdsboro, PA 19508

or you can pay via paypal at Assembly92@aol.com but I still need your registration form either mailed to me or scanned and e-mailed.

My personal e-mail is revmike@ptd.net if you have any questions.

AS you have seen from the previous posts we have a great line-up including Geoff Williams, Rocco, Gazzo, John Carney and David Williamson.
Registrations have been coming in steady, so for those of you who have not registered yet, remember that the best one-day convention on the East Coast is coming up quicker than you realize.
TODD
Is it true that the Kutztown MC will be the famous "wild man" Bob Little?
You got Al.

This might be the best convention we ever had...
Yes indeed. Wild Man Bob Little will be MCing the show this year. This year is going to be even bigger and better then last year. If anyone was at last years event, you know how hard that is. Last year was amazing and this year will be even better. So if you are thinking of coming out, register early.

Kyle
This year as other years I will be offering to teach "the boomerang" rubber band trick to anyone who ask's me. The boomerang rubber band is an oral tradition that was taught to me by Don Cox. Don taught it to me for free, and I teach it for free too.
When you arrive at Kutztown, you will find a few more surprises. You have heard all about the headliners - Well, there's even more stuff happening, honest!!!
I'm looking forward to another good one.

See you folks there.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Note: Mingus is having trouble right now with their website, so any questions or if you need any info PM me or e-mail at revmike@ptd.net - Thank you.
We can now share the news that our Magic Auctioneer will be none other than Marc Desouza. Marc will be with us and besides presiding over the auction will have his wonderful new 4 DVD set with him for sale.
Kutztown IS getting better by the day, especially with Marc DeSouza as the Auctioneer.
But it might be getting even better. I should have all the loose ends tide up by the weekend.

Todd
Some more news coming today or tomorrow, but in the meantime, we still have some Flea Market Tables available for the convention. If interested, PM me for the details.

Mike
OK guys , here's the hotel info I promised. Same place as last year and same discount.

Sleep Inn $65

[url=http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-allentown-pennsylvania-PA068/Hotel-Map?maphotel=PA068&country=US&sid=0O7f.na_ghgja5i.2&sarea=84933&sname=Allentown&sstate=PA&scountry=US&sradius=40.22&slat=40.608497619628906&slon=-75.46636962890625&schain=Z&scity=Allentown&sort=&month=11&day=14&depart_month=11&depart_day=15&nroom=1&nadult1=1&nchild1=0&nadult2=1&nchild2=0&nadult3=1&nchild3=0&nadult4=1&nchild4=0&nadult5=1&nchild5=0"]link[/url]

Located :327 Star Road , Allentown, PA, US, 18106 |Phone: (610) 395-6603

Please make sure you tell them it's for the Kutztown Magic Convention to get your discount

Todd
We also added some more names to the convention.
We were given an extra room to use. So I invited Kainoa Harbottle, Eric Jones Aaron DeLong and Tony Miller With maybe one or two to add to the line up. These guys are going to put on a close up /parlor show on through out the day.
These guys are the best of the best of the underground magic.
In my eyes Kainoa is the most entertaining coin freak you'll ever see.

So for $55
you get:

Rocco, Gazzo, Williams, Carney, Williamson -on Stage

Gazzo, Williams, Carney, Williamson -For the evening close up show

3 lectures by Gazzo, Carney , Williamson

Afternoon parlor show by Kainoa, Eric Jones , Aaoron Delong, Tony Miller

An Auction - the Auctioneer no other than Marc Desouza

Dealers

And of Course The FREE ALL U CAN EAT DINNER

The best one day convention anywhere

Todd
[quote]
On 2009-10-02 15:07, TKO MAGIC wrote:
OK guys , here's the hotel info I promised. Same place as last year and same discount.

Sleep Inn $65

Located :327 Star Road , Allentown, PA, US, 18106 |Phone: (610) 395-6603

Please make sure you tell them it's for the Kutztown Magic Convention to get your discount

Todd
[/quote]
How close it the hotel to the convention site?
Remember - While you can absolutely just come and register at the door the day of the event, in order to get the dinner, we need your registration by Nov. 1st.

