(Close Window)
Topic: IQ by Promystic / Craig Filicetti
Received my much anticipated new IQ from Promystic a couple of days ago, and its even better than I had hoped.
I don't think I am exposing any secrets by telling you how it works as IQ is advertised and sold as a thumper type cueing device, and many thumpers have been around in various guises for years. The world and his dog know what a thumper is?
- yes its a big rabbit with long ears!

This latest offering to the magic fraternity, is made by Craig Filicetti"s company Promystic, Craigs kindness and helpfulness are legendary so I need say no more about his excellent customer service.

IQ costs around $299, but only about $175 to existing MD users as it shares one of the same "little black bits", so there is a big cost saving. and to be honest I think this is an absolutly essential purchase to add onto your Multi Dimensional.

Those of you that do own Multi Dimensional will know just how tiny that "little black bit" is.
- well the new IQ hand held tr-------- is identical, the same size but with the addition of two small buttons on top, A (short buzz)and B (long buzz), so your assistant can cue you with just about any code you choose,its a tiny device but very powerful with a big range that I estimate to be about 60 - 80 foot. Your assistant also gets a buzz feedback so she knows what number she just sent you, so she should not make any mistakes.
To coin an old phrase often used in magic, "the effects possible with this amazing device are only limited by your imagination", - but its absolutly true,
for instance my assistant can cue me with any playing card that a spectator chooses from an ordinary ungaffed deck, while my back is turned, and I know the spectators card in 3 or 4 seconds flat, simple clean reliable and invisible, and there is so much much more I can use IQ for.

To say I am pleased with IQ is a massive understatment, and for existing MD users its at a bargain price and is a "must have" add on.

Score; 10 out of 10.

- Hit that "buy it now" button quick!

Steve
Hey Steve ,
Thanks for the Great Review. All sounds good, Ive got most of Craigs products and having some real amazing times with them. Cant wait for this one... to add to the arsenal. I wish the "buy it now" button was up and running. Im ready to THUMP IT!!! Andy
Sounds very cool
I've ordered from Craig before and must say that his customer service and product quality is top notch. He provided the fastest international shipping I've ever seen and always responded promptly to phone calls and e-mails. I have MultiDimensional and love it.

Mark
This is really tempting. Multi Dimensional is my #1 mentalism effect.

Does IQ come with any presentational ideas?

Robert
The modular concept is just brilliant Craig. So easy to add on.
James
Using IQ in Thailand has elevated me to cult status,- I said CULT Marko!

I cooked up a little bar room routine with my blindfolded dart board score revelation, it fried em, - seems impossible but very easy with IQ.

Steve
Those who have this can you expand on this through a pm? Thanks so much.

Mike :)
I think his website says exactly what it does. but if you're not 100% sure, feel free to pm me
Thinking of ordering IQ shortly anyone got any clever ideas for its use?

Andy
For impromtu magic, you have your confederate in place. you hand the group a deck of cards and you turn your back, they shuffle and pull out one card, they show all of their friends and shuffle it back into the deck. you don't even turn around and name the card. of course, the presentation piece wouldnt be that boring, but you get the idea.

You have a sharp nail and 3 styrofoam cups in which someone will hide the nail underneath one of them. you turn around and smash all but the one with the nail (kurotsuke)
Hello!

Thanks for the responses above and sorry for the late response on my part. I was looking for more info on routine ideas with this. Above are some good ones. With two signals one short and one long what else can be accomplished?

Just think of the current effects you perform and see if having someone buzz you would help enhance the effect. Then think of some effects that you would like to perform with a confederate and make it happen! Biggest thing is, do you have someone to consistently work with you?
I have a person in the pub throw a dart while my backs turned, then I announce the score with my back still turned.

With cards I have them shuffle and deal 48 cards out facedown onto the table,
six rows of eight cards, fourty eight cards in all, easy numbers to deal with.
- while my back is turned the spectator picks up any card, shows it to there friends, then replaces it face down, I then let my hand hover over all the cards, I find the posistion of the specstators choosen card, and name that card, correct posistion, correct siut, correct value! - impposible, but with good presentation totaly beleivable.

