(Close Window)
Topic: Little Man by Paul Harris
I found this over at the new Paul Harris store. It sounds incredible!

[url=http://paulharrispresents.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/834064]little MAN[/url]

The AD:
Paul Harris & Rod Whitlock

(special thanks to Angelo Carbone)

Engineering and Product development
by Rod Whitlock

A LUMP OF CLAY COMES TO LIFE!

You bring out a small gift bag and pull out a standard container of kid's clay. You peel off the lid, pull out a lump of clay and let your audience freely squish, pull and play with it. You then help the audience mold the clay into a little man (or woman!) The only reason you help is to insure that his little proportions are correct. YOUR HANDS ARE ALWAYS EMPTY. THERE'S NOTHING INSIDE THE CLAY!

A spectator then takes a final bit of clay and shapes it into a tiny clay heart. She warms the heart in her hands... and for a moment... she THINKS SHE MIGHT feel a tiny heart beat. She gently sticks the tiny clay heart onto Little Man's chest. You then stand the little guy on the flattened empty bag. Someone gently blows on his heart. Then a moment later...unbelievably... Little Man takes his first step! YES, HE'S MOVING FORWARD AND ACTUALLY WALKING... ONE ASTONISHING STEP AT A TIME!

This is where you have to see the on-line demo to experience the devastating wonderfulness of it all. His entire clay body VISIBLY TURNS AND LURCHES FORWARD with each dramatic step. And not that you'd want to, but you could leave the room, go out for a burger, and Little Man would keep on walking! And after about 10 steps, when Little Man finally stops, anyone can immediately SQUISH HIM INTO A BALL OR TEAR HIM APART... AND THERE'S NOTHING TO FIND BUT A LUMP OF CLAY!

Incredibly Easy. No switches,palming,steals, etc. Your hands are always empty.

Empty bag and container can be freely handled by audience at end of effect.

Completely self-contained. Nothing attached to you or your clothes.

Perform completely surrounded in any lighting conditions

Re-sets in two to three minutes. * Same lump of clay can be used over and over.

$300 (Complete with DVD and extra clay.)

TAKE LITTLE MAN FOR A WALK TODAY!
HAha this looks cool.
True Astonishments or little man hmm.

which to buy lol.

This sounds a little weird I guess it is a "you have to be there" trick to fully understand it.
How about True Astonishments THEN little man LOL
Sounds great
[quote]
On 2009-08-11 17:08, ZoiyaKumar wrote:
How about True Astonishments THEN little man LOL
[/quote]

Only if I had $600 to spend on a trick with clay and a box set. I'll prefer just buying a lot of books:D.
Sounds fantastic!
Can we see a video of LITTLE MAN?
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 11, 2009 05:17PM)
Sounds amazing... now I wish I'd saved my money from TA because THIS sounds worthwhile.
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 11, 2009 06:53PM)
Wow... Im very interested in this one!!
Any demos??
Ill prolly be purching this in December if I continue to ehar good things... but I'm sure its good if Paul Harris and Angelo Carbone's names are on it!

Bernardo Rodriguez
Ooh how exciting to see this come to fruition. :)
Holy Mackerel! Is this for real?

Robert
If it's as good as it reads then it's cheap at twice the price, and if Angelo is involved it has got to be MAGIC. I'm looking forward to hearing more about this one.
Sounds awesome! I love Paul Harris!
If it kills everyone in the audience, can we get store credit?
I am sooooooooo buying this. My own little Golem, How did they see into my dreams?
James
Wonder when it'll be released?
There should be a trailer out soon, it is really cool!!!
As I recall, Brother Shadow had an effect like this, but it wasn't this clean.

I can't wait to hear more on this.

Mike
I love animations effects - if this is a smooth and impossible animation I would love to get my hands on this ONE.
Can't wait to see a demo of this
Wow, I'm surprised this finally came to fruition. I thought they might have given up on it.
That's my kinda thing.A video will be great!
I have a feeling the effect will be on PaulHarrisPresent.com

Once I see a video and hear some good reviews...its mine. No questions.

Mine...no one can have it...all mine...
Look away.
Haha
I found the demo of "Little Man." It looks awesome, I hope the trick looks like this in person.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccs6heFwslE

Jeremy
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 10:30, Krazyjay wrote:
I found the demo of "Little Man." It looks awesome, I hope the trick looks like this in person.

Jeremy
[/quote]

;) but COOL!!!!!!!!
Message: Posted by: michaelmystic2003 (Aug 13, 2009 11:20AM)
[quote]

Jeremy
[/quote]

I don't like you.
Oh how predictable and gullible we magicians can be at times. At least it wasn't bad haircuts, shades with an abomination of music in the background
Does it have to be a little guy? For instance could you make just a ball of stuff & have it start to roll slowly across the table...maybe more of a PK angle?

