(Close Window)
Topic: Ceramic lota bowl or jar
Hi there
Somebody posted here recently saying they had seen a lot of these items about for bizarrists, but I seem unable to find any of them! I live in the UK, can anyone help me out here and give the name of a possible supplier
Good luck with your search. I have seen them on-line, but that was some years ago. As an alternative, I have an e-Book in my Mini-Mysteries Section (on my site) called "Rice Bowls - Past and Present" which shows a new method for the Rice Bbowl (made from any pottery bowl - no gimmicked bowl) and it also describes how to use the principle to turn any pottery bowl or vase into a Lota Bowl. This frees you up to just finding a nice bowl you like in an antique shop or modern pottery shop, and then using the principles described to perform with it as a Lota Bowl. The advantage to the method is that each pour of liquid is the same amount (not less and less as with a mechanical bowl), and each pour can even be a different liquid, like milk, or beer, or coffee, etc. If you can't find what you are looking for, this might be a possible solution for you.
You definitely need to get in contact with Martin Duffy. Tell him I sent ya, I just got friended on Facebook. I am lusting after these myself because I have something I want to do.

http://www.dragonskull.co.uk/lota_pots.htm
Tom Crecelius makes some nice ones like the below:
http://secure.netsolhost.com/603583.615766/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ND&Product_Code=MLP&Category_Code=MPARS

Lots of other stuff for us guys, too.
http://abracadabra.co.uk/, has lota bowls...go to the tricks section...
I saw your ad in the Wanted section of Magic Week... Unfortunately, I have one but love it so much I can't let it go :(

I'd have to second the recommendation for Martin Duffy's Lota Pot. It's an amazing piece of artwork and gets a really good reaction at the end when I do a version of the Dream Jar.

I wrap it in a piece of "old" sackcloth wrapped in aged string and when I open it up, you get a real sense of antiquity with it.

I scrimped and saved to get this beauty from http://www.martinbreese.com/trickpages/lota.htm - £55 well worth it in my opinion. I keep mine on display with some of my other "props" as it's a beauty.

I've attached a pic of my version - similar to the one in the web page.

Cheers,
Matt
I second the Martin Duffy recommendation too.
Billy, the photo reminds me of something :)

[img]http://www.surnateum.org/English/surnateum/contes/ericbig.jpg[/img]
Aye Curator - lippincott box, coins, lota pot - they're all there. I don't usually use the Jap coin for the pot though - it's quite large and can get wedged in there occasionally thus denting the performance.

I use a nice brass bowl on a wooden stand to pour the water into (my car boot sale bargain for £1.50!!!!), it's usually full of burnt billets / envelopes before I do this though.

Is that a cork lid you have there also?

Can't think what the dragon would be used for though - or is that for effect? :) :)
No, the Dragon is just an automaton from my collection.
The drawing was made by my friend Eric (to which the story is dedicated)
I use a old cork lid and the lota pot is wrapped in a very old large lady's purse (not on the photo).
Sir Curator,
I really appreciate your display of magic and art.
I am now placing an order for the Martin Duffy Lota Pot.

Eric
I also have the Martin Duffy Lota Pot and like it a lot. I use it for a different routine but would also like to get a lippincott box for the obvious reason. Any recommendations and sources from those who have one? I notice the ones in your pictures are quite different.

Sorry to distract your thread with this question lozey :)

s
That's ok Stuart.:D

I managed to get a lota pot and also a lippincott box. Im thinking of converting my 'Totem' effect to use the pot
Duffy's POT is the top of the food chain. Terrific piece!!!!!!
Thanks Doug, Stuart, Clifford, and The Curator

From your reviews I made the decision to buy Duffy's POT.
This is definitely one of my favorite props.

Great price and swift delivery to boot.
Oh, but I love that dragon, Curator! It is very dream-like -- almost like something from Mirror Mask.

Regarding the Lippincott box, Paul Diamond has one for sale every once-in-a-while. I have two; each I use in a separate routine. I had no idea they were hard to find.

