(Close Window)
Topic: Large compact disc?
I would love to find something that looks like 9 or 10inch Diameter compact disc? I have a cd die box, need to make a large one for stage, any ideas. pm me please. I do have a 12 inch laser disc, a bit too large.
What about a 10" 78 record (there are also a few 33.3 10" LPs out there too) covered with mylar?

cheers
Why not cut down a laser disc to the size you want?

A Dremel tool might take some time to do the job but can do it without shattering the disc
Why not just go to a plastics shop and have them cut you a 10" disk with a porportional hole in the center out of plexy and spray it any color you want??

Good luck and let us know how you solve your puzzle.

-=tabman
The size of the CD was determined by how long a long piece of classical music is, so these symphonies would fit. (about 75 minutes)

I vote to cut down, the laser disk, take it to a machine shop It will appear much the same as a CD
[quote]
On 2009-07-01 13:32, jay leslie wrote:
...take it to a machine shop It will appear much the same as a CD
[/quote]

Yes, absolutely. And probably the best and most expensive option but trying to do it neatly with a hand held Dremel tool would be tough.

Do you have a band saw?

-=tabman
Hello Wally:

What about this?

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=10903

Ron
There are router like attachments for dremel tools that allow for a perfectly smooth and perfect edge. The advantage of a dremel tool in many applications is that it rotates at such a high speed, that it doesn't require much torque... often allowing you do drill or cut in things that might otherwise shatter or crack .
You could go to a sheet metal shop and they could cut you a disc on a ring and circle shear and then put mylar film on it. Or take a piece of pressboard and make it and cover it with mylar.

Richard
Thanks guys, you gave me some constructive ideas. Ron, I may even buy these chinese disc.
If you have a bandsaw, make a circle cutting jig. You don't even need a good one. Just attach a spindle to the proper location on the bandsaw table.