(Close Window)
Topic: Most practical set of miniature cups
Excluding chop cups, What do you think are the most practical cups to carry around? Talking here about cups that you can carry in your pocket or take with you on a short trip. Personally, I like the Riser mini cups but would be interested in hearing what others think.

Fortasse
Never handled the Riser mini's but I hear good things!

I'm quite the fan of the Foxy 2 combos myself!
The Riser mini cups are excellent.

I also like the Van Dokkum micro cups in brass or stainless.
I agree Bill, Auke's cups are awesome from mini to MONSTER! I've yet to add a set to my hord but I sure admired em all at WMS!
I like the delrin cups a lot. They will take a golf ball size final load.

Does anyone have any information on the durability of the delrin cups? Are they pretty durable or will they develop cracks due to contant stressing and/or flexing of the cups while being carried inside the pocket?
Hey Turk
I have a set of White Beauties. As I was taking some picture of them on my close-up table, I drop one on the tile. The drop was about 4ft, the cup landed on the side and no lie bounced back up 3ft. I was really scared to look at the cup, but to my surprise there was no damage. White Beauties built RNT tough

Jeremy
Personally, I think shape is really important in a mini cup. More so than a regular set of cups.

Too many cups I've seen are made to hold a particular item for a final load.
Or made to be as short a stack as possible instead of tall enough to grasp.
Or made to hold 3 balls on top.

These are all great thoughts but without putting thought into all these things at the same time you end up with a set you don't like.

From what I can tell, the riser mini traditionals look like they were made with all
proper thinking in mind.

Very few mini sets are. Be careful or you end up with a pretty set of cups that sits on your shelf.

Just because a mini version is proportionally the same as the regular version, it does not mean that it's well designed for actual use.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jun 30, 2009 03:24AM)
Frank's right and the Riser Mini's have already been mentioned a couple of times. I love mine:

http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/James-P-Riser-Copper-Mini's.html

There's no compromise with them like some small cups.

As Jeremy and Turk have said the Delrin "Beauties" are also well designed, if you want something lighter for your jacket pocket too.

Bri
Don't forget the Paul Fox Mini cups. :)
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jun 30, 2009 05:11AM)
Why did you have to remind me??!! (I've spent enough already!)

Don posted a picture of some Silver ones he's planning
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=315462&forum=115&post=6129556

Also Bruce reviewed some over at cupscon
http://www.cupscon.com/index.php/topic,306.0.html

Bri
I have one of the earliest sets of the Black Beauty cups that was ever made. I put this set of cups through several tests that would have been destructive on cups that were made of thin copper, brass, aluminum or traditional ABS plastic. They survived with no damage at all.

They are easy to grasp, with their three ring design, and they are light in the pocket. You can also get the same thing in brass as the Foxy I cups.

I like the mini Paul Fox cups as well.

It's hard to descide which set of mini cups I like the best.
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 04:24, mindyourmagic wrote:
Frank's right and the Riser Mini's have already been mentioned a couple of times. I love mine:

http://www.cupsandballsmagic.com/James-P-Riser-Copper-Mini's.html

There's no compromise with them like some small cups.

As Jeremy and Turk have said the Delrin "Beauties" are also well designed, if you want something lighter for your jacket pocket too.

Bri
[/quote]

Actually that's the original set of Riser Minis. I think his new "Traditionals" seem better. And I see that he calls them the Midi-Traditionals.
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jun 30, 2009 12:05PM)
[quote]
On 2009-06-30 12:18, Bill Palmer wrote:
I have one of the earliest sets of the Black Beauty cups that was ever made. I put this set of cups through several tests that would have been destructive on cups that were made of thin copper, brass, aluminum or traditional ABS plastic. They survived with no damage at all.
[/quote]

