(Close Window)
Topic: Gathering 2009?
Ok...It's that time of year...Sideshow Gathering 2009- November 6th, 7th and 8th...
Who is going to be there?
Here is the confirmed list so far-
Appearing:
The Lucky Daredevil Thrillshow
Zamora The Torture King
Doc Wilson
The Crispy Family
John Shaw
The Knotty Bits Sideshow
The Magic of Steve Hyde and Melanie
Pat Ward
Col. Hunsley's Freaks and Oddities
Professor Fountain
Shocked and Amazed
Cinda The Sign Queen
Odd Bob Blackmar
Rob Houston
Banners by Toni-Lee Sangastiano

Guest of Honor:
Dick Johnson

Anyone just coming to visit?
Gwyd
Yup.
I'm thinking of coming up for at least one night, possibly both. Some of the other Monkeys might be there, too.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Oct 2, 2009 12:50PM)
I will be there.....In spirit.....
As shall I...

in spirit that is.
There might be a surprise performance not listed, just saying.......that's the word on the street.
I hate surprises! Ill be there for the midnight drinks, and swell company!
My wife and I are talking about hitting it as well. The drive just kills though. I shouldn't complain. Crispy used to live in Denver, and I rode up with him, after he drove 530 miles just to get me along the way. (yeah 5 of us crammed in a Dodge Dakota Club Cab still gives me horrible flashbacks)

Lots of fun though.
I am planning on making it and exhibiting the "Kingbury Run Mummy" which toured thoughtout the united states until the early 80's!
I am planning on making it and exhibiting the "Kingbury Run Mummy" which toured thoughtout the united states until the early 80's!
Yes I'll be there all three days and will even be on the stage for once. I will be bringing something for the midnight drinks. Just don't get caught by the breakfast lady.

Michael
Message: Posted by: MagiciennesUnlimited (Oct 4, 2009 09:10PM)
I'll be the e! Looking forward to it :) Staying with Alex and Charon. Airstreams and Sphinxs, and sideshow, Baby! Plus I'm getting me sum ink!

Weeeeeee!!!!
I wish I could make it this year.... Makin' dough comes first!
Where? Link?
http://www.thesideshowgathering.com/news.htm
It would be cool if you were there Steve! It would be fun to meet the inspiration for my latest death trap!
Gwyd
I'm going! Can't wait to see everybody, special suprise appearances and all!!

Tried to convince WOW's cast (Tommy Breen, Mike Vitka + girlfriends) to come but I doubt they'll be able to make it. I need to post pictures of my stints with them this year (Ohio and and MN State Fairs) - I worked outside on Labor Day weekend and, holy blisters, do I have a new found respect for bally girls. Hardest job I ever had in the sideshow, so far.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Oct 16, 2009 06:02PM)
Tyler has been doing one heck of a pitch to persuade me and Heather to come. There is a possibility of a Nippulini appearance on Sunday.
I would love to be there, but I will be out in LA for the Magic History Conference. This year, one of their special guests will be Ward Hall and I will be interviewing him Actor's Studio style. He will be doing the DeLenz magic slump packet pitch and we will do the blade box at the end of the presentation.

We should have a little bit of Christmas this year.
[quote]
On 2009-10-17 06:42, Todd Robbins wrote:
I would love to be there, but I will be out in LA for the Magic History Conference. This year, one of their special guests will be Ward Hall and I will be interviewing him Actor's Studio style. He will be doing the DeLenz magic slump packet pitch and we will do the blade box at the end of the presentation.

We should have a little bit of Christmas this year.
[/quote]

I can't wait.
Todd.....I'm coming to that show!!!!!!!
Cris...It wouldn't be the same without you! You are on the super cool people list!
Nips...Don't tease...Just be there!
G
Can't afford to fly this year, and a nine-hour + drive would be a bit much.
Maybe next time.
I'd really like to be there at the Gathering again. Dr. Wilson has nicely agreed to give me a ride, I am just hoping the next few weeks work out $$-wise to cover the Hotel.
It'll be fantastic! I'm so excited.
and Michael I PROMISE to not get in trouble with the breakfast lady.
I promise to do nothing BUT get in trouble with the breakfast lady.
I love the breakfast lady. She MADE Mike Vitka and I eat one morning.
The breakfast lady has a Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Hyde type of personality. If you see her before breakfast...watch out! I know that Johnny Neutrino got a good dose of Ms. Hyde, even after I warned him.

