(Close Window)
Topic: A World of Fake Coins
Just thought I would let all you coin guys know I am writing a series of articles for Magic Seen Magazine entitled 'A World of Fake Coins'. The latest issue of the magazine has the first article in which is a 6 page spread giving an overview of all the main coins gaffs available. Starting the next issue I shall be examining each coin gaff in depth and explaining a full unpublished routine with each gaff. The goal is to try and educate and inspire more magicians to perform coin magic.

If anyone has any ideas for future issues (i.e gaffs you would like me to look at) just let me know.

Thanks everyone

Craig
Sounds like a great effort!
Hi Craig: Sounds like a great idea. How do we access the magazine? Is this an online thing or more local to the UK? Thanks!

Doug Brewer
I'll double Doug's question. I haven't seen this magazine before, but I'm definitely interested. I could have googled, but it would be good to have in this thread.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 21, 2009 04:21PM)
Wonderful idea (not IMHO) - just look online and you can find downloads of card college - and now you want to put a primer on coin gaffs into the public all in one place? Why do you think I started typing e[ and [ and ~ and [~ rather than using names even on this BBS?
It might be good to do interviews with the major coin gaffers like Schoolcraft, Lassen, Kueppers, Tango, etc. Gaffing is an interesting business and full of precision, just like coin magic. All these guys and there are many more out there I'm sure are craftsman really and could probably give you some real history on this stuff. I think a really well done book on this would be quite interesting and because it's such a behind the scenes craft and hobby I doubt if many people outside the fraternity would ever desire to read it, sorta like most people outside the magic fraternity don't read Bobo's I'd say, or Genii, or Magic, etc.

You might even do an article on sort of a brief dictionary on how to discuss coin gaffs the JT is talking to you, perhaps he could help with that language or code...Maybe even do an article on him about why he thinks you shouldn't do such articles, there's pros & cons to everything...Y'know, like should we have a Public Option in Health Care, should we not?

There are also guys that love specific gaffs and could give you some real working insight on them. There was a guy here that absolutely loved the Sun & Moon coin, Troy Hoosier is an absolute expert with the Flipper Coin, etc.

Also, I believe David Roth did something on Gaffed Coins, he's a top coin guy...Might be good to do an article on him.

And everyone and their mother has used a [ so you might get some assorted views on that classic gaff as well. I think in many ways these gaffs are works of art.

Perhaps an article on guys that do not use gaff coins. There are purist out there that don't think of using them much if at all. Might be a good take for an article showing the other side as to the use of sleights. Anyway good luck with it and do let us know when the articles come out. :) -Mb
[quote]
On 2009-09-21 17:21, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Wonderful idea (not IMHO) - just look online and you can find downloads of card college - and now you want to put a primer on coin gaffs into the public all in one place? Why do you think I started typing e[ and [ and ~ and [~ rather than using names even on this BBS?
[/quote]

With references to a 6 page spread, I had assumed this was a print publication. No?
Sure sounds like a print publication to me. Even if it is online, I'm not that concerned about exposure. I respect protecting secrets, but I don't think the average Joe is looking for this stuff. I love the combination of gaffs and sleights. Craig, let us know how to obtain this!
Sammy
Magic Scene is the UK version of Magic Magazine and is publised by Mark Leveridge.
It has a very British feel says the Brit living in New Zealand.Its very good!!
It can also be purchased as download also
regards
Andy
Hi guys.

This is the website

http://www.magicseen.co.uk/

It is a printed publication (Europe's biggest magic publication I believe). However it is also available as a download.

I am planning a lot of issues and I love the idea of having an interview with some of the famous coin gaffers. One thing I want to do is give people lots of information of where they can go to to learn more about a specific gaff. The idea is that these articles inspire people to perform more with coins especially fake coins.

I am in the middle of contacting lots of people about their views about particular fake coins in order to provide as much insight as possible.

Anyway, if anyone reads the article I would love to know what you think.

Thanks again guys.

Craig
Looks like a very well produced magazine. Look forward to reading your article.
Thanks for all your input guys.

By the way in the next issue (due out any day now) I am focusing on the coin shell and explaining an unpublished routine of mine which uses it.

If anyone sees the article let me know what you think

Craig
Just downloaded the issue with your first article.

Great article on the various gimmicks and where to find routines using them.

I look forward to reading your next article!

Michael
I have just started to download the magazine. 10 MB and still going.
I've purchase a few issues of Magic Seen in the past. It's a well done magazine. Mark use to offer a deal on his web site for back issue.
Just a quick thought...I used to feel guilty using coin gaffs until I went to a Magic Convention (my 1st) in Portland Oregon USA. The pros and semi-pros there told me "don't worry about it." I'm an older guy with painful hands. As long as I can make people smile I'm OK with gaffs.
I really like Johnsons Silver,Copper,Brass as you can begin and end "clean"

Allen
[quote]
On 2009-09-21 23:15, Sammy J. wrote:
I love the combination of gaffs and sleights.
Sammy
[/quote]

Yea ME TOO!!! :)
Great article
I enjoyed it
the download connects this kiwi-land brit to blighty nice!
I look forward to next issue!
Caught my attention , I just orded a year subscription .
Hi Guys,

If anyone read the routine in article 2 (East Meets West) I hope you enjoyed it!

