(Close Window)
Topic: MB's Crimp Karate Koin
You can't stop the CHOP CHOP!...And that's why I've moved the Crimp Karate Koin out of the shadows and placed it right up front so you can put it right in their faces. I decided to shine a brighter light on this effect as it is a real cutey-pie with lots of good moves, with an element of impossibility where you magically control the reality. And what a reality it is, an absolutely classic one fueled by a move that is nothing less than wizardly self defense.If you missed this one from years back, here's a chance again for you to earn your black belt.

Download comes with manuscript and explanation video, plus a super BONUS manuscript and a BONUS video look-back on the effect.
Available at http://vinnymarini.com/download/karatekoin.html

Guys, this is "smooth". We have all seen and most of us have done Karate Coin. MB's Crimp Karate Koin is in your face and both hands are shown to contain only the 1 coin, borrowed if you like. This is far from a knucklebuster routine and fun to perform.With the detailed videos and booklets provided, you will be up and running with this in no time.You will learn everything needed to perform this plus a "couple" other sleights that are available from Marion from other download effects. You cant go wrong for this inexpensive detailed download.Even if you have a routine already in place, you have to at least give this a shot. Its always good to have a few different methods at your disposal anyway as then you can repeat the effect for the same audience and use new method. Watch the video, judge for yourself or take my honest opinion of this....It rocks.
Message: Posted by: Sword of the Soldier (Aug 4, 2009 11:57PM)
Guys,

Marion is brilliant! All the guys at Vinny's site are. I own some of Marion's stuff, gotten to sneak peak it, gotten to use it and its all golden. I'm sure this is no exception!

Not to mention MB is always around the Café to lend a helping hand!

All the Best,

Josh
Wow, seems really cool! I am a HUGE fan of the Karate Coin, MB, and MB's work on the Karate Coin, he probably knows that ;) I will probably be picking this up
Smooth my brother, your list of effects now adds up to a full DVD (maybe 2)! As with everything you've been doing this is just one more fine example of your creative thinking!

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMc
Marion

That is a slick way to do Karate coin.Smooth as usual from a great mind in coin magic.
Thanks Marion for bring this back to the forefront.
Tim
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Aug 5, 2009 11:22PM)
Incredible! Is this hard to do? I may just buy it..I assume I'll need a karate coin to use it?
Simplest yet the very best,,,,

the godfather
Strangtastingfish, get it, you will do this, you will like this and MB tells you how to make the coin as well as where to get. keep in mind for practicing or for a routine, washers can be used too.
Thanks guys, appreciating all the interest on the website about this effect. :)

You can get the gimlet style coin at a variety of shops or coin makers, or do it like I did it and simply make your own and it's pretty easy to do or to get it done. ;)

It's not hard as all you do is drill a hole in the coin to size. Usually your local hardware store will do it for you for nothing and a trick or two. ;) You can even use a washer to practice until you get your coin.

It's truly worth the small effort as the effect as you see (and have commented by PMs and emails) on the website is amazing. :D
Karate coin is an awesome routine. I went to our local OSH for help, they tried to sell me a $50.00 drill bit. I never though of a washer. They have some that are Gold. That's sounds like some where good to star.

Keep up the great effects MB :)

Rick
Another great routine from MB!
Thanks Wes and Rick. People are actually making their own Karate Koins...:) Man that's really cool. I can't tell you how many folks have gotten back to me that they took my advice and did it themselves or took it to their town hardware. One guy got his neighborhood hardware to drill 10 of these things for him and he's offering others the coins for a modest fee. :) This is like a Karate Koin stimulus package...:D Anyway, I'm glad to see such interest in the effect. Real glad I brought it out of the shadows and hope people keep checking it out and giving it a try. Thanks all. :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-12 21:45, Mb217 wrote:
...(edit)...Real glad I brought it out of the shadows and hope people keep checking it out and giving it a try. Thanks all. :)
[/quote]

Marion Boykin, your work is amazing...fooled me! I LOVE to be fooled, and it does not happen very often. I don't even want to KNOW, but NEED to! LOL!

I cannot purchase anything at this time, but for future reference, $10 is very easy to come by. Meantime, I watch that vid over and over. No clue! I love it!

