(Close Window)
Topic: James Biss' Impressionable Mind Board
I am trying to get one, ordered it from 3 different places but after 1-2 days , got an e-mail saying its out of stock and wont be re-stocked.
I don't know if this is the right section to post, but (it's a mentalism item)
does anyone know if Mr. Biss sells these directly or any source to buy them?
The IMB is a rip off
Get the Buma Board if you must have one of these devices

Sven
I've read about that but still, doesn't IBM look/work like a better version of Buma board?
Knowing the workings of both and owning the imb, I personly prefer the imb.
Me too.
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 09:59, Sven Rygh wrote:
The IMB is a rip off

Sven
[/quote]

Sven, like many I have to disagree. There was a huge debate about this on The Café. My friend has the Buma Board and I have the IMB. Both of us like the IMB better. I have used this in performance many times. The IMB is almost invisible to the minds of the audience and is a dream to get a p**k whilst on stage.

Send James a PM, he may be able to help you get one.
Aren't you holding it in your display picture kinesis?
The IMB can really be used throughout the show which I think is a great thing.
The IMB is great. [b]Get it![/b] I use it in almost all of my performances. Like Kinesis said, its a dream p**k, even if your not on stage.

Did you try the centertear? I'd pm James if not.

Daren
I tried mate, out of stock there too. I just pm'ed James also, thanks for the advice.
James is indeed a gentleman and seems always willing to respond to emails or PM's. I think that he does regularly run out of the boards but has always seemed willing in the past to keep individuals updated on when he'll have more available. At least, that's how I got mine!
I can't believe I forgot that I am holding the IMB in my avatar, D'Oh!!!

So there you have it, what better advertisement do you need.

FYI - The photograph is me performing 'Taking Pictures' from James Biss' new book 'Mind Blowing'. I re-styled the effect as a demonstration of remote viewing. The book is brilliant.
I have also heard that the IMB is better than Buma. If you want the same impact as the IMB but you want to be able to carry it around in your pocket try the Universal Impression at http://www.papercranemagic.com/ui.htm It has all the quality of the IMB and a few advantages that the IMB can't boast.
But as far as I know you need very expensive refills for universal impression.which is bad for me
I wonder why you think that? The Universal Impression comes with everything you need to last a lifetime for only 49.95. You may need to buy or a new marker but mine has lasted over 2 years and at least a thousand performances.
Thanks for your kind words guys! (Sven, you're holding a grudge, please move on as we all have. The Impressionable Mind Board is now used by well over twelve hundred performers world wide with great success - and as you see above - much enthusiasm. The other product has become a bit of a joke in the mentalism community and I think we've addressed your claim ad nauseum in anther thread. Your loyalty to it seems a bit disengenuine) ;>)

I'm going to include some new routines I've been enjoying of late, with a relaunched version of the IMB in the Fall. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

James
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 03:10, daghank wrote:
But as far as I know you need very expensive refills for universal impression.which is bad for me
[/quote]

So true. Over inflated price for a very small piece of the material.

The IMB is great. I have used it for years. James is a great guy and I am sure he can help you.

As far as the Buma/IMB debate...personally I feel these fall into the same category as Under the nail NW and Boon. Or a hard or soft TT..Same idea/principle, basically, just one is better for some folks than the other.
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 10:09, JamesBiss wrote:
we all have. The Impressionable Mind Board is now used by well over twelve hundred
[/quote]
--and a rip off
Sven it really is not a rip off, why go on and make yourself seem so bad?
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 12:24, Sven Rygh wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-24 10:09, JamesBiss wrote:
we all have. The Impressionable Mind Board is now used by well over twelve hundred
[/quote]
--and a rip off
[/quote]

Sven - do you mean a Rip-off in the sense that it isn't worth the money or that it's a cheap copy of the Buma Board or simply that it's based on an idea stolen from someone? The reason I ask is that you appear to feel very strongly about this. Now I don't want to start a HUGE thread on the subject. A one sentence answer will suffice.

IMHO I don't think the IMB is any of the above.

I should like to add that there was a member of Forth Valley Magic Circle in Central Scotland that created an impression board made from the same board as the Buma / IMB but his was secretly hidden within the cover of a hard backed book used to lean on whilst writing. This was WAY before either Buma / IMB. That person showed his creation to a few select members of the club. Sadly he never really used it much and it was soon forgotten about.

Peace to all.

Derek
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 10:44, gh256 wrote:
Knowing the workings of both and owning the imb, I personly prefer the imb.
[/quote]

me too. great tool. no downside.

J
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 08:39, daghank wrote:
I am trying to get one, ordered it from 3 different places but after 1-2 days , got an e-mail saying its out of stock and wont be re-stocked.
I don't know if this is the right section to post but ( its a mentalism item)
does anyone know if mr biss sells these directly or any source to buy them?
[/quote]

I just ordered one from Hocus-Pocus so I know they have them!

Good luck!
Bill
Sven,
It's strange to hear you say that IMB is a Rip-Off, when you yourself posted that you in fact participated in the unapproved sharing of construction information and created your own unauthorised version of my Clearly Q&A Board ?

The IMB is a realiable real time board for the worker, and I myself own two.

SB
Sebastian

With all due respect,

I got informations about CQ&A Board, and made a copy to try thje concept out.
If I had found it useful, I would have bought it to implement in my show.
People do such things pretty often, and also I, taken that I have real interest and the time.

Let me stress the fact that I grew up with, and learned certain standards in my home when it comes to honesty, ethics and moral.
Believe it or not, given that I have found your product useful, I would never, repeat never have implemented it in my show and performed it for money without having bought the product, - and the rights to perform it from you.
That would in my mind have been theft.

As some of you should know by now, I didn't like it,didn't purchase it from you, dumped what I made up, and have swiped it off my mind.

It is a huge difference between that, and to taking other people's ideas, creations,concepts or products, manufacturing it with no permission or reference, to sell it on the market for good money.

That's among other things what ripping off is as I see it.

Sven
[quote]
On 2009-06-23 09:59, Sven Rygh wrote:
The IMB is a rip off

Sven
[/quote]

Now, now Sven, let's not get into that argument again.

IMB is not a rip off, the Buma board, while an excellent tool, does not have the same flexability of use that the IMB does.

I vaguely seem to recall a topic that has since been wisely locked, that went over this.
Ruben

The IMB tecnology is a direct copy of the Buma, but as I don't use toys like that in my work, I have neither intension nor interest in continuing the discussinon.

My only message here was that I don't appreciate rip offs, and IBM is one.

Sven
[quote]
On 2009-06-26 11:32, Sven Rygh wrote:
...but as I don't use toys like that...
[/quote]

TOYS??? :heckno:
Derek,

The IMB is actually a children's toy. James didn't "design" this. The board, as you get it from James is exactly what it is if you bought it in the store. The "Notes" on the opposite side is there and the holes that are drilled at the top is where a plastic yellow spiral used to be. That held the writing implement. Sells for about $10.
[quote]
On 2009-06-26 14:18, Domino Magic wrote:
Derek,

The IMB is actually a children's toy. James didn't "design" this. The board, as you get it from James is exactly what it is if you bought it in the store. The "Notes" on the opposite side is there and the holes that are drilled at the top is where a plastic yellow spiral used to be. That held the writing implement. Sells for about $10.
[/quote]

To be fair, James doesn't hide this. In fact during a lecture, he told everyone how to make one for themselves.

What are you hoping to accomplish?

John
If you read the post above my last post, Derek questioned the use of the word toy. I was verifying the fact that the IMB really is a $10 toy. Seeing as I've never been to a Biss lecture, I wouldn't know that he told everyone how to make one.

What are you accusing me of?
[quote]
On 2009-06-26 10:16, Reuben Dunn wrote:

IMB is not a rip off, the Buma board, while an excellent tool, does not have the same flexability of use that the IMB does.

[/quote]
The word is by the way, flexibility.
[quote]
On 2009-06-26 15:48, Sven Rygh wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-26 10:16, Reuben Dunn wrote:

[/quote]
The word is by the way, flexibility.
[/quote]

Please use commas properly. This would be called an interjection and would look like this:

The word is, by the way, "flexibility."

Quotes should also be used around the word "flexibility" to indicate that you are speaking about the word itself and also quoting someone from above.

Do you see how ridiculous that post makes me look? OK, good. Please act like a grown man.
Thanks all for the info. Trust me I am well aware of the origin of the Buma / IMB boards, I had one of the first ever versions of these (as Mr Biss calls them, Noodle) toys and have since bought them for my kids.

My reference to "TOYS" was one of astonishment that Sven should refer to a Buma Board or IMB as a toy. The 'toy' I use in my avatar has helped me feed and clothe my family and pay the bills. Not bad for a 'toy' :)
[quote]
Derek,

[/quote]

I feel ripped off then that I didn't get the yellow pen holder!@ (heh, heh)

J
Tee Hee!