Nathan
[quote]

Jeremy
[/quote]

Much better than I thought! Where do I sign up??? :)
Is the effect that clean? It sounds like a pipe dream.
My uninformed assumption is that the bag is where the dirty workings are if only for a moment. Of course this is absolute speculation. But the beauty of it is the fact that the audience will fully suspect the little man and nothing else. I imagine the gift bag will be a prop that will need some minor justification, but will take little heat. I was hoping the bag we be as unassuming as a paper bag, but it says 'gift bag'. The presentation practically writes itself on this one. Sans review, I stand poised to be the first to order this. A full review will follow. But I will say this... This will be a beautiful effect, I fully trust paul and angelo.
The gift bag will be a plain black bag.
Really, then by description alone, method is lost on me. Further adding to the thrill factor of being the first to place an order. Has anyone seen the effect performed?
NFW!
Heres an interesting tidbit. I was going thru some of my dust collectors and found some of my old booklets by Tony 'Doc' Shiels and Charles W. Cameron. Those of you who know the names know the type of magic. (Macabre and Bizarre and Weird) I was flipping thru the pages of Handbook Of Horror by Mr. Cameron and I came across something that caught my attention. It was an effect called Manikin Macabre. In it a small box with a lump of modeling clay is shown, then the clay is formed into a rough human figure. A Few incantations later (along with a few sleights) the magi stands well away from the clay and...... it takes a step! Then a few more steps and stops. The magi incants some more and then tears the figure apart and rolls it back into a ball of clay. This was printed in the late 1960's.

This does not SEEM as clean as Little Man, But it sounds similiar. I hope that little man uses a different type of gimmick and I hope it is as clean as it says. If so I will buy it. I might buy it anyway as it sounds like a nice effect. HOWEVER.... I have a thought of caution in my own mind.

Just my 2 and a half cents.

Let the flaming begin!!!!! (lol!!)

Poof!

-J-
Like they say, there's nothing new under the sun. :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 22:15, Judah Vee wrote:
Heres an interesting tidbit. I was going thru some of my dust collectors and found some of my old booklets by Tony 'Doc' Shiels and Charles W. Cameron. Those of you who know the names know the type of magic. (Macabre and Bizarre and Weird) I was flipping thru the pages of Handbook Of Horror by Mr. Cameron and I came across something that caught my attention. It was an effect called Manikin Macabre. In it a small box with a lump of modeling clay is shown, then the clay is formed into a rough human figure. A Few incantations later (along with a few sleights) the magi stands well away from the clay and...... it takes a step! Then a few more steps and stops. The magi incants some more and then tears the figure apart and rolls it back into a ball of clay. This was printed in the late 1960's.

This does not SEEM as clean as Little Man, But it sounds similiar. I hope that little man uses a different type of gimmick and I hope it is as clean as it says. If so I will buy it. I might buy it anyway as it sounds like a nice effect. HOWEVER.... I have a thought of caution in my own mind.

Poof!

-J-
[/quote]

Interesting, Judah.
I love magic history and what others did to contribute.
Thanks for the info.
Hey Judah,
Yes, but as you know, since you are privy to the method, it is basically unworkable. A lot of the bizarre magic you read in Invocation are pipedreams.

I would dare say that that version has never been performed.
James
ps
As far as Doug mentioning there is nothing new under the sun, this whole idea of animating a lump of clay goes way back to the bible.

Here is a link if anyone is interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golem

[quote]

Poof!

-J-
[/quote]
I would be hard pressed to disagree with you James. Which is why I HOPE the methods are WAAAAYYYYY different. But Camerons method could be used in a dark, candle lit, chanting in the background, enviroment. As I think it was meant to be used. But you are also correct in that a lot of Camerons, Shiels, Hilfords, Etc effects can be hard to pull off.

Poof!

-J-
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 13, 2009 10:37PM)
Crap, this sounds cool!

Ray
Gumby !!
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 14:23, Nathan Pain wrote:
Does it have to be a little guy? For instance could you make just a ball of stuff & have it start to roll slowly across the table...maybe more of a PK angle?

Nathan
[/quote]

I wanna know the same thing Nate! Anyone with any clue?
Luke
So I have a choice then.
Pay my solicitor fees for the pending divorce or purchase this...

(Maybe I can use this to convince my wife that I'm the devil and she can divorce me?)
Just pre-order it!!
The email suggested it may takes another 2-3 months. Can't wait.

Just wonder if special clay is being used? If so, I hopes that the refill is not that expensive??!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 14, 2009 05:44AM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 22:52, Doug Lippert wrote:
[/quote]

Kind of - EMET
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 00:53, shield wrote:
[quote]

Nathan
[/quote]

Luke
[/quote]

Are you serious? How can you even compare a moving man made out of clay to a rolling ball. The latter or something similar already exists. This is far better.

I knew about the Cameron effect. That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the ad. I hope this is far better though and more practical. It can be played in many ways... bizarre... comedy...
Niva,

I think it may be the difference between a clown & a politician...oh wait.