Again in a bar, I have six different drinks lined up on the bar, with my back turned, I ask the spectator to take a drink just a sip from any, with my back still turned away, I describe the taste, like its an orange flavour, non alcoholic, fizzy etc, yes you are tasting the Fanta Orange.

You can do the same as above with six different flavour sweets if you don't frequent bars!

There are so many miracles you can do with this.

Steve
I just placed an order for IQ. I'm sure it's well made and functions well, unlike the last piece of #%*! I bought(loud,poorly made piece of #%*!)

I have no worries about Craig Fillicetti's products. They are well made and work very well!
Hey! GREAT to have a few ideas flying around for this device keep em coming it helps us all come up with better routines. I have been using a proximity tag in a marker pen as a cueing device but about to order THE REAL THING! andy
Anything by Promystic is a good investment.
I agree.
Thanks for the above suggstions! I have been very good at keeping my tricks secret however my wife figures things out or drives me crazy until I tell her. So naturaly she could help me with this. She doesn't go to shows though because I have two little ones at home.

I love the ideas for using this. I WILL be adding this for sure. Time to start selling some items!

thank you for sharing your ideas. Keep em coming! :)

Looks like I'm going to have to get IQ. There really do seem to be unlimited possibilities with this.

Robert
This simple little gimick is probaly the best thing your going to buy in the next couple of years, - if you thought Multi Dimensional was good, you just have to put this with it. Awesome.

Steve
My first inclination was to combine this with Multi Dimensional, but now I'm not so sure. Multi Dimensional is pretty perfect on its own.

I'm thinking that this should be a separate effect - perhaps something that is based on a classic mentalism effect from Annemann or Corinda, perhaps.

Granted, you already have the receiver in your pocket, but shouldn't this be saved for a second, completely different effect?

Just thinking out loud,
Robert
It is fantastic to have just one receiver for different effects. If you do tablehopping you can perform Craig's whole product line.
Gunthard
What's the shipping date on this?
Hello all,

The ship date is this week, I am working the units daily. All backorder units should go, I have just enough and am now sold out for two more weeks. I just noticed on my site that I said the first week on November in the text, but the date in the box on the left says 11/1/09. Sorry for this delay/confusion, I really think you will be happy with the unit. Small and easy to use!!

-Craig
I have to stop reading these post.... I'm going broke!!!!! :)
Mike, People will pay you good money to perform Miracles in this class!!

Steve, interested in your any card from the deck idea?

Andy
Andy's right. That's why I have invested in Craigs items as well as others. IQ will be on the "got to have it" list. :)
Guys, Steve has some brilliant ideas! Get on his good side and ask him to share :) He was one of the first 10 purchasers of MD and the first one using it as a thumper to find bills on a table/bar top. I know his routines are great.

-Craig
Hey Steve!

I'm always eager to learn.

I just did a list of the things I want to order and it's over a thousand bucks! craig any chance of an xmas sale???
All units shipped, will ship more next week.

Just trying to catch up on documentation.
Thanks Craig I got my IQ in the uk in super quick time thanks again ALL PERFECT and its that easy to use it was used in a family performance same day.

cheers
Andy
Got it today. Works like a charm. Thank you, Craig.
Gunthard
Is there a device for testing the batteries without having to remove them from the chips?

DK
You could test the tra******rs but you would need a test meter with probes and know just where to probe. Its so much easier to flip out the battery and reset the tag.
hope this helps. Andy
Tags are for proximity not IQ
Ooops yes I was referring to Prox tags.
Andy
Yes, that is an issue for the Prox chips, too, but I was referring to testing the batteries "in situ" for every one of Craig's components.

The issue is especially acute in Prox, as the chips (tags) must be reset (reprogrammed) whenever the batteries are removed.

Thanks,
DK
Used IQ last night to perform my "Chinese Takeaway Menu" effect, it fried em, what a killer it is!

Steve
I think a visual readout option, in addition to a vibrating "thumper," would be a definite improvement, particularly for those communicating with multiple vibrations/thumps!

