(Close Window)
Topic: IDeck by Noel Qualter
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 15, 2009 08:15PM)
Hello all!

Just arrived home from a gig, and did what most other Magicians do after arriving home in the early hours...surf the net for Magic! Something caught my eye on the Alakazam site, though it isn't or sale yet as it's not listed on their website, however I am sure one of the guys will chime in soon, but I did find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fBQw-YeOw and remember a thread on the Café about how great a trick it is...well, I really can believe that from the demo!

(Not sure if this is meant to be posted yet as I did find it accidentally...so sorry if I shouldn't have said anything)

Enjoy!
I don;t think you'll get in trouble. it's on youtube. it's public. anyways, this seems really cool. (I won;t be getting it though because I just can;t see me doing it)
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Aug 16, 2009 08:32AM)
Yea realised that, but sometimes people don't want it out there as public knowledge just yet. Think Peter and the guys are at Magic Live so can't comment, but hopefully someone will. I think it looks great
Kinda cool.
I wonder how many songs it actually plays.
I know peter pretty well and the last time I spoke to him it was in production and will probably be out later this year.
In fact Alakazam took a very limited number of these to MAGIC Live to sell on their dealer stand. Noel Q is out there as well, so no doubt will be demonstrating it to the movers and shakers.

I would expect it to be on general release by the end of this month, as soon as the Alakazam team get home.

I have been using it for a couple of years, since Noel first made me one, and it is an absolute killer effect for the right audience. There are so many pleasing little details that have been designed just perfectly for this trick that it is the kind of performance piece that puts a smile on your face as soon as you introduce the props, since you know what is coming...

Also, it is not the same song every time, so it can be repeated at the same gig without fear of any of the method becoming apparent.

All in all, I think the iDeck would be a very strong addition to the repertoire of any close-up performer.

Cheers,

ME
RELEASE DATE: LATE SEPTEMBER 2009

that's in the description of the video to your right. Looks interesting.
When this comes out... no doubt about it... I'm getting it. I could SO use this table hopping.

I hope it's a free selection.
It's a cool trick. Noel showed this to me at the IBM/SAM convention last year. Good stuff!
"iPod shuffle"... I enjoyed that. :)

It seems like a nice effect, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of the reveal. Wish him all the best with it though!
This looks interesting, I wonder if it is like Everything's a Radio by Geoffrey Williams ?

Mike
This looks kinda cool, I might get it.
[quote]
On 2009-08-17 13:56, Michael Peterson wrote:
This looks interesting, I wonder if it is like Everything's a Radio by Geoffrey Williams ?
[/quote]

I too think the same. :)

:xmas:
I think it looks cool but my main concern is, if you can put the actual headphones in your ears or if they must dangle like that. The reason I would be concerned is in most restaurant settings, it's not really the most quiet of places. Infact, most of the places I perform have quite a substantial amount of noise. Would it be heard by the spectator? If not, the reveal of the trick could be really ruined and really anticilmactic.

besides this concern, I think it looks rather cool!

Jamie Daws
[quote]
On 2009-08-18 05:34, JamieD wrote:
I think it looks cool but my main concern is, if you can put the actual headphones in your ears or if they must dangle like that. The reason I would be concerned is in most restaurant settings, it's not really the most quiet of places. Infact, most of the places I perform have quite a substantial amount of noise. Would it be heard by the spectator? If not, the reveal of the trick could be really ruined and really anticilmactic.

besides this concern, I think it looks rather cool!

Jamie Daws
[/quote]

Could be way off here, but I'm guessing the headphones are pretty much for visual effect only, and the device will be about as loud as the small playback unit found in greeting cards.
This is now available for pre-order on Alakazam and will be out mid-October.
[quote]
On 2009-08-15 21:15, Christopher Williams wrote:
I am sure one of the guys will chime in soon, but I did find this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85fBQw-YeOw
[/quote]

That video has been taken down. A new video taken at Magic Live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fL3rYgpGu4
Thanks for the link, Doug. I was in one of the shoots, cool to see it made the final cut (the first and last segment, also starring Spencer Peterson, Tony Chang, Chris Mayhew, Karl Hein and Tyler Wilson).
I liked the idea of using a pack of song cards along with an iDECK card box. The idea certainly is very creative and will play big with audience of any age group.

The hooking of the earphone speaker lead is a unique & novel idea. This instantly draws the attention of the other spectators.

Good variation to an old effect.

What an interesting idea that combines current trend in a clever way. Good job!
IWant an iDeck :)
I cabndefinitely plug this into my program.
We are hoping to release the Ideck Mid September although we do have it up already for pre sell
http://alakazam.co.uk/index.phppage=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=12351&category_id=50&keyword=ideck&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14 . I have been playing with the components of the trick, which have all been custom made, for a while now and can answer a few questions hear.
Firstly the sound unit is custom made and not like something you would find in a greetings card. I have used the Ideck in noisy surroundings with no problem.
Secondly any of the songs supplied can be used as the out.
Thirdly the trick is instantly repeatable with a differant outcome.
Lastly every time I have used it it gets a great reaction.
Regards Mark Gray
Mid September should read Mid October
Regards Mark
Very helpful info. Those were definitely the answers people were hoping for. Sounds like a quality prop.
Message: Posted by: TheTableTopTrixta (Aug 27, 2009 12:09PM)
This will be great, the quality of the ideck was great last year when I saw Noel do it , I can only imagine how good the quality is now!

seriously this is a great, modern, differnt effect

props to Noel for thinking outside of the box!

this will be in my act right away a perfect walk around effect and priced very well I would say to cheap to be honest, and I don't normally say that!