E-mail revmike@ptd.net - I also attached the registration form here and in another post. There is also a longer form giving details about flea market, auction, directions, etc. I can e-mail you.
[/quote]
How close it the hotel to the convention site?
[/quote]

It's 15 minutes from the convention
You can probably find hotels closer. But I like this hotel because 1. it's clean, 2. the location is dead center where all the highways are I-78, rt.22, rt. 100, Turnpike 476 and rt.222 3. FREE continental breakfast, 4. after the convention we all go to Bostons it's a restuarant/bar

I hope this helps Ken and I hope to see ya there.
Here is an updated reg form now with the hotel info on.

Mike
Just a reminder - basically 3 weeks now for the reg. deadline for the free meal. After that you can still register but we cannot guarantee a meal.

Mike
Don't miss out on one of the best and by far the best value convention. Only a couple more weeks to register and get the free meal.

Contact me with any questions.
Registrations are starting to come in fairly rapidly now. Just remember at the beginning of Nov. we will stop taking "dinners" because of needing to give the count to the caterers. However, you will still be able to register after that, but we cannot guarantee a meal.

And to answer a question, yes you can register at the door that day for the convention, but again, we would not be able to inlude you in the free dinner.

Let me know if you have any questions at all. As we said before, this will be a great convention with a few other surprises to come that have not been announced.

Gazzo, Rocco, Geoff Williams, John Carney & David Williamson plus much, much more.
Reminder - Meal Deadline for Kutztown has been extended to Nov. 4th.

Registrations are now coming in fast and furious. Remember you see:

Rocco, Geoff Williams, Gazzo, David Williamson and John Carney in the Evening Show - Lectures by Gazzo, David Williamson and John Carney. Magic Flea Market (Tables still available), Magic Auction (Marc DeSouza is the Auctioneer); Underground Parlor Show all day with Kainoa Harbottle, Eric Jones, Chastain Criswell. Dealers with all types of Magic.

You can register via mail or paypal - Paypal is Assembly92@aol.com - Just in the note section put your full name, address, phone & e-mail and you don't need to send in a physical registration.

New Registration form attached.

PM or e-mail me with any questions - revmike@ptd.net
Wow, I just found out Kainoa Harbottle and Eric Jones will be there as well.
This is like a coin seminar by some of the greatest.
How does Todd bring in so much great talent and still be the cheapest convention around? This is going to be one crazy day. I really didn't put it all together until I actually read all the names at once:
John Carney,
David Williamson,
Rocco,
Gazzo,
Geoff Williams,
Marc DeSouza,
Kainoa Harbottle,
Eric Jones,
Chastian Criswell

I also been told there will be a few more surprises, incredible!!!
Last call to all to get your registrations in for the free meal. Remember, you can continue to register right up to the day of the convention - Yes you can just show up, but I give the head count for the meal to our caterer in a couple days, so get it in now. If you are going to mail me a check and reg. e-mail me or call me to let me know to include you in the meal count.

Mike

You can call me if you have any questions - 610-698-0311
Meal count goes to caterer on Nov. 5th at 3:00.

If you want to register to get the meal, call me in the AM (Eastern Time) and we'll get you in the count for the meal.

Mike - 610-698-0311

Remember: John Carney, David Williamson, Rocco, Geoff Williams, Gazzo, Kainoa Harbottle, Eric Jones, Chastain Criswell - All for $55.00 - Free meal if you get me your info by tomorrow before 3:00 - Call me rather than e-mail to verify I know you are registering as I may be away from computer most of the day.

Should be a great day.

PS - You can still register anytime after tomorrow including just showing up at the door on the 14th but you would not get the meal.
Working on one more surprise Mike. Am I driving you nuts yet?
Can't wait for the convention this year! It's def going to be a great time. Look forward to seeing everyone again.

