(Close Window)
Topic: What PS3 game are you currently playing?
Just wondering what you are all playing.
Mostly call of duty modern warfare, waiting for number 2 and gran turismo. You?
Ghostbusters!

I've already played it through once though.

I'm also playing Oblivion and Tiger Woods 10.

Waiting for Uncharted 2 in October!!

And God of war 3... Whenever they decide to release it. LOL
Motor Storm Pacific Drift.

Love that game!

Peace and love

Matt
Assasians Creed. Grand Theft Auto. (Yea I buy them way after they first come out)

That is when I can manage to get the Guitar Hero stuff unplugged from my wife using them!
Nhl 09, Tiger woods, and MLB
I don't think I've ever touched a PS3, but I've probably been in the same room as one.
Can you play Diablo II on PS3?
Gosh.. Diablo II. I still have that game installed on my desktop along with the original Diablo and the expansion pack!

But no. Sadly it is not available for the PS3. :)
Does anyone still play the original Doom anymore or is it just me?

Peace & Love

Matt
This will show you how old I am...I love playing Zork and play it for hours on end...just cannot get in the house..ha, ha.

How many remember Zork????
I know the name I think but never played the game.

Obviously you cant beat Pong!

Peace & Love

Matt
FEAR 2 started it many months ago, stopped, now back on it
Whose is up for some online play?
If we have an online play who will be the actors?
Midnight Club: LA and Fight Night Round 4
OK, I've publicly admitted my Diablo addiction. But I've promised my son a games console for this Christmas. Problem is, he's aiming for an Xbox. How do I convince him that PS3 is better? Any ideas?
Tell him to grow up. PS3 is the way of the future. best blue ray player on the market. It is a computer in itself. Xbox=kids, PS3=awesomeness

Have him research the "red ring of death" problem. Xbox knew it would happen and had to extend the warranty because of it. The console goes dead after while, then you send it back, which takes about a month... even longer if you live in some weird country in europe.
I've had mine for almost a year and no red ring yet. I'll probably get a PS3 some time soon if only for Kingdom Hearts 3 if nothing else! (That's why we got the PS2 after all!)
Ed, yours might have been made after they "fixed" the issue (which they knew all along would happen..)
I don't know about the whole 360 = kids thing.

But the pure fact of it is that the PS3 is clearly the better console.

Microsoft dropped the ball before the 360 even came out. I had a 360 for a few months when it first came out. I sold it when the PS3 hit the market. For a next gen system it seemed pretty last gen. The whole thing was badly designed. The huge brick for a power supply was just one thing.

Throw in the fact that the PS3 is still the best Blu-ray player on the market and there is no contest.

The only thing that I think sony screwed up on was the whole backwards compatibility thing. But I have a suspision that a firmware update and a downloadable catalog of PS2 games are lurking around the corner.

Microsoft's backwards compatibility was a joke too though. And it was one of the 360's greatest selling points. But I never was able to play Morrowind. They never got around to releasing the patch. Just a bad idea. They didn't bother telling you that you needed to download the patch to play the old games either. Sucked to be you if you didn't have an internet connection.

At least sony didn't lie about it.

V.
I don't get the whole "ground pawing" concept. Both systems have strengths and flaws. I like my 360, I'm certain I'll like my PS3 when I can pick one up at GameStop.
I finished "Drake: Uncharted Territory" several weeks ago. I very seldom play PS3 games even though I own a console. I played a lot more often in my early 30s, but began to lose interest as I got older. "Drake: Unchartered Territory" was a really good game -- great graphics, great A.I., good mix of puzzles and action, excellent voice-acting, etc..
[quote]
On 2009-08-08 00:57, ed rhodes wrote:
I don't get the whole "ground pawing" concept. Both systems have strengths and flaws. I like my 360, I'm certain I'll like my PS3 when I can pick one up at GameStop.
[/quote]

I'm sorry. As an owner of a 360 and a PS3, I can't really think of one thing the 360 has over the PS3. The 360 has a few exclusives... But not many and IMHO the PS3's exclusives are much better games anyway.

Just wait 'till you get one.

V.
[quote]
On 2009-08-08 10:38, Voldemort wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-08 00:57, ed rhodes wrote:
[/quote]

I'm sorry. As an owner of a 360 and a PS3, I can't really think of one thing the 360 has over the PS3. The 360 has a few exclusives... But not many and IMHO the PS3's exclusives are much better games anyway.

When it comes to hardware... No contest.

Just wait 'till you get one.

V.
[/quote]
Ok just got Rockband. I love it. Very addictive!
Modern Warfare.
Im all about modern warfare. have you had the problem with the "flying hack" recently in online games?
What's the media tie-ins on PS3? I've watched several Comi-Con shows not to mention "Red Dwarf" and "Star Trek."