Regards
Ash Turner
All I can say is, comercial, comercial, comercial!! I want one now!!
Commercial, easy to perform, instantly repeatable and something a bit different too. I like the sound of it a lot. My order is in.
I just preordered it.

Cant wait!

For those who want it, you might want to preorder, because after the first batch runs out, they wont have any more until after the New Year!

Thanks
Alex
After seeing the demo video I have a suggestion.

As seen in the video, after the music card has been selected by the spectator, all the cards go back into the card case.

For better spectator participation during performance, I would suggest that at the back of the case you have a slot (with a transparent window) for the selected music card to go in.

The selected card is pushed into the slot (similar to putting a selected audio cassette/ CD in a real player) by the spectator and hence the iDECK player is made ready to play the selected music. After all the card case is like a real player for the music cards. :) ;) With this, a slight change in presentation might be needed.

Just a suggestion.

P.S. I understand that in the video presentation the patter is based on the iPOD's song shuffling technique. With the card slot the patter will need to be changed. But this will help increase spectator participation (though just a little), which is important when performing close-up (very close) magic.
This is really great, btw does anyone know if the result can be a different song??
[quote]
On 2009-08-27 10:53, IDOMAGIC2 wrote:
...any of the songs supplied can be used as the out.
Thirdly the trick is instantly repeatable with a differant outcome.

[/quote]
The ad copy says that you can do this with over 25 different songs.
[quote]
On 2009-08-29 12:59, Nico Zottos wrote:
[/quote]

I imagine that 25 is also the number of "song cards" in the deck.
Alakazam's U.S. site has this listed on the home page, but the link doesn't seem to be working for info or pre-ordering ("Product Not Found"), in case anyone from Alakazam is reading this thread.

e
Is it possible to use this as an actual ipod?
Mike,

I don't think that's possible.

But then again I am not really sure.

I preordered from ALAKAZAM UK, I ran into the same problem Eric had on USA site.

Alex
OK thanks Alex. I will probably preorder anyway. If I can use it as an ipod that will be a brucey bonus as I like a lot of the music that is on it.
This looks great ..... I think this will end up being a great hit for 2009
It looks commercial, fun and different but I hope the selection of the song isn't a simple card f+++e which it looks like on the demo. Cause if the choice of the spectator is that limited I guess its not for me.

Ezzet
I have just seen that Noel is selling with free shipping! Reeeaaal nice!

http://www.tricktrickboom.com
Hi folks, iDeck is my trick and I just thought I'd drop in and say thanks for all the kind comments about the trailer and for those who've seen it live. iDeck has been in the making for nearly 2 years and Alakazam have done a terrific job putting the bits together and making it exactly as I wanted it.

[quote]
On 2009-08-29 12:59, Nico Zottos wrote:
[/quote]

There are 32 song cards.

You can pre-order them from me as well at http://www.tricktrickboom.com

Noel
Hi Noel you should have received my preorder :)

Paypal from yourpal (funnymagic)
Looks sweet as. I'm always looking for new things I can do for the guys at work and they are all Apple fanatics so I just preorder it from tricktrickboom as I like to support the creator.
I've known Noel since he was knocking around his first magic gigs (remember the ketchup bottle at Tescos?) and I'm pleased to be able to pre-order from him.

Knowing Alakazam and Monster Creations, you can bet it'll be a really well presented and packaged effect.
My preorder is in! Ticky tricky boom!
Kasrani (the Assyrian entertainer from Bournemouth) showed me this and I was impressed. Great trick.
I have preordered this, Nice work noel and the alakazam crew.
Hi Noel
When will idecks be shipping?
Mike
Mid-October is the planned release date.

Cheers,

Noel
I was lucky enough to see the iDeck develop from very early on. As soon as Noel showed my the box I didn't care about the trick as I just loved the concept. It is now a solid piece of entertainment and good magic rolled into one. Get one (and maybe a spare) so Noel can be encouraged to put out some of his other ideas! He is very creative and one of his other ideas is going to seriously rock the mentalism world!!!
Thanks Noel, looking forward to receiving a knock on the door from mr postman!
I just preordered iDeck this week. This is the first effect in a while that the promo video has sold me on it. Very excited to start using this. :D
^^me too....very entertaining....
I'm glad you like the demo of the trick guys, Russ Stevens did a great job producing it. I see so many demo tricks that are very heavily edited to the point it looks like video stills with bullet points in between. iDeck is a trick from my working repertoire, I do it all the time and I know there is nothing to hide so you can enjoy the full performance in the demo video.
WOW, this is really great!! I would probably buy this just for the "i-pod shuffle" gag, love it!!
My pre-order is in and really excited to receive this one. Should be a fantastic commercial trick for walk around as it is related to one of the biggest fads at the moment. People love anything related to Apple and ipods at the moment. It won´t be the type of effect to blow away fellow magicians but I am sure it will be a huge hit with the lay people.
Shipping Today! Slick, fast turn around from the Alakazam team.