-Bill
99.999986% chance I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing Carney, Williamson and a bunch of friends. Bill Citino too.
Remember - Not too late to register. The registrations keep coming in!!!
I was on the fence until I heard Pepka's gonna be there- I'm in!
Mike
Me Too
Just wanted to let everybody know that if they didn't register yet for the meal, I have one more chance I was unaware of. The caterer told me she would not actually order the food until Monday afternoon (Nov. 9th) - If you call me, or e-mail me by Sunday evening and let me know for sure you are coming, I will take your name and make sure you get a meal.

You can then pay by paypal (Assembly92@aol.com) or mail me a check payable to Assembly 92. My phone is 610-698-0311 - Thanks.

Also, keep in mind you can still register after that and even show up the day of the convention and register, but then you simply would not have the meal but be part of everything else.

Hope to see a lot of you there. - Mike
So, I was unable to convince anyone in my IBM ring to join me in venturing out to Kutztown. Anyone else lacking a partner in crime that wants to 50/50 a hotel room? PM if interested.
I know we have a lot coming from the Pittsburgh area. Let me see what I can do.
It is going to be a GREAT convention folks. I am really looking forward to it to hang with old friends and new ones as well. it is great to be able to work with a fine group to help put this together.

Stop on over if you see me to say hello. I will be sharing a small delaer table with a good friend to sell my newest book and such. Should be great.

For those on the fence about going, you simply do NOT want to miss out on this. You are getting so much great talent and dinner for such a greta price. You really simply can not beat it. New better location and the convention just keeps getting bigger and better each year.

see you guys there.

Kyle
Couldn't say it better myself. Kyle, will the Red Jacket be with you at Kutztown? When you wear it, we generally don't lose sight of you.
Hehehe I will have it with me and at least have it in the truck. I may bring it in for folks to take pictures with hehehe. That is if people are nice. I will also bring my camera with me to take pics of the entire day's events. maybe we can use the shots in marketing for next year.

This seriosuly is going to be a wonderful convention. I really mean it when I say that we have a great group of people who all pitch in to make this work. there is no other way we could do this without everyone helping as they do.

great friends, Good times, great magic, great talent and great food for that price? I say that is a winner.
Kyle, I'll bring my shades just in case the jacket gets too intense.

Remember, still time to sign-up and join this great convention.
Lol no problem. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone there and helping make it a wonderful event.

Kyle
I'm loading up today. Will be there Friday night for Kutztown.

Saturday is the big day!

From there I go to Assembly 32 in Lynchburg, VA to lecture.

SAM Assembly 32 THE HERSY BASHAM ASSEMBLY,

THIRD TUESDAY (except July and August)

7:30 PM at THARP FUNERAL HOME,

220 Breezewood Drive

LYNCHBURG , VA

Bob, See ya Saturday. Looks like we got a big turnout this year.
More than double of last year maybe.

Todd
I think we will easily double what we had last year. There will be walk ups and with the newspaper articles, I think we should have a lot of folks coming for the evening show. Really looking forward to it. See you guys early Saturday.

Kyle
A great, great time should be had by all. However, after this weekend is over, I will probably need a nice, long nap.
I hear you there. But it will be a nap with a smile on your face. kelly and I should be there early tomorrow to help set up and such. See everyone then.
Well, Skotster will be heading out any moment now...
See you there. Make sure to stop by the table and say hello.
OK it's 12:30 am just got home, need to get a lot more down for tomorrow.
Looks like I'll get 2 hrs of sleep. aaaa it's worth it.

Todd
Hey All,

Here at the Kutztown Convention! So far this has been a really fun affair. All the lectures and performances have been "spot on" (as Gazzo might say). There were plenty of items on auction. I was expecting to see a few more dealer tables at this event. However the ones that came had plenty of good stuff. I picked up my first set of liberty coins for $10 each.

Lectures:

Gazzo opened the "lecture series" by showing us his performances of Tossed Out Deck and his Egg Bag routine. I was very pleased how he incorportated a coin in the egg bag routine. John Carney followed next by presenting several effects along with tips on stage presence, presentation, and creativity. Lastly was David Williamson. The Man Killed! His lecture woke up the entire assembly with his unique brand of comedy and magic. Did I say he Killed!?