I'm not arguing that the PS3 MIGHT be superior, it came out later. I'm just wondering exactly WHAT the superior aspects are to a PS3 in comparison to an XBox 360. Apparently my XBox was developed after they got rid of the "red ring of death" problem so that's not germaine for me.
Wow. Listen to the crickets!
Lately I have been going late night playing Fat Princess and Battlefield 1943. Both online downloadable games and both a blast for under 15 bucks
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 01:41, ed rhodes wrote:

I'm not arguing that the PS3 MIGHT be superior, it came out later. I'm just wondering exactly WHAT the superior aspects are to a PS3 in comparison to an XBox 360. Apparently my XBox was developed after they got rid of the "red ring of death" problem so that's not germaine for me.
[/quote]

There is an article in the September 2009 Game Informer Magazine(which is the worlds number one video game magazine) that talks about fail rates of the consoles. Here are their stats:

This is from a 5000 reader survey.

Console Failure Rate

Wii 6.8%
PS3 10.6%
XBOX360 54.2%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.

Wii 11%
PS3 14.7%
XBOX360 41.2%

Percantage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures

Wii 6%
PS3 12.4%
XBOX360 69.9%

Those numbers speak volumes about why my friends and I steer clear of 360's.
I was going to post that. great magazine.
[quote]
What's the media tie-ins on PS3? I've watched several Comi-Con shows not to mention "Red Dwarf" and "Star Trek."

[/quote]

I believe I've already put up a few reasons. Just read my other posts. That being said just read the post a few above this one. (I just got that issue of 'game informer' today). Those are a few more reasons.

I guess a few of the biggest things to me are simple ones. The first is Blu-ray, This is a big reason and also the reason that a lot of multi-platform games just don't have the graphics or content that PS3 exclusive titles have. Simply put the 360 holds them back. DVD limits what the developers can do and since most of them don't want to create two separate games, (One for 360 and one for PS3) The games are stuck at the lower level 360 standards.

Besides all that,

How about not having to spend $50 a year for online gaming?
No brick of a power supply?
Full HDTV 1080P compatibility with HDMI connectivity.
The best and cheapest Blu-ray player on the market?
Better customer support?
Fewer defects?
And on and on....

And lets not forget one of the most important things for a gamer,

MORE AND BETTER EXCLUSIVE TITLES.

These are just a few things. We won't even get into the whole quality issue or the fact that for a next gen system, the 360 seems decidedly last gen when compared to the PS3. From its brick power supply to its 1987 style loading tray to its noisy cooling fans.

Its to bad really that I have to say things like this. After all Sony is not an American company and Microsoft is. I wish I could say "Buy American". But not in this case I'm afraid.

Microsoft may have had the 360 out first, but they are still way behind.

V.
[quote]
On 2009-08-21 15:06, Loopback wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

There is an article in the September 2009 Game Informer Magazine(which is the worlds number one video game magazine) that talks about fail rates of the consoles. Here are their stats:

This is from a 5000 reader survey.

Console Failure Rate

Wii 6.8%
PS3 10.6%
XBOX360 54.2%

Percentage of console owners who suffered a second hardware failure after the original repair.

Wii 11%
PS3 14.7%
XBOX360 41.2%

Percantage of respondents whose friends have had console hardware failures

Wii 6%
PS3 12.4%
XBOX360 69.9%

Those numbers speak volumes about why my friends and I steer clear of 360's.
[/quote]

Yeah, but that's probably using numbers from before Microsoft fixed the problem they should have fixed in the first place.

Let's take two consoles, 360 and PS3. Both in full working condition. I will give the PS3 extra points for the Blue Ray player, but other than that, what specifically puts the PS3 so far over the 360?
[quote]
On 2009-08-21 22:54, Voldemort wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I believe I've already put up a few reasons. Just read my other posts. That being said just read the post a few above this one. (I just got that issue of 'game informer' today). Those are a few more reasons.

I guess a few of the biggest things to me are simple ones. The first is Blu-ray, This is a big reason and also the reason that a lot of multi-platform games just don't have the graphics or content that PS3 exclusive titles have. Simply put the 360 holds them back. DVD limits what the developers can do and since most of them don't want to create two separate games, (One for 360 and one for PS3) The games are stuck at the lower level 360 standards.

Besides all that,

How about not having to spend $50 a year for online gaming?
No brick of a power supply?
Full HDTV 1080P compatibility with HDMI connectivity.
The best and cheapest Blu-ray player on the market?
Better customer support?
Fewer defects?
And on and on....

And lets not forget one of the most important things for a gamer,

MORE AND BETTER EXCLUSIVE TITLES.

These are just a few things. We won't even get into the whole quality issue or the fact that for a next gen system, the 360 seems decidedly last gen when compared to the PS3. From its brick power supply to its 1987 style loading tray to its noisy cooling fans.