So Danny...mess with the breakfast lady at your own risk. If need be we'll tell Mrs. Borneo that you fell down some stairs, or, you got hit with cinder block flyings. While Reggie and I will be laughing from the sidelines, since we know better. Don't mess with that lady before official breakfast time!
In non breakfast lady news...

Since it looks like I will be helping out again this year, I would like to try and get photos of all of the performers. So, if possible, please try to fit in a few moments before going on or coming off stage.

If there is a Thursday evening get together get-together, I'll be there with some homemade treats.

I would be excited about the event but I have two shows this weekend, so I'll be excited next week.

Safe travels everyone.

Michael
Michael's treats ARE a treat!
They are!
*blush* Thanks. I may have some special stuff made for the event, if I can get some time and a little luck. However if you don't attend, you won't be able to sample any goodies. Plus I can't wait to see what Dennis will bring too.

Now we just need to get together on Thursday night and not get caught by the breakfast lady.
I won't be there Thursday; hopefully some goodies will still remain.
Do I even need to say I'll be there?

I might be trying out a new routine or two too.. Depending on the mood of my assistant!

And don't give the breakfast lady any lip! nor tongue (that would just be gross)
I dare you to smuggle a breakfast item before or after the designated time!
Does eating cereal at 2 a.m. while playing poker count?
I plan to be smuggling breakfast items all weekend and selling them for a small fee. They wont be available until after the designated time, as I don't want to get into a knife fight with the "Breakfast Lady"!

Ill also have a small supply of Advil, and Energy Drinks, first come first serve!
If Martin and the breakfast lady got into a knife fight...I'd bet on her.

Well crazy breakfast lady encounters or not... I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone. Hopefully everyone will get to the informal Thursday night meet & greet. I'll be bringing some homemade treats, and I'll make sure there are some leftovers for the Friday folks.

I'll be trying to get photos of all the performers. Please stop by and take a moment before going on or off stage. I'll get you this year Cheeky Monkeys and your Ren Faire friends too!

Michael
Oh, nothing for Saturday? Brat!

Or maybe I'm the brat, so demanding...
OK I'll dip into some of my reserves and I'll make sure there is enough for Saturday too.

Harley you are not a brat. For all the help you've given me, I've actually got a two special ones just for you. Would have had three, but I gave one away to the new theater faculty where I work, who can't have gluten.
Alright Gathering Gatherers,

I'm going to try and a little project this year and I need your help. If you have performed, are performing, or will perform, at the Sideshow Gathering, please see me before the Saturday night auction. It will just take a moment, will be painless, and maybe even start a nice tradition.

If you don't know who I am...well...I was going to say that I'm the human blockhead but that only eliminates Wayne :)...I'm usually the guy holding the stage door open.

Michael
http://www.ProfessorFountain.com
[quote]
On 2009-11-03 13:34, Michael K wrote:
I'll get you this year Cheeky Monkeys and your Ren Faire friends too![/quote]Wicked Witch of the West?

Actually, looks like I'll be the sole Monkey (band name?) this year.
Just thought I'd use the line, since I didn't get any photos of the Cheeky Monkeys.

Maybe if I had flying monkeys...
Couple more days!
Like I said on Facebook:

Those attending the Gathering please strive to mention my name. Random and out of context acceptable.

Next year I'll provide T-shirts. :)
Tonight will be the pre-Gathering get-together. However I will be a little late, since I have an IBM meeting a few miles up the road tonight that I forgot I needed to attend too.

Travel safely everyone!

Michael
I am late to this thread, but I am popping in to say that it was fabulous from beginning to end this year. The shows were very smooth, with Tyler Fyre doing a fantastic job as emcee. Franco did a great job putting this one together also.

