(Close Window)
Topic: Help with telephone gag..
Hi all, I was thinking about putting a telephone gag in my kids show. I was thinking maybe have my mom call me and we have a funny discussion (Just me talking, no audio of mom). What might some funny questions be that she might ask and I answer to make the kids laugh?

I'll start... Hi mom, ya I'm right in the middle of a magic show, ya I brushed my teeth and changed my underwear etc... Any off the cuff ideas?

Thanks..Mike
Have "mom" give you instructions on how you should be doing the trick you were about to show them. You want to do it your way, but her way always turns out to be the correct way, as the kids are quick to point out. It's a variation on "magician can't see what is happening."
Hold the phone up and have everyone say hi to your mom. It's simple but the kids love it.
I don't use the phone gag anymore because some people thought it wasn't part of the show, and it looked unprofessional to be answering calls while performing.

But when I did do the gag, I use to say it was Barney the Dinosaur on the line, and I asked him for my tenor back.
Other times, it was La La from the teletubbies, and I said Tinky Winky should change his name to Stinky-winky. That got a laugh.

Steve
I use it but don't use a phone. I can be part of professors nightmare...as the ropes become equal the phone rings...

One end of the ropes to my ear..one becomes the mouth piece

Another "phone" is a banana..that has gone through the stages of green, yellow, brown and now it is "shrunken, black and petrifidish"

I talk to my wife...

Shopping ...how the show is going on so far....call backs/running from earlier in that specific show...

Close to the end of the conversation, my wife says she loves me ...which I repeat...and then say quietly..the mushy kind..."

then my wife expects me to say it back...eventually I do after blushing...etc...

If you are a vent use muffled voice..(or distant if you prefer)

Harris
Mom could ask you to do various chores, which you repeat. Some of the chores you talk about can be absurd.

Or you could get into trouble for fighting with your sibling, stealing cookies, not telling the truth, not doing your homework, etc. Again, take the story to an absurd level.

- Donald
You could discover it was someone else's "mom".
1. Mother of someone in the audience.
2. Mother of someone famous locally
3. Mother of someone famous on TV
4. My mother the car
5. from there if you are using a phone..you could go to alphabet card to phone...
I used to use a toy cel phone (that 'rang' loud enough to hear) and have a slightly different dialog in front of the birthday kid, mid-show:

"Hello ... yes ... yes SIR, Mister President!" (aside: "It's President [fill-in-current-President's-name]") "What, Jimmy? (Birthday kid's name) I'm sorry, he can't come to the phone, he's having his birthday party. Yes, I'll tell him ... thank you, Mister President." (hang up) (To birthday kid:) "That was the President, he called to wish you happy birthday. I told him you were busy, butr asn't that nice?"
When I did the banana gag, I always acted like I couldn't hear the person calling and then would realize that I was talking into the wrong end of the banana and turn it over.
Soma has some great visual gags you can 'borrow' from his act:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jucxw56RDik
Hey thanks to all... Some great stuff and got my mental juices flowing... The reason I'm thinking of adding this is I found an old phone prop. It's actually pretty cool. It has a black phone like a real phone would look like and it's attached to a spring cord that you pin on your belt. On the back side of your belt you can clip a ringer. When you push a button it makes a phone "Ring..Ring" sound like in the olden days. It's an acutal bell inside a red box and is run by batteries. I think it is probablly about 30 yrs old. Like I said pretty cool..

Anybody ever use one of these before?