Its to bad really that I have to say things like this. After all Sony is not an American company and Microsoft is. I wish I could say "Buy American". But not in this case I'm afraid.

Microsoft may have had the 360 out first, but they are still way behind.

V.
[/quote]

Good points. Actually the only two "exclusive" things I'm looking forward to are "Ratchet and Clank" or "Kingdom Hearts."
ED, You may like 'Uncharted' as well. Its a fun game.

Another thing that the PS3 has head and shoulders over the 360, Is the hard drive.

A hard drive for a 360 is a "Special" design that works only with the 360. The PS3 uses a regular laptop hard drive that you can get from anywhere. The biggest hard drive for a 360 is, I think, 120 GB for around $100.00. I put a 320 GB seagate in my PS3 that I got for around $70.00.

This is a big deal for those who like to download games and movies and such.

I've so far sited points with the design, Quality, Processing power, Games, and Features that I feel puts the PS3 well above the 360. I don't know exactly what you want to hear Ed. All I can say is that I've owned both. I feel the PS3 is better and that's the bottom line.

But that's just the opinion of someone who, As I say, Has owned both and found one to be lacking.

If you want a PS3... Get one and see for yourself. If you don't... Don't.

BTW, The numbers that were in game informer were taken from a survey conducted a few months ago. From what I'm hearing the problem HAS gotten better. I never had a problem with my 360 and the "Red ring of death" problem either. But that didn't stop me from selling the thing after I got my PS3.

And the Blu-thing. You make it sound like its not that important. Like its throw away information. Its not. Its one of the most important things. Not only because of the fact that you can watch Blu-ray movies on the PS3, But because of what it means in terms of game development. The 360 will NEVER have it.
[quote]
On 2009-08-22 10:09, Voldemort wrote:
ED, You may like 'Uncharted' as well. Its a fun game.

[/quote]

I will get a PS3... just not too certain when. (When KH3 comes out, it will be mandated that a PS3 and a copy of the game be in the house stat!)

I don't mean to put down the PS3. I just get a little annoyed at the ground-pawing attitude of "this is the only REAL console!" which you will find on this thread.

We download smaller stuff and don't keep it so we haven't filled up the hard drive we have yet. But your point is a good one.

I'm also aware that Blu-Ray is a big deal. And it does certainly bump up the PS3's standing. I just wanted to know what ELSE it had. (BTW, as far as "game development" is concerned, as a "casual player" sheer game power is lost on me. There are still games on the PS2 that I have yet to completely conquer. And I have to go pick up my third PS2!)

BTW, what features do you have online? My wife has discovered X-Box Live's presentations of convention materials as well as original productions and Netflix allows streaming of movies and television programs (we've watched "Star Trek" "Red Dwarf" and "Dexter." We watch strange stuff!)
New study:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216691.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;1
No PS3! Wii!
Not playing either. Playing original Pac-Man and Super Mario online.
Have you played 'Eternal Sonata' Ed? It originally came out on the 360 but was updated and released for the PS3 later. Beautiful, Beautiful game.

You sound like quite an RPG fan. I am as well.
Kinda. I seem to prefer RPG or Platform games with RPG elements. On my old PS2, I loved "Ratchet and Clank" and "Kingdom Hearts"

I've discovered Half-Life 2 on "The Orange Box" (got it originally for "Portal.")
Sounds just about the same as me.

If you haven't tried Eternal Sonata I highly recommend it. I'm sure you would like it given that you like Kingdom Hearts.
I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread and start writing down some names!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

...and, when KH3 gets released here, there WILL be a PS3 in the Rhodes household!
Well at least the price for the PS3 is coming down now. The slim 120 GB version is $300.00. Not bad considering that in the beginning they were almost $600.00 for a 20GB.

So its good that you waited Ed.
Oh yeah, I'm never "cutting edge." I wait and see what shakes out before I make my decision. I'd like to say that's because I'm a shrewd, calulating observer of trends and fads... but actually I'm just both cheap and poor and have to wait.
Wife wants to know, does the 80 GB PS3 support Blu-ray or only the 160 GB? I'd like to avoid spending another $100 for the upgrade if I don't have to.
Yes the 8o gb is also a blue ray player.
Thank you. There will be a PS3 in the house... oh yes, there will!
Yeah there are no upgrades Ed. Every PS3 is a blu-ray player from the first one ever sold to the ones on the market today. Right out of the box.
So, if I'm going to get a PS3 for Christmas, I've got questions. The first one is whether I should buy now, or should I expect a bunch of special offers as Christmas approaches?

The second question is where to even start finding a game I would like. My son wants the console mainly for FIFA 10, so that's what he's going to get under the tree. But I ain't buying him a machine unless I can find something for ME. (Hey, it's my money, right?) Keep in mind that here in Germany the current titles cost about $100 a pop--roughly twice what you'd pay by ordering from Amazon in the States. Do you know how many Higleys I could buy for $100?

