(Close Window)
Topic: An ha lim's great card manipulation
Hello everyone,
I have just come across An ha lim's performance on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHjaRbTfHmQ

I just want to share it with you. Please enjoy!!
I really think that the Koreans are the cutting-edge performers in the manipulation field.
One of the other notbale Korean performers is Han Seol Hui, the great CD manipulator.
If you have't seen his performance, check it too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5xA_K6lrc&feature=related#

P.S.
By the way, does anyone know where I can learn techniques such as producing three cards in one hand which An Ha Lim uses?
Check out Jeff McBride's card manipulation DVDs. He has a series of three out and they called him the "king of cards" for a reason - definitely an excellent investment.
I really liked the CD manipulator,he is so talented.His misdirection was excellent.But I think that CD manipulation is suitable only for TV,because of the angles.
Okay WOW. that guy is absolutely incredible, one of the most talented manipulation sequences I have ever seen in my life.

But, he is in my opinion too fast. In many many cases the manipulations are so fast I don't know how laymen can even register what is happening. for example the interlock productions and the single backpalms. the magic comes from seeing an empty hand, and a card appears! if hes furiously flipping through cards the hands don't seem empty in some of these phases. maybe that's just me being picky because the audience certainly loves it.

to answer your question about production of the 3 different color cards? That looks like a tenkai production.

and CD manipulation can surely be done live, I have seen lots of videos of it! Angles are always a consideration but that doesn't mean it can only be performed for a camera. just pick your moves carefully.
Liked them both, excellent work! I agree that the Korean's are fast becoming the cutting edge of manipulation. Even with the flashes (damn that camera!) and telegraphing his steals An ha lim's performance showed high energy and a superior level of skill. I'd hate to be a dance troupe following him! LOL!! Great work from both these young men!
I love An Ha Lim's act and can't wait to see him in Nashville on Thursday night.

Let him keep his 3 card production as his own. He hasn't published it and as far as I know it is his creation so let's honor him by letting it be his unique production.
Will the magic of tomorrow be dominated by this type of trend?
where`s the essence of magic in a real magic act gone to?
points worth to ponder upon.......
An Ha Lim was incredible, but as trashmanf pointed, he is WAY TOO FAST!

Plus, his act seemed more like a skill demonstration. It doesn't 'grow bigger', but only grows more and more difficult. The song he picked is great ('Explosive', by Bond), but he din't make it justice in all senses, since it doesn't get more exciting and mysterious... I was hoping for a big 'explosive' finale -with jumbo cards maybe- but I felt like the act stopped all of a sudden.
Well, I just wish I could do one half of what he is able to do.

Dave
To be honest, these YouTube videos do not do his act justice. I had the pleasure of seeing him live both at the IBM/SAM Convention last year and just a couple days ago at the IBM Convention in Nashville. His full length act has a much better structure and certainly has more of a build than the shortened version shown in the videos. Also, the nature of video makes a lot of his fast movements very difficult to follow. To be sure, he is very fast live, but everything he does is much more clear in person. His two- and three-card productions, perfectly color-coordinated, are simply beautiful to watch. If you ever get a chance to see this guy live, don't miss out.
I actually think his speed is the best part of his routine and is what sets him apart from other manipulators.

I don't think the audience is confused by the fast productions; the routine sets it up nicely with slow productions, and then ends with a flurry, which I think is much more exciting than a jumbo card production or a card castle finale.

Where can I see more of his stuff?
[quote]
On 2009-07-02 20:52, afoi wrote:
Will the magic of tomorrow be dominated by this type of trend?
where`s the essence of magic in a real magic act gone to?
points worth to ponder upon.......
[/quote]

Well he is probably only of the premier card JUGGLERS in the world. As for magic...that's another thing. The off beat and unexpected mystery and wonder (created by vivid characterization) of Cardini remains unparalleled.
One cannot create a sense of wonder unless there is enough of a pause for wonder to grow in. For all the skill, it's not in the league of Norm Nielsen or Channing Pollock. Sometimes less IS more.
You are absolutely right Jonathan.
Really, because I didn't see any juggling by him even for a second in this act.