The Magic Café can be full of such foolishness and repetition can't it? Some of the debate above has been explored exhaustively elsewhere. Surely we're not going to repeat all of the debate all over again. I think it was settled and many hundreds of mentalists and professionals around the world have voted with their wallets. But some people seem to have nothing better to do...

For the record, in 1974, four engineers from Pilot Pen Corporation invented a "dustless chalkboar­d." Their invention has become one of the most popular drawing toys, with more than 40 million sold since its introduction. It's called a "magnetophoretic display" and obviously none of US invented it. Countless children have enjoyed playing and learning with it, usually under the Magna Doodle brand name. I trace the origins of its application in mentalism with the instructions to the Impressionable Mind Board, including the Buma's serendiptious efforts in a different and very limited direction than mine, and again I explore this in Mind Blowing. And yes, in my lectures in various corners of the globe, I've gone into detail about this too.

I've no doubt that many other creative minds will evolve the technology that Pilot originated back in '74 and it's intriguing application to our beloved art. I certainly hope so! That evolution started with El Duco, not with Buma, and countless others that were less commercial. I hope this will continue.

Anyone that suggests that the IMB, the world's most popular design duplication prop for stage, is just a $10 dollar "toy" or a "rip-off" of something else is sadly misinformed. But then the legions of us that actually use the Impressionable Mind Board in our shows already know this and are well aware of its unique value of the prop and the routines that come with it.

For the rest, as always, my products are unconditionally guaranteed to delight you and your audiences. If there are actually any mentalists that aren't thrilled with their IMB I would be happy to reimburse them. Frankly, I have difficultly keeping up with demand and would be happy to find a new home for any unloved prop. No one has ever asked. On the contrary I get e-mails every week raving about IMBs. I think that says a great deal.

Enjoy yours and let's move on to more meaningful discussions and creative thoughts,

James
Just tonight I was putting a secret something together for an agent. Here's a quick piece using IMB. (This is not the finished product, just a test run routine and vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFsV_RZHNY

J
Great job John. Looks like everyone was not only fooled, but entertained as well.

Bill
Johncesta just watched all your videos, love them. Really great performances and I was laughing along with the audience. Keep up the great work :)

Glenn
Hi John,

great job. I like very much the video.

Franky
[quote]
On 2009-06-27 23:56, johncesta wrote:
Just tonight I was putting a secret something together for an agent. Here's a quick piece using IMB. (This is not the finished product, just a test run routine and vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgFsV_RZHNY

J
[/quote]

Nice stuff, well done !!

:)
[quote]
Ruben

The IMB tecnology is a direct copy of the Buma, but as I don't use toys like that in my work, I have neither intension nor interest in continuing the discussinon.

My only message here was that I don't appreciate rip offs, and IBM is one.

Sven
[/quote]

Sven my friend (And I DO mean that.)

IMB is NOT a direct copy of buma.

Buma has some rather severe short comings, one has only to look at the sales video to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Both use the same "technology" but so what? Neither of the two men who promote either the board or the IMB have laid claim to being the inventor/creator of the gimmick.

As you have no intention or interest of continuing this discussion, one of which you started, I wonder why you decided to begin it it in the first place?

Hit and run has never been your style.

[quote]
Derek,

The IMB is actually a children's toy. James didn't "design" this. The board, as you get it from James is exactly what it is if you bought it in the store. The "Notes" on the opposite side is there and the holes that are drilled at the top is where a plastic yellow spiral used to be. That held the writing implement. Sells for about $10.[/quote]

Actually that's not 100% true.

While in Provo Utah in March, taking my son to the Mission Training Centre, I went to a Deseret Industries thrift store (An LDS equivilent of the Goodwill.)and did a bit of hunting around in the book section. On my way out I came accross a toy that had a large 8X11 screen.

I took it home, then seperated the screen from the toy. The intention was/is, to use it with a vinyl folder that I have, I currently use said folder as a carbon impression pad, and I wanted to up grade. The problem is two-fold. 1. The board is too large for the vinyl pad, even after triming as much of the edging as I dare; 2. I need to use a device to erase the writing as opposed to the method that is used with the IMB.

James, if you ever get the yen to do an IMB 2.0, I do have two suggestions:

1. incorporate it into an existing folio, something that is A4 in size. I could easily see this pad being used for Q&A type effects.

2. How about a smaller sized, A5, or smaller for 1-1 effects? This being used in connection with some center tear effects would be a worthy option to consider.

Domino;

The "doodle" pad guts in my toy, and those of the IMB are NOT the same, neither, for that matter, are any of the others on the market, due to the honeycombed design that keeps the magnetic bits in place.

I need a magnet to wipe away the impressions with the toy.

With the IMB you don't.

Domino; perhaps you'd care to either PM me or tell us here which toy you're referring to as this honeycomb design seems to be in all of what is commercially available.

$10.00?

I'd be interested in hearing where you've bought one.
Admittedly, I have seen the required material in a number of toy shops while in the uk. Spent around $50 and got tons of the stuff. Use it for a million different things.

I have never seen it in the 'notes' frame, but I've seen it in other forms very cheap. Easy to cut out and adapt.
If you are looking for a gimmick without the honeycomb desing you should look at the Universal Impression it uses the same technology as IMB but fits in a deck of cards, wallet, or small note pad. You can find it at http://www.papercranemagic.com it comes with a DVD 1 gimmick that lasts forever and a marker for only 49.95 if you know how the technology works then you can buy the gimmick for 24.95 and the marker for only 9.95
The honeycomb design will not work especially if you use it to reveal thought of words.
Ted, how about peddling your wares in your own threads.
Yes it's getting old, papercrane.
Someone mentioned they idea of having a smaller version of IMB and I provided info on our AWESOME version of the close up Impression Device that you will use on a daily basis. We advertise with a banner here every month for ourwebsite http://www.papercranemagic.com and one of the ways we pay for our ad on the Café is to talk about our products here and maybe get sales from Café users. Even though we just finished making our second thousand batch of UI gimmicks many people in the age range of many mentalists do not know of our clever little impression device.I recommend james's product for stage and I recommend ours for close up everyday use.
[quote]
On 2009-06-28 08:43, Reuben Dunn wrote:
[quote]
Derek,

The IMB is actually a children's toy. James didn't "design" this. The board, as you get it from James is exactly what it is if you bought it in the store. The "Notes" on the opposite side is there and the holes that are drilled at the top is where a plastic yellow spiral used to be. That held the writing implement. Sells for about $10.[/quote]

[/quote]

Reuben,

Actually IT IS 100% true. I have seen the IMB and the boards that I have ARE the EXACT same thing. I've compared them side-by-side.

[quote]
Domino;

The "doodle" pad guts in my toy, and those of the IMB are NOT the same, neither, for that matter, are any of the others on the market, due to the honeycombed design that keeps the magnetic bits in place.

With the IMB you don't.

Domino; perhaps you'd care to either PM me or tell us here which toy you're referring to as this honeycomb design seems to be in all of what is commercially available.

$10.00?

[/quote]

I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Again, what I have IS EXACTLY what the IMB is. It's not a magna doodle board and does not need a magnet to erase. Didn't you read my description in my previous post? It's the same thing.

James seems to be a generous guy, I'm sure he'll let you know where you can pick these up.

[quote]
On 2009-06-27 22:06, JamesBiss wrote:
Tee Hee!....

Anyone that suggests that the IMB, the world's most popular design duplication prop for stage, is just a $10 dollar "toy" or a "rip-off" of something else is sadly misinformed.
[/quote]

Well James, you're lying if you say you designed this board, because the product you sell exists in the same exact form as a $10 children's toy. I have two of them and again, I've seen the IMB and there is no difference.
(Tee Hee)

Same size
Holes drilled in one side
The word "Notes" on the opposite side
extremely thin
No need for a magnet to erase the writing/drawing

I understand the whole Buma/IMB debate and that's not what I'm trying to argue here. In fact I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm just stating that what he's selling isn't a prop designed from the bottom up to do what it does. James found a toy, put a routine with it and that's what you have. I never said you shouldn't use it. I was just backing up Sven's comment that this is indeed a toy. How you choose to use it is a different matter.
Edited
[quote]
On 2009-06-28 12:00, Domino Magic wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
Derek,

[/quote]

Reuben,

Actually IT IS 100% true. I have seen the IMB and the boards that I have ARE the EXACT same thing. I've compared them side-by-side.

[/quote]

Nope, not exactly the same thing.

Both use the so-called technology, but, unlike the Buma board,

One doesn't have to worry about reading the impression in reverse, hiding the so called "hot" area. Having compaired them "side-by-side" you of course knew that.

The IMB is not transparent, and has a much larger surface than that of the buma.