In the third article (due out any day now) I have published my pet routine with a Slippery Sam. This is the routine I always use before I go into U3F. I think you guys should like it!

Thanks again for the feedback and all the emails, if anyone has any views on any of the articles just let me know

Craig
Do you wear a mask when you write this?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying. Could you elaborate
Jazzy was making a joke like you were "The Masked Magician" .
Just trying to figure out where the line is regarding revelation.
I don't think the facebook kids have a "need to know" on this subject.
Is this really necessary? I mean, it is already 100% easier in this age to get the downlow on too many magic secrets. If you are genuinely interested in coin magic, aren't you going to go see for yourself what is available, or better yet...what you need?

C'mon, masked magician isn't far off actually, the whole thing seems rediculous to me. Anyone interested in coin magic should start out with some simple props that they get a lot of mileage from...and from there, depending on your interest level, it will all just come to you as it did to all of us. All the coin magicians I know know exactly what is out there. If this is aimed solely at someone that knows nothing about coin magic, let them do their time, I say.
I can't see why there are so many people being negative about a magic magazine article. It's not like this is being published in a normal magazine. It's in Europe's largest magazine for magicians. The articles comprise of my personal routines with a variety of gaffs. So if you have a gimmick you feel you could be doing more with this will hopefully give you ideas.

Seriously why do people have a problem with this. The routines were going to originally released in an ebook but I decided to publish them in a magazine so more people would have access to the material. Is this such a bad thing?

Craig
I have NO problem with this Craig.Personaly I think this is a refreshing change of pace from some of the same mindless articles I have read for the last 25 years in magic publications.While I have my own routines and effects that I use ,I can admitt to not being the most creative Magician around.When I get a chance to see someone elses ideas it can really get the old Creative juices flowing.Keep up the Great work to Craig!!!!!!Love my Mirage coin set.
There was a time when their mere existence was not acknowledged.
Personally, I don't think the general public WANTS to know.
Those truly interested in the art will learn through study.
To post this information online for universal consumption seems contrary to the ethical codes of the magic community. A printed magazine with a defined number of paying subscribers is one thing. Internet publishing is mass communication.
Quite another matter.

How are the manufacturers reacting to your project?
Craig,
Im looking forward to reading the article. I'm a big fan of your work. Flipped Out and Attack of the Bag are such great resources. I've learned so much from those DVDs. You're a great teacher. Regarding your article... A subscription Magicians Magazine is an absolute fine place to publish such information. I have no idea why someone would have a problem with this. They shouldn't.
Keep up the good work, and have a wonderful Holiday Season!

-Rich
Also when you purchase one of these products, you are also purchasing the performance rights to the trade secrets associated with the product.

Maybe I'm off the mark on this but we are entering a new generation of gaff technology, so it might have importance.

Perhaps someone who is fluent in intellectual property law like Bill Palmer could clarify this.
Craig,

I am a big fan. Love your Flipped out DVD. Keep doing whatever you feel is right.
Your creativity and imagination is enhancing the art of coin magic.

Cheers

TC
I just did a search (fake magic coins), thinking in layman's terms. Pages of tutorials, how to's, and sites selling gaffed coins came up. This is a magic forum and craig is talking about a magic magazine that you have to pay for. I would not be too worried about this exposure. Ive been doing magic off and on for twenty yrs, and all I had to do,to find out what a gaffed coin is,was to walk into a magic store, not knowing much at all and they sold me a E[. Which I'm glad they did cause I'm still using that same one till this day. imho
supra
P.S. Love flipped out craig
As far as I know , Craig has NOT "spoiled" anything on an open forum . You've got to pay for the magazine to read his articles .

Keep up the good work Craig .
All of you who believe that Mr. Petty is exposing and is the equivalent of the masked magician take note of the people on this site who are actually exposing in the game of the season. The gifts that are being give by Tim and Marion are in the regular section of this formum for anyone who is curious to see.

They should have been posted in the secret session section where you need 50 posts to gain access.

Jeff had the forsight and the desire not to expose.

Mr. Petty has provided valuable documentation through a recognized magic magazine that requires the curious to purchase the knowledge. This is the same for any secret published in Magic or Genii.

Get off his back, please. and ask those who expose accidentally to think about what they are doing.

Happy Holiday to all.

To avoid the comments about me, I appreciate Tim's and Marion's contribution to this forum and the help and knowledge that they have given to all of us. But I think that Jeff was tring to say in a nice way to all of us; place posts that expose in the secret session area and link it from here.
My question is this....what group is this "fake coins" literature aimed at?