DK
We have a motion, all in favor?

I am! :)
I'm actually talking about a second receiver, one that would display, for example, numbers digitally, instead of giving off "good vibrations." This second receiver would also be modular and would be able to display visually the various numbers sent by MD, IQ, etc.

Although my partner (my "second") doesn't need (or want) such a visual display, since she is the sender of info, my second will, in a second, second my motion to ask Craig to create a second receiver.

DK

P.S. The visual display idea is not my original idea, but came to me from another Café member who I understand also originally came up with the modular receiver idea.
Its a good idea but where would you put it?
I thought a great place for the original receiver would be strapped on your microphone ....but didn't work as the buuzzes were amplified to everyone. lol
But it could work with a visual display I suppose. thoughts!!! Andy
Well Andy, you could hide the LED receiver anywhere that's visible to only you, like your table or case,dozens of possible hiding places really, even hide it in your shirt top pocket and look down onto the display,(i did that with Tim Wissemans LED reciver).
Putting it in your shirt pocket is the most conveniant for most folks I think.

Craig is it possible?

Steve
The breast pocket of your shirt or jacket would be a good place, but an even better place would be on the DIAL of a WATCH. For example, the final digit of the LED display of the time could actually be the code 0-9 sent by your secret assistant.

There are many ways a watch face could surreptitiously communicate the necessary info to you. And the entire electronic workings of the receiver would nicely fit inside a watch. It could even vibrate to signal you, too, as Ron Frank and Tom Kracker know so well.

In addition to the IQ, were the modular receiver contained inside a watch, it would be in the ideal place (and right out in the open!) to get the proper Proximity read. Having both a vibration option AND a visual read-out option would provide maximum security that you have the right read. Not sure what message you were just sent?--just check your watch!

DK
Dark Knight,

I love the WATCH idea!!!
This is great news! I'm saving to buy IQ so this just made me soooo much happier.

Craig's incredible. I hope he can make it happen. :)
Last night, in a seemingly impromptu performance at a family gathering, I scored a Promystic trifecta. First, my eight year old daughter and I used IQ to perform the old Kreskin routine. There were 10 people at the party, so my daughter and I prearranged a code for each of them. While my daughter was out of the room, one of the 10 people pocketed a dollar bill. My daughter returned, asked each person whether they had the dollar bill, and instructed each of them to say no. She then revealed the liar who had the bill. I then did the Proximity effect with a Chapstick with several of the folks. Finally, when it was clear that gaffes played no role in any of this, I brought out Multi-Dimensional and pretended to use both facial expressions and voice to divine the number on the die by lie detection. Playing God has never been so easy. Thank you Craig!!!
I spoke to some "in the know" people and the watch idea might not be possible. According to the people who know quite a bit about this technology they say it's just not there yet. Would be cool though! I wonder what's up Craigs sleeve. :)

I'm saving for one, Steve! Hoping Santa treats me nicely with lots of cash presents. :)
Mine should be here tomorrow. If its as good as the other stuff I have had off Craig I am sure this will be the dogs bo****ks !
There are some codes and routines in the 7thSense Code that will work with any thumper. Many top pros including tv mentaists have purchased the code along with the original thumper.

Now the code is available on its own for a limited time. And would be useful for the IQ.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=341085&forum=109&4
Craig, you are a genius ! Arrived today and I am buzzing !!!!!
A perfect effect with IQ is to have a set of 10 ESP cards, give spectator 5 for her to place in any order face down on the table, Psychic then places his 5 cards face down in front of the spectators cards, - then spectator turns over one at a time her ESP cards, as she does this Psychic does the same, as each card is turned it is seen that the Psychic has correctly predicted all her 5 choices. Spooky!

Steve
Hm, for this effect I would know a cheaper solution.... Jan
Jan,
maybe a m,,,,,, deck. ok same result .......
But is it as clean? no way! plus that's just for starters with IQ, then there are so many more imposible things you can do.

Steve
With IQ do you mean a thumper in general? Why would it be cleaner than a m.... deck?

