(Close Window)
Topic: Abbotts 72nd Magic Get Together Aug 5-8
This is Abbott Magic 75th Diamond Anniversary, but due to wars and such only the 72nd Get Together.

Below is the traditional Abbott schedule for the 72nd Get Together,For a more complete schedule of all the magic events in Colon (Golf Tournys, Pool Tournys, Magic Museums, SOC Events, Fab Events, Busking Contests, etc) check out the urls below.

http://www.abbottmagic.com/schedule/index.htm
http://www.topsmag.com/schedule/index.htm
http://www.colonmi.com/schedule.html

WEDNESDAY AUGUST 5TH

9:00 AM Registration at the Abbott Magic Plant
10:00 AM Showroom opens at the Colon Elementary School
3:00 PM Lecture Marty & Brenda Hahne - 7 Keys to a good kids show
8:00 PM Stage Show - Keith Stickley, MC - Aaron & Denise Gillam - BJ Mallen - Duane & Mary laflin Illusion Show

THURSDAY AUGUST 6TH

9:30 AM Lecture Ardan James - Magic & Motion Physical Illusions
l0:00 AM Showroom opens at the Colon Elementary School
11:00 AM Vent-O-Rama with George Schindler at the Abbott Plant
12:00 PM Ladies Party at the Methodist Church
(Light refreshments will be served)
1:00 PM Lecture David Seebach - So you want to be an illusionist
2:30 PM (After Lecture) Dealers on Parade at the Elementary School
3:30 PM Famous Magicians Cemetery Tour with Al the Only
8 PM Stage Show - Greg Otto, MC - Marty & Brenda Hahne - The Reed Sisters - David Merry - Yoshihito Wada

FRIDAY AUGUST 7TH

9:00 AM Magic Ministers Session with Duane Laflin at the Methodist Church
9:00 AM Colon Arts & Craft Fair until 5:00 PM
10:00 AM Show Room Open at the Colon Elementary School
10:00 AM Stage Talent Contest at the Colon High School
11:00 AM Vent-O-Rama with George Schindler at the Abbott Magic Plant
1:00 PM Lecture Greg Otto - Comedy Magic
2:30 PM The Close Up Show - Stephen Bargatze - Obie Obrien - Chaz King/Charlie Davis - Tim Wright (Skilldini)
8:00 PM Stage Show - David Kaplan, MC - Stoil & Ekaterina - Tim Wright (Skilldini) - The Fred Becker Illusion Show
Colon Fireworks outside the High School after the show

SATURDAY AUGUST 8TH

9:00 AM Arts & Craft Fair until 5:00 PM
9:30 AM Lecture David Kaplan - Tips, Tricks, & Stunts
10:00 AM Showroom opens at the Colon Elementary School
11:00 AM Lecture Stephen Bargatze - Magic for Everyone
2:00 PM Benefit Matinee - The Abbott Stage Crew Show Featuring Mark Holstein, MC - Richard Hughes - Jim Fitzsimmons - Jeff Boyer - The Amazing Kidwell - Mark and Sue Holstein - Chezaday - Contest Winner
8:00 PM Stage Show - Stephen Bargatze, MC - Sarlot & Eyed - Ardan James - Amos Levkovitch
Award Presentations after Stage Show
Auction in Dealers Room after Awards

For complete Get Together coverage, past and present check out http://www.magicgettogether.com.

If you are a golfer and want more info on the 20th Colon Open check out http://www.magicgettogether.com/golf.html

See you in August
Hey, looks like I'm the contest winner on the Matinee show .. cool!

Steve
The latest July issue of The Newest TOPS is also now posted at the Abbott's web site. Great stuff!
Probably shouldn't leak this till its final but Hank Moorehouse and Greg Bordner are negotiating for another Abbott lecture with none other than Franz Harary for the Get Together. I'll keep you posted, its not for sure but the negotiations and scheduling are proceeding and should be complete in a day or so.
That is great news. It seems to me that this year should be a great "Magic Week"- both Abbott's and FAB seem to be going all out. I have gone to Abbott's the last six years or so, then a bunch many years ago, and there is a clear air of excitement and expectancy for this summer's week that I have not seen before. Really looking forward to it, I'd encourage people to check out Abbott's Get-Together this year- will be well worth the effort. Looks like you'll have personal opportunities to perform as well informally at FAB, or in contests at Abbott's, as well as seeing lots of great shows, lectures and dealers. Fired Up!
By the way, Franz Harary is on the COVER of the August, 2009 Genii magazine, and his DVD was featured as part of the magazine this month (came with it)- you can watch this Harary DVD that came with Genii for a chance to win a free illusion from Creative Magic. http://www.franzhararyproductions.com There is a whopping 16 page color article (largest I can ever recall seeing there on one magician)on Franz in Genii this month, an incredible illusion show.
Roger, even the post office is getting involved, it has a Magic Postmark (approved by the Govt) for Aug 5-8 so any mail sent through Colon those days will have the "Magic Capital" stamp with a rabbit and hat. This is the first year the Post Office has done this.
Wow! I intend to mail out all my bills through Colon, maybe they will disappear!
Hopefully not multiply, of course there is also the repeating bill which shows up every month and the inexhaustible bill which never goes down.
Color changing bill, goes from black to red without cover of any kind.
Franz will be on after the David Seebach lecture on Thursday, I will update the schedules sometime today but its official now.
WOW! Picture of Franz in Colon years ago in Genii, along with a picture of him floating Michael Jackson. The DVD that came with this month's Genii of Franz is outstanding. All part of the Ann Arbor connection from the seventies: Jeff W., Hank Moorehouse, Franz, and even Penguin Magic. (I also graduated from UM in 1975, loved Hank's upstairs shop). Dennis Loomis used to live in Kalamazoo back then too, not to mention all those passing through Colon, working there (Duke, Tim Wright, Tom M., etc.) and the American Museum of Magic in Marshall. The SW Michigan is Magic! By the way, if going to Colon for the first time and you have wheels, you may want to take a tour of the Museum above- they have a lot of Jay Marshall's items.
Great points Roger! Also our little museum here in Colon has some terrific items....original Blackstone memorabilia, Monk Watson stuff, Percy Abbott's original vent figure - Joey - is also on display..heck if you talk Linda Abbott into it she might even share the routine - it's hilarious stuff! All kinds of neat stuff magic wise...best kept secret in Colon.
Oh No!