I do wish I had a Duffy lota.

Bill
I own one of Martin's pots also, looks so natural, I feel like its real magic.

P.
Thanks for all the positive feedback on the Lota Pot!

I no longer sell the Lota Pot direct - I supply Martin Breese with them now

See his site here http://abracadabra.co.uk

I do however have two of the Yemeya (Goddess of Water) design - see pic attached

My new email address is martin@martinduffy.com
Does anyone know if these clay lota pots are still created/sold? I clicked the link and it says out of stock and I have not tried e-mailing yet. Thanks in advance.

Jon
Contact the man above your post!
Yeah, I guess I will have to. I just didn't want to bug him personally since he said he wasn't selling directly anymore.
I third the Martin Duffy recommendation tooo.
its really good.

I wanna ask does anyone got any good "Dove Pan" for bizarrists?
actually I want a pro that can contain liquid and can change something like "Dove pan"
or I should opena a new topic~

Best,
W.D.
Ok, I received mine today! Mine isn't as striking as the one in the photo above, but I am happy with my purchase nonetheless. Took awhile for them to be made but once the Martin Breese company got their stock it was shipped immediately and arrived quick. Works like a charm and the supplied routines are wonderful. I will be using mine for the purpose of telling some local Native American history and the first routine gave me great ideas to pull from. I can't wait to put it into action this summer.
Recently got a flyer from Martin Breeze and he claims to have several ceramic Lotta pots available.

Kotah
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jun 6, 2012 12:55AM)
Tom Crecelius makes some great ones too!
Their site is under construction, so give Tom a call.
He hand makes amazing pottery Lota Vases and Bowls,
he not only has several sizes, from coffee mug to large,
he’s do custom work with design, style, color, size.

His Lota inspired one of my favorite presentations,
and it’s in “Tales of Enchantment” with a photo of mine.
Tom’s a great guy and his prices are very fair too.

TOM & KATIE CRECELIUS
Phone: (812)633-7875 or Toll Free (877)546-1646
NINE DRAGON POTTERY
102 MARGARET STREET
MILLTOWN, INDIANA 47145

Magically, Walt
Hi all, I have never owned or used a lota pot/jar in performances, but they do seem like a wonderful piece to add to my routines.

Please forgive me if you find this question too intrusive, but I would just like to know if a lota pot/jar can be examined by a spectator? without of course tipping its innner workings etc.

regards,
M.I.
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 02:20, Mind illusionist wrote:

Please forgive me if you find this question too intrusive, but I would just like to know if a lota pot/jar can be examined by a spectator? without of course tipping its innner workings etc.
[/quote]

Not really, as it has some evident holes... But why should it be examined???
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 07:04, MPMagic wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Not really, as it has some evident holes... But why should it be examined???
[/quote]
Great answer.

A magician need's to be trusted, that's why it's not good to give an image of a trickster!
;)
I know the saying, don't run when your not being chased. and while I certainly wont ask spectators to examine it or hand it out to them for inspection, I might be doing an intimate small group or parlour show, and I just like to know if something can be examined or not, should that happen.

for stage this wouldnt be an issue of course.

Thank you kindly for answering my question anyhow. regards,

M.I.
[quote]
Hi all, I have never owned or used a lota pot...
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing! :)
Lol Gary, I don't see you adding useful information here!! :P
They look great,get you one! And,don't give stuff out to be examined! (Kinda Rookie Moves) :)
I would put a knife in the heart of anyone foolish enough to touch a sacred item. Are you doing a magic show with toy props or conducting a proper ritual.
I'm not familiar with lota bowls or pots. Can you show these to be empty and have them magically fill with water?

The pots look great and they're uk made, great for me, but is there a maker of lota bowls in the uk too?
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 19:04, Roslyn wrote:
I'm not familiar with lota bowls or pots. Can you show these to be empty and have them magically fill with water?