Close up Shows:

Each performance was unique and memorable. Each magician performed for a small group of people and then rotated around to the table and set of attendees. As the close-up shows continued there grew a friendly battle of wits between David Williamson and Gazzo. No winners there.

I must say that I was disappointed not to see Eric Jones performing during the close-up show. I know him to be an excellent coin and card worker and could have very easily held his own among the other close-up performers.

I am now waiting for the Stage Show as they announce the winners of the Chinese Auction.

It's been a long day that has gone by much too quickly.

Wish you were here.
Kutztown was a blast.
To the organizers and the men and women who produced and staffed the Kutztown convention:

You done good. Real good. Thank you for a superb convention, expertly run.
I like to give the organizers two thumbs up as well. There were many fun moments and the David Williamson finale was one the funniest acts I have ever seen. Too bad I can't describe to anyone, you just had to be there.
I'd like to give two thumbs up and also the one from a Third Hand! It was a great show. The lectures and the close up were outstanding. I think a couple of the performers "took it easy" during the stage show, which had lots of improvised horseplay (and funny), but was a little light on Magic (referring to Williamson, who at one point told the audience, when a hula hoop skit didn't seem to have a finale . . . "I got no act."). Williamson's antics were hilarious in the close up and lecture, but to me, the stars of the stage show was Rocco (although Carney and Williams also "brought it" in the evening as well as the afternoon). Rocco's glittery productions to music were phenomenal. Williams, Carney, Gazzo, and the manically incomparable Williamson were great throughout the day, but seemed to be running at about 80 percent of capacity during the stage show. On the whole, it was a treat of great comedy magic, and the organizers did a fantastic job.
Thank you guys for the kind words...

Todd and Mike do almost all of the upfront work throughout the year to make this convention happen. I got to talk to a lot of people yesterday (getting name tags for those of us working the convention might have been a bad idea) but I did not many complaints. The only thing I heard was about dinner being slow and we already have ideas to speed that up. Let us know if you have any constructive comments.

We had a GREAT turnout by the public for the evening show, probably had 500+ people? At one point, during dinner, I went out the front door and found about 100 people waiting to get in. So I did what any good magician would do, put on an impromptu show. I was joined by some of my fellow magi and we kept them entertained long enough to clean up dinner and let them in.

Thanks,
I'm sooooo tired but it was worth it. Unfortunately I really did not get a chance to watch much of anything except the evening show because of running around with doing stuff to help make it work but it was still worth it.

Great day. Turnout from public fantastic. Already some ideas to smooth out a few wrinkles which are going to happen when you are in a new venue, new caterer, a huge turnout.

Wheels already spinning on those. We appreciate all the nice comments and the constructive criticism.

And the last thing I would like to add is many thanks to those in the club and outside in to wives, children, etc. that helped in so many ways. Most people have seen my name up and Todd's name up on the Café, but the truth is quite a few people helped. Thank you.
I would also like to thank everyone for their kind words about trhe convention. It was a pleasure assiting the group in putting this togteher. This absolutely is a TEAM effort. There is no way one or 2 people could ever do it all. It woprks simnplky because of a dedicated staff of great people all chipping in to take control of different aspects of it. These people I call friends and I am so glad to know that every single one of them can be counted on to do what needs to be done.

I was amazed at the magicians turning out this year (almost double last years amount). I was also blown away with the amount of public turning oput for the evening performance. As ryan said, we had lines out the door, down the bloack and around the school. I was glad to be abloe to grab somne stuff and work the back of the line as Ryan and others worked the front.

I want to thank you all for coming out and shoiwng your support. This convention is for all of you and we strive to try and make it better every year.

Kyle
I thought the guys did a great job on this convention. A few things I didn't care for were the dealers "hallway", the fact that you couldn't see everything, (always something going on, no down time) the lack of Mr. Mysto, (probably not their fault) and Gazzo, like Monty Python, I just don't get it. Really didn't care for him flipping off other crowds during the close-up show. Williamson was just fantastic, and I will say that Carney is the greatest sleight of hand worker today. The addition of the close-up room was cool, and had a great selection of some very talented workers.