I haven't owned a console since the original Playstation. Here's my taste in games: I played Tomb Raider a lot (1 and 2; bought 3 and 4 but never played them through), enjoyed Resident Evil, but totally MASTERED Final Fantasy VII. On the PC I played through Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo and then Diablo II as they came out. I still play Diablo II online. I'm still waiting for Exmortis 3 to come online.

What I LOVE is atmosphere...preferably dark and creepy. Action is almost irrelevant. What I loved about Tomb Raider was the exploration...the feeling like I was in another world. When she had to pull out her guns I thought it a bore.

I just watched a video review of "Batman: Arkham Asylum", at it has EXACTLY the dark and creepy look I like. Has anyone played it? I'm not sure if the martial arts angle will appeal to me. Never played a game like that before.

I also watched a movie with Brigitte Lahaie this afternoon, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Lastly, I also just watched a demo of Drake's Fortune. Looks like a great game in the tradition of Tomb Raider. But it doesn't seem very dark and creepy, and the stuff I [i]didn't[/i] like about tomb raider--all the shooting, which I found irritating--seems to be VERY important (based on the demo I watched).

So, any thoughts?

Oh, and are all controllers wireless these days? Does that work, or do you have to keep your hands pointed at the console all the time?

Any other purchasing tips would also be appreciated.
[quote]
On 2009-09-12 16:44, stoneunhinged wrote:
What I LOVE is atmosphere...preferably dark and creepy. Action is almost irrelevant. What I loved about Tomb Raider was the exploration...the feeling like I was in another world. When she had to pull out her guns I thought it a bore.

I just watched a video review of "Batman: Arkham Asylum", at it has EXACTLY the dark and creepy look I like. Has anyone played it? I'm not sure if the martial arts angle will appeal to me. Never played a game like that before.
[/quote]

I would say Bioshock is the game for you. That game has tons of atmosphere. I have also heard great things about Arkham Asylum.
I bought Arkham Asylum and give it 2 thumbs up!
You can also charge things with a USB port from the ps3, upload a USB memory stick to it, and use it as a cd player ( or save the music to the hard drive)

jeff, go to gamespot.com. U can search for reviews on all games.
Are you able to play PS2 games on the PS3? I've been reading conflicting info about that aspect.
[quote]
On 2009-09-16 08:07, kid iowa wrote:
Are you able to play PS2 games on the PS3? I've been reading conflicting info about that aspect.
[/quote]

It depends unfortunatly. On some of the older models, You can play PS2 games. After the PS3 was in production for a while, Sony decided to phase out PS2 backward compatability. Why? Well I guess it had to do with the cost of the system. At least that was the word. It didn't make much sense to me but of course, I'm nobody. Oddly enough, I beleive all PS3's, even the new models, can play PS1 games. I guess its a different emulator.

My PS3 CAN play PS2 and Ps1 gsames. You can find them for sale on e-bay and gamestop sells them as refurbished or used systems.

A great deal of rumors abound about the possibility of a firmware update and a downloadable catalog of PS2 games. This seems to be something that may be in the near future although Sony has not confirmed it. The Newer PS3's will still not be able to play disk based PS2 games, Only the downloadable PS2 games that have been re-written for that purpose.

As I said, The whole thing makes no sense to me. It seems kind of stupid to phase out hundreds of games that could be sold for use on the new system. The only explination I can come up with is that there will indeed be a downloadable catalog of PS2 games in the future.
[quote]
On 2009-09-12 16:44, stoneunhinged wrote:
So, if I'm going to get a PS3 for Christmas, I've got questions. The first one is whether I should buy now, or should I expect a bunch of special offers as Christmas approaches?

The second question is where to even start finding a game I would like. My son wants the console mainly for FIFA 10, so that's what he's going to get under the tree. But I ain't buying him a machine unless I can find something for ME. (Hey, it's my money, right?) Keep in mind that here in Germany the current titles cost about $100 a pop--roughly twice what you'd pay by ordering from Amazon in the States. Do you know how many Higleys I could buy for $100?

I haven't owned a console since the original Playstation. Here's my taste in games: I played Tomb Raider a lot (1 and 2; bought 3 and 4 but never played them through), enjoyed Resident Evil, but totally MASTERED Final Fantasy VII. On the PC I played through Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo and then Diablo II as they came out. I still play Diablo II online. I'm still waiting for Exmortis 3 to come online.

I also watched a movie with Brigitte Lahaie this afternoon, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Lastly, I also just watched a demo of Drake's Fortune. Looks like a great game in the tradition of Tomb Raider. But it doesn't seem very dark and creepy, and the stuff I [i]didn't[/i] like about tomb raider--all the shooting, which I found irritating--seems to be VERY important (based on the demo I watched).