The pots look great and they're uk made, great for me, but is there a maker of lota bowls in the uk too?
[/quote]

Yes; water, wine....perhaps blood. A coin or coins....sand from the Nile. bones for a casting....dice

A good potter can make anything you might wish......if you know its secrets
And is this also the bowl you empty out, and it keeps refilling over and over?

If it isn't, what would that trick be?
Yes, that is its intended use I suppose but why limit it to just that? Why not start out with a completely dry vessel full of bones? Produce some Egyptian coins and perhaps the sands of the Nile and then end with the Pharaohs blood for grins?

OR, my shamanistic friend some bones and feathers, beads and a drink of mescal for each guest?

Pirate grog perhaps.......
Wine from water, fishes and bread for the hungry masses.....yes, its been done but its still talked about
Hey RCP,did you get yours from Indiana?

~G
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 20:15, Godzilla wrote:
Hey RCP,did you get yours from Indiana?

~G
[/quote]

I have a number of them. The Martin Duffy is the best of the off the shelf ones. Indiana is certainly good if you know what you are looking for. Stevens ME has an interesting new one, more of a pitcher design.

If you can find a good local potter and know what you are looking for that's the best option. A cheap plastic one and some paint can work.......

A little magicians w!%, a t%^*$ T!@ and the ability to p)*& a C*%$ can create a miracle.
Thank you Sir!

I am close to Louiseville too! Or,maybe the one maker is in Lexington KY.
I have to recheck that!

Gary
Thanks RCP :)
Gary, I have two that are identical. The first starts out with an eagle’s feather, produces bones, beads, sands and eventually blood. The feather moves from the pain of the Apache blood and tears. A switch and we toast their lives with mescal produced from apparently the same earthen vessel that earlier had produced blood

C
Thanks for the twin,suggestion! :)

Gary
The miracles are easier after the mescal ;)
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jun 7, 2012 12:27PM)
RCP Great posts, ideas, advice!

My two-cents, the Lota is a fantastic classic prop, and can be used for a large stage, parlor, even close-up with a little careful handling and some audience control.

They are made in a huge array of materials, sizes, shapes. Tom’s (see my earlier post) can be almost anything. I know he stocks the mugs, and small/large vases.

Your imagination sets the limits, as RPC says. This is an “old” prop that not too many are using these days, so it can set you apart.

Then again, done in a rote, boring way, without creativity, it can be a dud too.

Magically, Walt
Thanks Walt. Does your friend make the ones Steven's is selling?
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Jun 7, 2012 01:14PM)
I don't think so, they are similar though, but I think nicer. I can send you a photo of mine if you'd like, it was custom with an imp face in relief on it. Tom prices by size and intricacy. Walt
Thank you for the advice Walt, perhaps I should leave this one for the few who are performing miracles with it already.

But who knows what the future holds someday...

regards,
M.I.
I tried out my clay lota with my kids that I teach today. Even without fleshing out much of a story I got some great reactions from the kids and the two adults in the room. Kind of funny actually. I can't wait to actually put together a more meaningful/impactful story for what I plan to do this summer and get a little creative to really bring this up a notch and see the reactions then. Definitely lends itself well to storytelling magic.

Thanks for the ideas by the way RCP. Has me thinking a bit more about what can be done. I would be curious to know how you comfortably use the TT with your lota.
[quote]
On 2012-06-08 18:58, Jon W. wrote:
I tried out my clay lota with my kids that I teach today. Even without fleshing out much of a story I got some great reactions from the kids and the two adults in the room. Kind of funny actually. I can't wait to actually put together a more meaningful/impactful story for what I plan to do this summer and get a little creative to really bring this up a notch and see the reactions then. Definitely lends itself well to storytelling magic.

