(Close Window)
Topic: David Regal's New "Plumber's Helper"
David came by Dean's Shoppe a while back with his new version of the Pom Pom trick.
He introduced it that day to my customers and a few of the guys. Rich Hurley, Dr Bill, Jonathan Levit and a few more. The routine was not only fun but so well thought out. And the contraption, well what can I say. Brilliant. If you saw the working that went into making it you would say, No Way.
Check out the clip. Very clever and has a great ending. Finally. Great job David. Love it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BTixtCZLnQ
Dean
Very nice!
Sweet!
Finally an ending! Water under pressure too! That sells me!
Wow that is fun stuff.
Very Great!
David, your mind never stops... Great prop and very funny presentation...
Pablo
Hahah, that was really good. DEFINETLY the best version available:)
Fantastic principle and application!
You know, even a "Worst of David Regal" would still be great.
That is just killer! I have the Kovari version and it's good but the water ending is superb!!
How much?
James
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Jun 28, 2009 09:34PM)
$300 on his website I believe... well worth it if you ask me.
Finally, a Pom Pom for adulty!

Thanks David.

Bob
Magician, writer, and now Home Depot demonstrator... :thumbsup: ...
This has to be one of the most inspiring reinventions of an old idea that I've seen in a while. Giving the magic a theme and motivation all the while adding practicality into a wide variety of performers' shows - my hats off to you Mr. Regal.

Very nicely done.
You are all very kind. To give credit where credit is due, the action of the "stick" is an invention of Louis Histed. Terry Seabrooke had the idea of adding plumbing fixtures to Chinese Sticks, and Pete Biro then added them to the Histed "Pom Pom" Sticks. I was always amazed by the basic principle of Histed's, but felt it was a better prop than effect as it had no real conclusion. It generally ended with the performer saying "I can't figure it out either..." and sort of fell off the table.

So I worked on a way to end the trick as I do in the demo (and I discovered that Mike Caveney, who was very supportive of my efforts, developed an enormously different way to do the same thing with Seabrooke's Chinese Sticks). Obviously I incorporated additional workings along with the original Histed idea. The final result is a prop that is self-contained and very practical. There are additional facts about it on my website.

Thanks again.

David
Am I stupid? I can't find it on the website. Help!
Here you go:

[url=http://www.davidregal.com/product_plumbershelper.html]Click here[/url]
If only there was a chrome version!
James
James, please tell me you're kidding.
The thing would way a ton! OK...mayby not a ton. But it would be pretty heavy to be holding with one arm.
Very nice love the comic possibilities with this.
Tried a couple of times to view the video...but there seems to be a problem with the it on Youtube right now....I'll try again later...

Ken
I went to YouTube - it's playing:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BTixtCZLnQ]Plumber's Helper[/url]
Yup..check again tonight and it's playing...

Awesome!

Kwn
I was sent an email from someone that alarmed me, as I'm afraid I might not have been absolutely clear. Here is the email:

Hi David,
Your Plumbers Helper looks great!
However, I am a bit confused about the necessary set-up. In your description, it says you need a real faucet water supply system, not just a well.
Then you also mention it is self-contained and nothing attached to it or your body.
So I guess my question is that the water that comes out at the end of the routine, is it self-contained IN the prop, or do you need a hose connected to a faucet somewhere?? Or is the faucet connection to be used BEFORE the show to fill up a water well IN the prop?? I can't imagine a hose going to a real water supply faucet off stage connected to the stage?? Thanks for your help.

To clarify, Plumber's Helper is self-contained. One needs a faucet of some type simply to set it for a performance. Then it is ready to go, and can be tossed in the backseat of a car, etc. [i]Nothing[/i] is attached to the performer at any time.

The run was of 36 pieces. More may be made in the future but that is far from my mind as I am just now recuperating from this run! I kept one unit for myself, and over half of the remaining units have been sold.
I like it!

And that is saying a lot from a hard core Chinese Stick man. I have about 100 sets of Chinese Sticks. I have one set of Histed sticks I made in the 80's. After seeing it one time I figured it out. So I really was never that excited about Histed sticks and their variations.

I like this! It looks like something I can use! My order is already in!

