(Close Window)
Topic: Who are you, what do you do, how do you do it?
Hello everyone! Just curious, interested in hearing what you have to say, how would you reply to these questions?

Ive heard the I'm a mentalist, and I use 5 sences to create the illusion of a sixth type thing.

does anyone do anything different?

Who are you? What do you do? And how do you do it?

For example in my case, if I'm asked who I am, I say I am not a magician, if I'm asked what I do, I just say its easier to show then explain, if I'm asked how to explain how I do what I do I just say I cant, I explain my abilities are a result of head trauma I experienced at the age of 10, I was hit by a car while riding my bicycle and flew 30 feet into the air and landed on my head, (true story) I awoke with a headache and telepathic abilities that I finetuned through practise

So I use the head-trauma excuse, I bearly graduated high school no one would believe I can influence people via. psychological technique

If you are a psychological illusionist what do you say? If you are a remote viewer what do you say?

I guess I'm just curious to hear what people are doing these days, and how they explain how they are doing what they do! I think a few years ago NLP was fashionable and body language reading was the trendy thing to do.
WOW, what a story you have!

J
Hey John! I just wish I could have been luckier, if I was hit by lightning instead of by a car I could use that as a better story for my abilities! But you call yourself an intuitionist right? See, I like that one, I havent heard anyone else use it, if you were pressed to the wall, do you have a standard explaination for how you do what you do?
Your story is fine and--imo--better than the lightning alternative. Stephen King's "The Dead Zone" featured a protagonist who got his abilities in a car accident and head trauma (resulting in a long coma from which he emerged with his abilities). You could keep this bit of info in your back pocket to bring up when the situation is appropriate.
Hey Garrette! Thank you for your feedback! Its definetly back pocket!
When I did my Inner Walnut show many years ago, this is what I had in the program:

"A brief history of what I do and why… when I was eight I fell three stories onto a very hard lobby floor… no kidding. I woke up in a pool of my own blood and my mother screaming for help. Months later I started noticing vivid dreams that had the feel of a series of deja vous experiences… they came true. I also noticed strange things going on in my mind. Years later I studied psychology and developed a small grasp of how the mind works… especially mine. Do I have an explanation for what is happening in my inner walnut? No. Do I consider myself a psychic? No. But I do some strange things that freak people out. Tonight I will try some of these things. Why? I like freaking people out."

By the way, the story of falling three stories is absolutely true.

Greg
WOW! Greg thank you for sharing, Inner Walnut, that's so awesome, I get it, this reads so well, I think this is so well written!

Sorry to hear about the fall, I can relate, but seriously I really, really liked your what I do and why!

Personally, if someone walked up to me and told me something like this I would instantly like the person, a story about falling would establish rapport, I would appreciate the explanation and I would feel that a fall/ training in psychology is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the things I am about to see! If someone dident give me an explanation I would come up with my own and no matter what they did, I might think it was trickery even if it isn't.

Even just reading this got me curious to see how freaked out ill be! Like, this is interesting, humourous, grabbed my attention, personally I think its a perfect explanation!

You know, I was listening to an arnold soundboard and that's what sparked this thread. I heard the "who is your daddy, what does he do?" quote and I laughed out loud but I then thought what if someone asked me that?

So Ive listened to interviews with Geller and if he's asked what he IS, nowadays, I hear he says Mystifier, there are also paranormalists, so those kind of titles answer what they are, but if you are a mystifier what do you do, and how? I guess mystify, but how do you mystify?

A paranormalist, how does he/she explain what they do? A mindreader can say he reads minds, but how? then its either psychology, or magic, or paranormal, etc,

Do I have an explanation? No, do I consider myself psychic? No, you do things that freak people out, see, I like this too because if you say your psychic some people will want to catch you out, if you say mindreader, some people will want to catch you out, if you don't give them an explanation, you wont say something that is contrary to thier pre established framework of beliefs and the person will be want to work with and not against you! And freaking people out isn't a crime!