If you were there, and are posting here, I very likely already had a chance to talk to you (but probably not enough, the talk never stops from me). If you were not there, well, this was one for the books. I had never seen Chris McDaniels perform, and that was a real treat.

I am also still gasping at the Candlelight Award. I did not see it coming, and I am truly humbled by it.

Thanks again to all who were there for a wonderful time!

Yours,

Paul
It couldn't have gone to a nicer person Paul, congrats again. You deserve it, yours and everyone elses performances were amazing, beautiful and inspiring! It was great to hang out with some old and new friends this weekend.

Doug, I believe one of your earlier pieces was in the auction, and did very well.
Many really good performances. Overall the whole event ran smoothly. So congrats to: Franco, Kim, Mark, Joe, and all the tattoo folks; Tyler and Jill and all the show folks; and most importantly, thanks to everyone who attended.

The funny thing is that it would be almost impossible to see all of these acts separately. Just think of the drive from Las Vegas to Bar Harbor, Maine with stops in DC, Philly, North Carolina, Virgina, Tulsa, Michigan, New York City, Minnesota, Baltimore, and all the places I forgot where people were from. And here in my backyard you can see it all for $15 for three days of entertainment.

And then there is the auction where some really unique and one-of-a-kind items are up for bid. Here is a small list of what was up for bid: John Bradshaw's strait-jacket, a signed bottle filled with needles that Zamora used on stage, two shrunken heads, 9 different Madame Talbot's posters, an antique dice box, sideshow inspired hand-made soap & perfume, many vintage circus posters and art work, giant's rings, a real cobra in a jar, a can of Jack-o-lope stew, a Toni-lee banner, a giant's shoe, Dick Johnson's fish-girl box painted by T-Shirt Larry, chalkware carnival prizes, signed books, photos, and postcards, and a ton of stuff I forgot. Special thanks to Al who shared the real and very funny stories about many of the performers behind the objects.

BTW We got some people to donate a dollar to see one of Doug Higley's Zibits. So Doug was mentioned a good number of times visually, as well as being discussed among those "with it."

So if you can make it next year, start thinking about it. I'm guessing that it will be around the same time next year too. See you all in Wilkes-Barre, PA for the 9th annual Sideshow Gathering in 2010.

Michael
aka Professor Fountain
I forgot to mention the sad news. The crazy breakfast lady has moved to a different hotel. You no longer have to live in fear. It is safe to go into the yogurt again.

Michael
aka Professor Fountain
We are starting to get photos of the 2009 Sideshow Gathering posted on Sideshow World.

Thanks to all that have shared.

If anyone would like to share their photographs please email the to me at jrobinson@sideshowworld.com.

I will get them posted asap.

http://www.sideshowworld.com/SSG-2009-images.html

Thanks John
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Nov 10, 2009 01:30PM)
What a great time. I'm just sad that the weekend is already over. We finally managed to get home around 5 this morning. We made a few stops here and there along the way back.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 10, 2009 01:59PM)
Wow! 5AM? You left my house when? I forget, had a great time with you guys anyway. Heather missed seeing everybody. Wilford was cool, I told her all about him. Sorry I missed the Gathering, it's just too hectic for me to be able to make these events anymore. Maybe next year.....
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Nov 11, 2009 10:22AM)
I think that we left around 8 or so.

I was just loving your blacksmithing shop. It makes me miss my old welding shop though. Did you make your own forge I was meaning to ask but never got around to it. (my old one was a gas powered one, that some dunderhead at my shop dumped lead into and I never gotten back to changing out the firebrick.

And I'm so totally happy with the torch that I got from you, that thing is just beautiful. The problem is, I got into an argument with my wife over it because I want to put it in a framed case and put it on my wall instead of use it. (that way I can buy more of them and not tell her)

Also, speaking of blacksmithing, I'm wondering if you could hand forge a nice damascus tattoo machine frame. (before I left Omaha, I was thinking about custom machining them.)