Nathan

PS If I make a little guy walk...it blows my image...if I make a ball of putty roll...not as much. My image already blows, but that is neither here nor there...
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 20:09, evolve629 wrote:
NFW!
[/quote]

E629,
You naughty woman!! :)

(I said the exact same thing when I read the AD!)

rochaz
They are taking pre-orders now. Little man has the longest wait thought.

60-90 days.
Does anyone remember Mr. Bill from SNL? That is what I will make with this.

And the method is actually very new, cutting edge new. I am not 100% sure but I am betting that they are simply using clay impregnated with a few hundred thousand nanobots (specilized MEMS devices) constructed out of Nitinal (a shape memory alloy) which is powered by the temperature difference between the clay and room temp. (the clay is heated by our hands as we mix it up to make the little guy). You will need a PK ring to align the nanobots after the little guy is made so that they all work together and not randomly, but that should only take a second and can easily be done under cover of "adjusting his legs". The method is basically self working although relatively expensive hence the price tag. This is a great effect but it will only be good for about five more years at which time nanobot technology will be well known and no one will be fooled by this method anymore.

There is of course always the worry that the nanobots will start to reproduce and spread outside of the clay and get loose. If that happens then they will literally tear the world apart in a matter of days. But that is that is the risk we have to take for such a mind blowing effect.
Watch out, it's teh grey goo!!!
Nanobots? sounds really cool. Can't wait to see a demo.
This would make a great trailer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hglVqACd1C8
[quote]
On 2009-08-12 12:52, Michael Peterson wrote:
As I recall, Brother Shadow had an effect like this, but it wasn't this clean.

I can't wait to hear more on this.

Mike
[/quote]

[quote]

Poof!

-J-
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't know why I thought it was Brother Shadow?

Mike
Pre-orders without a demonstration video? They should call this "Leap of Faith".
This is what I think about it:

To me it seems by everyones reactions that this was made to be a magician fooler... Hence the enormous price tag. Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.

I mean don't get me wrong... I think this sounds like a fantastic effect and will be really nice... in fact if I had $300 just laying around I'd probably buy it too... but I'm just trying to be realistic. :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 07:30, niva wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-14 00:53, shield wrote:
[quote]

Nathan
[/quote]

Luke
[/quote]

Are you serious? How can you even compare a moving man made out of clay to a rolling ball. The latter or something similar already exists. This is far better.
[/quote]

Each to their own I guess.

Luke
If you just want to move a little ball of clay then you can do it already by buying PK Putty.

Now making a little man move walk around... I'm interested.

Greg
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 00:08, Sam Weiss wrote:
Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.
[/quote]

If you have small children, this would make you their God. Animating "Play-Doh" WOW.. Haha..
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 00:56, Greg Arce wrote:
If you just want to move a little ball of clay then you can do it already by buying PK Putty.

Greg
[/quote]

exactly my thought.

A famous literature and movie quote came to mind:

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 11:54, niva wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 00:56, Greg Arce wrote:

Greg
[/quote]

exactly my thought.
[/quote]

Which is great if you want to be seated. The blurb says you don't even need to be in the room to make it 'walk'. I was curious as to other applications if making a little man with a heart on his chest walk didn't suit my style. Legitimate question.

Tying it in with a voodoo theme may be fun though!

Luke
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 03:14, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 00:08, Sam Weiss wrote:
Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.
[/quote]

If you have small children, this would make you their God. Animating "Play-Doh" WOW.. Haha..
[/quote]

This is true :) ... I wonder if it's small enough to carry in a pocket.
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 12:16, shield wrote:[/quote]
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 11:54, niva wrote

Which is great if you want to be seated. The blurb says you don't even need to be in the room to make it 'walk'. I was curious as to other applications if making a little man with a heart on his chest walk didn't suit my style. Legitimate question.

Tying it in with a voodoo theme may be fun though!

Luke
[/quote]

I understand the constraints, but I always find it amusing when someone creates and effect then others come onto the Café to ask if it can be done another way. Why don't they just sit down and come up with their own rules and create the effect they want in the first place?

I just think it's kind of funny that someone will create a brand new effect with some startling premise and then soon afterwards someone will chime in with, "I know it's meant to be a card trick, but I'm a coin guy... can you do it with coins?"

It's kind of like someone coming out with a new car and a prospective buyer says, "I ride bikes. Can I take the card apart and just use the wheels on the frame of my bike?"

Greg
Message: Posted by: Bernardo Rodriguez (Aug 15, 2009 12:51PM)
Haha that's priceless and very true...

Bernardo Rodriguez
Greg made the play of the day with that comment, go back for the instant replay if you didn't catch it yet
The more I think about this effect the more I love it. Any videos out yet?

Mike :)
Well said Greg. Apart from that the little man premise has so much theatre in it. First the moulding, then the moulding, the holding and affixing of the heart and finally you blow in it to give it life. I mean just moving a ball or a pen hasn't that much drama and impact as this.