"exactly the same thing"?

Nope.

They both use the same "Technology" but in a different way.

I know of at least two others here in this fourm who currently market the same "technology" actively. I bought one a few years ago, it's small enough to fit in an envelope, a greeting card size one at that, however it does require that special something to remove the writing on it, but it's a good utility device.

Another is playing card size, I don't know much more about it, other than I just got a PM from the seller of it.

Domino, I don't see your hackles being raised at these two individuals who are using the same material as either the IMB or the hallowed Buma board.

I don't see the posts crying foul, rip off,etc.

(For that matter, I've not heard from Sven about these two products either.)

Why is that?

Where is the ire concerning wallets? Many have the same "technology" and do the same thing, some are cheaply made (Mind is home made.) others are sold for more than they're worth. Where are the threads on these copies of each other?

[quote]

Domino;

With the IMB you don't.

$10.00?

[/quote]

[quote]
I don't know how much clearer I can make it. Again, what I have IS EXACTLY what the IMB is. It's not a magna doodle board and does not need a magnet to erase. Didn't you read my description in my previous post? It's the same thing.

James seems to be a generous guy, I'm sure he'll let you know where you can pick these up.

[/quote]

But Domino, you made the statement that for $10.00 one could pick up a board from a toy store and have your own version of a buma/Imb.

How about telling us/me which brand you're talking about?

[quote]
On 2009-06-27 22:06, JamesBiss wrote:
Tee Hee!....

Anyone that suggests that the IMB, the world's most popular design duplication prop for stage, is just a $10 dollar "toy" or a "rip-off" of something else is sadly misinformed.

Well James, you're lying if you say you designed this board, because the product you sell exists in the same exact form as a $10 children's toy. I have two of them and again, I've seen the IMB and there is no difference.
(Tee Hee)

Same size
Holes drilled in one side
The word "Notes" on the opposite side
extremely thin
No need for a magnet to erase the writing/drawing

I understand the whole Buma/IMB debate and that's not what I'm trying to argue here. In fact I'm not trying to argue anything. I'm just stating that what he's selling isn't a prop designed from the bottom up to do what it does. James found a toy, put a routine with it and that's what you have. I never said you shouldn't use it. I was just backing up Sven's comment that this is indeed a toy. How you choose to use it is a different matter.
[/quote]

Come on Domino; give with the details.

What store is this prop being sold at?

What is the name of the toy?

Who manufactured/manufactures it?

I am, for some odd reason, reminded of what former Senator Joseph McCarthy was once quoted as saying that he had a list of 1000 card-carrying communists who were in government service. He claimed at one point to have had that list in his brief case. President Truman was of the opinion that the only thing that was in the briefcase was a bottle of booze; the Senator was a well known lover of the strong drink.

You know where, for $10.00 we can get the exact same board as the IMB. You now claim to own two of them.

You have, however not told us where said board can be obtained.

Simply put, put your claims to the test, and tell us where we can obtain these boards.

Can you?

Will you?
Reuben,

Here's the deal. The boards that I have - the $10 toys - and yes, they are marketed as toys ARE the exact same thing as the IMB. EXACT. I don't know why you don't get it. Didn't you read the description I gave? They are white boards, one side is hot and the hot side has a frame around the imp material. The opposite side, which looks like a white board has the NOTES printed on it. I have compared the IMB and the toy side-by-side and they are the same EXACT thing!!! I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

No, I am not going to tell you where to obtain these boards. If this routine is putting food on the table for some of you and you support James Biss, then WHY would you NOT buy a back up from him? I can tell you that they are (or were) imported from China through a toy company in Toronto. Even though I am not a fan of Biss, I'm an ethical guy and I'm not going to reveal the source of these. You're asking me to expose this to prove that I'm right. I know that I'm right because I've held the boards next to each other. We're not just talking about the material - we're talking about the exact prop as it is from Biss.

Reuben, what is your problem? Are you upset that you paid $60 for a $10 toy? Or do you feel like you've been taken, thinking this was engineered to be an IMP board when he just found a toy and put together a routine? Well don't be. If it's working for you - great! Not only did you get the board, you got the special marker, the clips and the routine.

[quote]
On 2009-06-29 07:22, Reuben Dunn wrote:

I am, for some odd reason, reminded of what former Senator Joseph McCarthy was once quoted as saying that he had a list of 1000 card-carrying communists who were in government service. He claimed at one point to have had that list in his brief case. President Truman was of the opinion that the only thing that was in the briefcase was a bottle of booze; the Senator was a well known lover of the strong drink.
[/quote]

Reuben - are you accusing me of drinking? Are you calling me a liar? You've really shown your true colors with that comment - no class.
Biss also did the same with a sex toy. Made no modification just sold the toy as a thumper.
Also The White Tagger is a common $20 office supply item that sells with routines for $145.
Interesting.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 2:35pm
So the conclusion is,

I f the time not is quite right at the moment to investing in overprized magic tricks , but you still want the wonderful creations of mr Biss;

-just visit your favorite Toys R Us!

..ahm..or the other toy shop.

Sven
You cant get the stuff James is using at a toy store. You can get the junk honeycomb stuff but that stuff will not work. If you could get it at a toy store everybody would.
I don't get it. I don't know how many times I have to say it. What I bought from an online toy retailer IS the exact thing Biss is selling. Why is that such a hard concept to grasp? There are several of them. One is all white, just like IMB. Another had letters around the frame of the hot side - letter diagrams like you would see in school teaching you how to write. It's NOT THE FREAKIN' HONEYCOMB that every insists it is. Jeez!
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 14:55, Domino Magic wrote:
Also The White Tagger is a common $20 office supply item that sells with routines for $145.
[/quote]

It's the idea to use the props and the creative routines. When you come up with some ideas let us know. We will certainly decide whether they are of value and possibly purchase them from you.

J
Well do what Biss does steal others ideas.
I didn't say if they were good or bad, just following up on a previous member's post about the thumper. Buy them, don't buy them. As I said about the IMB, if it's working for you, great! Although there have been many Biss fans PM'ing me asking for sources. I'll say what I said previously - I'm an ethical guy and I'm not going to. Just because I don't care for his material, doesn't mean I'm going to expose it for everyone else.

And by the way, the gimmicks (not the IMB) are openly discussed in his latest book, so buy it and find out for yourselves.
A few index cards and some coin envelopes costs about 75 cents in a stationery store, and in the right hands a skilled performer can perform an evenings show with these few items.

Now the real question becomes, What's that kind of information worth to you ?

A working Pro will tell you that it's priceless, however others will tell you that it's 75 cents worth of paper.

Which are you ?

SB
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 18:58, Domino Magic wrote:
I didn't say if they were good or bad, just following up on a previous member's post about the thumper. Buy them, don't buy them. As I said about the IMB, if it's working for you, great! Although there have been many Biss fans PM'ing me asking for sources. I'll say what I said previously - I'm an ethical guy and I'm not going to. Just because I don't care for his material, doesn't mean I'm going to expose it for everyone else.

And by the way, the gimmicks (not the IMB) are openly discussed in his latest book, so buy it and find out for yourselves.
[/quote]

But its not his material they are commercially available in the shops. So why not share? Its just as ethical to share a source as it is to find one and sell it at inflated prices to another market. Afterall if the value is in the routines and not the commercially available product where is the problem?

Its akin to sharing where you buy good C****n P***r.
Yes you can buy james's stuff online. I have before when we were testing out material to compare with universal impression. Buying online is not the same as going to a local toy store and taking it out if the toy to use.
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 10:01, Domino Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 07:22, Reuben Dunn wrote:

[/quote]

Reuben - are you accusing me of drinking? Are you calling me a liar? You've really shown your true colors with that comment - no class.
[/quote]

Frankly Domino;

I'm accusing you of using the same tactics as that late senator, that of making specific accusations, yet when asked to provide proof, you suddenly take a higher moral ground. When pressed to show what it was he had in his brief case McCarthy took a similar high ground and promised to reveal the documentation in due course. He never did, and ended up looking extremely foolish on National Televsion. He received the most severe form of disicipline in the Senate.

You make accusations, e.g., "I have an identical board I bought for $10.00 at a toy store.." yet when pressed to be specfic, e.g., what manufacturer, what store., etc, you switch to a moral ground and write:

I'm sure he, like you, meant well, but in the end, he made statements that he could not/would not back up with proof, and the public saw him for what he was.

Here endith the U.S. History Lesson.

[quote]
No, I am not going to tell you where to obtain these boards. If this routine is putting food on the table for some of you and you support James Biss, then WHY would you NOT buy a back up from him? I can tell you that they are (or were) imported from China through a toy company in Toronto. Even though I am not a fan of Biss, I'm an ethical guy and I'm not going to reveal the source of these. You're asking me to expose this to prove that I'm right. I know that I'm right because I've held the boards next to each other. We're not just talking about the material - we're talking about the exact prop as it is from Biss.

