(Close Window)
Topic: My favorite Talker...
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 21, 2009 12:50AM)
The one and only...C.M. Christ...
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 21, 2009 12:53AM)
I'll try it Again...
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 21, 2009 01:03AM)
Once again C. M. Christ...(I Hope)
Neandro is great.
Chris is the best, "Well, well, well..."
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 21, 2009 01:35PM)
I said Chris is my Favorite...The "Best" would open a debate that would go on for years if not Decades...But while we are at it...Jimmy Long is my Favorite "Tent Boss"....
Jamie Leee Curtis had my favorite rack.
Does anybody here remember a guy by the name of George Ice from the 60's. He was a really strong talker.

Don
John Bradshaw and Ward Hall.
Diane Faulk gets extra points for the best line ..... "we have a bathroom"
"Best" was used loosely, What I meant was that Chris is also one of my favorites, he really is amazing especially when he starts having fun and ad libbing.
Does anyone remember Ted LaVelda on the old Famous Cole Circus Sideshow? Great talker. Another fine talker is Johnny Meah.

And the great voice of Wayne Kaiser(Ross M) is always a pleasure to hear. he does a terrific job with those grind tapes on his ballycast Cd. GET one if you don't have it.

Rod Pringle
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 22, 2009 09:00PM)
Doug, My Favorite was Gloria Grahame in GSOE....In fact sometimes I holler "Angel, ANGEL!!" at my Girlfreind...however, with very limited results....
How about Virginia Bell...no wait...has to be Dianne Weber....HELLO Nurse!

I was a talker (though in the topless night clubs we were Barkers...uhg.) in North Beach in the late 60's. I slammed 'em in like pretty good because of my Coney and sideshow experiences...hell, it was just another Girl Show...my voice would FROG up some nights and and it got pretty funny. In fact I got 'discovered' in front the of El Cid and that's how I got into Radio...anyway the story is one night I had this terrible head ache...so Art the mgr brings me this pill and some water...I drop the pill...about 5 hours or so later, I'm sitting in the club without a clue...it was like I'd been abducted by aliens...Art says..."I'm gonna give you that sh!!t every night! You jammed 'em in here!"

Now I have no clue what I did or said...turns out this moron had given me some psiliciden (don't know how to spell it)...mushroom stuff...so what ever it was I did and said it worked and packed the joint! I never will accept an asprin from even my Wife after that stupid move.

Exploits in that scene would fill a book...I just might write it up someday.
You North Beach talker were the best. I remember hearing you guys when I was a kid on vacation with my family. My parents kept me moving past those clubs, so I never got to stick around long enough for my taste. By the time I move to SF in the late 70s, the glory days of the talkers were over.

The doormen at the clubs in NYC are nothing, but a couple of the DJs have some great lines. "Guys, if you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your misery."
My first time in New Orleans I couldn't believe how effective the talker in front of a female impersonator place was. As virile young men we were a little repulsed by the idea of it, but this talker somehow got us and about a million others in on the idea that it would be hilarious, and it was. "They're all boys, boys, boys..."
As sordid as the job was, it was also interesting as well. In those days, there was a real band in most clubs (the good ones) and actual acts (though most were trumped up). I started there as an Esacpe act. One night, I worked the door as a favor and the 'bosses' (Believe me, they WERE the 'Bosses') made me an offer I couldn't refuse. (Yeah...kind of like that.) The money was better and since I was only doing the Escape stuff to eat (not from being any good at it) I moved to the 'Door'. I also got to move from my CRUMMYy room at the Swiss American Hotel to a nice new efficiency apt. over the Pepperment Tree. Considering who and what I was working for, (It is a Little Italy after all) I'm glad they liked me. (they thought I was a N.Y. character)...This was befoe it got really disgusting and truely at the time the 'Show' meant something. Sometimes I worked the Lights at one of the fancier shows and I was even able to re-invent my old 'Frostbite the Clown' Act for an odd little show called 'Nudes On Ice'. Comedy 'Pick Pocket' Ricky Dunn was in that one.

