(Close Window)
Topic: Johnson precision magic's 'the mint'
Hello there.

Can anyone tell me about Johnson's 'The Mint'?

http://johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=102

Is there a demo of it anywhere? How clean looking is the routine?

Thanks for your help.
I used to love performing this trick. Theres also a great version of this trick in plastic with different color gems that I used to use as a lead in to Hot Rod.

The Mint Looks like this. you start off w/ a cube of silver. You roll the cube between your hands and it smooths out and changes into a ball of silver. You then smash your hand against the al and it flattens out into a disc. You then squeeze it and it changes into a coin.
This is one of my favorite effects. I don't practice it too much lately but whenever I do I have a good time. When handled smoothly it can be one of the most magical effects you've seen. To me its what magic should look and feel like. If anything its one of the more inexpensive and worthwhile purchases you can make. It gives you a huge playground of creative routining to work in and if you're lover of silky sleight of hand, it will be a real learning experience in practice.

Michael
It is made really nicely and very visual. If you are good at switches you can do this. If you have a Topit you can end very cleanly.

TC
Do you need many sleights to make the changes from one shape to the other? TC and Michael mentioned switches and silky sleights, Do you guys feel this is for a beginner, or for a more skilled person

Thank you

Pablo
Pablo...this is pure sleight of hand. You want your best sleight skills with this.

A simple Bobo Vanish works, but it is good to know the Shuttle Pass, Utility Switch, and other coin sleights just to have the immediate chops. There are shortcuts, but I don't recommend them.

A beginner COULD do this with the required practice. This, however, is a challenge to the coin magic experts. A person with good l***ing skills could do this at a table, or, standing (providing you know a good ditch), but this is an effect with which to do your best!

And the effect that started this one? Gem Busters!

You start with a clear plastic cube with a different color gem on each side, roll it into a ball, and slap it on the table, ending in a disc with the gems all around it. Love it!

Doug
Thank you Doug, I will pass on this one.

Pablo
Yes Gem busters, I couldn't remember the name of that trick. Thanks for reminding Dougini. I was thinking about that trick when I saw this post.

TC
Yes a beginner can do this trick. There is a lot of pocket management that will be needed to work out the trick. The product comes with a gimmick to make the cube into the ball. But a purse palm, finger palm and shuttle pass are all necessary. Please never discourage a “beginner” from something. The more they work the better they will be. The product is worth your purchase.

Ben
I've wanted this for a long time, and it is still on my list..I agree it
must be fun practicing this one...
Generally, the effect is a very long lead into a coin routine rather then a stand alone piece. This could be a nice change from the standard four coin productions used.

Ben
[quote]
On 2009-08-22 22:45, hpcman wrote:
...(snip)...The product comes with a gimmick to make the cube into the ball. But a purse palm, finger palm and shuttle pass are all necessary...(snip)...The product is worth your purchase.

Ben
[/quote]

I trashed the square with the hole in it and tiny ball, and replaced it with a larger chrome ball bearing. It's easy just to do a Bobo Switch, and either Lap (sitting), or, as you said, use pocket management or a topit.

I was just messing around with Gembusters the other day. What a neat little plexi wand that comes with that!

Doug
I like Chad Long's take on this effect. He uses a candy cane that gets rolled into a candy mint ball and then smashed flat. Objects everyone knows from Christmas or the candy store.
Chad Long is GREAT! His three coins across routine on Youtube is phenomenal!

Doug
I found this while browsing the Theory 11 media.

http://media.theory11.com/2245-theMINT

Vinny
Vinny,

Thanks for posting my video. The Mint really is a great effect when performed properly.

Here is a larger higher res. version of the video: http://www.thementalplayground.com/mint.html
Nice routine. I may have to pull mine out again and play with it.

Cheers!!

TC
BRodgers, that is the best work I've seen so far on The Mint! Ha! I LOVE to be fooled!

Doug
Yah, gem busters was one of my first tricks as a kid...it looks really amazing if you put a bit of practice in...
Anyone have a used set they want to unload? PM me.
Mods, apologies if this should be in the for sale section...
Krintz
Nevermind... I bought one new!
Hey, I taped a little magnet inside the gaff. Anyone who has this should try it. Now, ditching is easier, and there's another benefit, which I won't get into here (and I won't tell you what the gaff is, either :) If you own this, try the magnet, and you'll see what I mean.
BTW, you can get some really cheap small magnets at K&J Magnetics... google it.
Awesome routine! Thank you for sharing.