Doug
Hey thanks Dougi, great to hear from you...:) And yes to others that have PMd me or emailed as to the BONUSES in this package...The bigger part of it is indeed the lost manuscript for the Crimp Change. ;)

When I first put out the Crimp Change download years back now (My, how time flies), it was just videos. I had since put together a good manuscript detailing the move along with the Blow Change and offering all sorts of further insight and suggestions as to the sleight, effect and routine, some really helpful stuff like the "Boom-Boom!" and "How to Crank Up Your Crimp Change." ;)

I included this as a Bonus with my revisit of the Crimp Karate Koin for reasons you will better understand when you get the download. :) In the meantime, just wanted you all to know that there's a lot packed in there besides the low, low cost as to overall value...There always is. :) -Mb
Mb's work is always of good value and pack a bang for it's buck.
I try to do that loren to give people different looks and ways of using the material. This particular BONUS of a Crimp Change manuscript is where I began in my magic offerings so it's pretty special to me and it seems like people do the move everywhere nowadays, so I thought in conjuction with Crimp Karate Koin it would be a more complete download that spells greater value. I'm glad people are enjoying it as that's what it's all about. :) Thanks again.
Hi Fellas,
I just found an old coin set in my magic box that I think is perfect for MB's routine. Here it is, you might have seen it. It is a gold coin of Harry Hounini's face on one side and handcuffs on the other, the second coin is the same - Harry's face/handcuffs. The routine comes with a purse, and you are supposed to tell a storey of how Houdini can escape from anything. BUT I thought just the two coins would make aq great Karate Koin set?

Any thoughts :)
I just ordered the Crimp Karate Koin routine. Can't wait to start working on it. As a bonus there's a PDF file on the crimp change. I need to get this style of coin, as I don't have a drill press. This looks like something I will do! I love stuff that is easy to carry and packs a punch. This is very visual, right in the spectator's face. It may be my lead in to CSB using a walking liberty.
Sammy
I was having a NYC lunch recently (and a whole lot of fun) with Mano and man is that guy amazing!!! :D Words do him little justice, you just gotta sit down with him, break some bread/share some drink and see for yourself. It's a beautiful thing. :) Anyway, I did the Crimp Karate Koin for him and WOO-HOO!!! he absolutely loved it. :D

And you're right Sammy, it's done right up close and in your face and Mano really loved the smooth penetration, as others were just dumbstruck watching from their tables as I held it out for all to see. ;) Packs small but will smack the living daylights out of ya! :D I mean they're thinking that this just can't be happening between bites on a hot pastrami sandwich, the usual NYC skepticism and all the noise, but it is. :D

Appreciate all the interest here and on the website in the effect. -Mb
I recently bought this, as I do with 90% of Mb's releases, and found a gem inside. I don't want to reveal his secrets or anything, but one of his sleights is a variation of a seldom used technique and it's absolutely gorgeous. Definitely, DEFINITELY, worth the mere $10.
Thanks loren, glad you're liking this so much. Like you mention, there's a lot in there and that move you're speaking of here is just killer and something that should be in every coin worker's arsenal. ;)
I took a WL to the magic luncheon today, and got a machinist (magician) friend to take the coin and make me a karate coin this week. I can't wait till next Saturday to get this coin. Coin - $6.50, labor - free. A great deal!
Sammy
Isn't it wonderful to have friends with skills such as a machinist, artist, and jeweler! (Tools for tools ...priceless)
MB knows a good friend or two to make a walloping karate coin gimlet ;) Definitely lots of great material out there and this is at the top of the list :)
Where's the best place to find this type of karate coin?
[quote]
On 2009-09-01 17:40, Frankie636 wrote:
[/quote]

Unfortunately, there is no place to purchase this type of Karate coin.

Maybe ask Sammy how or who is making his and he can hook you up!
[quote]
On 2009-09-02 14:46, lorenwade wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-09-01 17:40, Frankie636 wrote:
[/quote]

Unfortunately, there is no place to purchase this type of Karate coin.

Maybe ask Sammy how or who is making his and he can hook you up!
[/quote]I have actually spoken with Jamie Schoolcraft and he said that he makes these Karate Coin gimlets. I think his rate was something around $50 though lol. Todd Lassen makes a gimlet as well which looks very nice but is also highly priced
Are they the same type as the one in the video?