"juggling" is a term that many magicians now use to try to put-down other forms of magic, usually used by jealous, lesser-skilled magicians to try to make themselves feel better.

we can discuss technique - I personally agree that a single backpalm production should be slower, to see the empty hand each time. When he does them, its like a long salt pour, lol, cards just falling nonstop from his hand.

but, it still commands respect to see this. and I'm sure if he wanted to he could do it much slower. Keep respect for masters of their art, even if it's a different method than you personally would do!
Here's a formula: skill minus wonder minus mystery = juggling
the phrase juggling in this context isn't new , it dates back to Robert-Houdin

and a couple of quotes (neither of which expresses a new idea of a jealous less-skilled individual):

Art lies in concealing art- Shakespeare

To create the greatest impression, one should appear to be using the smallest part of one's ability-John Mulholland

I was expressing a viewpoint regarding artistry, which is something like refinement...usually acquired after skill.
I understand the argument about juggling, but I also see no juggling in his act. My opinion is that if you're not a layman, it may be difficult to assess whether his act indeed created a sense of wonder.

I remember when I first saw Jeff McBride do his act on WGM; it wasn't his portrayal of a character that amazed me, but the card productions themselves. By the time he was spinning out from hand to hand (which looks like juggling), I was bewildered.

I recognize the differences between An ha lim's act and Cardini's act. But just because they are different, doesn't necessarily mean An ha lim's act is any less magical, in my opinion.
Like many things today, also Magic is categorized. The Magic An-Ha Lim is performing is Manipulation stage magic. What's the goal of card manipulation? Card manipulation is always connected and cannot be separated from showing off. You show the skill of your hands, which not everyone is able to do, e.g. hiding cards and producing them endlessly. An-Ha Lim is doing a perfect job with his act.....showing his skills (showing off)...if you all watched till the end of the video, the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better.
He won third place in Beijing.
On 2009-08-01 03:58, DaVinci wrote:
"...., the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better."

I'm now quoting director, author and playwright David Mamet: " A standing ovation can be extorted from an audience...what I seek is the gasp (of amazement)"
C'mon seriously. This quotation doesn't even nullify my argument. Why do you even think, or rather quote, that a standing ovation has been extorted. This thinking makes me think, that there's a pretty amount of jealousy in your quotation.
Btw, if you are seeking for gasp, look at the faces of the audience.
No question LIM is a CARD PRODUCING MACHINE... Interesting, tho, at the WMS there was a teen perfomer from Korea THAT WAS BETTER. More magical and much of the same techniques.
What was his name, Pete. Would love to know.

Regards,

Dave
I think Pete may be referring to Hara Hiroki, but it may be someone else.

About An Ha Lim, his act must have taken great skill and setup, but with the interlock productions, You could hardly even see when a card appeared. With the kind of skill that he posesses, He should let people see his skill clearly, and may want to slow things down.
I'd rather get my audience audience (no matter if lymen or Magi) mesmerized with Magic than jealous of my skillful hands and free off-stage time.

[quote]
On 2009-08-01 03:58, DaVinci wrote:
Like many things today, also Magic is categorized. The Magic An-Ha Lim is performing is Manipulation stage magic. What's the goal of card manipulation? Card manipulation is always connected and cannot be separated from showing off. You show the skill of your hands, which not everyone is able to do, e.g. hiding cards and producing them endlessly. An-Ha Lim is doing a perfect job with his act.....showing his skills (showing off)...if you all watched till the end of the video, the whole discussion would be unnecessary, cause since the audience gave him a standing ovation, his job couldn't be done any better.
[/quote]
While I think the preperation he puts into the act with the sorted colors, etc. is amazing and worth the effort, I couldn't agree with Fabio DeRose's last comment more. Magic is about mystifying--not impressing. But An Ha Lim has the makings of an even better act if he slows down and could be Amazing!
Sure, most magic has the goal to mystify people. But on the other hand what can you do as a card manipulator except from making the audience think "How in the hell is he producing so many cards from his hands?" Performed slow or fast, if you manage to make the audience think that way, you have done your job as a card manipulator.
[quote]
On 2009-08-01 18:48, DaVinci wrote:
Sure, most magic has the goal to mystify people. [/quote]

Well, on my opinion Magic is supposed to mistify. If not, what is it then? Gardening?