ACE
David,

That email was hilarious. Great way to perform, keeping that hose hooked up throughout the performance AND managing to keep it hidden! That's the magic part.

Steve
Hey, it wasn't his fault - I needed to be more clear.
When I first read the description, I was confused about needing a water source. With all the claims in advertising, why can't you hook up a hose and hide it?
But I read further, and watched the video, and it was all clear. This is something that looks practical and can be a performance piece.
Mine is on the way! Thanks! I will try to put it in some of my summer camp shows before the summer is over!

ACE
Hold on, David. Now, you say it's self-contained. Therefore, since the water source is your self, how do you hide the hose that goes from you to the Plumber's Helper? How long of a hose must I have, anyway? I'm really sorry, but I'm afraid this effect is too physically demanding for me to consider buying it.
Big boxer shorts.

Steve
All right guys...not everyone will know you are joking, and as I put my blood into this thing, let me be clear:

THIS IS SELF-CONTAINED

In performance there is nothing...no hose...no hollow leg...NOTHING but the Plumber's Helper doing what it does.

IN FACT...

You could put the entire Plumber's Helper into a [i]spectator's[/i] hand at the beginning of the routine, tell him what to do at every stage, and it will work for him! I don't recommend this as a method of performance - I'm just making a point.

Yikes.

Dudes....
If one watches the video demo and reads the entire description it should be obvious that this is completely self contained and a great stand up performance piece.

Since I never use tables, this is perfect for my style.

I will spend a couple of days rehearsing and put it right into the act. I have 2 shows a day until the end of the summer, so I plan on soaking down some kids!

ACE :dance:
If my friend ACE says it's good...it's a good workable effect!

Steve
I'm already thinking of ideas, such as the wizard hat to plunger...I might put it on the helpers head and have them hold an old bucket for the water...
I also juggle plungers...
I see a theme here...

ACE
This is a brilliant idea.
Wow, what a wonderful take on an old, worn out classic.
This is something adults and family audiences can and will enjoy.
Well done David!!!!!!
[quote]
On 2009-07-04 22:54, mrmental2003 wrote:
This is a brilliant idea.
Wow, what a wonderful take on an old, worn out classic.
This is something adults and family audiences can and will enjoy.
Well done David!!!!!!
[/quote]

hold on. what part is a brilliant idea? the water coming out? if so, yep brilliant.
being made of plumbing parts?.......
If you go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and look for "Pluber's Poles" you will find my trick for very little money. You get all but the water ending. Which I would have had but didn't want to run the cost up. You should see the prototypes in my shop.

Here's a link and video. (Oh, and it is only $47.50)

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1563
You could use the old clown bucket to catch the water, then it looks like you throw the water into the audience but confetti comes out.
And, Pete, if you had added the water aspect, then the cost would have been higher (maybe around $300); but, the trick would have been so much better and I would have been inclined to buy it as I have with David's. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Your post smacks too much of sour grapes.
[quote]
On 2009-07-05 14:20, Winks wrote:
And, Pete, if you had added the water aspect, then the cost would have been higher (maybe around $300); but, the trick would have been so much better and I would have been inclined to buy it as I have with David's. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Your post smacks too much of sour grapes.
[/quote]
Whoa there... this is Pete's first post on this topic and I am surprised. Pete had the plumbing parts idea ages ago. David is a great guy, and maybe he never heard of Pete's version. I don't like the thought of people thinking David was the first person to use plumbing parts. The water coming out part, fine.

Pete hasn't said a word about any lack of mention of his idea or asking for credit.

s
As I have calmed down, I suddenly realize that this might spark a sale of my Plumber's Sticks, at under $50.00 You want water? Palm a syringe. (Hey, I think I'll start doing that!)
[quote]
On 2009-06-29 11:30, David Regal wrote:
You are all very kind. To give credit where credit is due, the action of the "stick" is an invention of Louis Histed. Terry Seabrooke had the idea of adding plumbing fixtures to Chinese Sticks, and Pete Biro then added them to the Histed "Pom Pom" Sticks. I was always amazed by the basic principle of Histed's, but felt it was a better prop than effect as it had no real conclusion. It generally ended with the performer saying "I can't figure it out either..." and sort of fell off the table.