That's amazing consdering how light they are, Delrin must be strong stuff. I knowthey cetaily wouldn't ruin the cut of your suit (if you wear one) which has to be an advantage.
I LOVE MINI CUPS! Great for close-up. The trick is to find a set of mini cup that can do all the classic moves (like the Galloping Post). I'm biased of course, but the [b]Paul Fox Mini Cups[/b] are my "go to" cups these days. They are really turning out to be my favorite cup in the whole RNT inventory! You can use 3/4 inch balls with them unless you need to nest 3, then you have to use 5/8 inch. The jumbo loads are golf ball size: 1 3/4 inch, so the loads fit comfortably in the pockets, but are big enough to WOW an audience. They will be available VERY soon.
I love them so much that I'm working on tooling for a matching Chop Cup and just finished up a prototype for a matching Solid cup - since the cups are only 2 inches tall, switching in a Solid cup or three is doable.
I have a set of Foxy II mini combo cups on my desk at work. I may have to take them home soon to polish them. They are brass and I like to keep them looking just as they did when I got them from Jake. I know- patina and my Paul Fox cups have that patina, but brass...

It's the old soldier in me - brass must be polished, must be polished, must be polished.
It's a toss up for me between the Riser Mini' and the PF Mini's. I also have half a dozen other sets of mini cups, but these two are the best.
Is the Riser Mini still available?
Message: Posted by: cupsandballsmagic (Jun 30, 2009 01:33PM)
James, as Frank say's the one in the review on my site is the original. I do provide the link in the review to the new version of it (Midi Trads.)
Thanks, Bri. I'll take a look at the review.
I still love my RNT Mini-Jester cups. Have both copper and blue gun steel, both are great to handle.
I have the mini traditionals, montis, mini ickle pickle in copper etc but my favourites are my Riser midi-traditionals (although I'm on the look out for the original minis if anyone has a set), mini PF (copper or brass) and my 4 lil brass foxy 2s combo-which I use solely for Dominique Duviviers routine...

But I'm always on the hunt for new cups and presentations :)
Stainless PF minis are my favourites.
Kipee... have you the Johnny Paul cups and his great routine?
Hey - I will have to place my vote to the white beauties. I picked up a set recently on ebay and I have to admit - I love them! The moves can be a bit trickier, but they are very light in your pocket and also seem very durable. I wasn't sure about the "mini cup thing" but now I'm ready to spring for a new set - maybe PF minis!
Actually there are two different types of Riser minis that I particularly like : the original type which is squat and squarish and in copper, of course. Each cup weighs about 2.5 oz. The inside diameter is about 2 inches. The height is about 2.25 inches. These cups have quite a pronounced side bead and lip. The newer minis that I also like very much were marketed as the Riser "Innocent" minis - so called because although squat and squarish as well, they seem completely innocent of any trickery. There is no lip and not much of a side bead, at least not in the traditional sense. They look rather ordinary (reminiscent of the design of the old Ravel cups). These Riser "Innocent" mini cups have essentially the same dimensions as the original minis (give or take a fraction or two) but seem to be made of a lighter guage copper. They weigh about 2.25 oz. each so the difference in weight is not substantial.

Both types are great for handling although if I had to choose between them, I would go for the original type any day of the week. For practicality, for "feel", and for aesthetic appearance, they are, in my view, the best of the best of the minis.

Fortasse
I'm a big fan of the PF-minis (these are amazing in size, shape and feel), but if I needed to carry three cups in my pocket, I think I'd prefer to go for the Foxy 1 size (same as the "beauties").
Delrin is a super durable material, almost indestructible. It's used quite a bit in the construction of certain parts of illusions. Works great if 2 pieces need to slide against one another. Pretty pricey and harder to get compared to wood or aluminum though. Didn't know they had started making cups out of it though, that's cool.
I just watched one of my friends here in Nashville do his amazing cups and balls routine with his PF mini copper cups -- djkuttdecks. This is one of the most amazing routines I have ever seen.