All in all, a very good convention, especially for the price.
Here is my short review of the convention:

First, the new venue was fantastic. Plenty of room and great views from anywhere in the room. I hope the venue stays the same for next year.

As usual, Todd and the guys had a great line up of performers. I don't know how they do it all for $55.

David Williamson is one of my favorite magicians and I disagree with my new friend Mumblemore above. I thought it was brilliant on how David closed the show with 4 little kids on stage, a snare drum/cymbal, hoola hoop and Rocky Raccoon. It does appear that he is making this up as he goes along (I'm sure there were plenty impromptu moments), but he had a basic structured set and just went with the moment. I doubt that there are many entertainers, given the same props could turn that into the hilarity that I witnessed that night. David Williamson is definitely INSANE.

Marc Desouza, is a master when it comes to auctions and did a great job. I think it was more of a "sellers" auction with not many bargains. Time did run out and some people did not get to auction off their stuff.

The lectures were very good, but perhaps a bit rushed to stay on schedule.

I do agree with Pepka that maybe a new area is needed for the dealers.

I didn't get to enjoy the parlor room with Eric Jones and the other magicians/dealers that were in there as there was always something else going on. Maybe someone else can comment on how that went.

The last thing, perhaps a bit negative, is the food. It was not terrible...it was just OK. I know what you're thinking, why would anyone complain about food when you are paying $55 for all the magical talent/dealers and the food should be just a bonus. This is absolutely true, except I'm comparing it to last year. The meal last year was just like a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner, with people at long tables, sharing and passing bowls of food like one big family. The food at this convention was the "processed" type you may get at a typical low end diner.

That being said, I'm looking forward to next year with or with out food as it is a fantastic value and a great time to spend with friends.

Rich B.
Appreciate the comments so far. As far as too much or not enough that is always a tought act because everybody has a different opinion. I know I was very rushed and we always had something going on. A lot of people like that fact. Others wish there was more downtime, so it is always a question of where you draw the balance.

We will certainly look at those issues and others. We know it was not perfect, but felt with a new venue that was new to us, new caterer, a big evening crowd (never before happened), and other things, overall we are happy, but will try to address concerns and make it even better next year. You can count on that.

Thank you again to all who came out.

Mike
Thanks for the comments. I thought the convention was great. We received a lot of great feedback.
I agree with some of the comments too.
What's funny is some people didn't like this.... and some people loved this....of the same thing or performer.
I had at least 10 people with in 2 minutes say they love having the dealers in the hallway cause they don't feel like they're bothering the lectures or auction. then 5 minutes after that I had 3 people say they wish the dealers were in the auditurium.
Then some people didn't like how long it took for there food and at the same time they said there was no down time????? huh????
Yes this convention is fast pace, and I plan on keeping that way. What is the difference of having two lectures than three. You don't have to see all the lecturers.
Then people complain about the wierdest things like the auction was to short, or I did not like the dessert, or it's crowded, or the other bathroom is too far away, or we ran out of soda after dinner when it was advertise we supply lunch not late snacks, or the best one I heard and this is two years in a row - do you know who I am, people invite me , I shouldn't have to pay. Let me tell ya something - I even pay for myself and I pay for my kids and they helped out. Nancey at the registration desk pays and she sits at that door all day.

I BUST my AZZ on this convention every year and I'm sick of the stupid complaints.
You got to witness four of the worlds greatest magicians on one stage and a dinner for $55 plus lectures, auction, flea market, chinese auction, close up show and DAVID WILLIAMSON taken the time through out the day to sit down with EVERYBODY and talk magic and teach magic. WHAT MORE CAN YOU ASK FOR/??????
A lot of people don't know what goes on behind the scenes, like having a illusionist cancelling on us, or the microphone breaking back stage, or having 800 people you didn't know about showing up, or the catering people being understaff for a good reason,or what went wrong during Gazzo's act (I'll let him explain it if he wants, it would've been the funniest bit through the whole night.)or club members saying they'll help but when time comes up.........., or one of the main comittee members got dizzy and passed out, came back and still helped.