Man, I jsut really liked this one!
If someone asks me what I do, if I am psychic, etc... I simply look at them and say "that's up to you to decide."

If someone asks me what I do, I will say "I actually don't really know, people interpret what I do in different ways and it is all up to you to decide. Some people call me a mentalist, others a magician, others a psychic, others a mind jedi, etc.. I am not here to claim or convince you of anything, I am simply showing you something that you will interpret yourself and hopefully decide what you feel it means."
Actually I call myself a Paranormalist and have a funny line to go with it, but I won't be giving it up here. As some have already told me, once my line gets out there I'm sure it will be "used" by others.

Greg
I simply say "I'm a mind reader". It's intriguing and people have an idea of what that is. The next common question is "okay, so what am I thinking now?" for which I, too, have a line which I will keep to myself to keep it from being used by others. It's one that I thought about for a long time and one that I'm very proud of.

-rob
FWIW, head trauma at a young age is also liked to becoming a serial killer in adulthood.

Well, it IS...

~Kevin Burke
[quote]
On 2009-09-07 03:51, KBLV wrote:
FWIW, head trauma at a young age is also liked to becoming a serial killer in adulthood.

Well, it IS...

~Kevin Burke
[/quote]

Dude, you don't know how close you are to the truth. :stare: :evilgrin:

Greg
I used to do the psychological route as I have a background and qualifications in psychology, but I have gone back to my roots recently and now I'm just making reference to the few years I was a teenage medium (shuteye) and a key member of a cult. It's way more interesting that the psychological thing these days, I find. But that is just me. It suits me, as it is my real background.
Drezmagic, I like the "you decide for yourself" route!

r1z08, I totally agree with you, calling yourself a mindreader is very intriguing, a mindreader obviously reads minds so the spectator at least has an idea of what they are about to experience, I would do it if I could, and I might one day down the road, but for now, I am so insecure in my abilities to be that up-front with it, when I get the what am I thinking now I dident have a good "line", all I could do was say "hold one a sec, I'm trying to get a read on you here" (while I slap on a swami), otherwise, I couldn't make it work,

KBLV, Its so funny you mention that, I am also familiar with that stat! I also think its true, if my car is broken into 1 more time I just might become one!

Psychicturtle! I think your story is very interesting, and I think its awesome you tied in your abilities with your actual life history! It makes stretching the truth easier!

You know its funny, Ive been a member for about 2 weeks I guess, and I must have used the search button 10000 times but seriously I cant believe how helpful everyone here is (im guilty for generalising, I know) but really, thanks for the feedback, mentalists, paranormalists, mindreaders, psychics, mediums, youve definetly been very helpful and full of sound advice!

Thanks guys!
This reminds me of something Max Maven said a long time ago. He said when he watches a magic performance, he asks himself, "Who is this person, what do they do, and why should I care?"

Usually, all of those things are implied in a Magic and Mentalism performance. But, I suppose, if you can literally explain them in your show and have the audience buy into it, great. Answering these questions for yourself is important. Answering them for your audience is everything.
Hey CC! Thanks for sharing that quote, I really like that one

"Who is this person, what do they do, and why should I care?", and I agree, most of the time it could or shoudl be implied, but if not, like you say, if you can explain and they buy into it, great!

Answering these questions was tough, what am I? what am I doing? How do I do it?

Do you have a story? If you were asked who are you and what do you do and how, what would you say?
Who are you?

I am a tarot reader.

What do you do?

I help people get from where they are to where they want to be. I also help people find their real calling.

How do you do it?

By helping them find the yearning of their souls.
[quote]
On 2009-09-06 22:07, stashu wrote:
Hey John! I just wish I could have been luckier, if I was hit by lightning instead of by a car I could use that as a better story for my abilities! But you call yourself an intuitionist right? See, I like that one, I havent heard anyone else use it, if you were pressed to the wall, do you have a standard explaination for how you do what you do?
[/quote]

Yes, I do.

J