[/quote]

Am "ethical guy" would not make accusations then clam up when asked to provide proof. BTY, if you don't want to publically reveal your sources, then PM me. If you're right in this, I'll pubically appoligse here and remain silent on the matter.
>>>Am "ethical guy" would not make accusations then clam up when asked to provide proof. BTY, if you don't want to publically reveal your sources, then PM me. If you're right in this, I'll pubically appoligse here and remain silent on the matter.<<<

Now we see the truth old Ruby wants cheap boards just for himself!
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 09:49, mindpunisher wrote:

[/quote]

It's been interesting to see how many people sent me a pm asking for the resource. Some feel IMB is too expensive, others say they can't afford it, others want a back up prop. I've ignored everyone. And yes, it's apparent that Reuben wants a few cheap ones himself and he thinks he can "dare me" into giving up the goods.

Reuben, for some odd reason I'm reminded of when I was a kid, the school bully calling me chicken in order to get what he wanted.

[quote]
On 2009-06-30 19:13, Sebastian Black wrote:
A few index cards and some coin envelopes costs about 75 cents in a sationery store, and in the right hands a skilled performer can perform an evenings show with these few items.

Now the real question becomes, What's that kind of information worth to you ?

A working Pro will tell you that it's priceless, however others will tell you that it's 75 cents worth of paper.

Which are you ?

SB
[/quote]

It's funny that Sebastian has chimed in on this topic. I guess he hasn't been happy with my comments about Clearly Q&A, which his customers, Café members have been selling here for much less than the retail value. Several have told me once they saw how it worked, they figured they could make it themselves for less than $10 and get their money back on the CQA.

So to answer your question Sebastian, I am working pro.

I took a day to think about what I was going to do about this since several of you just DON'T GET IT! As I previously mentioned, out of the box, the toy is an IMB, so what I'm going to do is show you photos of the toy. I took photos of the toy with the previously mentioned alphabet around the frame of the hot side. I took photos of that board, as opposed to the white frame because I didn't want to be accused of taking a photo of the IMB.

Now I can't be exposing anything here because they are just photos of a $10 toy.

Front of toy:
[url]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/DominoMagic/toy1.jpg[/url]

Close up of toy with impression:
[url]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/DominoMagic/toy2.jpg[/url]

Back of toy: (this should look familiar to some of you)
[url]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/DominoMagic/toy3.jpg[/url]

Mirror photo of toy showing front & back:
[url]http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt67/DominoMagic/toy4.jpg[/url]

[quote]
On 2009-07-01 09:17, Reuben Dunn wrote:

Am "ethical guy" would not make accusations then clam up when asked to provide proof. BTY, if you don't want to publically reveal your sources, then PM me. If you're right in this, I'll pubically appoligse here and remain silent on the matter.
[/quote]

I'm still not giving up the sources for this, so stop asking. If you're an ethical guy, then you will buy these from Biss OR better yet, ASK HIM where he gets them from.

Oh, Reuben - I'll take that apology now.
>>>Anyone that suggests that the IMB, the world's most popular design duplication prop for stage, is just a $10 dollar "toy" or a "rip-off" of something else is sadly misinformed<<<

I'll give Biss 10 out of 10 for consistency for sure!

But would you buy a second hand car from the man?
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 12:03, mindpunisher wrote:
>>>Anyone that suggests that the IMB, the world's most popular design duplication prop for stage, is just a $10 dollar "toy" or a "rip-off" of something else is sadly misinformed<<<

I'll give Biss 10 out of 10 for consistency for sure!

But would you buy a second hand car from the man?
[/quote]

That's just the point. He's not in the car business.

Who here doesn't understand business 101 raise your mouse?

J
John,

It's also good business not to lie. What Biss should have done is to admit it BUT also defended it.

'Yes, it's a $10 toy and I get them for less, but I also include a special marker, all the necessary items & killer routine that transforms this "toy" into one of the most devious drawing duplication devices on the market'

That would be good business. Denying it is, well, as mindpunisher put it - consistent for Biss.
Again who does not understand business 101?

Is that what a product manufacturer does? Do they let everyone know the cost of the item then try and justify it with why it holds value. No, that's not how it works in the business world I understand.

I have a product, it's valuable to some. Do you you want it? No? Then move on and find something you do want. What's the point in harasing a company because you don't like the item they manufacture. What if you later find it for less $$? Has THAT ever happened to you? Now if you buy it then have a problem with it? Yes? Ok, now harass the manufacturer.

Who goes to Walmart and says, "Hey, you made this cheap in China, and you're selling it for a lot more than you paid for it. That's not fair!" Most of us don't do that. We determine if it has value to us and if it does we buy it. If not we go to Target or Sam's Club (which has the same stuff, heh, heh)

I don't GET this negative attitude towards an individual. What's the point? Sure you can say, "I think his product is a piece of ****." That's certainly fair. I've done it.

But just to sit on their chest until their lungs collapse, really what's the point. Some of you all seemed to have come to your own conclusions on whether or not someone lied? Judge, jury, lawyers...where's Pilate?

Enough on that. I have to go and get my Palm read. I hope the person who does it didn't learn from one of those Palmistry Made Easy PDFS!! 'Cause that would be cheating. Unless they are a REAL Psychic ...

J
The first time I used James Biss' IMB I made way more than what I paid for it. $10 or $60, I adapted James' Q & A routine from Mind Blowing and made several times more than $60 with one performance. Value for money - yes!
If $60 it's too much I don't know what to say when you buy a $10,000 prop (that you can make for $3000 or less) and you still can't perform it without spending more money (rehearse time, clothes, etc, etc...)

$60 it's a bargain if you do shows imho

Daghank it seems that James will relaunch it so stay tuned :)
What you ALL are missing is this. The IMP board never made you a penny. You see what made you money was SELLING the show not actually doing it.

If you want to make serious money in any field then come to the conclusion that we are marketers of mentalism first and performers second. What is the difference between those that earn big bucks and those that struggle? Well in many cases its not talent its the ability to sell shows at higher fees.

And a prop will never sell anything. Infact Biss is a great example of fo someone who has marketed a $10 toy for more than five times the price. Of course if you paid that much psychological principles of consistancy dictate that you must find reasons to be happy no matter what.

But be clear it was the selling of A show that made you the money. You could have had any number of effects or props of which wouldn't matter.

Stop deluding yourselves please.
What you're also missing is that Sven made a comment about this being a toy.

Derek disputed that remark.

I backed it up AND proved it.

I never said don't buy it and in fact showed where the value of it may be.
>>>I never said don't buy it and in fact showed where the value of it may be.<<<

Ok now show us where to get one.Or I might come up with some silly story about an old british politician who lied - to bully you! Don't test me !

I had to invest in a show to have something to sell. The IMB plays a pivotal role in the latter part of the show. It was part of an investment which I am now making money from.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 12:52, johncesta wrote:

I don't GET this negative attitude towards an individual. What's the point? Sure you can say, "I think his product is a piece of ****." That's certainly fair. I've done it.

But just to sit on their chest until their lungs collapse, really what's the point. Some of you all seemed to have come to your own conclusions on whether or not someone lied? Judge, jury, lawyers...where's Pilate?

[/quote]

John,

I think that's a fair question. And I guess it comes down to getting back what you put out. It's a two-fold scenario with Biss. The first is his outright theft of other performer's material. It's been gone over in other threads, but it's there.

The other is his negative attitude towards mentalists. He slams them in his recent book. Now I guess you could make the argument "who would blame him" for what is said about him here, but all of that negativity comes back to the fact he took material that wasn't his.

What I don't get is why some of you guys support him when some very well known names have come on here to post and explain what material was taken.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 14:52, Domino Magic wrote:
What you're also missing is that Sven made a comment about this being a toy.

Derek disputed that remark.

I backed it up AND proved it.

I never said don't buy it and in fact showed where the value of it may be.
[/quote]

I think I was commenting on the fact that calling it a toy under-valued it's worth.

Derek
[quote]

What I don't get is why some of you guys support him when some very well known names have come on here to post and explain what material was taken.
[/quote]

What I don't know is why you're supporting him, allowing him to do what he's doing with the imb. he should sell the booklet surely, but as far as the board, you should say where you've seen it.
I have done some searching on the internet myself and did indeed find the board from the above foto's for §8,95 (discounted) Of course these boards are supplied without the routines and they are used as an educative item to teach kids how to read. This info may help you in finding the boards yourself. By the way, you could by the magnetic surface seperatly for £55 for 30 boards.

Thank you Domino for pointing this out. But this doesn't mean that I agree to the argument about the IMB being a rip-off.
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing? So all of you asking where to get one, learn how to search the internet and all the wonders of the world are yours for the asking. It's just like using the search function on The Café, which some never did get the hang of.