So, any thoughts?

Oh, and are all controllers wireless these days? Does that work, or do you have to keep your hands pointed at the console all the time?

Any other purchasing tips would also be appreciated.
[/quote]

WOW... that's a lot of questions! LOL

But its good that your asking BEFORE you buy.

Firstly, Because you liked Diablo and D2 I'm going to assume that you like RPG's (Role playing games). Is that correct? I understand that you like the exploration side of it but as I remember Diablo and D2 were combat based Hack 'n slashers. So if that kind of thing is you cup of joe I'll point you in the direction of a game called Oblivion (The elder scrolls 4). Lots of quests and dungon crawling and exploring in that title and a good story to boot.

There are other tomb raider games as well. The last one came out about a year ago called 'Tomb raider - underworld' so you may be interested in that. If you snag a PS3 with backward compatability (See my above post), You can get a the original Tomb raider in an updated form called "anniversary" made for PS2. They did a super job of updating the game and it really great. There are lot of other tomb raider games as well.

All that being said I'm still going to recommened Uncharted (Drakes fortune) to you as well. It does have a lot of gun play but it fits the exploration bill and IMHO was a great game.

Sorry, But I have not played "Batman" yet. However It has gotten GREAT reveiws from both the critics and players.

Yes, Most of the controlers are indeed wireless these days. PS3 (Well mostly all systems) utilize bluetooth tech. Really really great stuff. 0 lag and I can play my PS3 two rooms away if I like. So no, You do not have to keep the controller pointed at the console or even in the near vicinity.

There MAY be some deals you can find this coming holiday season. I'm not sure about that though because historically consoles don't seem to be on sale much.

If you want to try for backwards compatibility so that you can play PS2 games, And you don't mind buying a used system, I'd try hitting up E-bay or http://www.gamestop.com

If you want a new system, The 120GB PS3 slims are out now and from what I hear they are great.

There are a lot of options when buying a new system these days. (At least for now) And the slim is $300.00. You can get a used 20GB PS3 for $279.00 at gamestop that "should" (Ask to make sure) be backwards compatable and play PS2 games.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If you need anything else I'll try to answer as best I can.
PS3? Nothing. I'm still stuck on PC games--particularly "Lode Runner Returns".

"Hi, my name is Mike and I'm addicted to "Lode Runner Returns"."

"Hello, Mike. Welcome."

"Anyone else addicted to this game and who wishes to exchange homemade levels?"
Voldemort, thanks a ton for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Yes, I love RPGs. But any die-hard Diablo fan will tell you that the combat was not, is not, and will never be the point of the game. The point of the game is finding STUFF. How good the STUFF is is tested by combat, but the goal is to acquire such good STUFF that combat becomes a cakewalk.

We have a gamestop here in town. Pretty new, actually. But I'll probably buy my machine there to support them.

Thanks for the game tips.
Your very welcome Jeff!! :)

Yeah, your 100% correct about Diablo. I have not played it in a couple years now and I did not mean to imply that it was simply about combat. I was just trying to get a feel for what you may or may not have liked about it as to give you some better recomendations.

I can now state that no reservation that you would probably LOVE Oblivion. I'd definatly try it out when and if you get a PS3. In fact you can pick it up used at gamestop for around $20.00 for the regular edition, and $30.00 for the Game of the year edition that includes even more quests and even more "Stuff" to find and play with. I have to warn you though, To finish that game and all the side quests will take a looong time! With all the games for the PS3 it would be as good a place to start as any.

If your looking for a backward compatable PS3, Here are some of the model numbers and info to help you find one.

120GB
Model Number CECH-2001A
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date September 2009
In Production Yes

160GB
Model Number CECHP01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date November 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHL01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date October 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHK01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date August 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHE01
USB Ports 4
Backward Compatible Yes !!!!
Release Date August 2007
In Production No

60GB
Model Number CECHA01
USB Ports 4
Release Date November 2006
In Production No

40GB
Model Number CECHH01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date March 2008
In Production No

40GB
Model Number CECHG01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date November 2007
In Production No

20GB
Model Number CECHB01
USB Ports 4
Release Date November 2006
In Production No
Awesome, thanks Voldemort!
Modern Warfare! Mostly just online though.
[quote]
On 2009-09-17 11:21, kid iowa wrote:
Awesome, thanks Voldemort!
[/quote]

Not a problem!!

I'm actually playing Little Big Planet right now as well. Cute little game, Lots of fun and my son and myself can play it together.

The level creation thing is almost daunting theres so much that you can do.
NHL 10 is great. If you are a hockey fan it is a must have.
Operation flashpoint comes out soon ( a strategy based FPS), forza 3 and modern warfare 2. Gonna be a busy couple of months
Uncharted 2 in a few days! Its been getting great reveiws from IGN and others.