Keep in mind that the audience doesn't separate Manipulation from General Magic from Children's Magic from whatsoever. For the audience (And we, as Magicians, should work our miracles but for them, not for our fellow magi) the Magic is much, much simpler: either it is good or bad. Entertaining or not. Mystifying or show-offish (ergo boring). Smple as this (In my opinion, of course). The audience doesn't see if you're using a shell or not for your multiplying balls. They don't see gimmicks. They are not supposed to.

[quote]
But on the other hand what can you do as a card manipulator except from making the audience think "How in the hell is he producing so many cards from his hands?"
[/quote]

Again, on my own, personal opinion about some particular aspects of Magic, the best manipulation is that one which does not seem but mere manipulation. When manipulation seems effortless it is good manipulation.
After viewing the video. It is very apparent that some of the handling may be An ha Lim's very own. The methods he used can be found on Jeff Mc Bride's Card Manipulation DVD's and Juliana Chen's Shooting Card DVD (By the way did you know she is now producing 100% plastic manipulation cards.) A friend was kind enough to bring me a deck from the IBM Convention. Hardly tell the difference and they will last a very long time. Just wash them and re-use.

To go along with some of his different hand positions,Lim also has a very custom set of clothing in Tails. His unique method of steals using this clothing is new.

So if you would like to do such a manipulation of cards, just go to your local tailor and have him make you set of formal tails. That will set you back hundreds of dollars, so you must be committed. In the mean time learn from the above videos and maybe you could do such unique performance also.

I see he is not exactly wearing tails but a short coat with an attached type of skirt. Anyway speak with your tailor.

It would be better in my view if he would have stuck with more of a magical performance and not as much as a manipulator skill type of presentation.

Some of his productions such as the interlocked finger production was very poorly excuted.
[quote]
On 2009-08-01 19:59, Fábio DeRose wrote:

the best manipulation is that one which does not seem but mere manipulation. When manipulation seems effortless it is good manipulation.
This reiterates what I said up above ...art lies in concealing art.
An Ha Lim is a GREAT Mainpulator, probably the best in the world!

But after viewing his Fism contest performance via CCTV, think we all can see why he got third instead of 1st...in my PERSONAL view from what I seen

1) He makes a few mistakes in the 3/4 part of the card manipulation hence this is where he lose most of the points....his 'guilty' smile gave away too :P

2) There were split in the fan not a perfect fan sometimes...this lose points too as Yo Kato is close to perfection as well as the Germany manipulator.

3) Lastly, you can see the cards hidden behind his pants on the left & right, when the tail sway right to left as he was moving too fast...he should alter his tails to avoid this cos an top manipulator cannot allow this to happen...not sure if this happens in IBM/SAM 2008.

Hope he will be back stronger with more new original materials & a perfect tail to hide the cards :)
I agree with all that dove boy just said, But still think he missed the main reason he didn't win. It's because he performed his b*****lms and interlock productions so fast that the inventors of them would roll over in their graves! He performed the slow twirling productions in the middle beautifully but ruined the interlock and ba****lm productions because of his jerky, spastic movements. Any competition is looking for a manipulator with an everlasting exellent quality.
@dove-boy Can you give us a CCTV-link to hi FISM performance
I really would like to see this.
The younger kid also from Korea that pete said was better than Lim is Hun Lee, he won the 2008 teen contest at the world magic seminar!
http://space.tv.cctv.com/video/VIDE1249117328004882

An Ha Lim. Not his full act, though.
Orange Eric talked of a seemingly great manipulator, Hun Lee. Does anyone know where a video of his manipulation is?
I have not been able to find a video of his act anywhere on the internet, Im sure we will be seeing him in many competitions in the next year!
Elliot are talking about Seol-Hui Han the manipulator with CDs? If yes, here is a link of his FISM 2009 performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMgKJiVcBjM
The uploader has most of the award winning performances.
DaVinci, I wasn't talking about Seol Hui Han but I enjoyed the video!