The 'Nudes' amounted to two girls who could barely stand up on skates who were topless with big feather head dresses ala Vegas. It was a lot of fun. (Especially in the dressing rooms. heh heh)

So many good stories...'The $49 Suit'...'The African Raven'...'Rodney Dangerfield gets 'had'..The arrival of The God Father'...Carol Doda and the 'other' Girls...a gun to my head (literally)...Getting to know Anton Lavey...'The Samoans...18 Cent Hot Dogs...The Repo Man expedition...The Waitresses, (definately R rated.)..the Club 'community'...The night I got 'stuck' in the Straight Jacket...The night a 'Big Star' Escape Artist made an ass of himself (and me)...The 'Birth' of Bottomless...My being held 'hostage' by 'The Boss'...The street characters, "Julius Caesar", The neighborhood pickpocket who also entertained us as he plied the marks...The Hookers and the beat cops...The Bouncers...The managers (all Damon Runyon characters)...Incedents with THE Stars, Rickey Nelson, Jackie Vernon, Lou Rawls, Rodney D, Dick Clark, Hell's Angels...Jim Brown...Janis Joplin...

I tell ya, for the short time I worked there it was packed with LIFE...most of it having nothing to do with 'Naked Co-eds LIVE On Stage!'
Ah--north beach, I can taste the stale cigarette smoke and smell the old beer...
'Our' clubs didn't have those 'no class' attributes. We were bright and shiny, sparkled with great rock and roll bands, Well heeled Couples and gentlemen of note, FRESH booze, be-u-ty-ful girls, suits and ties and only the occasional drunk tossed out on his ass. (very occasional) Of course that all changed in the 70's. Too bad.
Well you are a dozen years old than me..so I didn't get there until the 70s...Sorry I missed ya, but I was sucking my thumb in grade school and trying to figure out long division and why I would want to add and multiply letters of the alphabet
So...nothing's changed trhen huh?
Nope, although I can now do long division with a caculator
[quote]
On 2009-06-22 14:26, Magicman97 wrote:
And the great voice of Wayne Kaiser(Ross M) is always a pleasure to hear. he does a terrific job with those grind tapes on his ballycast Cd. GET one if you don't have it.[/quote]

Awfully nice of you, but I'm helpless without a script in front of me. The real pro's would leave me in the dust.
Hello Wayne:

I don't agree !!!! Your bally for EEKA is one of the best I ever heard . ANYWHERE!!! You are a PRO ..Your work is first class,... always!!!

ROD
Well I'm partial to Ward Hall and C.M. Christ (Neandro-Man!) I have also heard Marshall Brodein do a really good pitch for the reversable girl. I have to agree with the Curator, no one puts up a tent like Jimmy Long they don't. LOL!
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 17:14, Magicman97 wrote:
Hello Wayne:

I don't agree !!!! Your bally for EEKA is one of the best I ever heard . ANYWHERE!!! You are a PRO ..Your work is first class,... always!!!

ROD
[/quote]

Rod, God bless ya, but that bally is a long way from original ... I just thought the one in all the books needed some trimming down.

But maybe people could comment on this (and truly, I'm not trying to 'put on airs.') Many of you already know the (authentic vintage grind tape) segment on my 'Bally' CD where some bored guy seems to be fighting off sleep mumbling (with as little energy as a human can exhibit) "Alive. Alive. Alive." (Absolutely no italics or exclamation points deserved). And Scott Warmuth just alerted me to a web page that plays a few minutes of a grind tape that drew 'em in to Hubert's Museum on Times Square in days gone by ... hear it [url=http://hubertsfreaks.com/?page=grind]HERE[/url]. And when I heard it, my impression was that it was loaded with vintage flavor, but any one of us (certainly anyone who has ever spent 5 minutes on a stage) could give a more compelling delivery in their sleep. How this tape attracted anything like the crowd the owners hoped for, I can't imagine.