So I worked on a way to end the trick as I do in the demo (and I discovered that Mike Caveney, who was very supportive of my efforts, developed an enormously different way to do the same thing with Seabrooke's Chinese Sticks). Obviously I incorporated additional workings along with the original Histed idea. The final result is a prop that is self-contained and very practical. There are additional facts about it on my website.

Thanks again.

David
[/quote]

I wrote the above in this same thread, so I am surprised, Pete, that you feel uncredited. I just sent you a personal email, as well. I wrote a cover story on you for Genii, Pete, so you know that I think the best of you.

As for your saying, essentially, that you could have given this effect - an effect sorely in need of an ending, harmed by a lack of an ending, weakened by a lack of an ending - the very same ending that I have worked out [i]had you wanted to[/i]...well, I guess I wanted to more than you did. That was a judgment call on your part and my part...but to discount an original mechanism (as opposed to a cosmetic change) that I devised after many months of trial and error, and a prototype that cost me well over a thousand dollars, a mechanism that you have never seen...that seems unnecessary.

I remain a fan of your contributions not only to this plot, but many others as well!

All the best,

David
Hi Guys,

I had an idea for this effect that I shared with David and he gave me permission to share it with you. On the opposite side of the pole from the faucet, you create a chamber where you can pour water in and fill it with s***h p****r. (make sure this is accessible later) Perform the effect as on the video filling the opposite side with water to start. The audience will think the water is what is making it work. At the end when you open the tube it will look like the water vanished. Now you turn on the faucet with the pole separated or reassembled depending on preference to show the water has magically reappeared.

Just food for thought.
Max
Ah, Pete, being of the staunch political persuasion that he is, sees nothing wrong in fanning the icy cold winds of c o m p e t I t I o n.
David. Yes we have been and still are good friends.

I was just initially shocked when I saw your prop.

To tighten up the crediting a bit. Seabrooke put styrofoam stoppers on his Chinese Sticks. No plumber's parts. My add to his idea, which we discussed was to add the faucets to Chinese sticks. Then I felt that the sticks were NO GOOD for the effect with "real" stoppers owing to their weight.

So I made a set of "Histed" Sticks with parts from Home Depot and the first few had real faucets, but I didn't like them due to the weight and switched to the plastic "Phoney Faucets." I had a set with water in one (they are hollow) and it didn't seem to play enough better to warrant adding the water. I got a lot out of the routine and had an ending, based on premise/patter.

I would like to have been shown your set before you marketed it and I assumed you would have asked, "Is it OK with you?" And I would have said, "YES IT IS A GREAT IDEA." Which it is. And again, as I said above, "Maybe this will spur an increase in sales of mine."

I hope you do well with yours.
Pete - your incorporating plumber's parts into the Histed sticks was a great addition - it actually gave the thing a reason for being!

I want to be repeat that Mike Caveney came up with his own, different, method of making water come out of the plumbing version of the Chinese sticks long before I made Plumber's Helper. In fact, it was he who made it very clear to me, when I discussed my ambition, that the water [i]had to be under pressure[/i] to "hit" hard, make it look the way it should look, and act as a climax. I was actually on the phone with Mike when the basic method for Plumber's Helper's occurred to me. I then began experimentation with a grand variety of materials.

I'm not certain, but something tells me that Pete Biro's version of the Histed sticks, without the Plumber's Helper climax, can be purchased for under $50 from Steven's Magic Emporium where a video demo can also be seen:

[url=http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1563]Hmmm...could this be it (click)?[/url]
Two part question. First can I do this with rootbeer? If so how do I get rootbeer into my hose and why would I want to do it with rootbeer in the first place? Another issue, with peanut allergies killing off kids all over the world would it be wise not to produce peanut butter from the faucet?
Well, I would suggest Yogurt... it's healthier.
I used to have one of those plastic faucets with elastic that you put around someones head, and when you turned it on, water came out. I don't remember where I got it, and I sold it years ago. I don't know if this is still availabe. This is the first thing I thought of when I read about David's Plumber's Helper.
Maybe this faucet could be put on the end of Pete's Plumers Pole. It is not under high pressure, but it is self contained and pours out some water.