And by the way, I never said this was a rip-off. I didn't say it wasn't, but I didn't say it was.
Found them also - 8 bucks.
I must say I wonder why in Mind Blowing James Biss explains the origins of his tesla vision, gives a great resource for a digital device that can be used for preshow work and his commercial White Tagger, but keeps refering to the magnetophoric principle of his IMB. By now we all now that using the search term 'magnetophoric' in google results in almost nothing. Using the right terms, opens a world of possibilities.

For the record, I think Mind Blowing is an excellent book. But the lie about the chinese Umpa Loopa's is a bit disapointing.
Shouldn't the market place decide if a product is worthy of the asking price?

Aren't some people selling other "childs toys" as the main component of their imp. devices?

Aren't some compilations of routines priced for more that $60, and no gimmicks are included? and doesn't mr. biss give such a compilation of routines? We've seen manuscripts for one effect selling for hundreds of dollars...

I'm not sure what the problem is, if you have a grudge against someone for some reason, that's fine. but to say he shouldn't market his ideas (his routines, in this example) for whatever asking price he wants, that's simply absurd.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 5:20pm
Also,

the only way this could be considered a 'rip off' is if he was buying this toy, and then selling it as a toy.

if one were to buy lumber, and try to sell it as lumber for 10 times the price, that might be crazy. but if he were to make a piece of furniture, and sell it for ten times the price, no one would question it. it seems like that's what is being done here.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 17:17, pmc magic wrote:
Shouldn't the market place decide if a product is worthy of the asking price?

Aren't some people selling other "childs toys" as the main component of their imp. devices?

Aren't some compilations of routines priced for more that $60, and no gimmicks are included? and doesn't mr. biss give such a compilation of routines? We've seen manuscripts for one effect selling for hundreds of dollars...

I'm not sure what the problem is, if you have a grudge against someone for some reason, that's fine. but to say he shouldn't market his ideas (his routines, in this example) for whatever asking price he wants, that's simply absurd.
[/quote]

I didn't say it wasn't worth the asking price. All I did was back up a comment someone else made that this was a toy. And yes, there is another toy that is component of another person's device, however the difference is in that device, the prop is custom made. This is exactly as it would be if you purchased the toy. I'm not saying that is good or bad, just stating the fact.

I never said he shouldn't sell or market his ideas. I have said he shouldn't sell or market OTHER magicians ideas. In fact I've stated several times, which obviously didn't sink in with you, that IF you like this routine - GREAT! If you're using it and getting value from it, GREAT!

So I'm not sure what YOUR problem is.
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 17:20, pmc magic wrote:
Also,

the only way this could be considered a 'rip off' is if he was buying this toy, and then selling it as a toy.

[/quote]
For the record, I did say I didn't think the IMB is a rip off. The routine which is supplied with it (and is also described in his last book) is in my opinion indeed worth more then the the price asked for it. And I believe I now know why he doesn't sell the manuscripts seperately. Manuscripts can be easily copied. But the IMB device can't. So not exposing the origins of the board guarantees the selling of the manuscripts to people wanting to use his routine. And I'm a strong believer of the fact that if you want to use other people's ideas, you should pay for the rights of doing so. So if you want to use the routine and ideas mr. Biss sells, buy the IMB. If you want to use the board as a prop in your mentalism show, buy the IMB. Apparently James Biss was the first to think of using this exact board for mentalism. And the way he uses it, is his.
Domino,

no problem here, and my post wasnt targeted at you, but at the overall negative feedback this product is getting.

also, I wasnt aware that biss was marketing other magicians ideas as his own, maybe I missed that in this thread. if that's the case, then obviously there are serious issues with his product.

what you said did sink in about 'if someone likes the routine, that's great.'

however, what YOU are having touble with is that the converse is true: if you don't like a product, that's great. no need to continuously bash someone for something you don't like. to go as far as to post photos of this 'toy' ... that, in my view, is very unethical and unprofessional.
To come to Domino's defence: he was pushed by other posters in this thread to prove his claim about having found the device for $10. He still hasn't exposed the source of the boards and I don't think he will.
Thanks bartelli,

you raise several good points...

again, my original post wasnt targeted at anyone in particular... it just seems as though a few people have something against Biss and are taking it out here.

I don't know Biss, and I don't own an IMB, so I'm not defending him or the product, I'm just criticizing the ideology behind the negative arguments.
Have a great summer guys!

I'm off to Italy and Ireland in July, for a wee tour and then heading to Kenya with some fabulous teenagers to build a school house on the Masai Mara with the FreeTheChildren.org people. (Alas I won't be off spending the $50 profit, per Impressionable Mind Board, that some of you seem to have calculated that I'm pocketing. That TOO would be misinformed.) ;>)

While I'm away, if anyone would like to build their own Impressionable Mind Board, as I describe in Mind Blowing, please go right ahead. The book also contains some routining ideas with it that are quite valuable. You'll need to do some modifications to any of the magnetophoretic "Magna Doodle" type boards you get your hands on, but it can be done. I can assure you that the IMB is not merely a $10 toy, as I've said before. But you could start there. After your modifications with the additional layer of plastic, which I have die-cut in quantity to fit properly, you'll need to do some adhesive work. It's a bit tricky and you'll probably go through several boards to get it right. (I suppose you could make the other component from cardboard or cut plastic yourself. I'm not sure what your time is worth or what having a custom die would cost you.)

You'll also need a few other accessories which obviously come packaged with the IMB. I include these so performers will have everything they need to get started. A trip to an office supply store and a bit of reseach should do the trick however. They retail for about $10 I think.

The very magical markers which come with the IMB are tricky to do it yourself. After much research and trial and error, I figured out how to insert the special something, but it's a bit knacky. With much trial and error and markers I'm sure you could probably get the hang of it too however. The M***** and markers will cost you less than $10 if you know where to look. In the Extremely Mental Edition of Mind Blowing I tipped exactly how we do the actual insertion, but that's now out of print (I'm sure a few copies are still floating around however this summer. The original price of the Extremely Mental Edition was $89.) Those folks that use our markers will agree they're both functional and completely innocent looking compared with earlier attempts.

Thanks for noticing the value of the presentations that also come with the IMB on the 12 page manuscript! I'd like to think they're actually worth hundreds of dollars, and many do. If you're a pro I think you'll see that too. In any case, Mind Blowing, the book - including the new Paperback, comes with these, so if you do decide to do it all yourself it would be a good idea to get your own copy to learn how to use it properly as performers all over the world do. (The new paperback Mind Blowing is selling for under $70 and also functions as an incredible on stage prop!)

Alternatively, if you choose not to make your own IMB, please feel free to support your favourite magic dealer and purchase one complete and ready to go! I know he or she will appreciate their necessary and reasonable margin. Our distributor friends, who get the IMBs to these resellers, will also appreciate their reasonable margin. I know that I appreciate my $10 for my reasonable efforts and I thank you all for your purchases!

I hope this all helps and settles some of you down. Perhaps not. With all due respect, some of you could probably use your time more wisely...like working on making your performances more Mind Blowing or coming up with some new ideas or products. But thanks for the lively discussion and PR.

Hope your summer is a creative one!

Ciao,

James
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 13:42, JamesBiss wrote:
...You'll need to do some modifications to any of the magnetophoretic "Magna Doodle" type boards you get your hands on, but it can be done. I can assure you that the IMB is not merely a $10 toy, as I've said before. But you could start there. After your modifications with the additional layer of plastic, which I have die-cut in quantity to fit properly, you'll need to do some adhesive work. It's a bit tricky and you'll probably go through several boards to get it right. (I suppose you could make the other component from cardboard or cut plastic yourself. I'm not sure what your time is worth or what having a custom die would cost you.)
[/quote]

Interesting response there James. For those looking for these boards, don't search for Magna Doodle boards - he's only trying to throw you off because they are not Magna Doodles and as for any modifications to a board that has printing on the frame, like the photos I showed - it will take you 10 minutes of modification and it will not take you several boards.

If you DO NOT have the prop, then you're better off just buying one from a dealer, however if you're looking for a back-up prop, you're better off spending a few minutes tracking one down online.

By the way - Reuben - I'm waiting for your apology.
Yep Biss really respects the intellegence of his customers. I can't believe they still support him when he treats them like idiots.
[quote]
>>>Am "ethical guy" would not make accusations then clam up when asked to provide proof. BTY, if you don't want to publically reveal your sources, then PM me. If you're right in this, I'll pubically appoligse here and remain silent on the matter.<<<

[/quote]

Nope...

I will state again my objectctions to the path that this thread has taken.

"I have an identical board that I got for $10.00." "However because I'm ethical I won't support this statement with proof. I will however give you the impression that you've been ripped off because James uses a "toy" and charges a sizable markoff.

