(Close Window)
Topic: Very Quick Hopping Half Question
I haven't performed hopping halves in a little while (I probably should dust it off) but I was wondering if the set I have (and it is a Johnson set) comes with an expanded shell?
It comes with a Tail one.

TC
Heads or tails really doesn't matter, I just want to get into more sleights with an expanded shell, a few half dollars and perhaps a copper/silver coin (yeah, I know those are gaffs as well, but a little less obvious.......
If you have a Johnson set, it should have an expanded Shell.
Yes it has a sh**l and it and the one that Johnson sells comes with a tales sh**l.
Don't know why but that is what they ship it with.

TC
Heads or Tails really doesn't matter, I was exploring some of the effects (and there are many) with an expanded shell....so it doesn't really matter to me heads or tails, but another question came up.....Can you see any reason why I may need a second shell (except for the fact of not misplacing an intricate part of hopping halves.
I commonly perform a John Born Translocation effect. If you plan to do this effect you may find a need.
I've never used a second shell, but I'm sure that if you were to look around David Neighbor's work, you'd find some routines. He seems to be the go to guy when it comes to exploiting all possibilities with a gaff.
It is possible to get the Johnson Hopping Half with a heads shell, the tails shell seems to be much more common, but I have seen Johnson ship them with a heads shell as well.
Johnson makes both, but the Tails Shell seems to be easier, thus more common. If you ask, you can usually get the Heads shell without a problem.
I asked Kathy at Johnson why the Hopping Halves come with a tails sh**l and she said that is just the way they have always done it. You can buy a heads one separately but the set does come with a tails sh**l.

TC
Condiser buying from one of the fantastic coin manufacturers out there and you can specify what coins you would like and whether you want head or tail for the gimmick. I've been ordering custom coin sets for a while now and find the more exoctic and or rare coins to be quite interesting for the spectators.
On the other hand, to 90% of spectators, an English Penny is pretty exotic. With Johnson, I can get a Walking Liberty set with an English Penny and that's two exotic coins. Exotic coins have one major weakness in a routine like this, though. People want to touch things that they haven't seen before, and they can't touch these coins.