(Close Window)
Topic: Good close up case
I don't know if anybody has written this up before, but I was in an arts & crafts store and it occurred to me that an artist's box designed to hold oil paints and brushes would make a nice close-up case. It's perfectly float which means that it would make a nice base for a close up mat, and it has compartments inside. It's too narrow to hold cups, but with a little glue and some felt, it would make a great case for about $20.
I agree. Last time I was in an art store, I looked at the art cases and thought the same thing. They had lots of styles and sizes and would work great for a small close-up show.
Check the Makeup cases at Target or Walmart! These are the alum. cases that look like the ones on CSI and they vary in size and quality! I got a very nice one a couple years ago for around 35!

MMc
I use a old PSP case. Cheap many little compartments. looks like a mini professional briefcase.
Find a Harbor Freight Tools near you. They sell nice aluminum tool cases with a padded interior, dividers, and even comes a customizable block of foam for inside. Cheap too!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39196

Small: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36870

Larger props: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36871
If you don't have a Harbor Freight near you try Home Depot. They have one as well and it is about $30.

TC
Wow thanks, I'm goona have to make a trip to home depot
I love these kind of cases...they are perfect for close up props
I have one of the aluminum cases from HomeDepot and I just recently used it as my carry-on on a flight. No problems from airport security. They actually started laughing when I had to open it and they saw my inflatable bikini duck! Hey, come on guy's it's used for a kids show!
For something you'd be willing to take to a table as opposed to just carring to the gig check out a good smoke shop. Cigars come in some very nice wood boxes.

Also there is this wine gift box:

http://www.solutions.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=4560
There is another case that home depot and lowe's sometimes carry it is in the hardware department and it is silver with foam compartments that are removeable. Not a case that is terribly small, but holds more if you are doing a larger set.
[quote]
On 2010-02-09 23:39, RodHousley wrote:
There is another case that home depot and lowe's sometimes carry it is in the hardware department and it is silver with foam compartments that are removeable. Not a case that is terribly small, but holds more if you are doing a larger set.
[/quote]
I use one of these...I was surprised to see it for only $26. The built in compartments are nice and a flap at the top (meant for tools) holds pens, balls for my C&B routine, and wands...and the insert comes out so that I can store a few larger items like my Jap Box and spare rope in the lid. I believe Michael Ammar was using the same thing when I saw him lecture recently, so if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
Oh, and the best part...it has locks. When I get around kids, they get very excited to see magic props, so when I walk away it's nice to know my stuff isn't going to, ahem, disappear....
I use a poker set case where the top half was padded. I tore out the chips holder section and glued in table hopper close up pad. perfect size for the case. have used it for almost 2 years now.. its perfect!
Office Depot has a nice little case that you can carry C&Bs, Chop Cup, etc. in the file case section. It only costs $20 and is black and aluminum on all the edges. It also has a handle on the top center. Nice looking little case in my opinion.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Apr 30, 2010 10:35AM)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=349020&forum=32
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Apr 30, 2010 10:48AM)
I use a pencil box for my thread and waxes. Plus one for a bunch of miscelanious small things that I use on a regular basis so its easy to get my material for the day. For the church trip I am going to today I just grabed that and loaded it into my suitcase after removing a few things I didn't need and I was done.
I just pared down my big leather satchel to a sony cam corder case and am thrilled with it.. a camcorder case might be a bit more masculine than a purse or anythng like that .. it has a movable wall in side.. and three outside pockets with one more that holds my wallet.
I am surprisingly pleased with this solution.. it has caused me to carry less

MARTY
Dr. Jaks had a nice method by I forget what it was. Was it a hollowed out book? And very interesting tasteful small props. I feel like I might have early dementia sometimes. I just remember reading about and admiring Dr. Jaks.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Dec 20, 2010 02:09PM)
I use an old cigar box for the cork balls I use for my cups.
I use the silver case form Lowe's and love it.
I loved it even more after I went to lecture by Michael Ammar and
saw he has the same case!
[quote]
On 2010-05-14 01:08, foolsnobody wrote:
Dr. Jaks had a nice method by I forget what it was. Was it a hollowed out book? And very interesting tasteful small props. I feel like I might have early dementia sometimes. I just remember reading about and admiring Dr. Jaks.
[/quote]

There was a book type close-up case made some years ago. It was like an un-abridged dictionary. I think Magic Methods had them made for the society. It could hold a set of cups and balls and several decks and all kinds of close-up magic tricks.
It was a real book binding and about 3" think.

I purchased one and found it very hard to carry around with no handle of any type and when presenting, it took a lot of room on a table. I thought it was a great idea until you actually started using it. Kind of a pain to deal with when moving from table to table.
The book that was supposed to be like the Jaks book was not very close to it at all. There were a lot of interesting things about that book that they weren't able to copy. I have seen the real one. It is in the Klosterman collection.
This little case works great!
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_431.jpg