When pressed as to providing proof that this identical board is available on the market, the statement is now, I got this on an online toy store; again no URL.

Cheap?

Nah. I've had one for the past two years.

I will publically state that I have no interest at all in purchasing a cheaper knock off board. I have no use for it as doing such effects as are used with the board are limited in my performances.

As to an apology to Dominc... I do apologise to him.

He sent me a link that goes to a site that sells boards that appear to use similar technology. While this isn't the acutual site he referenced, and while the boards are not being sold for $10.00 as claimed, the URL does fit both the spirit and, to an extent, the letter of my repeated requests for Dominc to prove his accusations.

At the end of the day does it REALLY matter where Mr Biss gets the boards from?

Several years ago Larry Becker, using a toy violin marketed it with a fairly good routine at what some would consider a rather high price; the toy itself, at one supplier that I use, is sold wholesale for about $15.00 each.

However having the toy is one thing. Having the routine and staging advice that Becker gives is entirely another, and many would say that the price that the Becker "toy" sold for was worth the additional price mark-up.

A pity some here either will not, or cannot make the same statement about Biss' IMB.

I am fortunate enough to have his published writings on the use of the board, as well as a DVD of the use of the board, I know several here who use the board to their great advantage.

I've seen this derailment of the tread, the attempt to down play it value with "It's just a cheap toy" as ***ing with very, very faint praise.

The inference has been, well, if you've had success with this $10.00 toy then you have had your monies worth. However, if you want to save some money, just do a search and you'll find an identical board for $10.00.

My neck hairs rise at this attitude, just as it did when I was a very small boy and was told by an older boy, "Santa's all right, if you actually believe in that sort of thing."

That kind of superior attiude was Juvinille then, when I was eight. It's even more so when I'm forty years older.
So the fact he lies to his customers treats them like idiots and regularly steals from other creators doesn't really matter?
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 11:38, Domino Magic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

It's been interesting to see how many people sent me a pm asking for the resource. Some feel IMB is too expensive, others say they can't afford it, others want a back up prop. I've ignored everyone. And yes, it's apparent that Reuben wants a few cheap ones himself and he thinks he can "dare me" into giving up the goods.
[/quote]

You had better not lay claims in your show to actually read minds Domino; or at least that you are 100% right. {;-)
I don’t own any impression devices and am unfamiliar with the methodology used for such gimmicks, as well as the specifics of the controversy surrounding Mr. Biss’s products. That said, I couldn’t risk a quick scan of this thread. My impression (pun intended) is that some of the recent posts seem utterly ridiculous and even self-contradictory. It seems unfair to me that, on some boards, people can hide behind a fake name, as they tarnish another fellow’s reputation with clearly malicious and libelous accusations. These pseudonyms allow people with an evident agenda to say whatever they wish about another fellow, maligning the other fellow in searchable print for all time, without fear of having to stand behind their words, either in court or in the face of their peers. It just doesn’t seem right.
Well Elliot, since you're unfamiliar with the controversies surrounding Biss, I would recommend that you do a search on The Café and read about them. What you will find are some very well respected names have spoken out against him because of his willingness to take other magician's material and publish them as his own. Maybe one day Biss will takes something of yours, call it his own and you may form another opinion.
Sorry, I find the hypocrisy in this thread too much. One person claiming that the IMB is a commercially available product, which it is not. Then putting up pictures of products that can be used to “construct” an IMB. You can reverse engineer most any product, why pick this one? I also find it interesting that it seems OK to publish on an open forum (or any forum for that matter) how to mimic and build your own version of a commercial item. In my opinion, bad form and the actions of an expositor!

And the continued posts where people claim it is the same as the Buma Board, something that is not true. I own both, and they use the same technology, but are different in usage and construction. There is, however another product mentioned in this thread that is a direct copy of the Buma products, in construction, methodology, materials, and usage, but nothing has been said about that. Interesting.

Tony Iacoviello
[quote]
On 2009-07-03 12:07, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Sorry, I find the hypocrisy in this thread too much.
[/quote]

You really crack me up with that comment. You know very well the Biss has been stealing from others for a long time now, yet you want to support his behavior.

So since unethical behavior is to be defended and praised, then let me help some of you search. Biss is throwing you off with the magna doodle board. Search for "magnetic gel board" and that should help you out a bit more. Maybe you can find some use for it in your act, or if you have a kid, they would appreciate playing with it.
As I said before, bad form and the actions of an expositor.

For your other comments, I suggest you actually read what I wrote.

If your problem with James Biss is that he has published the ideas of others, congratulations. You have done the same thing here and are just as guilty!

The brush paints both ways.
[quote]
You really crack me up with that comment. You know very well the Biss has been stealing from others for a long time now, yet you want to support his behavior.

So since unethical behavior is to be defended and praised, then let me help some of you search. Biss is throwing you off with the magna doodle board. Search for "magnetic gel board" and that should help you out a bit more. Maybe you can find some use for it in your act, or if you have a kid, they would appreciate playing with it.
[/quote]

Tony Iacoviello
I'm now wondering if "Dominio" will now open a BUMA thread and state that it too is a $4.00 toy found on the internet.

He/she's remained silent on this, as well as similar impression boards that are making the rounds at the moment, as evidenced by the PM I've recently received concerning a smaller sized board.

Biss seems to be fair game from some who have not actually read his books, or who take apparent pride in proclaiming that he is using an educational toy.

Tony Wrote:
[quote]

And the continued posts where people claim it is the same as the Buma Board, something that is not true. I own both, and they use the same technology, but are different in usage and construction. There is, however another product mentioned in this thread that is a direct copy of the Buma products, in construction, methodology, materials, and usage, but nothing has been said about that. Interesting.
[/quote]

Don't worry Tony, Domino stated that he's an ethicial guy; I'm sure that he'll open up a thread in a day or so to raise similar concerns about this copy cat product, as well as one on the Buma board, after all, it's JUST a $4.95 toy after all....
I have been using the IMB for almost 3 years. I love it. The instructions also shows 3 different phases you can do with it in one routine. Some members were trying to steer me away from it when I first purchased it. I bet it is because they do not have one, or because it is NOT a toy like the little babies expected: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=190664&forum=15
Once again, for those of you who cannot read. Sven called it a toy. I backed him up. I showed you that the IMB is the same thing as a $10.00 toy. This wasn't something he created. Buy the toy for $10 (or less if you bother to do a search) or buy it for $69 from Biss. Either way, you get the same thing. Learn to make the markers yourself for about $3.00 or buy X Board refills:

[url]http://www.thecentertear.com/full/Magic-Tricks-Magic-Books-Magic-DVDs-32988-X-Board-Refill-Markers-Menny-Lindenfeld__5437.htm[/url]

Reuben never did apologize, even though he said he would after I proved him wrong. So now that he found his sources for a less expensive board, he can go away happy.

That's it for me on this thread, so carry on.
Quit acting like a baby and thinking about toys. When you grow up, you will get a job working with the IMB.
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 09:17, Domino Magic wrote:
Once again, for those of you who cannot read...

Reuben never did apologize, even though he said he would after I proved him wrong. So now that he found his sources for a less expensive board, he can go away happy.

[/quote]

Do you mean this?

[quote]
On 2009-07-03 10:22, Reuben Dunn wrote:

He sent me a link that goes to a site that sells boards that appear to use similar technology. While this isn't the acutual site he referenced, and while the boards are not being sold for $10.00 as claimed, the URL does fit both the spirit and, to an extent, the letter of my repeated requests for Dominc to prove his accusations.

[/quote]

Perhaps it isn't others you should be concerned about as having reading problems. ;)

Tony Iacoviello
That shows babies can't read. :baby2:
Why is there little outrage about exposing methods in this thread, but jim callahan was in an uproar because someone learned his trick?

this seems unacceptable...
I did my part on this thread, and replied to the insulting PM that was sent to me (although it has gone unread, further evidence of a reading disability I guess).

Tony
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 09:17, Domino Magic wrote:

[/quote]

Well Domino, I don't know how much clearer I can make it:

[quote] Posted: Jul 3, 2009 10:22am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards

Reuben Dunn
[/quote]

Other than getting the sack cloth and ashes what else is needed?
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 12:22, pmc magic wrote:
Why is there little outrage about exposing methods in this thread, but jim callahan was in an uproar because someone learned his trick?

this seems unacceptable...
[/quote]

I would guess because the thread is not about exposing methods or Jim Callahan or being in an uproar.

It's about the IMB.

It's not about ripoffs or cheap imitations or lying, lies or the people that do both or toys or business 101 or any more etc etc stuff.