Apart from that I really like the ties to childhood. Who hasn't played with putty in their early years. It reminds me a bit of Juan Tamariz's Toy Car.

Finally, as I already said this can be played in different ways... comedy, bizarre, gospel, romantic (maybe use 2??), poetic... it's hard not to fit your style, whatever your style is.

I can't wait to see and hear more of this.
I smell another 30 page Paul Harris thread before this effects released! :fruity:
How about we all wait for a demo first? So far we are all speculating!
Greg,

I kind of totally disagree with you...which is hard for me to say because I worship you as a god among men.

I think true creativity comes from breaking outside those pretty little boxes we are all put in...when there are 500 guys making their little putty fellas walk around...played out...

I can drive my car down the interstate, but I can also throw down on the racetrack...I would lose but a car is more than a car...in this economy it could be a snazzy home too.

Nathan

PS I skimmed your post...I may be wrong...this is my knee-jerk reaction.

PPS I read it again & I think we are saying the same thing...but if I get it, and I can't, I'm gonna make a ball roll just to spite you :)
Dude, once you get something in your hands then go for it. See if you can change it to meet your needs.

What I was talking about is when someone comes up with something new then people want to change it before they even know what it is or how it works.

Let's say this came out: The Lazarus Effect. You bring up anybody of normal size onto the stage. Not a stooge or a plant. Now you ask the audience to give you one of three ways to kill this person: knife, gun or hanging.
They pick one and you really kill the person. Doctors can examine the person and he's dead. Now you wave your hands over them and they slowly come back to life.

This uses a new technology never before seen. Works completely surrounded. The person can be checked by a physician and they will swear they are dead. Your only restrictions are the person must be anywhere from 150 to 225 pounds and anywhere from 5'5" to 6 feet.

This can be instantly repeated with another person. Nothing to hide, add or take away. You can even do it walkaround.

As soon as this pops up you would get: "Hey, I want to do it with 3 circus midgets. Can I do it that way?" or "I want to use a 400 pound giant? Will it work?" or "Instead of the various deaths mentioned could I incinerate the person down to ashes then make the ashes slowly come together and form them again?"

If you have those kind of ideas then get up off your butt and figure out a way to do them. If you want to be creative then do it with your own ideas. Figure out how you would do stuff.

If I put out a shoe that allows you to run faster than you've ever had don't ask me if I can make the shoe receive TV channels, too. That's not what I made. If you want TV channels in your shoe then go do it.

Now, if you buy my shoe then tinker with it and you can make it receive TV channels then good for you. You've created something.

By the way, your idea that 500 guys will suddenly start doing it probably will never come true. Look at all the new books and effects that come out constantly. When you first hear of them everyone wants to get them and they say that this is the thing that will change their life. This is what they always needed for their act... until the next thing comes out.

Everybody... relax. Wait until it comes out. Buy it. Play with it. See if you can come up with another use for it.

In the 90s I bought Pavel's Walking Knot. I sat and stared at that thing for about a year. I didn't want to do the same routine that everyone was doing. Eventually I came up with something that fit my style and was unlike what others were doing.

I didn't contact Pavel and say, "Hey, I know you made this to be able to cut the rope and move the knot anywhere, but I want to make the rope change color as the knot is moving on its own on the rope. Can it do that? Oh, and I want the rope to suddenly become stiff and I can climb on it like the Indian Rope trick? Can I do that with your rope that you sat around and crafted and came up with a unique way of doing a cut and restored rope? Can I? Can I?"

Oh, and yes you can drive your car anywhere, but that's not what people are asking. It's more like I know your car can drive forward and backwards, but can I do the same thing with it underwater?

Everybody... relax. Wait until it comes out. If you have some creative ideas then start working on them.

Greg
Fair enough...

Nathan

PS Can it do windows?
Now I start to wonder about the performing condition of this effect. Sounds like my thing! Wish it all fit into my pocket.
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 21:04, Greg Arce wrote:
The Lazarus Effect. You bring up anybody of normal size onto the stage. Not a stooge or a plant. Now you ask the audience to give you one of three ways to kill this person: knife, gun or hanging.
They pick one and you really kill the person. Doctors can examine the person and he's dead. Now you wave your hands over them and they slowly come back to life.[/quote]

Dude, that sounds awesome! But can I use it as a card revelation?
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 13:17, Greg Arce wrote:

I understand the constraints, but I always find it amusing when someone creates and effect then others come onto the Café to ask if it can be done another way. Why don't they just sit down and come up with their own rules and create the effect they want in the first place?
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying completely, still I think it's nice that this kind of effect stirs up creativity in us. With many lackluster products being pushed out these days, it's great to see something new (to me at least) and get excited about it and start to wonder "what if"!