I would suggest to eveyrone who wants to do this trick, to purchase it... then buy the coin. That way Mb can tell you about how he got his, as well as the tips provided for it to get you the right coin.
Lorenwade, Schoolcraft mentioned that he makes the hole directly in the center and he can drill it out off centered if prefered (which actually adds more credibility, or "randomness" to the effect). From what I know, they don't make them all busted out. Just the gimlet, which is a good thing :)
[quote]
On 2009-09-03 22:22, MarkTirone wrote:
Lorenwade, Schoolcraft mentioned that he makes the hole directly in the center and he can drill it out off centered if prefered (which actually adds more credibility, or "randomness" to the effect). From what I know, they don't make them all busted out. Just the gimlet, which is a good thing :)
[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks for the update, man!
No problem. But still, the best thing to do is follow Marion's advice. FOr all you know, you could be buying a $100 coin that is way too big or small for your finger lol. Eric Jones also used to sell Karate coin gimlets along iwth a manuscript called "Tai Chi". It's on his website still for $40 but from what he told me, it's out of print so I am not sure if he is just using up the last of them or if he just never took down the Advertisement
Eric Jones suggests the concept of using a coin that already has a hole in it - that way the hole looks like it's got bigger (rather than a hole just happening in a solid coin). I found that makes the effect far more "plausible".

I perform this with MB's crimp change (one handed penetration) - crimping it onto my finger (penetration) then crimping it off again.

The heat is on the coin - handing that out after crimping it back - giving me plenty of time to ditch the one with the bigger hole.

Spec's typically think the coin is gaffed - so focus all their attention on the one you hand out.

MB has some GREAT effects and everything he does has a blend of fun and pure magic. Keep up the great work.

Keith

PS: Using a coin that already has a hole means you just need to file it out to fit.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Sep 4, 2009 07:29PM)
I remember watching the Eric Evans video of his version, really neat stuff, that guy is so smooth.

For years I'v just used the original karate coin as a throw away type thing during a coin routine, but I really like what I'm seeing with this stuff.
[quote]
On 2009-09-04 16:34, MarkTirone wrote:
No problem. But still, the best thing to do is follow Marion's advice. FOr all you know, you could be buying a $100 coin that is way too big or small for your finger lol. Eric Jones also used to sell Karate coin gimlets along iwth a manuscript called "Tai Chi". It's on his website still for $40 but from what he told me, it's out of print so I am not sure if he is just using up the last of them or if he just never took down the Advertisement
[/quote]

The manuscript, which was limited to only 100 copies, sold pretty quickly and I refund anyone who tries to order it until I can get my webguy to remove it. However, those searching for a Karate Coin(finger gimlet, not the "bust out" coin) can take solice in knowing that a Karate Coin will be included in my An Extension of Me 3 DVD set.

For those interested in making their own, I have found that a 3/4" diameter hole is the best size for 80% of us. Endomorphs and ectomorphs will need to adjust the size to fit their finger. Be sure to sand out the bore or you could cut your self. I've also found the process a lot easier if you use a LATHE to cut out the hole in the coin rather than drilling the coin out.
[quote]
On 2009-09-04 20:29, Christopher Rinaldi wrote:
I remember watching the Eric Evans video of his version, really neat stuff, that guy is so smooth.

For years I'v just used the original karate coin as a throw away type thing during a coin routine, but I really like what I'm seeing with this stuff.
[/quote]

I don't think I've ever seen Eric Evans do the Karate Coin, but I do have his coin Manipulation DVD complete w/ jumbo "coins". Where can I buy Eric Evans' version of the Karate Coin?
*cough cough* too much excitement!! lol
I got my WL gimlet today. The hole may be a little smaller than I need, but I want to play with it for a while before having it made larger. My machinist buddy did a great job with it, very smooth opening.
Mb's routine is very convincing, but takes some practice to master. Having said that, there is nothing that is beyond the reach of a beginner to intermediate coin worker, and I guarantee that if you have issues with any of the moves, Marion will help you through them. Great handling of a classic effect. Highly recommended!
Message: Posted by: Christopher Rinaldi (Sep 6, 2009 07:20AM)
[quote]
On 2009-09-05 09:27, Eric Jones wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-09-04 20:29, Christopher Rinaldi wrote:

[/quote]

I don't think I've ever seen Eric Evans do the Karate Coin, but I do have his coin Manipulation DVD complete w/ jumbo "coins". Where can I buy Eric Evans' version of the Karate Coin?
[/quote]

Hahahaha My bad...I meant Eric Jones, theres just too many magicians these days, it's hard to keep track of you all...I guess I'm turning into my Dad, that guy couldn't get anybodys name right!

:)
Chris, yes there are many magicians out there but only one Eric Jones. :) His take on the Karate Coin, is masterful, well-thought out and quite amazing, just a wonderful piece of magic and quite inspirational to me.