But that's only my guess as to why there's no uproar and maybe that's why I may not be a very good psychic ... 'cause I only guess. ;)

J
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 12:28, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I did my part on this thread, and replied to the insulting PM that was sent to me (although it has gone unread, further evidence of a reading disability I guess).

Tony
[/quote]

You got one TOO?

Great!

If I'm sent an extremely poor attempt at an insult via PM, and you got one too Tony, then I MUST be doing something right.

If someone is going to put fourth an insult, especially if it is done in writing, then I would expect at the very least some effort to be put in it.

The English language provides so many opportunities for one to use when attempting an insult, the majority of which do not involve profanity, but when one is limited at creativity the result is a rather weak, even laughable attempt at an insult.

Well...I may be able to get a gel board for a few bucks, in which case I have a BUMA/IMB copy, well, at least the core elements.

But for the addtional cost I am also getting a well written, well presented series of routines and effects that one can do with the board.

Again, Mr Becker sold a toy violin, that wholesales for about $15.00, but added his routine, handling, and experience to the mix. I don't seem to recall anyone saying: But it's a toy!"

The stentch of hypocrisy that can come from threads that are clearly designed to tear down rather than build up gets kind of strong here.

In my opinion more harm has been done for exposure re: The Buma Board than the IMB given the differneces in which both boards are used.

All we need now is for someone to buy a gross of gel boards and start flogging them as a cheaper alternative to the Buma.....

Nice..

I asked for proof privately, which I did get.

I promised to apologise publically if my concerns were addressed. And, in a fashion, they were.

I did, on July 3rd.

For some reason this appology was not acknowledged, either here, or via PM.

Instead I got a rather week p*** poor attempt at an insult...

Hardly surprising considering the source I suppose; but I did have hopes.
Don't you guys have a life???
Sven:

My friend, you have posted on this thread more than I have...

Tony
Tony

I did not have you in mind :)

I guess you also must have seen that I pulled out of this thread about a week ago.
I said what I wanted to, and left the "discussion"

Regards
Sven
[quote]
I don't use toys like that in my work
[/quote]
Sven, I hope you do not mind me asking, but what kind of toys do you use in your work?
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 17:24, Sven Rygh wrote:
Tony

I did not have you in mind :)

I guess you also must have seen that I pulled out of this thread about a week ago.
I said what I wanted to, and left the "discussion"

Regards
Sven
[/quote]

"Just when you thought you were out; they pull you back in..."
[quote]
[/quote]
Domino, you are thinking like a kid, not a mentalist. A kid's toy is a kid's toy, but the IMB is a tool designed for mentalism. I can picture you watching Banachek bend a fork on stage while he is performing mentalism, and you jump up and shout out, "Everybody, that's an eating utensil!"
The IMB is a child's toy repackaged at a healthy profit for the mentalism market. The creator is a liar and also takes other creators ideas and claims them as his own. There is absolutely no doubt about that. Plus he treats his customers like idiots to cover his tracks. There is absolutely no doubt about that either.

I guess there are many on here that need to be lead into routines and can't think them up for themselves.

If Domino is thinking like a kid the majority are thinking like sheep. Thank god we have a few people around like domino or this forum wouldn't be worth visiting.

[quote]
On 2009-07-04 09:23, Dynamike wrote:
Quit acting like a baby and thinking about toys. When you grow up, you will get a job working with the IMB.
[/quote]

$10 for a gelboard or $69 for IMB? When they are both the same thing?

Stop thinking like a complete idiot!!!!

I can picture you buying the statue of liberty. (by the way I could give you a good deal)
Mindpunisher, are you trying to tell us you want your diapers changed? :)

[quote]
On 2009-07-01 14:03, mindpunisher wrote:
The IMP board never made you a penny.
[/quote]
Tony, some can not only read, but they can't spell either. We are talking about the IMB, not the IMP board.
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 19:44, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
I don't use toys like that in my work
[/quote]
Sven, I hope you do not mind me asking, but what kind of toys do you use in your work?
[/quote]

Mike

Sven is a true pro and his act is top notch. And although I may disagree with him on some things, there is no denying that what he utilizes works for him and fits his image as well as attracts corporate clients. He has my respect and admiration.

Tony
Sven, I believe how Tony describes your performance. Do you have any video clippings you would like to share with us?
Tony

Thanks a lot for the kind words, I am flattered!

Mike

The clips from one of the TV shows I have appared in and a banquet show are attached to my profile here.

The TV clip is one from Norway's #1 talk show , where also Iceland's former president Vigdis Finbogadottir, Mark Knoppfler and Emmylou Harris appared in the same show at that time.

The banquet show is somewhat shorter than, and a bit different from my regular show , and with about 350 in the audience.

Here they are, for your convenience.
http://www.svenrygh.no/video3.html
http://www.svenrygh.no/sven-rygh/presse/nrk-forst-og-sist/

http://www.svenrygh.no/dokumenter/hjemmet-nr27-2006-07-03.pdf

Enjoy

Sven
I see you are pro with psychokinetic. Thank you for sharing. :thanx:
Very well done Sven. I really like the routine with the spoons.
Again well done. :applause:

Daren
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 21:32, mindpunisher wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 09:23, Dynamike wrote:
[/quote]

$10 for a gelboard or $69 for IMB? When they are both the same thing?

Stop thinking like a complete idiot!!!!

I can picture you buying the statue of liberty. (by the way I could give you a good deal)
[/quote]

Just wondering.....how much would you pay for a BUMA board?

Or is your scorn selective too?
Why would I need a Buma board? A Gelboard does the same thing. I paid £150 for that wreck of a product Kopy Kat. Which fell apart within weeks. I now can source the magnetic film for about £4 a sheet and make something more natural with ease.

that's a difference of £146. To be honest the routines that came with it weren't that great. Worth about £8 maybe.

You also seem to be overlooking a few things. Why would you buy from or support someone who tells you blatant lies? Andtreats you like an idiot? If the routines are worth the price of the package then the knowledge of the GELBOARD shouldn't affect sales right?
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 05:40, mindpunisher wrote:
Why would you buy from or support someone who tells you blatant lies? And treats you like an idiot?
[/quote]
Oh, now I see, this was all about a misunderstanding. We never brought anything from you before, dude.
Interesting topic!

I can see both sides of this, however aside from the Impressionable Mind Board, I am not familiar with James Biss' material. I've been doing mentalism for a long time and very rarely buy anything new.

I was familiar with the toy in question before James released the mind board. More than familiar, I own several of them. I was interested in the magnetic gel material for a drawing duplication routine. I purchased several commercially available routines to see what was available. Ultimately I did by the Impressionable Mind Board a couple of years after I had purchased the toy. Honestly I laughed when I saw what it was, considering I had several of them. I've since sold it and it's been a while since I looked at the routine, but for me the routine wasn't worth the price. (Notice that I said for me).

What I remember about it is that it was a 3 phase routine - the first part being psychological forces, the second part being a real-time drawing duplication with a spectator and the third revelation being the result of pre-show work.

This didn't work for me because I already have an extensive psychological forces presentation at the beginning of my show that has been a solid part of my opening for years now. The second phase was fine, but the third phase with pre-show was out.

I don't do anything with pre-show. It's just the way I prefer to work. I have a consistent show, meaning that no matter what the circumstances I can always do the exact show I want to - surrounded, up close, stage, no stage or walking in at the last moment.

However from another perspective I can see why some of you would be excited about this. Had you never seen the board before or were familiar with the principles involved with this routine, it would be powerful for you.

[quote]
...but as I don't use toys like that in my work...
[/quote]

And that's ultimately the direction I took for the current drawing duplication routine that I use. While there are some very clever props out there, I tend to stick with the classics and work with materials that can be purchased at any office supply store.

Obviously what works for me isn't going to work for everyone. I'm a professional mentalist and I'm not opposed to using playing cards or presenting a magic trick in my act. That may be a big faux pas for many of you.
I have no idea what you're saying Sven (I even asked our houskeeper Inge if she knew, Inge's from Holland, but she didn't know either!) but you look darn good saying it all!!

J
[quote]
I paid £150 for that wreck of a product Kopy Kat. Which fell apart within weeks.
[/quote]
I understand you punishing your own mind about what props not to buy, but you mistreat your props too? To be honest I believe it is wrong. But no problem, it is your choice, just like it is our choice to purchase what we want to.
Of course purchase what you want to. From who you want to no matter what their ethics are.

I love people like you Dynamo...

You make me smile for all the wrong reasons. But that's what keeps me on here.
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 09:50, mindpunisher wrote:
Of course purchase what you want to. From who you want to no matter what their ethics are.
[/quote]
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty we are free at last!
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 09:02, johncesta wrote:
I have no idea what you're saying Sven [/quote]
Shhh...it's a secret! :)

Give my regards to Inge, and tell her that it is even more difficult for Norwegians to understand the Dutch than for the Dutch to understand Norwegians!