Looking forward to a demo. :)

Luke
We have to wait all this long, the least they could do is put a demo up as soon as possible :P
Just a correction on a previous post. It was mentioned that LM will take 10 steps,
it will actually be 6-7. In talking to Paul, the demo is about 3 weeks away to being done. With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
[quote]
On 2009-08-16 10:12, Tom G wrote:
Just a correction on a previous post. It was mentioned that LM will take 10 steps,
it will actually be 6-7. In talking to Paul, the demo is about 3 weeks away to being done. With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
[/quote]

But pre-orders are being accepted now? I'm sure it is a fantastic effect, and will be as described. However taking pre orders without a demo of this product seems to be a bit of an issue if you ask me.

Luke
If this does what it says as cleanly as its stated you will probably be killed for being a witch down here. look up "tokoloshe"
Can't wait for the effect to be released. Sound practical. Gotta wait for the demo
[quote]
On 2009-08-16 12:26, The Mac wrote:
If this does what it says as cleanly as its stated you will probably be killed for being a witch down here. look up "tokoloshe"
[/quote]

Haha, my fiance is from Durban and was only just telling me about the tokoloshe the other day. She used to torment one of the zulu boys she knew by telling him that the tokoloshe would come and take him (this is something she is not proud of course ;) )

Luke
Can't wait to see the demo. I'm a loyal PH fan, but $300 is a lot of $$.

Robert
I never thought I would want to pay so much money for play doh! LOL
Would anyone believe we, magicians, actually do that?
[quote]
On 2009-08-13 22:52, Doug Lippert wrote:
[/quote]

Right..."...the song was always there, I just wrote it down."
Demo should be interesting.
Any news on the Demo ??????
[quote]
On 2009-08-17 12:34, king2262 wrote:
[/quote]

From Tom:
In talking to Paul, the demo is about 3 weeks away to being done. With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
Ok guys just calm down and wait now. Go practicxe something or else this will look like ages away. :)
Paul is teasing us. Common Paul, we need a demo :)
[quote]
On 2009-08-17 13:07, VcosNJ wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-17 12:34, king2262 wrote:
[/quote]

From Tom:
With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
[/quote]
With an advert stating "This is where you have to see the ON-LINE DEMO to experience the devastating wonderfulness of it all"
And pre-orders being taken I think the demo is very important/issue, to me anyway !
Idont want to come across as I'm having a moan ,i can wait, I just posted a simple question asking if there was any news on the demo ! :)
I am getting addicted here. Checking to see if there's a demo everyday.. Paul save us..
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.lol
I can feeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll za hype machine moving and grooving and a rockin and a rolling.lolllllllllllllll

John
Hey Angelo,
A couple questions about this effect, and if answering them compromises the method of the effect, feel free to PM me or disregard this message altogether. 1. Can we use any brand of clay and container? I'd like to use a container that is more familiar, such as play-doh. 2. Does the 'little man' lift his feet to step forward, or is it more of a shuffling action? Either way, I know this wonderful piece will find a happy home in my working set. Thanks Angelo!
I am very excited! I just had my first lab test success! I have been making little play-doh men all week (I am up to littleman #74 now) and I was just able to make #74 take one step forward. Well actually it is more like he fell forward on his face and it took about two hours before that happened. But it looks pretty cool and it is probably more than any of you have been able to do so I have got that going for me.

I think the trick will be getting the right nanobot design as well as the right nanobot to play-doh ratio. Will let you all know if I have anymore breakthroughs.

Oh and one last thought, do you think we will be able to make the littleman moonwalk if we want to?
Thales...

The product page says you can do the effect from another room...so the moon should be no problem.

I am definitly looking forward to a demo of the effect...I just keep thinking that If I don't think about it, it will come.

Anways...Looking forward to news...

-Jacob
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 00:23, AaronishMagic wrote:
I am getting addicted here. Checking to see if there's a demo everyday.. Paul save us..
[/quote]

MY prediction is that the demo is going to be one of those ones that barely shows you anything... it's going to show like two minutes of reactions with maybe a few seconds of the thing walking.

Anyone else think this?
My prediction is that when this finally comes out a lot of people will get it, but then something else will be marketed that makes the same people go, "Wow. I need that!!! That's what I've been waiting for all my life!!" then right after that a book will be talked about and the new thread will begin and people will say, "When can I get the book? I can't wait!!! This will send me over the top!!! Please print it already!!!"

Then.. ad infinitum... ad nauseam... times infinity.

Greg
I look forward to the sequel "Little BIG Man". It uses a larger mound of clay and after it walks you squish Dustin Hoffman.
Greg,

maybe we can collaborate on some material being as we have the same ideas on predicting certain things...

I completely agree with you.
Seeker: I'm not sure if you misunderstood or if you're kidding, but Thales meant the moonwalk like Michael Jackson, where he would slide backwards with his feet.
Usually Paul Harris stuff has a demo. What's happening with these ones?
It's still 90 days away mate that's why...
@ Zacharias. I can't answer your questions as I don't know. Best ask the suppliers of the props.
Patrick:::
Its all in fun. Nothing serious.