ACE
Then a good finish would use a snake or some sort of roter rooter. Maybe after peanut butter or yogurt you would need to pour in Draino.
Yes you could use the water but I don't feel it adds to MY ROUTINE. I didn't want set up time, need for water, and any mess. I used mine on TV shows, Comedy Clubs, conventions, lecures, etc. and never found any need to add to my routine.
I see what you mean Pete. In your case, why fix something that is not broken.

ACE
Caveney was right. The pressure is [i]everything[/i]. I'm not kidding. We all know what water does when we turn on a faucet. To see anything other does not amaze, it subtracts.
I can see the Three Stooges killing with this.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 5:16pm
Yikes... just got an order for 8 sets of Plumber's Sticks from Joe Stevens. To work.
Pete...God bless you...but fella, this is bad etiquette. Start your own thread instead of hijacking mine!
Of the 36 Plumber's Helpers from this run, as of today four remain for sale.
The one heading for NYC is mine. Thanks David.
I'd say we're seeing one of the uglier, lower class sides of free market competition happening here. Sad.
I'm trying to be a gentleman...I think so, anyway.
I said it way back that Pete is having a real case of sour grapes. He needs to grow up. I don't care how big a smella he thinks he is here, he is acting like a spoiled child. David won't say it - he's too much of a gentleman - but someone has. Pete is waaaaaay out of line.
Pete is just excited. Are we not all?
It is a Plumbing prop Renaissance and we all shall benefit.

Peace pipes all around.
I was being silly and it has turned sour. Sorry all.
I got this today, it is like Christmas in July! It is very well put together. Very clever and not thrown together. Looks well thought out. No complaints! The DVD was very good and to the point, which I like, no filler.

I'm going to change the story, instead of north, south, east, west, here in New Orleans we locals give directions, not with compas directions, but River side, Lake Side, This side of I-10, And the West Bank is actually toward the East!

I can tell when an out of towner is giving me directions, they say the house is on the North East corner, and I really don't know what they are talking about. I only know the city from the Lakeside or the riverside, airport or downtown.

Then with all the new construction after all the Hurricanes here, this looks like something you will see. Every other person here is in construction, and the biggest industry is Lowe's and Home Depot!

I can say I got one of the fly by night contractors to fix my house after Katrina, and this is what they did after I paid them and they left town.( This is like stuff that really happened to people here).

It will take a few days to write the story, when I get it perfected, I will share.

ACE
Sounds so great ACE!
Lovely theme!
Here's a line I thought of if I had Regal's Plumber's Helper.

As you display the prop: "You probably wonder where I got this. Got it on Ebay... the ad said, 'Like new, used only three times on insurgents at Gitmo!"
Huh?
Waterbording.. I've used it and it gets a solid laugh.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Jul 9, 2009 01:16AM)
[quote]
On 2009-07-09 01:56, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]

Ah torture jokes...where would we be without them !!
[quote]
On 2009-07-08 23:52, Pete Biro wrote:
Here's a line I thought of if I had Regal's Plumber's Helper.

As you display the prop: "You probably wonder where I got this. Got it on Ebay... the ad said, 'Like new, used only three times on insurgents at Gitmo!"
[/quote]

That made me laugh out loud.
[quote]
On 2009-07-09 01:56, Pete Biro wrote:
[/quote]
Sorry, but I cannot laugh about your line.
Gunthard
Yeah, a low brow line, I agree. Unless you're performing for the CIA maybe.

How about returning to topic and we get off "funny" lines about war, torture and politics.

David, when will your next batch of Plumber's Helpers be up and ready for sale?
Mine arrived yesterday. Very pleased. I wrapped some duct tape around the tubing in one spot just to add to the ambiance. Many, many possibilities here with the ending of the working faucet.
I just got the last one in stock from Hocus Pocus - Paul is great to deal with by the way! This will going into next year's reading show - which has a water theme - "Make a Splash at Your Library."

I can't wait for it to arrive!
I wish I would have had these with me at the Birthday party I did yesterday. While I was setting up,
the little 10 year old girl asked if I do the "milk" trick. I said I used to, but kept spilling the milk, and the dad looked releived. He said, no we don't want that.(A very rich house).
So then the girl asked if I do ANY liquid tricks!
If I had the Plumber's Helper with me, I could have did that to her!