Obviously, lay people are not going to stumble on this. Experienced, and semi-experienced coin workers will have no use for it, unless they use one of the routines you provide with the gaff. But the explanation of the gaffs...who needs that?

Newbies in coin magic would not find a link to this any faster than, or even as fast as discovering the gaffs on their own.

It seems. To me. Still don't get it. My original point. I'm not worried about someone seeing this that shouldn't, just that it is exposure with no purpose.
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

As for your comments poly allow me to address them.

My lecture that I present is called Accessible Coin Magic and is designed to inspire more people to perform with coins. This series of articles continues along that theme. Since I started the articles I have had dozens of emails from magicians thanking me for convincing them to perform with coins.

I really don't want this to come out the wrong way but who are you to presume that a person will not get anything from these articles. Coin magic has been left out of magic magazines for too long and this is something I am trying to change. The routines I describe are real workers which I know people will use if they get the chance. and there are plenty of magicians out there who are experienced that do not know about the various gaffs available. Hence the reason we get so many questions on the Café on which gaff is best or which gaff a person should buy.

Having said all that if you really don't see the value in these articles the solution is simple don't read them.

Craig
Craig- Are there any plans for publishing the articles as a collection?
Craig

Well said.
"Having said all that if you really don't see the value in these articles the solution is simple don't read them."

Sorry Craig, I didn't want this to become an argument and not trying to burst your bubble personally.

I think you answered my question about what target group you were aiming these articles at. It seems to be magicians, who are already magicians...but don't do coin magic. And your articles are now inspiring dozens of magicians to pick up coin magic, and coin gaffs. Ok, so that is a good thing. I would have never thought this scenario rational, but you say it is and I believe you that you are getting positive feedback from this group.

I can't pick up a magic publication anywhere and not see at least one coin trick in that issue. Maybe things are different in Europe. Good luck and success with your endeavors.
[quote]
On 2009-12-07 15:53, Craig Petty wrote:
Hi Guys,

If anyone read the routine in article 2 (East Meets West) I hope you enjoyed it!

In the third article (due out any day now) I have published my pet routine with a Slippery Sam. This is the routine I always use before I go into U3F. I think you guys should like it!

Thanks again for the feedback and all the emails, if anyone has any views on any of the articles just let me know

Craig
[/quote]

Could anyone care to point me out in which issue I can find craig's routine using the slippery sam? It seems obvious to you folks but I'm sorry I didn't manage to figure that out and there doesn't seem to be an index of the effects on the website (or I didn't find it)...

Thanks for any help!
(I already PM'd Craig about 2 weeks ago and although he read my message he probably didn't have the time to answer...)
Hi Mate,

I did answer, did you not get the pm?

I will send it again in a few minutes. I have been crazy busy this month, I haven't had a day off from gigs for over 4 weeks now. I did however reply to your pm - sorry you did not get it.

Anyway, the routine is in the latest issue of magicseen. I have not had the latest issue yet and I am not sure it is available through dealers. You can however download the PDF version off the magicseen website. The web address is:

http://www.magicseen.co.uk/

I hope this helps and again sorry you did not get the pm.

Take care and Merry Christmas

Craig
Oh thanks Craig! Sorry about that, must have missed your PM... Maybe I made a mistake and deleted your PM together with others when I cleaned my box to have more space... it's quite possible, sorry about that...

Just got your last one, thanks so much!

I pretty well imagined you've been very busy, don't worry! I'll check the latest version on the website for a download then.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you too!

Ben
Highly recommend to and new intermediate coin workers.
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2009-12-07 15:53, Craig Petty wrote:
Hi Guys,

Craig

Hey Craig,

I'm a huge fan of your DVDs and own Split Happens, Flipped Out, and Attack of the Bag. Going on that, I had to see your take on the Slippery Sam, so I downloaded Issue 30 (truly ONLY for this routine!). Much to my disappointment, the routine uses a magnetic Slippery Sam, however, your post mentioned nothing about that. :( I'd just had a semi crisp custom 1882 Morgan SS I just got in that I was looking for new material for. Wouldn't happen to have an extra mag set would ya???

Signed-
Bummed in Michigan
[quote]
[...]

... so I downloaded Issue 30 (truly ONLY for this routine!). Much to my disappointment, the routine uses a magnetic Slippery Sam, however, your post mentioned nothing about that. :(

[...]

Signed-
Bummed in Michigan
[/quote]

True indeed... I'll try to find a way of making it work though.
All you need (besides a non-mag SS) is a piece of extremely thin shimming steel (e-mail Chazpro for this or find some on eBay). Add a circle of Teflon tape material on top of the shim and you have a perfectly gaffed "Magnetic" SS. I have a couple SS she!!s in 1/2 dollar size that I bought from Mr. Tango. He also makes them in Ikes, Morgans, anything you want. Just e-mail him and negotiate a price.

Mr. Tango: info@tangomagic.com

dsalley13
All you need is that AND a magnetic Morgan ($130.00 plus) which I don't have.........