Thanks for the ideas by the way RCP. Has me thinking a bit more about what can be done. I would be curious to know how you comfortably use the TT with your lota.
[/quote]

I don't use it the entire routine. Props are moved back and forth from a Hobbs box. TT is stolen from box to provide a load for opposite hand.
Thanks for the insight RCP. I have been thinking much more about possible scenarios since your post. I wonder if a blood capsule stuck to the inside could be useful too as a load at some point(Is saying this type of thing ok in the public forum?).
If in doubt Jon, stop and head to the Crypt.
Thanks Roslyn, I think that is sound advice. I will go in the Crypt here in a bit and start a Lota thread for anyone who might be interested.
Hello fellow Magi, Yes, the Stevens Magic Emporium has had me make several of the blue pitchers for them specifically. The older, worn, look like Martin has... yes, I can make that as well. Martin and I have talked, we are friends. If you are in the UK..... get it from Martin and save the shipping overseas. If you are in the USA..... just write or call and ask me. I am making some special pots now. Old, rustic pots are easily done as well. I use one of my mugs in an 1850's setting of colonial Kentucky.... telling my story of Squire Boone. Just tell me what you wish for, friends. I love a challenge....
Tom
Hi Tom, I sent you a PM...I have a challenge! :)

Gary
Lozey seems to have disappeared! No way to PM her either. I was going to suggest going here and contacting Tom:

http://www.ninedragonpottery.com/About_Us.html

I found a picture of one of Nine Dragon's Lota Pitchers (see below...never mind...it won't "take"). Oh well...I tried!

Doug
Hey Doug,

I managed to get hold of an original Tomich lota pot, in the plain design. Its a lovely prop. I am thinking of selling it though, but will make sure the guys here get first refusal if I do

I havent 'dissapeared', Im just occassionally loitering in the background. I had to turn off my PM message facility after I started to recieve hate messages, so sorry about that. If you post your email up here, we can chat that way
Lozey, [b][i]hate messages?[/b][/i] In the Café?? Hard to imagine. I cannot think of ANY reason someone would do that here. Did you report them? Glad you're OK. And, you were looking for a Lota, and you found one, and now you want to [b][i]sell[/b][/i] it? I guess I'm con-fooosed! :) Tom at the link above is the guy I'm going to. I have to save some $$$, though... :rolleyes:

Doug
The 'looking for post' was a loooong time ago. Since then I have moved away from, magic. Its a lovely, lovely prop, but nowadays I don't want to look at props anymore. Too many bad memories when I see things like that on my shelf, and its a shame for me to consign it to the attic, when it deserves to be used

With regards to the messages, yes I reported it, probably better off not talked about publically. Like I said, post your email or email me on lauren@ravenmagic.co.uk
Tom made a lota jar for me with an Egyptian ankh inscribed. It provided five days of
water ( five pours) from Jacobs Well in my routine based on the geographical location of the well, which
exists even today. Tom's work is unusually beautiful. Superb !
Yeah, Tom is going to make mine. I haven't decided what I want yet. Come October, I'm probably going to ask him for his advice on what kind of L0t@ Pitcher, based on L*n@, and the other O*tl@w items! :)

Doug
Ya know, thinking about it, is a ceramic L0t@ pitcher safe to drink out of? In other words, the inside of the thing is uncoated, so anything other than water...do you see where I'm going? Just wondering.

Doug
You cant really scrub out the inside workings of a lota pot (although you could try a rinse out with Milton) so its not particularly safe, saying that I do drink from it in my sideshow routine (but I also eat a lightbulb and razorblades, so I consider the risk negligable)
[quote]
On 2012-08-25 18:09, lozey wrote:
(but I also eat a lightbulb and razorblades, so I consider the risk negligable)
[/quote]

:wow: I hope you've cleared that all out, by the time your boyfriend kisses ya! I can think of other...NO. I'm not going THERE in the Café...nope. My Thai girlfriend liked those tiny hot peppers from her country. She'd kiss me and send me into flames! Ha! :)

Doug
Well I havent had any complaints yet, but then again I don't do the routine regularly

LOL @ the peppers. I LOVE garlic salt, but one of my exs hated it....
I am thinking of having a master potter make me a Lota Pitcher...how would I best describe what I need him to do? There aren't any "instructions" available for potters are there?
Tom knows how to make the basic Lota Pitcher. It's the design, color, etc...that's what we have to decide.