Everybody else:::
As we all wait...read any good books?

Hahaha
-Jacob
John, I absolutely agree. As funny as I think it is, I still feel sad for them. They don't realize they are hurting themselves and actually limiting their future careers in this field. If they took the time to read all their books they already have or perfect the effects they already own, they wouldn't need to buy anything else.

I know many that buy every book and DVD that comes out, but then those items just sit there until the next new thing comes out. They seem to be waiting for that ONE magical item that gives them a TV show. It's like they believe that one day someone will actually come out with an effect that really works with magic.... and, of course, it must be sold cheaply and not in limited quantities.

Greg
Lab tests 90-99 used live grasshoppers wrapped in play-doh and were all failures, unless you think having a grasshopper rip out of a play-doh leg is success. All preliminary attempts to train the grasshoppers to cooperate have proved futile and I am abandoning the grasshopper powered Little MAN theory and moving on. Have decided to try using smarter insects. Will report back on how my bee tests go.
Message: Posted by: Gilgamesh_The_Librarian (Aug 20, 2009 02:26PM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 10:36, Greg Arce wrote:
John, I absolutely agree. As funny as I think it is, I still feel sad for them. They don't realize they are hurting themselves and actually limiting their future careers in this field. If they took the time to read all their books they already have or perfect the effects they already own, they wouldn't need to buy anything else.

I know many that buy every book and DVD that comes out, but then those items just sit there until the next new thing comes out. They seem to be waiting for that ONE magical item that gives them a TV show. It's like they believe that one day someone will actually come out with an effect that really works with magic.... and, of course, it must be sold cheaply and not in limited quantities.

Greg
[/quote]

"Too often, however, this desire for something new is merely a rationalization to explain a pell-mell desire to do tricks, tricks, and more tricks, not for the entertainment of spectators , but for the entertainment of the conjurer himself."

Expert Card Technique - first published 1944
I am abandoning all bee tests. Although the bees, when wrapped in the Play-doh, do produce a cool pulsing effect it is impossible to hide the buzzing noise and all methods of palming them have proven ineffective and painful. I am convinced that Paul Harris is not using bees or any other insect to power his Little Man even though he was involved with that Ladybug thing.

Will have to do some more research but I am now thinking that the heart is the key to the method. Maybe it contains a catalyst that starts a simple chemical reaction that drives a mini hydraulics system (e.g. baking soda and vinegar).
Thales,

Have you considered Bleach and Amonia?

hehe

-Jacob
Greg perhaps you are being a bit over drammatic ;)

With that line of thinking why would you come here on the Magic Café and look at such a thread... :P

We are always looking for others things to incorporate in our repertoire otherwise rust. I for one don't like to do the same things over and over and over and... again.

You have to admit that this one is a fresh and different thing.
I made a duplicate post about little man, sorry...I did not know this one existed. I am very excited about this as well. I am all about animation because I am an artist and a sculptor and this is another effect that can mix both worlds and the patter is something that can be changed to fit several moods...and if this is as smooth as it sounds I have no problem paying $300 for it. I anticipate allot of milage out of this for what I will use it for. I am already thinking of how it is done and how I can tear it apart and create other things using similar workings. However since I do NOT know how PH's version works I need to calm down a bit. I cannot wait to see the demo.
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 10:26, John Carey wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 23:57, Greg Arce wrote:
My prediction is that when this finally comes out a lot of people will get it, but then something else will be marketed that makes the same people go, "Wow. I need that!!! That's what I've been waiting for all my life!!" then right after that a book will be talked about and the new thread will begin and people will say, "When can I get the book? I can't wait!!! This will send me over the top!!! Please print it already!!!"

Then.. ad infinitum... ad nauseam... times infinity.Magical consumerism Greg.The sad thing is that many people never make any progress with their magic because they are always thinking about the next new so called miracle being touted on the net.

John

Greg
[/quote]
[/quote]

Sure...and nothing has changed. For decades people both young and old fell in love with magic and more people dabbled in it than became "professional". Did the person who loved magic in 1960 feel any different than the person who loves it now? Did they not get excited about the "new" things back then??? I have seen many of the "old timer" magician get into blows with the young ones on message boards. Whether it was about books... Was the person in 1960 more deserving because it came in book form back then? Or was it about material...be it old school or right now many things have changed and many things stayed the same. There is a market for the at home magician...and those people have to buy the secret no matter how it is packaged. They buy and learn and in the process of "putting it on the shelf" they aquire a knowledge of what works, how advertisers are not always "truthtellers"...remember those amazing adds in the back of comic books..?? LOL. Please there was truth stretching and dreams of being amazing back then. Bottom line then or now you have to experiment until you find things that are YOU. Experience is the best teacher. If you can market an item and in the process get people to entertain with it..and help people find what they might be looking for. Great. Then or now....people bought magic lessons, directions, books or whatever format...because they wanted to impress, they wanted to be a great magician. Even back then...there were many people who felt the trick alone is what would make them known. SO yes, your predicition is correct. However there is actually validity in buying "new" and "bigger" tricks. You grow and learn what works. No different now than in the past.