I need to keep this in my car, like David said, once set up, throw them in the back of the car and you are always ready to go!

ACE
For those of you who might want a routine other than the one than comes with this effect I have just written one. It has not been tested on an audience but I think it is kind of funny. I will only send this to those who actually have the effect. If you email me at mrmagic0@gmail.com and tell me what the last word is on the inside cover of the DVD I will send it to you. You can use it if you like.

Ron

PS I like this effect a lot.
I finally got around to opening mine today...and I admit loving it.

Remarkably lighter in weight than I anticipated..even while loaded with water.

Works like a charm. DVD explaining everything was entertaining and complete.
It is very cleverly designed inside and out with multiple cool secret features. David Regal is funny and smart.

I have not tried the steady pour yet but the gushing water is hilarious...it really gushes out strong...a wonderful thing.
Pete I like your line maybe it was layed out to do 2 at once since they are being released so quickly
[quote]
On 2009-07-12 19:45, Acecardician wrote:
I wish I would have had these with me at the Birthday party I did yesterday. While I was setting up, the little 10 year old girl asked if I do the "milk" trick. I said I used to, but kept spilling the milk, and the dad looked releived. He said, no we don't want that.(A very rich house). So then the girl asked if I do ANY liquid tricks! If I had the Plumber's Helper with me, I could have did that to her!

I need to keep this in my car, like David said, once set up, throw them in the back of the car and you are always ready to go!

ACE
[/quote]

The father was relieved because you didn't do any liquid tricks in his very expensive home, but you lamented the fact that you didn't have Plumber's Helper in your car so you could have sprayed pressurized water everywhere?

I don't get it.
He was releived I did not have MILK to spill.
She asked if I did MILK trick, and I said how messy milk is and I've ruined many props with it, because I would always spill it in my case. Then she asked if I could do ANY liquid tricks. I did not mention there was a pool party going on, and they all came in dripping wet. A little water splashed into a pail would not hurt anything. Maybe I could watch the man freak out and everything would be okay.

I said I had to do my show indoors. I could have ran outside to do this before they all came in, as I was still setting up while the one girl was sitting there asking questions.

I was just commenting on the fact that David said you can have this ready and I could have had it ready. It was unusual that this was the first time someone asked if I do liquid tricks and I just got this!

I think you are thinking to hard. Don't try to figure it out. I was just rambling.

http://s474.photobucket.com/albums/rr110/ChineseSticks/?start=all

ACE :dance:
[quote]
On 2009-07-07 17:16, Pete Biro wrote:
Yikes... just got an order for 8 sets of Plumber's Sticks from Joe Stevens. To work.
[/quote]

Ya, Pete, not going to lie, but this is just bad taste - I came here trying to find information on DR's effect and had to read a page about yours and although I totally respect your work and creations, Start your own thread and show some class!
For those of you that have purchased this and would like a way to carry it around I have found the perfect case. It is sold here: http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~product_id=05977

I split the plumbers helper into two pieces and it fits great in this case. I just removed the foam to make it fit. This is the least expensive case I have found of this type. I have no affiliation with this company. I just thought I would help those who have purchased this great item.

Ron

PS I have a great poem that can be used for this effect. Email me if you have an interest.
Old thread,

However I am considering buying one of these for my kids show and then adding a clown bucket that when water goes in the bucket I throw confetti at them...

Anyone have one for sale?

What does anyoen think of this effect that owns one already?
Message: Posted by: Sock Puppet Monkey (Apr 8, 2011 06:25PM)
[quote]
On 2009-07-13 20:09, mrmagic0 wrote:
For those of you who might want a routine other than the one than comes with this effect I have just written one. It has not been tested on an audience but I think it is kind of funny. I will only send this to those who actually have the effect. If you email me at mrmagic0@gmail.com and tell me what the last word is on the inside cover of the DVD I will send it to you. You can use it if you like.

Ron

PS I like this effect a lot.
[/quote]

Ron,

I like this effect quite a bit as well. Would like to take you up on your routine offer but my DVD didn't come with a cover as I purchased it from a fellow Café member. Let me know if there's something else I can share that would prove I have the effect. Thanks!

SPM