Jamie Daws
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Sep 30, 2009 07:49AM)
And has been reviewed :)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=332136&forum=109&5
Excellent, just received mine in the post today and I did not expect it until mid October. Sent special delivery which is much appreciated, especially with postage being free. Can not wait to start playing with this, everything looks great.
I have had the pleasure to see many of Noel's magical effects. I've been waiting for the ideck for ages and I've finally ordered mine. Oh and if you like that, wait till you see what he comes up with next... I have...
Alakazam shipped my IDECK on Sep. 30th from England to the USA.

I havent gotten it yet.

Hope it shows up today or early next week.

Thanks

alex
It should be there soon. Im on the east coast and I usually get things from the UK in around two weeks.
I received my ideck yesterday and got playing with it immediately ready for last nights gig.

I'm very fussy about what goes into my repertoire and into my pockets. This will be with me always!

It's every bit as much fun to perform as it is to watch. The reactions are not overwhelming but very satisfactory. I would definitely suggest this as an opener as it raises immediate curiosity and removes any 'Who are you and what do you want's' from your invasion on spectators.

It's the kind of trick that makes people like you and sets up your act nicely.

I would also suggest asking the spec to sing the song in their minds for a few seconds BEFORE attaching the headphones. This covers the song intro and the little move to get the song playing. Then time the end of the song with pulling the heaphones off, this creates another magical moment which adds plenty to the routine.

Twice during the evening my specs pressed the PAUSE button on the sticker. Thankfully I was quick enough to switch the music off. It wouldn't have mattered if the music carried on because the trick doesn't rely on that mindset, but by ending the music it added masses to their enjoyment of the effect and puzzled them even more.

For the money this is a top notch, modern, USEABLE, effect.

I'm wandering around at a trade show next week and will definitely be approaching people with this.

Well done Noel.

OK well I live in Mexico, and have my items ship to the USA.

I was told that it arrived last Wednesday from my sister, so I got it in exactly 7 days.

I wont have it until October 30th, since that's the next time I will go to the States.

Wait I must.....

Alex
2009 trick of the year!
Can you purchase extra gimmick (dont want to be too specific as to not give anything away)
Glad you folks are enjoying iDeck and thanks for the comments and emails.

Extra gimmicks will be available to purchase in the future...hopefully around January.

Cheers,

Noel
Definitely trick of the year! I use it on someone almost every day! Especially because I work in the graphics industry, most people I know use Apple products, so iDeck is very relevant in my life. As well, I ordered it directly from Noel, and he got it from England to me here in Canada in less than a week! 10/10, a must buy, even for a hobby magician like myself!
Other than what appears to be a force what slieghts are needed?
I have PM'd you.

Noel
http://www.tricktrickboom.com
Hi Noel! Nice to see you on the forum! I used the iDeck again today with some people that have seen it before, and others that haven't. I used a different way to "help" them with their song selection (so those that have seen it before won't catch on to anything), and BLEW THEM ALL AWAY! The funny thing is, my headphones detached from the iDeck, and stuck on a nearby lamp, near an Apple computer. The specs noticed, and said "hey, the music is still playing, but the headset isn't even attached to the unit!" LOL! I told them, that my co-workers Mac must be running iTunes, and is playing the music through my headset. They THOROUGHLY examined the headphones AND the box and cards and couldn't figure it out. I love this one! Especially because it is pretty instantly repeatable (which I have done when the specs want more). My favourite part today was that someone entered the room after my performance and asked what song was played. They expected the trick to play the same every time (Elvis for him last week, Amy Winehouse this aft) I can't say enough about this one . . . ;-)
Great story! I'm really glad you are having fun with it and that your audiences are getting a real kick out of it as well :)

I've got a few left in stock and after that I'll be out for a while.

Noel
Is anyone else having the problem of accidently setting "it" off when performing another trick.
If so have you found a remedy, I have tried various positions for the you know what, but it still happens occasionally.
Anyone got any ideas it is still a great trick
I've pm'd you Rowland.
In my case, as soon as I hear the initial few seconds of nothing playing accidentally, I am able to stop it before anyone hears anything. But, I am a one trick at a time pony, so I only have it set up when I am ready to perform it . . .
I just ordered mine early this morning; MJM had to order it since it was out of stock! :( but I am very anxious to receive this; very bright idea Noel! this will knock em' dead at my new years party :)
Not if it's a noisy party!
But this is a good idea.It's just at some venues that have music too loud [hey I'm old] the 'punch' gets lost.
Does anyone still have this? I have some questions regarding the setup. Feel fee to answer using PM.