Anyway....little man looks awesome! Can't wait for the demo.
Is there a demo video for Little Man out yet? This sounds too good to be true.
The squeaky wheel gets the oil.... When's the demo coming?????????????
As posted previously, it's going to be a few weeks out and it's going to be done correctly, with the right people. The effect won't be out for a couple of months,
so there's no real advantage to rushing a demo out.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 24, 2009 03:02PM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 14:53, Tom G wrote:
As posted previously, it's going to be a few weeks out and it's going to be done correctly, with the right people. The effect won't be out for a couple of months,
[/quote]

Then why even start this thread? Is it to get people to start saving money? Is this the marketing plan of advertising something that isn't ready yet?

I am just thinking out loud, and like to know because I have seen this done over and over again here at the Café. I always felt that a marketing campaign is done once the product had been finished and tested. Has this little man been tested and put through the paces of the real world, or are we just getting dreams here and that you HOPE that it will be ready in a few weeks?

Just my 2 cents.
Ray
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 24, 2009 03:25PM)
Nobody gonna ask if it can be done as a clown golem where you bring it to life by sticking on a red blob of clay as a nose?
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 16:02, Magical Dimensions wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Then why even start this thread? Is it to get people to start saving money? Is this the marketing plan of advertising something that isn't ready yet?

I am just thinking out loud, and like to know because I have seen this done over and over again here at the Café. I always felt that a marketing campaign is done once the product had been finished and tested. Has this little man been tested and put through the paces of the real world, or are we just getting dreams here and that you HOPE that it will be ready in a few weeks?

Just my 2 cents.
Ray
[/quote]

In all fairness to Tom, it doesn't appear that he or anyone associated with Paul Harris Presents started this thread. It was started by somebody who was overezoulsy excited about an ad on their site.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 24, 2009 05:44PM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 18:01, Michael Dustman wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 16:02, Magical Dimensions wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

Just my 2 cents.
Ray
[/quote]

In all fairness to Tom, it doesn't appear that he or anyone associated with Paul Harris Presents started this thread. It was started by somebody who was overezoulsy excited about an ad on their site.
[/quote]

Who started the AD on their site? See it is all about marketing. If it isn't ready, then why was the AD on a site? The Ad has done what it was supposed to, because we are talking about it. Someone on the board released the AD, it may as well have been Tom.

So it appears that he or someone associated with Paul Harris placed the AD on another site in hopes of starting talk about it. So directly or in-directly Tom may have started this thread. WOW, funny how things work out if you just look at the facts.

I hope that this thing works because as ALWAYS I see the cart placed in fornt of the horse once again.

Ray
Lab tests 100 to 124 have been very exciting although not very productive as far as understanding the method behind LittleMan. Did manage to blow up an number of Play-Duh men though. In 3 cases the little guy's chest actually erupted sending pieces of Play-Duh and foaming chemicals all over the kitchen. None of them took any steps but to be fair my wife came in during the last test and forced me to hastily abort that test early.

I am starting to think the Play-Duh man is too heavy and so I have ordered a tank of helium for my next set of experiments.
This is kind of ridiculous, isn't it? Paul Harris Presents did not start the thread. And, Tom G is one of the good guys on this forum.

PH Presents is advertising the trick and taking pre-orders. What's wrong with that? It's not a conspiracy.

Robert
I agree. I started this thread because I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I wanted to spread the word to everyone because this is something new. This is the "Latest and Greatest" forum is it not?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 24, 2009 11:08PM)
[quote]
On 2009-08-24 19:56, Robert M wrote:
This is kind of ridiculous, isn't it? Paul Harris Presents did not start the thread. And, Tom G is one of the good guys on this forum.

PH Presents is advertising the trick and taking pre-orders. What's wrong with tha ? ' not a conspiracy.

Robert
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2009-08-24 20:10, VcosNJ wrote:
I agree. I started this thread because I'm excited to see how this one turns out. I wanted to spread the word to everyone because this is something new. This is the "Latest and Greatest" forum is it not?
[/quote]

Lighten up guys, we are just having fun.

The REASON for pre-orders is to GET a REALLY good idea of how many units to make. Making things cost money and no one wants an inventory sitting around their living room if the units exceeds the demand. It is just another marketing method to ensure that cost is in balance with orders.

I figured someone would have said that to me by now.

I heard that little test man number 53 broke one of his little legs and had to be re-rolled into a little clay ball. RIP ...little one .... you will be missed... I only hoped that the little clay men have health insurance and was covered. After all they have rights too! LOL

Ray
It seems to me that all the "squeeky wheeling" going on can only hope to encourage the producers to rush the product to market. I am very interested in this little guy. But I would rather wait 5 years and get something great than 5 weeks and get something half finished.