Sven

PS Thanks a lot, BTW!
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 10:07, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-07-06 09:50, mindpunisher wrote:
[/quote]
Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty we are free at last!
[/quote]

Nothings free in this world! Especially a free lunch.
Well I'm moving to a different world.
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 17:16, mindpunisher wrote:
Yep Biss really respects the intellegence of his customers. I can't believe they still support him when he treats them like idiots.
[/quote]

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=320378&forum=82#0

[quote]
...I paid £150 for that wreck of a product Kopy Kat. Which fell apart within weeks. I now can source the magnetic film for about £4 a sheet and make something more natural with ease.

that's a difference of £146. To be honest the routines that came with it weren't that great. Worth about £8 maybe...
[/quote]

You paid for the idea, the creation of a concept, the R & D, the routines, etc etc not just the materials.

Remember the fantastic 'Invisible Assistant' imp device. You could make this for pennies but it got great reviews and no-one complained about the price.

Derek
Amen to that, Derek.
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 07:36, kinesis wrote:
[quote]
...I paid £150 for that wreck of a product Kopy Kat. Which fell apart within weeks. I now can source the magnetic film for about £4 a sheet and make something more natural with ease.

that's a difference of £146. To be honest the routines that came with it weren't that great. Worth about £8 maybe...
[/quote]

You paid for the idea, the creation of a concept, the R & D, the routines, etc etc not just the materials.

Remember the fantastic 'Invisible Assistant' imp device. You could make this for pennies but it got great reviews and no-one complained about the price.

Derek
[/quote]

Actually Derek it got awful reviews a few weeks after when it fell apart. The ideas and routines were worth about £8 were less than average. Why not just tell us where to get the film and sell an e-book? That is only way you could justify the R&D.

The product was flawed it fell apart at the spine after a few weeks. It was over way over priced. Even if it had fantastic reviews I thought it was ****. It fell apart. Any other industry I would've got my money back.

When I see a good product I rave about it. When its **** I rave about it. However in this quaint little world of mentalism it seems its a crime to tell the truth.
I heard they can not fall apart on their own. So what did you do to it to make it fall apart?
Mike:

That is not fair.

Anything that is assembled stands the chance of coming apart.

Although I have not had a problem with my IMB, I have had issues with other products and those experiences have poisoned me from wanting to purchase anything else from those manufacturers. Even though most everyone else has nothing but good things to say about them. There is almost nothing worse than going to use something and getting ready to hand it out and finding that it is falling apart or has fallen apart. The only thing worse is having it do so in the spectators’ hands.

So although I don’t share MPs experience with the IMB, I share it with other items (from other manufacturers) and can completely understand and empathize with his feelings.

Tony
Mindpunisher, please disregard my previous post. I take back what I said. To be honest, Tony knows a lot more than I do. Tony is also the one who advised me to get the IMB a few years ago.
"Remember the fantastic 'Invisible Assistant' imp device. You could make this for pennies but it got great reviews and no-one complained about the price."

Derek
[/quote]

I did. And I'm still grousing about that piece o' carp. It was the one overpriced overhyped thing that made me realize that underpricing a good thing is much better than overpricing an old almost useless idea. It is the single reason I priced the Brazen Blindfold setup at $25 instead of $75 ('to keep it out of the hands of the merely curious'). At $75 it certainly might have been a bargain to anyone who used it, but a rip off to anyone who was getting it to study the field.

Like I mentioned, $60 for IA put me off of anything Skink (or whatever his name was) ever would put out...

Sorry for the inturrupt, but even mentioning IA gets me riled.
I don't think MP was referring to the IMB falling apart. Was he? He mentioned it was 150 lbs (I can't make that little lb symbol)

J
Pounds in his country means the price symbol.
If anyone wants to sell theirs please PM me
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 15:10, Dynamike wrote:
Pounds in his country means the price symbol.
[/quote]

I know I just couldn't make the symbol on my keyboard. sorry.
If we get back to the real reason I opened this thread at once, I still don't have a source for buying IMB,James Biss told me to contact him like over 2 weeks ago,I did same day but no response so can anyone help me with finding one?
Magicshop.co.uk

Alakazam.co.uk

Both these stock the item.

Peace & Love

Matt
[quote]
On 2009-07-08 07:02, daghank wrote:
If we get back to the real reason I opened this thread at once, I still don't have a source for buying IMB,James Biss told me to contact him like over 2 weeks ago,I did same day but no response so can anyone help me with finding one?
[/quote]
If you stay in USA, try here: http://www.misdirections.com/mental_clipboard.htm
Daghank, Glad to see your still looking to purchase an excellent prop, despite the all the cr*p. You won't regret it. Good luck in your search.

Best

Derek
[quote]
On 2009-07-08 07:02, daghank wrote:
Biss told me to contact him like over 2 weeks ago,I did same day but no response so can anyone help me with finding one?
[/quote]

Sit tight, he is in Rome, Ireland, and Kenya for another 2 1/2 weeks with very limited internet access. I am sure he will get back to you when he returns.
I like James Biss.
He has always been honest with me..
Several years ago, this debate was going on about his first book.
It humored me because I had personally witnessed unethical behavior by some of his detractors.
I liked James then. I like James now.
I have seen nothing in his work that indicates dishonesty and I hope that he puts out more work.
You can rant at me, call me names or whatever. But you can't take away my right to support whomever I choose.

And Sven, I liked your videos.
John, I liked your videos as well. I bought a few of your items. I already knew the principles behind some of your work. (One thing, in particular, had been in my show for a long time.) But your implementation was good.
Sometimes things here really surprise me.
James was not part of a clique here and was throughly whipped by some people.
There is a semi-well known dealer of magic who has put out some really carppy junk, displayed terrible business ethics, and these same bastions of "ethics" look the other way.
I find this, well.... amusing. It is amusing but sad.
There are a number of sellers that just rehash old junk.
My suggestion is that you find a reputable dealer, get to know him/her and listen to them.
I very highly recommend Denny at Denny's, Paul Gross at Hocus-Pocus and Joe and Mark at Steven's. Peter Nardi is wonderful if you live on the other side of the pond. There are many, many more. You just have to spend a little time and get to know them.
After getting corrected, I will post more.

Peace,
Parson
Thanks Parson for your support!

j
Well John,
I have found you to be decent and you do good work.Just calling it as I see it.
BTW, the effect that I have used is K,C & W.
Take care,
Parson
Hi folks!

Just back from Ireland and seeing Keith Barry's opening night at Dublin's Olympia Theatre. (1200 people in the audience and he's sold our four shows! He's without a doubt THE emerging superstar of mentalism...and it was a privledge to see him in action. He killed. And yes, he uses an IMB for his Pet effect, one of the highlights in the middle of his new show.)

In Rome, three weeks ago, I spent some quality time with Tony Binarelli and picked up terrific insights that have been haunting me ever since. He's a wise and gracious man and I hope he will be pursuaded to release some of his rough and smooth work for which he is a master. (I will never look at roughing fluid the same way again...)

I'm just repacking to depart tomorrow for Kenya. I really am getting to old for all this travelling!!! ... But my wife and I are excited to be finally heading out to do the school building project I've alluded to before here on the Café. As most of you know, my proceeds from Mind Blowing are financing our school house project in a community called Oloosiyoi on the Masai Mara. If you Google it, you'll discover, as I did, some startling and disturbing statistics. I'm thrilled to be doing something so worthwhile and experiencing such an adventure. I'm thankful to everyone in the magic community who have helped make this happen with the acquistion of my current book.

I look forward to returning with some new stories and some new inspiration from a land where magic is still very real (and where some of our silly arguements here on the Café, will no doubt seem a bit like Woofle Dust).

My apologies for not responding to all my PM correspondance of late and any special requests you've sent me in July. I will try to redeem myself at the end of the month upon my return.

Until then, please continue to focus on the important things in life and striving to make your mentalism more impactful and relevant to a cynical generation.

Warm regards,

James
Is the IMB only suitable for pictures or could I use it for words/ sentences as well?
[quote]
On 2009-11-02 13:34, FloKiel wrote:
Is the IMB only suitable for pictures or could I use it for words/ sentences as well?
[/quote]

You can use it for one or two words, so long as they're written nice and large ("so the audience can see them if need be"). I wouldn't risk using it for sentences. The longer the sentence, the smaller the writing, the harder your job becomes.
Thank you, Mike
Anyone interested in selling their IMB? I can't find one anywhere.
[quote]
On 2009-11-02 13:34, FloKiel wrote:
[/quote]
I use mine for pictures only. I use words for other effects.
Hi friends
I want to buy IMB and looking for this board . Do you know where can I find this ?
Cheers
As everything else with James Biss' name on it the board isn't his.

Except for that, there is far better solutions to find elsewhere