Can't wait!!
OK, let's just say--hypothetically--that I've decided it would be stupid to buy a PS3 to use on my old TV. Flatscreen, wide-screen, LCD, here we come! Hypothetically.

Now, is HD-ready good enough? Or MUST I absolutely without question cough up the extra coin for a full HD TV. Remember that I don't watch television. I only watch DVDs. When I get the PS3, I will be using that, too.

HD-ready or full HD?

Hypothetically.
Just got brutal legend. If you are a jack black fan this is a must have.
[quote]
On 2009-10-10 10:43, stoneunhinged wrote:
OK, let's just say--hypothetically--that I've decided it would be stupid to buy a PS3 to use on my old TV. Flatscreen, wide-screen, LCD, here we come! Hypothetically.

Now, is HD-ready good enough? Or MUST I absolutely without question cough up the extra coin for a full HD TV. Remember that I don't watch television. I only watch DVDs. When I get the PS3, I will be using that, too.

HD-ready or full HD?

Hypothetically.
[/quote]

Hypothetically, I'd go full HD my friend. If that is, You want the best picture possible.

No, You don't absolutly have to have full HD. But for the best the your new system and TV could give you I'd go with Full HD.
HELP!

Got the TV, and need to buy the PS3 soon. The problem is that here in Germany they just started offering bundles with a 250G PS3.

So is the 250G worth a little extra money? Or is it something I won't ever use unless I download stuff from the Internet. Does it enhance performance in any way whatsoever that I would ever notice?

I do not ever plan to use the PS3 with the Internet.

I'd like to know rather quickly because there is a local store offering a bundle this week only with the best price I've seen so far for exactly what my son wants.
[quote]
I do not ever plan to use the PS3 with the Internet.[/quote]

Now that's what I thought when we got PS3...was very serious about it. I couldn't resist...its very addictive and fun!

Currently playing Uncharted 2 :)
What's offered on the PS3 over the Internet?
And why is a bigger hard drive better?
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 12:04, ed rhodes wrote:
[/quote]

EVERYTHING. You can use it as a puter and browse if you like. You can download movies and tv shows. You can download games. Additions to games (levels, extras, updates etc) and ONLINE Gameplay of course(free).
Mike, you speak as if you own one... is this true?
Nay - however I'm well versed in their operations and capabilities. Fam and Friends own them and I have borrowed them while they on Military AD before.

See my birthday post down the list for my ping on presents.
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 13:54, MAKMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 12:04, ed rhodes wrote:
[/quote]

EVERYTHING. You can use it as a puter and browse if you like. You can download movies and tv shows. You can download games. Additions to games (levels, extras, updates etc) and ONLINE Gameplay of course(free).
[/quote]

They do have a pretty good browser.

The old ones could have an operating system installed (Linux or equivalent) if you wanted to do so. The new models can not. Not a big deal unless you really wanted that feature. And since it doesn't have that feature anymore, I'm guessing not many did.

The bigger hard drive is better if you plan on downloading games and/or movies from PSN. Which sort of answers one of your questions. You can download games, downloadable content for games that you already have to expand them, and movies using the internet and there is online multi player as well. There are also quite a few applications available like facebook and such. Heck I can order a Pappa John's pizza online using my PS3. (Not sure why the hell I'd want to But....) I'd just go ahead and get the 250GB model if you can find a good deal on it. You will have plenty of storage that way.

Myself I bought a 120GB model and shoved a 320GB hard drive into it. I'm good to go.
[quote]
On 2009-12-01 13:31, Voldemort wrote:

Myself I bought a 120GB model and shoved a 320GB hard drive into it. I'm good to go.
[/quote]

That kind of sounds dirty
Currently playing Borderlands
[quote]
On 2009-12-01 13:46, MAKMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-12-01 13:31, Voldemort wrote:

[/quote]

That kind of sounds dirty
[/quote]

;)
So....

I just ordered a 250G Playstation bundled with Uncharted 2 (the bundle cost fifty Euros less than buying the machine without a bundle.)

I also ordered Oblivion, because it sounds like my kind of game.

Thanks for all the help and advice, especially Voldemort.
Hey, what about me? I made a comment about being dirty.

See if I help you again.
Thank you too, Michael, especially for your dirty comment.

Have a beer:

:stout:

In fact, beer for everyone in this thread!

:stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout: :stout:
This is good news jeff. let me know if you have any questions, I'm hooked up at sony
Hoooked up how?
I own it.

My friend works for the playstation division, answers all my questions about everything.
I've been playing either Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands.
[quote]
On 2009-12-03 10:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
So....

I just ordered a 250G Playstation bundled with Uncharted 2 (the bundle cost fifty Euros less than buying the machine without a bundle.)

[/quote]

You are very, very welcome Jeff!!

I really hope that you enjoy your new system.