Franz called and had to cancel, seems he had an appointment with his lawyer in CA. that he overlooked. He wanted to reschedule for Friday or Saturday but the stage is booked solid those days with other magic events. We're trying to set something up for Wednesday but it is at best doubtful.
But but but... *sigh* that's unfortunate. I hope it works out for Wednesday.
Franz is back on, he moved his lawyer appointment and will be on Thursday after David Seebach.

My apologies for any confusion.
WOW- that is great news. Another reason to check out Colon this year. I watched the DVD of Franz that came with this month's Genii Magazine--- super WOW, VERY impressive. I did not have any clue how our former Michiganian was such a world traveler now. I really liked his "style" on the DVDs too- seemed very "real" and approachable. Just great stuff. The floating urn he did in the one foreign shop was amazing. He could be one of the most well known illusionists in the entire world now- very comparable to Cooperfield, etc.. I'm bringing my Genii to get the cover signed for sure...

Seebach by the way is writing for the free The Newest TOPS online magazine, available through the Abbott's web site. I am very fortunate to live a driveable distance from Colon, can even work at my office during the day and still make it to all the evening shows and some of the lectures. If you have some money to spend for dinner, I recommend Riverlake Inn in Colon, best $11.95 complete broasted chicken dinner out there (with salad bar, potato, etc.). Screwy location, good food, with hummingbirds everywhere.
He's there .. he's not there. Don't tease me like this ...

Steve
Couple new items related to the Get Together at http://www.colonmi.com

You can listen to the WJR radio ad on magic week by the Colon Chamber of Commerce, look at the bottom of the Magic Week schedule at http://www.colonmi.com

Also, nows your chance to become permanent part of the newly constructed community park. Buy a brick with the names of you or your loved ones. It will be placed in the pavilion courtyard by the flagpole. Buy a brick and become a part of Colonís History!

The application can also be found at the bottom of the Magic Week schedule at http://www.colonmi.com
My wife enjoyed Stephen Bargatze and the Saturday show the best, the skit with Wilma was also her favorite.

I enjoyed the David Seebach lecture the best, although to be honest my favorite thing to do is buy magic in the dealers room. Both Abbotts and Fab had some good illusions and second hand props along with their usual inventory so that made it nice for me.

My 5 yr old son was most impressed with Sterlini's Magic Shop display which had a laser and the monster inc characters in the window (Sterlini hopes to be open for next years Get together). He also enjoyed the Fireworks which were awesome as usual.
Excellent lectures and evening shows! It was nice to get the perspective of the comics, as well as the illusionists. I was especially surprised at Greg Otto's lecture, hadn't hard much about him before - it gave me a perspective that I can really use right now.

I even picked up my second Abbott's Chair Suspension, to use as a backup, at a bargain price.
Thanks! It was my first lecture and I learned a lot!

GREG
OTTO
Stephen Bargatze,Ardan James and Greg Otto had to be my favorite acts
Eli was mine.
I had a great time in Colon...Great Magic and Great Friends...
James
Eli ?
My son Eli came in first place.
Sorry-missed the contest.
There was a young performer in the contest that rocked the house...His manip act was great...He is going to have a bright future in magic...I think his name was Chase...If anyone has a video of his act...please post it...

Great work Eli...1st place win...Keep up the good work!!!

James
Chase did a good job and his nervousness will pass with more contests. I thought the contest was one of the better ones in recent years.

Richard
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 22:10, hugmagic wrote:
Chase did a good job and his nervousness will pass with more contests. I thought the contest was one of the better ones in recent years.

Richard
[/quote]

My wife thought so too .
Had a great time! I'll be back...great contest looking forward to trying again next year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKalU2xDLWE

I didn't realize the show was so dangerous!
Quoting Franz, "It was my proudest moment at Abbotts".
Best $10 matinee show of all time. Really enjoyed it, entertaining with very different non-competing acts. I thought it was cool when he gave out Twinkies to the kids who assisted him during the show, but it was an absolute hoot when the "in the know" magicians present pelted him with Twinkies at the end of the program to his surprise. One very funny moment at Abbott's. Made me hungry though... Good think he doesn't give out lightbulbs during the show...
MagicBus,

Glad you enjoyed the show. I was very proud of my team. They are the hardest working and most skilled stage crew around. As you saw, it's because they are all skilled performers. They know what it's like to be up there, and work twice as hard to support our guests on that stage. The irony is that if the guys do their backstage job right (as they do), no one knows they are there. So, it was great to give them an opportunity to be in the spotlight.

Now...why were you hungry. There were $120 worth of Twinkies all over the auditorium!