(Close Window)
Topic: Making Swords
Ok, here's the situation...My parents went away on a week's vacation and— they left the keys to the brand new Porsche. Will they mind, uhm, well, of course not! Ooops...sorry, had a Fresh Prince moment for a second. **** codeine... **** oral surgeon...

Anyway, here's the REAL situation...

I need to build two swords for my flying carpet. Any one know how I can do this fairly easily?
Metal ones?
Metal...would be nice.
I haven't done this, but I remember reading something along this line.

A good hardware store will have aluminum blanks for a variety of purposes. Angles are often used as corner pieces for illusions and/or cases. They will have 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick bars that are 1, 2, 3 or 4 inches wide in lengths of 4 or 8 feet. Choose an appropriate thickness, width and length for your purposes. Cut the aluminum with a hack saw to the proper tip (simplest can be two intersecting 45 degree angles for a triangular point). The real trick is in polishing the metal. This can be done with a Dremel tool, buffing attachment and polishing rouge. Because aluminum oxidizes and dulls quickly, treat the polished blade with clear nail polish or some protective lacquer overcoat.

The hilt/handle is up to you. The simplest form would be to sandwich the blade between two pieces of wood shaped like a sword handle (with a channel routed out to accept the aluminum blade). Secure together by running two bolts through half the handle, the blade and then the other half of the handle. Decorate the handle as you desire.

0pus
Opus has a very good way to do so, but I would advise you to be careful. Another way to do so is to learn metal forging. I have friend that does this and has forged some beautiful swords that he uses for martial arts demonstrations.
Steve,
this may be a bit easier: cut the shape of the swords out of 1/8 inch plywood. Luan. Fill any voids with wood putty and sand to a very smooth finish. End with a 400 grit paper. Then get a "silver leaf" kit from a craft store. It's not really silver, but it looks just like it. (Also comes in imitation gold.) Apply the glue and rub on the silver leaf, and burnish to a high gloss. Then apply at least three coats of high gloss, clear poly. Did you get my last email? Let me know if this helps.
Jim
That's a better idea. It's easier and safer. Good idea James. :thumbsup: :applause:
Thanks, Dragona. I only know about this stuff because I used it on some picture frames in my apartment and found out how great it can look. By the way, what part of Jersey you from? I'm originally from South Jersey.
Jim

PS: Steve, the other thing you have to plan for is how to attach the swords to the underside of the carpet. You can use magnets but I went for velcro on mine.
Velcro sounds like a great idea.
They are cheap enough at flea markets or marts, or a place that sells cheap swords. I bought two excellent samurai swords for $30.

Use a search engine, however, it is better to look at them in person. I wanted wider ones.
Another quick suggestion on attaching the swords to the bottom of the carpet. Magnets & velcro are OK...but the best thing I have found is to make a little metal "sleeve" for the tips of the swords to go into. They are riveted to the bottom of the carpet and work much better.
magicalmischief
All these plans sound great, however, if you are going to use swords with a magic carpet, the ones everyone associates with magic carpets are "scimitars". If you need the basic shape of a scimitar for your plans, you can see a nice one at:

http://www.armory.net/item.cfm?RecordId=2006-KE

That should get you on your way nicely.

If you decide it's too much of a project because of time, etc..., let me know— I can probably whip you up one (or two) cheaply. But you should have no problem with it yourself with the instructions that have been given in your string here.
Steve :baby:
zzz