Oblivion is a great game and you should love it. Just don't let it overwhelm you in the begining. Theres lots to do...

Please let us know what you think of it when you get it!!

BTW.. Don't forget to pick up a Blu-ray movie sometime and see what that new HDTV can really do. This may sound funny, But if you like the movie 'Cars'. It looks fantastic on Blu-ray. If youv'e seen it on DVD and then see the Blu-ray version you can really tell the difference.
BTW, I'm currently playing Demon's souls!! Great RPG and very addictive.
[quote]
On 2009-12-03 10:08, stoneunhinged wrote:
So....

[/quote]

I went digging for this. It's a short sequence in a web-comic I was following until it went on "hiatus." Bear (the cat) falls asleep playing "Oblivion."

http://www.catenamanor.com/index.php?comic=157
Assasins Creed II is out now , anyone have it?
It is! Anyone? It looks effing marvelous. The first one was cool but stupidly reptetive as far as gameplay goes. How's this one?

You can call me a denier then shoot me dead in few weeks I think. Beware though...I'll respawn;)
I am going to get one next week when I have time to spend playing it.

The last one was indeed repetative and this one looks like there are a few new moves and stuff. I bought the first one for 10 bucks from Best Buy on sale. I hope the second one is good.
Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2.
I'm having a problem with a trophy in Uncharted 2. "Steel Fist Expert" eludes me, though I've followed several tips from the games forums. It's the only one I don't have except for playing the game on crushing, which I'm unlikely to ever do. So this is basically the one last thing I'm trying to do.

Any tips from any of you people here at the Café?
Uh...nevermind.

Right after I posted this I thought I'd try just one more time, and this time I succeeded.

Go figure.
Apparently I'm the only one who will continue to post in this thread.

Still.

I have to work, but my son and wife are going off on vacation for the next two weeks. I figure I'll just do my job, take care of our pets, and then eat and drink myself silly and play Playstation.

So I want to buy something just for a couple of weeks.

I could play Final Fantasy XIII, or I could play through the first Uncharted.

Any thoughts?
Well I only have an Xbox 360, I've had a PS3. Not worth it having both because most games are multi-platform anyway.

Right now I'm playing Dead Space 2! I just beat Alan Wake, great story telling.

My girlfriend is playing Dragon Age 2, I still need to play Dragon Age 1.
Anyone else jazzed up about Uncharted 3 and Skyrim coming out? I've got work to do, but...hey....

I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas, which is a lot of fun but which I'm playing in German, and since there seem to be all these 50's era aesthetic allusions, I feel I'm missing something by being denied the experience in good old American English.

This thread belongs to me. I own it now. Me and Blindside785, who lives in Olympia where my sister lives.
Just got battlefield 3, cool game. Uncharted got some good reviews.
I've got platinums for both Uncharteds, so this next one is a must for me. I'm gonna be acting like a 14-year-old when I finally get it.

Although...it comes out on Wednesday, and I agreed to give a lecture on Wednesday evening to some group of something or others. So I won't get to play it on Wednesday.

By Thursday, there will be 224,634 teenagers who have their platinums and are offering run-through videos on YouTube to get through all the tricky parts.

I don't know whether to love or hate our modern world. Right now I kind of love it. :)
I have a PS3, but I've never played a video game on it. Just Blu-Rays. And I still can't get it to hook up to my Wi-Fi to watch Netflix on.
I don't play anywhere near as much as I did in the day but I did finish Infamous and am working on Infamous 2. Stoney, I've got Uncharted 2 but havent played it. I guess I must be missing something!

Mike
I think the last video game I played might have been flash Pac-Man. Pac-Man will always be the greatest.
Mike, I resisted Uncharted, because I like adventure and exploration, but the combat seemed really silly to me in the Tombraider games. BUT: Uncharted 2 was bundled with my PS3. So something like six months after I got my PS3, I was bored and stuck Uncharted 2 into the darned thing, and I got hooked. Hooked deep and hard. I still find the combat to be silly, logically speaking (I mean, how many thousands of pirates can one guy kill in real life?), but in the end it's just a video game task--a video game shooting gallery--and can actually be a lot of fun.

Still, the exploration stuff is better than in any game I've ever played. The platforming (Jeff spreads his peacock feathers, because he knows a nerdy technical term now) is superb--much better than Tombraider. It's simple, but still fun.

Did I use the word "fun" yet? The Uncharted series is far from my list of greatest games ever when it comes to depth and breadth and the opportunity to immerse yourself into another world (escaping this one?). But it's close to #1 on the FUN list.

