(Close Window)
Topic: Gaughan origami
I have a great deal to acquire a second hand origami. I've seen a photo and it seems to be in great condition. The actual owner says he buyed it second hand 3 years ago and did some small repairs to leave it as new (put new casters, new velkros, new tape on folding panels, and put new vinyl on table's surface who was damaged by feet. It really seems like new except some little scratches on mirror according to seller who are not even noticed on photo. He says it's in perfect condition and only sells it because his wife/assistant has gained weight and doesn't fit.

But I've asked the seller the performing rights or any document to grant it's really a Gaughan's. He says he has no document, the original owner didn't gave him papers when he buyed it.

My question for the Café members owners of a gaughan's original origami is: according to the photo it seems to be an original origami. Is there any detail I can notice to know for sure it's an original one?

Thank you in advance.
Post the picture?
You might want to send an email to Johnny Gaughan to see if he will tell you what to look for to make sure it's an original.

Michael
Check with Taylor Reed, who is a Café regular. I think he has owned both a Gaughan and a Wellington, and he could tell you the differences AND how to tell whether they were originals.
We have a Gaughan. Post a photo. I can probably tell if it is or not.
If you want to send a photo to me at chris@stolzillusions.com I can get your answer.
Other than the original sales receipt there isn't much in documentation included with these illusions.

Sounds like a lot of cosmetic work has been done to this prop .. and that's when the red flags go up.

A photo is pretty telling .. let's see what we've got here.

Steve
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Jul 22, 2009 05:47PM)
New casters? That seems odd. The legs on a Gaughan prop are usually very sturdy.
Thank you guys for your quick responses.

I don't know if it is right to publish here a photo of an illusion that is not mine yet. Maybe I should ask the seller first, because the picture is his.
For now, take a while as I'll send a private email with a picture to those who kindly have answered me.

To comply with seller, I'll wait to publish here in public the photo he emailed me till he allows me.

Thanks again to everyone.
I bought a Gaughn Origami from Magic Auction several years ago. It still had his shipping label on it. The repairs seem normal. While the legs are strong, the casters are cheap. I've replaced my caster's, changed the plastic on the mirror because it cracked, and need to replace the vynyl. Send me a pic and I will confirm its authenticity.
Hello guys
Finally bought it. It's mine!!
Thank you very much to all who answered my messages
Congratulations. I'm envious...
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 13:47, Sorcerer wrote:
Hello guys
Finally bought it. It's mine!!
Thank you very much to all who answered my messages
[/quote]

Can we see a picture now that you own it?
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 15:50, illusionman2 wrote:

Can we see a picture now that you own it?
[/quote]

Sure :)

Here it is
LOVELY
Can I have it?!?!?! :P
I can confirm with quite a bit of certainty that it is infact a John Guaghan. If not, the builder must have had one to study and copy precisely!
Congratulations - It looks great, one of the best Illusions ever,stands the test of time.
Congratulations, very nice illusion!
Verry Nice! I wish I could have it!
One of the best illusions ever invented...