Seems to me a poor use of a thumper there are so many very realistic imposssible routines possible.

A better and more dramatic use would be someone drawing the symbols ob flipchart way behind the mentalist who is blindfolded and names them for stage. Or reproduces the random order symbols from way at the other end of a room or better still in another room.

Better still reproducing a random drawing. A simple thumper can be made to look like the real thing.
MP isn't that a rabbit?
[quote]
On 2009-12-05 21:15, mindpunisher wrote:
With IQ do you mean a thumper in general? Why would it be cleaner than a m.... deck?

Seems to me a poor use of a thumper there are so many very realistic imposssible routines possible.

A better and more dramatic use would be someone drawing the symbols ob flipchart way behind the mentalist who is blindfolded and names them for stage. Or reproduces the random order symbols from way at the other end of a room or better still in another room.

Better still reproducing a random drawing. A simple thumper can be made to look like the real thing.
[/quote]
Yes, that's it. :) Jan
Mindpunisher;
When I read your Ebook I did like the idea of the Drawing Duplication using IQ or any Thumper, But - the Pychic and his assistant each need to memorize 20 plus possibilities!
My suggestion with the ESP cards works well with the IQ as it requires zero memory work, and for me at least that works better than a m,,,,, deck which are difficult to read without glasses!

Steve
Steven, for your ESP card routine, wouldn't it be much simpler to just go out and get a deck of Beyond ESP 2? They are the most legit looking set of ESP cards available on the market, all the way down to the box design. They are also marked but in such a way that they are pretty much impossible to find the markings unless you know what you are looking for. The bad vision problem also isn't a issue with the Beyond ESP 2 deck since they are not marked the same way as let's say a Ultimate Marked Deck Bicycle deck.

Plus the routine you've described has been fully explained in the Beyond ESP 2 booklet that comes with the deck as well as a version of it on both the Looch SAM book and DVD set. On top of that, there's no fumbling and it's much more streamlined (and direct) in the way you acquire the information since the cards are clearly marked and you sidestep such issues as wrong cues or your confederate confusing the signals, etc.
Dookie.
I had a Beyond ESP Deck and did not like it, I still found it hard to see the discreet markings.(incidently for the first 40 years of my life I had A1 eyesight but for last couple of years I need reading glasses)
I don't want to get hung up on this ESP effect, it was just a suggestion thrown in with many other effects that I have suggested for IQ.

The point is the many many things that can be done just by having IQ in your pocket, ESP cards, playing cards, darts, drawing dupes,chinese takeaway menu effect, Andys Watch/ Clock effect etc etc,
- the potential is amazing!

Steve
So, does the IQ unit also function as a receiver? Would be great if it functioned as a regular ProMystic receiver as well since two people would be able to detect the selected side of a MD cube or know which item is in play in the case of Red H or II.
[quote]
On 2009-12-06 06:00, DR STEVE HOSKINS wrote:
Mindpunisher;
When I read your Ebook I did like the idea of the Drawing Duplication using IQ or any Thumper, But - the Pychic and his assistant each need to memorize 20 plus possibilities!
My suggestion with the ESP cards works well with the IQ as it requires zero memory work, and for me at least that works better than a m,,,,, deck which are difficult to read without glasses!

Steve
[/quote]

>>>>>Steve with the greates respect sit down and learn the code. It is MUCH easier than you think plus many of the routines require only one buzz and no or very little coding. I have floored audiences with my personal opener. And am giving away as a bonus for the first time. Seriously with moderate cold readin skills this absolutely kills. The actual thumper part of this routine you can learn in two minutes.

"Mentalist returns back into the room after someone leaves a drawing on a board. Mentalist is able to divine personal information about the artists private life and character. eg if they are married single, if the prefer cats to dogs,if they are believers in the psychic or are skeptics, male or female approximate age...Simultaniously he eliminates members of the audience unti the drawing is returned to the rightful artist."

Im serious with the cold reading you can really stirs up a powerful reaction and is a great opener.