Brad
Some people never grow up.

- Sam
People need to learn things for themselves. I totally understand about thinking how the next great trick that comes out will make me the best magician ever.I thought that way when I was starting out.

I have learned my lesson & very rarely buy anything new that comes out, I have spent time polishing old favorites & working to improve what I already do.

I used to spend as much time buying magic as I did learning it.

Anyway..........................I still want to see a demo of this little man.

Mike
[quote]
On 2009-08-26 12:33, Michael Peterson wrote:
[/quote]

I've got you beat. I used to spend more time buying magic than learning it. :rolleyes:
[quote]
On 2009-08-27 01:30, Doug Lippert wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-08-26 12:33, Michael Peterson wrote:
[/quote]

I've got you beat. I used to spend more time buying magic than learning it. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Come to think of it, so did I at first ;)

Mike
It sounds too good to be true!! I can't wait for the release!!!
Well, I've just bitten the bullet!

An early birthday present for myself and hope to get delivery just in time for Halloween party season ;)
Well I'm looking forward to it and all I've got to say is: Whether you are religious or not (and I am), patience is always a virtue. I don't know of too many negative things that come from patience, but there are always negative things that come from impatience. Just as that's true in practicing a trick before you try and perform it. It's understandably hard to have patience, but it's always worth it! And I'm not talking about purchasing tricks and effects, because I know sometimes things end up being trash. I'm simply talking about the patience itself.
I was wondering if there were any additional news on Little Man?
Mike :)
Hey, is there a demo?
James
A bit of history...
In the mid 90's John Kennedy came up with some of the best magic ever. Translocation and many more.
John, Tim Conover and myself decided to use John's genius to test a bunch of our friends ability to "keep a big secret."

We created a BS story that John had a new effect called the Tiny Human Being! We described the effect as follows: John shows his hands empty, cups them together for 10 seconds and when he opens his hands there is a little tiny human being dressed in a suit. He raises his arm and waves at you and nods his head. Then John closes his hands again and in a few seconds the little tiny human being is GONE!

So we told this to about 30 friends with the explicit instruction not to tell ANYBODY. It took less than 24hrs. for phone calls to start flooding in with a million questions.

So nobody could keep a secret then either...

Of course our scam worked because everybody knew John could come up with something like this.
We didn't have a demo as there was no YouTube in 1985.

Now back to your original program.

How about using the Ball Vase to hold the clay. I know we need to ask ourselves "What would Skinner have done?"
Forget Little Man.... I WANT TINY HUMAN BEING!!!! Will this be offered by Bob Kohler Productions!!!!? Can I do it in walkaround? Can the Tiny Human act as a holdout? Could I paint it red to match my sponge balls? I do a dove act so can I glue feathers on the Tiny Human? What do you think it will be priced at? Is it easy to replace? Do I need any special equipment? I need him to be smaller than 4 inches so do you make custom sizes? Can he be a Fat Tiny Human? Will he survive if I leave him in a Lippincott Box for over a hour? Will you make tiny illusions I can use on him? Is there a way of making him instantly grow into a lifesize human? I won't buy it if it requires any sleight of hand! Can he learn to do impressions? Does he have to be wearing a suit? Can he be wearing a leather thong, sandals and a pinwheel hat? Can I get a whole family of Tiny Humans? When he vanishes do I need a pull or a topit? Is he also immortal or will I have to rebuy him again? And, if so, are the replacements cheaper since I'll have all the rest of the gimmicks? Can I dress him as a clown and use him at children's parties? Do I have to diaper him? Speaking of that, what is his diet like? I don't want to own a vegetarian! Do you have a Kosher Tiny Human?

Thanks.

Oops, I forgot the most important thing: I need to see a demo and have at least a hundred people buy it and give a review before I purchase this... so can you make that happen.... NOW!!!!

Well, I'm going back to my uncreative life, but if I come up with more questions for you I'm sure you'll be sitting by your computer ready to answer them all.

:rotf:

Greg
Sounds amazing. Really wanna see a demo tho.
So do folks have to leave the room for the two minute reset?
Can that two minutes be spent under the table doing another routine?
Can they bring their own playdoh?
What if a child eats the little man?
Little MAN by Paul Harris sounds good.

Is there a DEMO? I would like to see an uncut performance demo, if there is one.

No demo - No buy - No money.

:xmas:

P.S. :) ;)
[quote]
On 2009-08-19 00:23, AaronishMagic wrote:
[/quote]

I don't know why, but when I read the most posts in this topic and I see the number of pages this topic has already reached for a trick that isn't there and will not be in a short time, I involuntary must think at a similar phenomenon the last weeks, called "crossroads".

The result: not for all but surely for many: a big dissapointment.