LIsten , I love criticism, I need it to make the convention better. I agree with Pepka and Rich B. that's why we left the Grange Hall. Could you imagine us at the Grange hall Grange this year??????
We grow and Grow every year it's a learning process. Sometimes we have to sacrifice one thing for another.
Would you guys want to eliminate the dinner???

Any ways I want to Give special thanks to some people who are not on the committee, Eric Jones (if you ever need anything call me), Chastian Criswell, David Williamson, Dan's wife, The guy from Pittsburgh helping with the tables ( I wish I knew your name)Amy and Corey (just running to the store for Rocco is an all day project), Rocco and Geoff Williams they know why, my kids for helping out this year (though I do have to pay them) and most important Kainoa Harbottle the most generous magician out there today. He drives from Delaware every year to help out and perform and always has to leave before the stage show (I'm in debt to you Kainoa)

Other than that it was the best convention.

Todd Kent

PS. wait until you see who I have for next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark you calendars now. Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010.

You won't want to miss it.
Great convention as always! Congrats to Todd and the crew for putting on a good one. I saw some old friends and met some new ones. I can't wait for next year. Todd always tops the previous year's convention. I can't wait for next year to see what's/who's lined up!!! I'll def be there!
I drove in from New Jersey for the evening show with my brother and nearly missed out on parking and seats.

I'm a huge fan of Rocco, Gazzo and David Williamson. I would have driven the 2 hours each way to see any one of them. But all three?

Awesome!

I'd just seen Rocco's routine on Masters of Illusion. Seeing it live was even more beautiful and captivating. No camera cuts. It's like he creates/finds himself in this real fantasy. Some gave him a standing ovation, and rightfully so.

I saw Gazzo work an audience, live.

I saw David Williamson pick a kid from the audience and then just make him lie on the stage for the next 10 minutes while he did a card trick for someone else. And I saw Rocky. That was a special moment for me. My brother, not a magician, said "They saved the best for last."

Geoff Williams was a real pro with a hysterical act. Handled mic problems so well it created some of the show's best moments, in my opinion.

And I enjoyed watching John Carney's cons unfold. I wish I was up close for that.

I also was glad to see the public take advantage of such an amazing opportunity.
Todd...after reading your post, I looked at what I wrote and it sounded a bit on the negative side. I hope most people did not take it that way.

I attend most lectures/conventions in the area and some national. The Kutztown Convention is the best 1 day convention I ever attended...hands down.

The food was a bit of a disappointment for me only because I was comparing it to the previous year in which it was spectacular. Having food at the convention is a great addition...I think everyone would agree.

If you're not thinking of attending next year...you will really be missing out on a fantastic time. I don't know who the performers will be next year...but I do know they will be top notch. They always are.

Rich B.
TODD
Just between you and me. If you keep booking the first class talent that you have been booking at your convention you just may have to move it to the Souverign Center. At my dinner table there were magicians from all over the east coast to see the FOUR headliners that you booked.
Thanks for your comments everyone. They are constructive and helpful.

It's funny the things you remember. I had a few "bad apples" that complained about some of the dumbest things throughout the day. However I had MANY more people tell me we were doing a good job. We even had guys like Skootster (Scott) who drove from Pittsburgh by himself and ended up helping us move tables and chairs, and this was a guy none of us knew before that day. Thank you! The good out weigh the bad, as always. One of the things I got a chuckle out of is that all of the performers that have been there over the years have been the nicest people. You would suspect attitude from these guys, but instead we get it from "locals".

Thanks and hope to see everyone next year.
Ryan said "One of the things I got a chuckle out of is that all of the performers that have been there over the years have been the nicest people. You would suspect attitude from these guys, but instead we get it from "locals".

This is so true, Williamson has to be the most down to earth magician along side Michael Finney that I ever met.
Geoff WZilliams is another great person. For him to put up with Tony for a whole day say's a lot about someone.
Really though, all five of those guys took the time to meet and greet every single person. It was awesome to participate in.

It was so great to watch Williamson grab his props from whatever was laying backstage.