(Close Window)
Topic: Derren going against his advice?
I was shocked to see this video. In his book Absolute Magic, doesn't he come down on performers who make cheap jokes about those in the "cheap seats"? I think he even gave an example pretty close to the exact joke he makes here. And he says one of the audience members looks like a tramp (or something like that). Surprising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWIcWJmtHQ&feature=related
I didn't click n the video but it could be attributed to his British sense of humor...

Nathan
As well as what Nathan has said, it probably has a lot to do with the setting and context. It's a charity event so it's a much more laid back situation, with people that aren't necessarily paying, or in this case donating money, to see him. You have a fair point though, however, I think Derren's delivery and charisma lets him get away with it and it wasn't necessarily in bad taste.
Coor blimey Guv'nah!

People often say one thing and do the other, just look at polititians.

Maybe he changed his mind, maybe he doesn't really care. At the end of the day, the audience laughed at the joke so it payed off.

Pip pip, what, what my good man!

Jolly good!

Peace & Love

M
And there's plenty of scope for getting into trouble with a British sense of humour, believe me
There is also a distinction to be made between aiming jokes at people in a close up environment (or up on stage) with directing them at an audience member that can't be seen. I think the 'tramp' joke was done with taste, and it was funny.

That said, I remember Derren asking a lady if she was bullied at school, when she was on stage, and I found that a bit mean, and unusual for him too.
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 07:13, Jonathan wrote:
I was shocked to see this video. In his book Absolute Magic, doesn't he come down on performers who make cheap jokes about those in the "cheap seats"? I think he even gave an example pretty close to the exact joke he makes here. And he says one of the audience members looks like a tramp (or something like that). Surprising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWIcWJmtHQ&feature=related
[/quote]

It's all context and environment. You have to be able to sense when the time is right.

j
I really can't really see why anyone would get upset about this. The only thing you can expect of a joke is that it's funny.
Exactly :)

Anyway, Johnathan don't take all say Derren to first degree !
The first rule in show biz is "there are not rules"
It's remenber me a man who told to me just before a show :"
What ! you don't wear a tie, but you have to , you haven't read the David Stone's book ?! he wrote you must have a tie to work !"
In reality Stone almost never wear a tie when he works...
So, don't mix-up what he has wrote and what he does :)
To be fair he was performing at a "comedy" show .. as in people were expecting humour far more than magic.... I guess he just filled the role he would have been expected to play?..
Although Derren wrote Absolute Magic he has never actually taken the time to sit down and read it. Which is a shame. There are many good ideas within its pages, many of which Derren could learn and grow from.
Actually, to answer my own question, I would imagine those people in the audience paid quite a lot for those tickets so they wouldn't be poor and thus the line wouldn't be in poor taste.

I watched "the gathering" recently for the first time and he had an easy shot with the woman saying "africa" when asked to choose a country. He could have nailed her for a laugh, but didn't. So, he knows when not to (not sure I could have restrained myself).
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 12:30, Jonathan wrote:
Actually, to answer my own question, I would imagine those people in the audience paid quite a lot for those tickets so they wouldn't be poor and thus the line wouldn't be in poor taste.

I watched "the gathering" recently for the first time and he had an easy shot with the woman saying "africa" when asked to choose a country. He could have nailed her for a laugh, but didn't. So, he knows when not to (not sure I could have restrained myself).
[/quote]

By jove .. I think you've got it !!!!
I think Brown's funniest line was "Out poud, please. I'm not a f*****g mind reader!" :lol:
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 12:30, Jonathan wrote:

[/quote]

I recall that. My first thought was "she doesn't look like Sarah Palin!"

I concur with what's been said; he has developed a sharper tongue/wit (in performance), in recent years. I think it's great, as his use of cutting lines is quite selective and, as a result has the added element of surprise. I wonder how much of this is the Nyman influence?
His previous advice about not "making fun" or insulting the audience seems to be much more influenced by Andy's line of thought in this area. Now-a-days I think Derren feels more free to be himself.
One can safely get away with saying and/or doing all sorts of things that lacking the situation, venue, audience and context as well as inflection, facial expression and gesture -- all of which reflect attitude and are impossible to properly portray via the written word -- would be inappropriate in other situations.
[quote]
On 2009-08-20 12:57, Jon_Thompson wrote:
I think Brown's funniest line was "Out poud, please. I'm not a f*****g mind reader!" :lol:
[/quote]
Oh flipping heck! That should be "loud", not "poud" as eny fule kno...
[quote]
It's all context and environment. You have to be able to sense when the time is right.

j
[/quote]

Exactly!!! If you know the rules, you can break the rules!

Anyway, I don´t like those old stupid jokes.

Pete
I must say, that was one of the best "wich hand routines" ive every seen. I loved how he got the who audiance involved. that made a simple trick into a mega trick. wow that was impressive.
Agreed Blake. I remember seeing him perform this several years ago in Belfast and I must say it was a great moment of audience participation. I like how in the clip his statements behind the thought process of the audience actually rang true, as he eliminated the majority of the audience in a premeditated fashion, as if he expected them to choose the hand they did. I'm sure there is "some" truth to what he says in the routine, but I think it was a definite convincer when he did the above.
But look at the rating layman gave it on youtube. It might be brilliant to us, but I don't think it went over as well for muggles.
It's only been given a rating by 7 people, and they're not all necessarily muggles either. In fact the only comment is more than likely by a magician, and probably a jealous one at that...
Is it me or did Derren fall foul of Mr. Frost's defiance in thinking of his 'place'? The result of which seems to be a 'wink' to Derren's watchers by way of a thought of SHORT word beginning with C which suddenly got longer but presumably incorporated the short word.

Sounds complicated - but watch the interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LqZHyANzns&feature=related (sorry don't know how to do a proper link)

I laughed anyway!

[quote]
On 2009-08-21 00:13, Jonathan wrote:
But look at the rating layman gave it on youtube. It might be brilliant to us, but I don't think it went over as well for muggles.
[/quote]

I think that is probably accurate. If Derren farted on live TV many on here would think it was a highly planned and effective strategy. And would love it.

The general public just don't care that much. Its passing TV.