Thanks A lot!
Hun Lee... yes he was awesome. More magical and many of the same types of manipulations. Keep your eyes peeled for him.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Grand-Champion-of-Magic-Greg-Frewin/25972091508#/hun.lee1?ref=mf
Two words. too fast
[quote]
On 2009-08-02 15:25, elliotstalter wrote:
I agree with all that dove boy just said, But still think he missed the main reason he didn't win. It's because he performed his b*****lms and interlock productions so fast that the inventors of them would roll over in their graves! He performed the slow twirling productions in the middle beautifully but ruined the interlock and ba****lm productions because of his jerky, spastic movements. Any competition is looking for a manipulator with an everlasting exellent quality.
[/quote]

I somewhat agree with this. It seemed like he was nervous. So much so that the productions were too fast. He normally goes fast (and I believe it is appropriate where he does), but either he was just nervous or trying too hard. I have seen him several times and he is spot on. As to competition looking for a manipulator with excellent quality - he is the most excellent on the planet. He has won just about every other contest he has entered and for a good reason. I think he just had an off day.
Peter, I agree with you. He did look nervous or trying too hard. His movements were jerkier than usual, revealing 'things' I have never seen with him before (I have only seen video - not been fortunate enough to see him live). He really appeared 'uneasy' for some reason.

Dave
I think his performance was wonderful! I was following the Jeff McBride webcasts on streetofcards and he was all the talk. Most people who Jeff spoke to thought An ha lim was going to win the Grand Prix in stage, based on his performance.

Ron
I predicted him to win Grand Prix. I have seen him live several times as well as several video performances and every single time he has received a standing ovation. To me it appeared that he was not his normal self on that FISM video.
Not that it matters or there is anything wrong with it but I just thought I'd point out that the music is the same music that Sterling dietz uses for his card manip routine. I'm not sure which one came first but An Ha Lim is definitely older.

Yehuda
Hey all,
Even I was surprised that we had the same music. I saw him for the first time (and competed against him) at the World Magic Seminar last year. I've been using the song "Explosive" for four years now, ever since I first started in magic. I was a huge fan of the Bond girls even before I was a magician. All of their music is great!

I recently saw An Ha Lim at FISM this year. His moves are incredible and his connection to the audience is great. But his performance wasn't as good as I saw it at WMS or IBM/SAM.

Sterling
http://www.MagicSterling.com
That was beautiful, almost had me in tears...
His performance was GREAT, but for me personally.. a little too fast. I know what he's doing and what the name of the production is what is happening, but because it is so fast I doubt everyone in the audience fully understands what he is doing. He got a well deserved reaction, but if he'd slow down just a little than he's get an even better one.. Just my opinion.

I especially liked the energy he puts in the performance, very nice!
I actually liked the fast pace of the first video of the thread. Excellent act!
I see a lot of people saying his act needs to slow down... this is actually not the full routine. It starts with a peaceful type melody and some mystifying slow/beautiful maipulations with just a few cards.. then at the half way point (about 4 minutes in) it turns to this rock music and becomes like brute force mainupulating. I think the Combo is incredible!
The definition of the word Magic. From reading these posts, some do not know the meaning of the word magic. So I thought I would post it straight form the dictionary.

mag·ic

mag·ic [májjik]
n
1. conjuring tricks: conjuring tricks and illusions that make apparently impossible things seem to happen, usually performed as entertainment

2. inexplicable things: a special, mysterious, or inexplicable quality, talent, or skill
watched the dancer's feet work their magic

3. supposed supernatural power: a supposed supernatural power that makes impossible things happen or gives somebody control over the forces of nature.

Magic is used in many cultures for healing, keeping away evil, seeking the truth, and for vengeful purposes.