Am I missing something here?

AND YET... there are two cuts on the CD that feature "tiny animal" ballys, and the talkers make no effort to dramatize the attractions, these people could be your next door neighbors from the farm down the road a piece, but I find the appeals quite magnetic. I'd pay to see Tiny Cappy, the horse too small for even a child to ride ... nobody claims it's the weirdest or most extreme, but they sure convinced me that the animal is so cute I've just got to buy a ticket and go in.

Discuss?
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jun 30, 2009 08:47PM)
Here's another Shot of C.M. playin around...My Girlfreind shot this unique shot of C.M. at the Florida State Fair....
Gotta love the sunglasses on that pic Jim!
He's SO dreamy in those Foster Grants.

And has anyone notices that as Christ is getting older he is looking more and more like P.T. Barnum?
Barnum's quite a bit moldier, at this stage.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 13:40, Harley Newman wrote:
Barnum's quite a bit moldier, at this stage.
[/quote]

That's debatable.

And while we are on the topic of talking, I did a grind recording for Sideshows by the Seashore. It is a bit goofy because Dick Zigun wanted a train whistle in the thing. I took the idea from there, added in a bunch of sound effects, band organ music and the sound of Laffin' Sal. It cuts through all the din out there and has made some coin for the show. It is a blind grind in that no specific acts are pitched. If you email me at coneyislandtodd@aol.com I will send it to you. So there.
Can I have a Helicopter...or maybe a Fire Engine instead?
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 16:02, Doug Higley wrote:
Can I have a Helicopter...or maybe a Fire Engine instead?
[/quote]

For you Doug...anything.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 1, 2009 04:21PM)
HEY! I just recieved Todd's Pitch...Its EXCELLENT!....If you want a "Boot-Leg" copy and don't want to suck-up to Todd...Send $9.99 to The Curator (prompt Delivery)....
There is a local magician who has a great voice. He used to pack his shows just by shouting. He went to other peoples' shows and had this booming laugh that made people come see them too.
He was a fantastic Hawker, but a terrible performer.
Speaking of Outside Talkers, where did the term, "Barker" come from? :devilish:
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Jul 1, 2009 04:56PM)
Dpe666...Barker?, it came from Bob, He is a Tree Hugger that Hosted a semi-popular Game show...I am waiting so I can send Flowers....
I've heard a few stories of where the term barker came from.

I believe Todd has done a fair amount of research on this. Hopefully he'll weigh in on this.

I've always heard that it was kinda created by journalists, to describe what the talker was doing. I've also heard that "barker" was on old carny word for dog.
The term "barking" was an everyday word in the early 20th Century to describe the rhythmic spoken come-ons of street vendors (who were quite common in that day). "Come on we got tomatoes today girls, a tisket a tasket, I sell them by the basket." Used primarily by vendors at a stationary spot, such as a vegetable stand or the doorway to a show (perhaps most recently heard from the doorways of Times Square sex shows.) It's easy to see how the general public applied the term to the carnival talker.
I couldn't find anything fun about the entymology.

"the English word barker
derived from the English word bark
derived from the Proto-Germanic root *berkanan
using the English suffix -er
derived from the Proto-Germanic root *-arjaz
using the Latin suffix -arius (-ar)"
There are those who bark,
those who woof and a few
who yip and yap.
But I'd rather be a talker
'cause a barker's full of crap.
HAHA GOOD ONE DOUG!!! I heard that there are lumber jacks that have to strip the bark off the trees, They were called "barkers" I hope that doesn't go against your GRAIN! Cause I really went out on a limb to tell it.

Doug, did I tell you about the time I went into a grind show to see the EDUCATED SNAKES? I was surprised to see two snakes using calculators and they were really good with numbers. I asked the ticket taker what kind of snakes they were..he said they were " ADDERS" HAHAHAHAHA

LATER......

ROD