Critter: Pac Man? Pac Man? I thought you were in your 20s or something. Pac Man?
I'll sell you a Ms Pac Man upright video game if you're interested Critter. :)
[quote]
On 2011-10-28 10:21, rockwall wrote:
I'll sell you a Ms Pac Man upright video game if you're interested Critter. :)
[/quote]

Would that I were more than a poor college student...
[quote]
On 2011-10-28 03:13, stoneunhinged wrote:
Critter: Pac Man? Pac Man? I thought you were in your 20s or something. Pac Man?
[/quote]

When I was a wee tot my adult family members had a habit of taking me to bars and casinos and setting me in front of video game machines with no quarters while they did their adult things. That's when you could actually bring your kids into those places. Staring at Pac Man machines made me really want to play so as soon as I could I did.
I also got into old school Nintendo later than most because someone gave me their old machine and I became addicted to Super Mario Bros. None of the sequels of that ever lived up to the original either.
I belong to the generation that lost all of their quarters.

People a bit older than me didn't get the point of popping quarters into arcade machines.

People younger than me could put a quarter into the machine and play for a loooooooooooooong time. I remember watching some kid playing "Asteroids" and he had his rhythm and was just killing that machine. One quarter meant twenty or thirty minutes for him.

I remember when they re-built this miniature golf course in Pearl City (Hawaii) to include an arcade. That arcade became my second hangout. My first hangout was the run-down movie theaters in downtown Honolulu (Chinatown) which showed Kung Fu films.

So a typical weekend for me, back in the day, was: go to a movie on Friday night, if I can find parking in downtown Honolulu. On Saturday afternoon go see a couple of Kung Fu movies. Since I've already paid for parking, if there is some kind of cool (normal) movie in town, I might as well watch it. On Sunday: church. After church, a drive downtown to watch Kung Fu movies.

But when I got home from all those trips to Chinatown, I went to Pearl City to the arcade. And I played games that are long forgotten.

My greatest love was the pinball machines. But next to that, I played video games. And I am the age, and I had the opportunity, and the desire, to play the classics.

This post has no point other than some nostalgic reminiscing about those arcades with dozens of video game machines.

Does such a thing still exist?

Do any of you go to Pearl City, Hawaii to play arcade games?
I never had the Kung-fu movie theatre experience, but would have loved it. Instead I just rented them for 49 cents at Hasting's, 5 at a time, and watched them back to back, two or three times in a row.
Critter, you missed something special.

For the life of me, I can't remember whether the theaters were half-empty or what. But there were two main theaters to go to: one was a Golden Harvest-owned theater, and it showed...ah...Golden Harvest films. That's where I went for Bruce Lee films. I had seen most of Bruce Lee's films ten to twenty times before video tape recorders became a household item. When they did, my first tapes (Betamax!) were Bruce Lee films.

The second theater was some kind of run-down theater that had been one of those super-duper fancy-arsed theaters with curtains and red, plush-velvet seats. That theater showed the Shaw brothers films AND anything else in the same genre.

I'm not saying that those were the happiest times of my life. They weren't. But I remember them fondly. When guys like Lobo were exercising their brains on chess, I was watching Kung Fu films in Chinatown in downtown Honolulu. I ain't proud of it, but I ain't ashamed, either.
[quote]
On 2011-10-28 12:33, stoneunhinged wrote:
And I played games that are long forgotten.
[/quote]

Not by all of us Stone.
Did you ever player Sinistar? That was one cool, wacked, video game. I AM SINISTAR!

Mike
On the original NES there was a game called "bibleman." At the time I played it I was going through a pagan phase, but I still thought it was a fun game. You went around smashing stuff with the staff of Moses and in bonus rounds answered biblical trivia.
Bomber Man was also awesome. And the original Starfox was cool but really hard.
So Stoney, your strong endorsement of Uncharted combined with the commercial I saw for it recently and a nearly unprecedented score of 10 on IGN convinced me to pick up Uncharted 3. So far, I'm not disapointed. Are you playing it yet?
Uncharged 3 is absolutely incredible.

I'm picking up Skyrim for the PC. I absolutely can't wait since it comes out on my birthday. I AM THE DRAGONBORN!
Yes, I started Uncharted 3, and like it very much so far. At least one of the puzzles was significantly more difficult than in the first two. But I promised my son that he could watch me play, so instead of finishing it this weekend I'm only up to chapter 8. (We limit the amount of time my son can stare at video screens. It's my wife's idea. :()

Back to the classics: no, I never played Sinistar. To be honest, I don't even remember it.
Time to resurrect this old thread. Uncharted 4 came out earlier last year but I've just started playing it. Amazing graphics. I'm not too far into it but it looks to be a blast. Makes me feel like I'm rock climbing again. I need to get out for real and do that!
[quote]On Jul 28, 2009, GeorgeG wrote:
FEAR 2 started it many months ago, stopped, now back on it [/quote]

My wife played all the FEAR games on the Xbox 360. I can't get through the first one.
There comes a time, gamer, when the graphics cease to sparkle, when the levels lose their luster, when the game room becomes a study, and all that is left is a man's love for his fleeting free time.