4. practice of magic: the use of supposed supernatural power to make impossible things happen

adj
1. of or for magic: relating to magic or used in the working of magic
a magic potion

2. particularly important: particularly important or desirable
reach the magic number of 100 points

vt (past and past participle mag·icked, present participle mag·ick·ing, 3rd person present singular mag·ics)
subject something to magic: to make somebody or something seem to appear, disappear, change, or move by using magic

[14th century. Via Old French magique < Greek magikē < magos (see magus)]

like magic inexplicably, as though by magic rapidly without obstacles or difficulties

The Magic Mountain, a novel (1924) by German writer Thomas Mann.
It describes young engineer Hans Castorp's lengthy stay in a Swiss TB clinic. The clinic is a microcosm of European society at the time of World War I, with a cosmopolitan group of patients reflecting a range of contemporary political, philosophical, and scientific viewpoints.
Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. :hrmph: :donut5: :donut5:
As a manipulator with over 30 years performance experience, I'm going to offer my take on the OP's posted video of An Ha Lim. This is solely based upon what I viewed in the posted video as I have not seen him live nor have I watched any other of his videos.

I agree with JNeal. I agree with Bill Hegbli.

The good: I like his "style" and his choreography for the most part. I get that he is going for high energy, crispness and precision movement. He has practiced skill and offers much variety in his productions.

The bad: Flash, flash, flash. Worst interlock I've ever seen. Many of his fans are inexcusably sloppy. He's telegraphing so many productions it made me cringe. I'm hopeful his technical skill has improved since this was recorded or that he was just having a very off day. Pro viewpoint: When you're on an international TV show, you should never have an off day.

This spot is all spectacle and low magic. Where's the mystery, the suspense, the wonder, the magic? Where is the theatre?

Conclusion: I can only surmise that those of you praising this clip are simply suffering from skill envy.
Manipulation acts leave me cold. There is usually no characterization nor is there a personality; the two most important ingredients that a magician must have to connect to people. All I see is a juggler onstage producing things, and sometimes too fast. Manipulation acts have also devolved into a gymnastics competition with added or deducted points for fan evenness and so on.

Cardini played the character of a slightly tipsy aristocrat who becomes annoyed at the unexpected magic that his happening all around him. Norm Nielsen and Channing Pollock skipped this part and performed straight manipulation, but at least they slowed down enough so that one could experience the mystery of seemingly empty hands before the productions. Nielsen would also express surprise when the cards emerged from his mouth.

When Norm produced coins from the air, he would first look at a spot somewhere in front of him, and reach for that as if he was really plucking an imaginary hanging coin. I don't see that with these manipulators. They just hold out their arms and produce cards with machine gun like speed without even searching the air first for the spot where the cards supposedly come from.

The message of this new wave of manipulators seems to be: "Look how good I am". But that's difficult to appreciate when one has fallen asleep.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2016, Leo H wrote:
Manipulation acts leave me cold. There is usually no characterization nor is there a personality; the two most important ingredients that a magician must have to connect to people. All I see is a juggler onstage producing things, and sometimes too fast. Manipulation acts have also devolved into a gymnastics competition with added or deducted points for fan evenness and so on.

Cardini played the character of a slightly tipsy aristocrat who becomes annoyed at the unexpected magic that his happening all around him. Norm Nielsen and Channing Pollock skipped this part and performed straight manipulation, but at least they slowed down enough so that one could experience the mystery of seemingly empty hands before the productions. Nielsen would also express surprise when the cards emerged from his mouth.

When Norm produced coins from the air, he would first look at a spot somewhere in front of him, and reach for that as if he was really plucking an imaginary hanging coin. I don't see that with these manipulators. They just hold out their arms and produce cards with machine gun like speed without even searching the air first for the spot where the cards supposedly come from.

The message of this new wave of manipulators seems to be: "Look how good I am". But that's difficult to appreciate when one has fallen asleep. [/quote]

1. I agree with you about Norm Nielson. He was the inspiration for me to become a manipulator. Norm's manipulations were perfect. I first saw him on the Paul Daniels Show in 1978 on British TV, and I was instantly "sold" on becoming a manipulator too. I went on to win the IBM British Ring Shield Competition for Manipulation in 1988.