He baffled everyone with it.
As a working professional, I'd have to vote for any of the Delrin Cup sets (Red, Black, White, Yellow, Mixed, etc.) Light weight and virtually indestructable.
I like John Shryock "Live At Caesars" DVD with his mini cups routine (which differs from Milt Kort), and the only set of mini cups I could use (if only for emotional reasons) is the C&Bs Museum set offered to me by Bill Palmer in March last.
Thanks very much, Etienne.
Any descriptions of djkuttdeck (?) routine? Of course you're easy to baffle. :kermit:
He posted it to youtube a while back. He is getting ready to put it out on a DVD. He fooled Howie Schwarzman with it.
Carl Cloutier in his World Class Magic VHS was offering his Single Cups and Balls: A routine for the miniature cup and balls where the cup appears, the balls appear, change color, grow and vanish.
I've wondered where DJ was hiding! I vaguely remember his routine on YouTube but as I recall it was quite cool! I'll look forward to seeing it again!

Fooled Howie and Bill.... that's a hellava compliment!

MMc
What do you think about RNTII's Monti Mini Combo Cups? I'd like to do Mendoza's routine with a combo set, but also be able to do the Loomis routine for the micro chop cup. Will this work or is there something else I should consider?

Thanks,

Gene
Get one for each. The requirements are different for each one. The combo sets usually come with the Mendoza routine. If not, you can purchase it from Morrissey.

Purchase the micro chop cup routine from Dennis, if you don't have it.

Then you will understand what you need, and why.
What about the milt kort mini cups? Anyone like these?
The Kort original RNT Mini Combo Cups (as sold by Ireland's/Magic Inc.) are truly wonderful as is the routine supplied; BUT for actually carrying in your pocket or purse for casual social performing I recommend the really small mini cups made of gun metal steel by Mad Jake (Sr.) @ RNT.

These are not combo cups, but are most practical for a quick FUN routine with a traditional single large ball finale' and they are very sturdy.

I don't think many of these were sold during that time period (retail was $100.00 back then)...

Jake also made the small c&b sets for Bill's Museum in brass and another metal (not the gun metal steel) which are comparable in size and not combo's. I don't know if these are still available.

Julie
My brother's store AirShip Magic has mini stainless steel cups that I CNC'd for him. They're tough as nails.

https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/132-the-stroller-cups-coming-soon.html

Jake Jr.
I have a set of Sherwood Midi Nickel Combo Cups... they're amazing. Perfect in every way.. They look great and work well. The nickel doesn't tarnish. Check them out here: http://www.sherwoodmagic.com/midiCupStore.php
Wanting a cups-and-balls routine I could easily carry in my pocket is what led me to the three shell game. There's a routine that blends cups-and-balls with the shell game in Ganson's Routined Manipulation Finale, page 175 -- "Hans Trixer's Routine with the Miniature Cups and Balls."
Those look nice and practical!

[quote]On Jun 16, 2019, Mad Jake wrote:
My brother's store AirShip Magic has mini stainless steel cups that I CNC'd for him. They're tough as nails.

https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/132-the-stroller-cups-coming-soon.html

Jake Jr. [/quote]
BTW, there have been at least two different types of cups sold as "Kort Cups" by Magic, Inc. One was a traditional style cup, which is very similar to the RnT II Jester Cup. The other was a mini Monti style cup.
Mr. Palmer thank you for the access to the Museum. I was looking for a specific set of mini cups and found them in the Museum . Golden Gate Magic nickel cups with the bottom hallmark. I have a set of
these so now we know where 2 sets are :) , ok back to visiting the Museum :)

Jake Jr.
When I got my set of the Golden Gate mini's, the fellow I got them from said that there must have been more sets made, but small cups have a tendency to get lost. The really tiny ones get mistaken for thimbles. Or sometimes, someone will step on one of them and flatten it.

Imagine an archaeologist sometime in the future coming across a busker's pouch with a set of cups and balls in it. The balls have decayed to dust, so all that is left is the pouch and three cups. Would he think these were conjuring apparatus or something to eat or drink from?