The thing about a thumper is it can be used for lots of effects and routines that require no or very little coding. Or it can be used for more involved codes.
But still Much easier and convincing than 2 person verbal codes. However they could be combined.

Its up to you what you want to do with it. But like anything in life if you want to build a professional commercial show that you get paid good money for you have to put a little work into it. Do you want to be ahead of the pack?

http://www.advancedmind.co.uk/7thsensecode.htm

Plus there is a huge amount of material in the complete package to get through.
Kissdad;
The IQ is a transmitter, and yes your "new" MD receiver is compatible, so you
SAVE about $100 by adding this to your MD and Prox set up's.

To be honest, dare I say it......... but IMHO IQ is even better than MD,
- and that's saying something!

But I beleive anyone that owns the great Multi Dimensional must must invest a relativly modest amount extra for the mighty IQ, - is an absolute must have addition to your MD!

Steve
No, I wanted to know if IQ could be used as a receiver. Let me put it this way, let's say my confederate has IQ on his/her person, I obviously will be able to get cues from him/her. Now, if I was do use MD in the same situation, if IQ was also a receiver, then my confederate would know what side is up on MD.
IQ is not a receiver.
Gunthard
Kiss
Yes if you have your MD receiver on YOU, using your MD cube as normal.
- your assistant has IQ, she can send you your cue to your MD receiver.
saves on your pocket space.

sounds complicated but I hope that makes sense!

Steve
In other words, no, I can't use it the way I intend to use it. Okie dokie.

Gunthard: Thanks!
No, I totally understand. IQ is not a receiver. What I had intended was that my confederate would get a read of the MD cube as well but also be able to send me cues for things that will use the IQ function. Basically, it would be great if IQ could serve dual purpose.
@Kiss
what you can do is: buy a second receiver and stick to the back of the IQ sender.

Gunthard
Eh, it was pointed out to me that it's probably not a good idea to have a confederate do the mind reading in the first place as it may draw undue heat and direct the audience to think in directions which I may not want them to think in. In conclusion, the IQ is fine the way it is. Ha ha.
Change your thinking process. You are making a common mistake of focusing on the equipment. Focus on effects and routines you would like to create. Be creative write them down as if there were no limitations. Then start to hone them and find ways to use the IQ or any piece of equipment to acjieve them by the simplest means possible.

This way your creativity will be focused where it should be on the effects not the equipment...
I'm not really thinking about the equipment there mindpunisher, I'm just thinking of things to do with a confederate. I have used MD with a confederate so that the confederate has the receiver and is able to read the specs mind, etc. Just was wondering if I could knock down two birds with one stone.
Yeah but even that....if youthink about what you want to achieve first then factor in the confederate as part of the solution you might find a really good application that's simpler than you thought. Or find a good reson to signal in the way you talk about to confederate.

All Im saying is don't get tied up in the method...
[quote]
On 2009-12-07 17:17, mindpunisher wrote:
Change your thinking process. You are making a common mistake of focusing on the equipment. Focus on effects and routines you would like to create. Be creative write them down as if there were no limitations. Then start to hone them and find ways to use the IQ or any piece of equipment to acjieve them by the simplest means possible.

This way your creativity will be focused where it should be on the effects not the equipment...
[/quote]

Sometimes an idea does not come as readily as one wants it MP. Especially on this side of the pond. Too many distractions over here. There are so many cable TV shows begging to be watched, dirty laundry, Tiger Woods etc.
I don't know how this all turned into me becoming some sort of gadget junky all of a sudden :P I just thought it would be a nice thing to have the IQ unit do and also allow me to use it for some of the things I currently use by secretly passing my MD receiver to a confederate. :P Just one of those "Hey, if it already has all the components of the regular receiver, what if it did double duty?" kind of things :P
I purchased a used IQ system but I didn't receive any instructions on how to program it. I want to turn the vibration off and am not sure which button combo or if I have to hold it in a certain orientation when inserting the battery. Could some kind soul PM me the info?
I don't think you can turn it off. It's there so you know what signal was just sent. But maybe I'm wrong?