2. I don't agree with your sweeping statements about all manipulators coming across as nothing more than jugulars is going too far. There are some out there that do pure magic. Take Yu Ho Jin and Mike Chao for example. They work really slow, and the magic just happens. There is hardly a hint of finger flinging when they work.

FYI - when I first saw the OP video of An ha lim, I thought it was a young Sanada! They look so alike!
[quote]On Mar 17, 2016, inhumaninferno wrote:
As a manipulator with over 30 years performance experience, I'm going to offer my take on the OP's posted video of An Ha Lim. This is solely based upon what I viewed in the posted video as I have not seen him live nor have I watched any other of his videos.

I agree with JNeal. I agree with Bill Hegbli.

The good: I like his "style" and his choreography for the most part. I get that he is going for high energy, crispness and precision movement. He has practiced skill and offers much variety in his productions.

The bad: Flash, flash, flash. Worst interlock I've ever seen. Many of his fans are inexcusably sloppy. He's telegraphing so many productions it made me cringe. I'm hopeful his technical skill has improved since this was recorded or that he was just having a very off day. Pro viewpoint: When you're on an international TV show, you should never have an off day.

This spot is all spectacle and low magic. Where's the mystery, the suspense, the wonder, the magic? Where is the theatre?

Conclusion: I can only surmise that those of you praising this clip are simply suffering from skill envy. [/quote]

I am Definitely suffering from skill envy haha! I admit it. I will say like many others have said his act is far from perfect. I try to enjoy and watch but as far as learning from the video I mostly take away from it a determination to better conceal my own steals ect. there is one point when he literally just reaches in his pocket with no real misdirection but pointing at the cards falling, I view that as a reminder to better prepare my own routines so I have good misdirection at the times I need it. Just my thoughts but I am also probably the most inexperienced person on this thread (Maybe the Café...? ;) haha) so ignore at your own pleasure :lol:

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
I also think its fair to say that the act is easy to be picked apart by Magicians...
but I have watched it with several different laymen and I can say for certainty that they are usually left speechless by it...

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
I've seen people left speechless with a TT and a silk.
No Offense intended but I'm not sure that's very relevant... ofc there are many effects that can accomplish the Speechless reaction.
All I meant to say is I think An Ha Lim accomplished what he wanted to with his act... considering both his accolades and the acts entertainment value. (If I didn't make that clear I apologize)

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood.
This topic discussion is more about whether An Ha Lim is performing magic or showing his skill as a manipulator, aka juggler. A manipulator can perform magic by hiding his manipulation skill, and create wonder from the appearance, transformation, and vanish of objects.

I don't believe comments made to "tearing him apart" was intended as such, but to attempt to point out the differences between a magic manipulation performance and a straight manipulator.

That is why I posted the definition of what magic is.

Skill and demonstration of skill is not magic. It is a show off technic that demonstrates what he can do, through hard work and years of practice. In the end if he intended to perform a magic act, he forgot what magic is, and how to use his skill to create it.

We are here on a magic web site dedicated to the performance of magic, not anything else. So, as magic a performance An Ha Lim, has not created magic with his performance.
I definetly understand your points (and thanks for repeating cuz they went over my head the first time lol)... But respectfully I disagree with your last statement, for whatever the heck it's worth I feel laymen come away with a strong feeling they witnessed real magic (or intense sleeving XD as laymen will guess that no matter what the act lol) when they see An Ha Lim.. I understand the act maybe doesn't constitute actual magic, by definition. But for all intents and purposes it's magic.

In the words of a non magician friend of mine "I saw him reach into his pocket, but I'm like what the heck does that matter? I don't even know how he could possibly have the pocket space for that many cards, it's was like !@#$*** 5000 cards?! Like wtf?! Where did they come from?" I can't remember exact wording but that was the idea.

Anyway, my point is just my opinion and isn't more valid than yours by any stretch, it's just how I feel. Like I said we can agree to disagree.

Thanks, Ryan Lockwood