Doug
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 01:55, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Tom Crecelius makes some great ones too!
Their site is under construction, so give Tom a call.
He hand makes amazing pottery Lota Vases and Bowls,
he not only has several sizes, from coffee mug to large,
he’s do custom work with design, style, color, size.

His Lota inspired one of my favorite presentations,

TOM & KATIE CRECELIUS
Phone: (812)633-7875 or Toll Free (877)546-1646
NINE DRAGON POTTERY
102 MARGARET STREET
MILLTOWN, INDIANA 47145

Magically, Walt
[/quote]
I have just unloaded the kiln of lota pots. I have two brown, shiny glaze mugs that are colonial style (same glaze as they used in Boston circa 1760), a small lota that is blue and only 3 inches tall..... and a very special one of a kind lota vessel that has three sculpted feathered turtles on the side.... just perfect for one whopper of a story. For those of you who have asked..... e-mail me and I will send photo. medimagic@cs.com
@ Dougini...... my lotas, mugs, pitchers, and vases are all glazed inside AND in the chamber as well. Safe to drink out of? I would recommend.... water, tea, perhaps whiskey... but stay away from acid liquids like orange juice, soft drinks, or any dairy product.... as they may sour. I have used mine for years and drink the water from it..... I have made vases, roman double handled vases, mugs, steins, viking horns, pitchers and teacups into lotas. I love to make unique one of a kind pieces to fit a person's needs.
@ Cunningham...... nope, no instructions for potters. I am an artist (watercolors) and potter as well as a magician so I am very familiar with what has to be done to make them. My own pottery professor told me that a potter could NOT make the pot as I make it...... bingo, a challenge...... and now I have my own method that works great.
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Sep 5, 2012 12:39AM)
From the post above the new game is:
"Let's try to stump Tom!"
(I don't think we can though...)

Seems like he's made everything but an ostrich egg into a Lota Vase…
can we find a bizarre story/project that will send him back to the drawing board?

I've seen (and owned) his magnificent pottery, it is art, not just craft.

Oh, and if anyone does the Benson Bowl routine.... Tom makes a version with a pottery Toad House and little toad sponges, cute and very story worthy.

Magically,
Walt

PS Tom! Get your website up again so you can show off photos of your work!
What kind of prices are we talking about, I know custom work commands a higher price.
Hey Tom!! Any chance you could post some pictures here? I for one would love to see them!!!
Michael.... that depends on what you want. A simple pottery small vase sells for 30 bucks..... but it is simple and no special things. Most of the pitchers I make sell for 125 and some as high as 200... depending on what you want. Need something affordable? Shoot me an e-mail or post and I will see what I can do.....
And the saying continues..... "I just wanna win the lotta".... :)
Tom,
sent ya post brother.
[quote]
On 2012-06-06 01:55, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
...His Lota inspired one of my favorite presentations,
[/quote]

The one pictured on pg 102...that's like the one I want. That'll take saving for a couple of months...

Doug
Tom,still in search of that sumptin,sumptin...we,talked about!
You said the lota is glazed inside and in the ***mber, does the out side of pot,have to be glazed also in the process ?
I think it would be more correct,not to have outside glazed,maybe just fired,as she was broken at end of ritual!

Not,breaking mine! :)

Gary
The glazing of the pot on the inside prevents the liquid from seeping through the microscopic pores in the clay, even though it has gone through vitrification in the firing. The pot does NOT have to be glazed on the outside......
I need to clarify my contact to any who is interested. "Nine Dragon Pottery" website is being re-constructed and is not functional presently. Contact can be made through me by e-mail "medimagic@cs.com" or by PM me here...... lotas custom made from pottery.
Hi all !

I am looking for one of these green glaze mini lota vase made by Tom Crecelius.
Does anyone have one for sale ?

Thanks !
BTW: anyone knows what happened to lozey (Lauren)?
She kinda vanished!