And Wilford had a great time hanging out with you as well.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Nov 12, 2009 09:40AM)
Hey John, yeah I made my own forge from 1/4" mild steel plate, slices of firebrick, Kaowool and ITC-100 coating. I've tempil sticked the forge and it read over 2000f! Fabbing it was easy, but getting the right height for the torch heads gets tricky.

Speaking of torch, just order another one... I'll have it out to you whenever you want.

The damascus (better known as pattern laminated steel) I make is a huge pain to do. Forge welding layers, then cutting, stacking, re-welding, cutting, stacking, re-welding and so on to get the desired layered effect... man it consumes large amounts of fuel, time and elbow muscle. Now, if you could provide me with small billets of pattern laminate steel I can make the machine frame from that.
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Nov 12, 2009 02:34PM)
Yeah, I just never gotten around to trying damascus forging, I was going to wire in my trip hammer for it. I also had a two video set from Paladin Press on forging with it. It was ok, for production, but fairly informative. (problem is, it's tape, and those wear out fairly fast)

But outside of that, it would look cool. I did see a custom flashlight on bladeforums a while ago where it was made out of damascus.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 12, 2009 11:12PM)
Just veiwed the Photo's on SSW...WoW!!..Looks like Great time was had by all!!...Perhaps I'll have to Hijack Doug out of California..and attend next year with a "Live Zibit"...
Jim if you can pull it off, I'll print up some Pitch cards to lecture/sell.

How would you keep me under wraps till you turn 'em? I ain't wearin' no bag.

The photos were fantastic!!! Thanks all for the peek!
I can attest that it is a very good time with a great gathering of like-minded folks who hammer nails into their heads and love cutting up jackpots.

One highlight is that there are many different types and styles of presentations. From Doc Wilson who does a 1900's medicine pitch show, to Zamora who present the most amazing physical feats, to the comedy of Coney Island Chris and Swami Yomahmi, to Gwyd and Silver who I call "Burns and Allen on speed", to the though provoking stories of Harley Newman, to the newest idea since talkie movies the Olde City Sideshow, to the edgy comedy and stunts of John Shaw, to the classics with the Crispy Family & Johnny Mayhem, to the delightful paper magic of Dick Johnson, to some really old stuff like painting with cloth and chapography from me Professor Fountain, to seeing the western arts master Chris McDaniel, to hearing great ballys from Professor Sprocket, to the action packed Lucky Daredevil Thrillshow with Tyler Fyre and Thrill Kill Jill, and I'm sure I forgot some folks too.

Also hanging out with Walt Hudson who wrote "I was a teenage blockhead" and James Taylor and his huge book sale and back issues of Shocked and Amazed get them now because once they are gone, they are gone. Bob Blackmar who publishes the Sideshow Newsletter, and Rob who collects and displays circus and Barnum materials, and Cris who was the Monga with Ward & Hall, and Toni-lee and her hand painted banners, and Col. Hunsley and his two-headed animals, and Al who owned a circus and writes about sideshows and shared so many stories about about the auction items, and again I am forgetting many others so willing to share and talk about everything.

And after the show we go to the hotel and joke and chat until the wee hours of the morning. And do it all again for three days.

I know it would be wonderful if some of you guys from far away were able to come and share some of your stories (and props) and maybe pick up a few new ones.

Think early November 2010 in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania.

Michael
aka Professor Fountain
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Nov 13, 2009 09:20AM)
Professor
I am goin to think early Nov. for sure...Hey, If I can pull off the Left-coast heist...I have to warn you tho...Doug and I would be like 2 kids in a Candy Store!...Well,on second thought... more like 2 drunken sailors at a distant Port Bar...
I'll stay sober and 'prop' you up. (pun intended)

Michael that was an enlighteniong pitch...thanks for letting us outsiders in on Who Is Who...what a line up!!!

Yopu do the old felt pictures?? wow. Thought I'd never see that again. Good for you.
Yes I did a felt picture or as I like to say "Painting with cloth."

The second best part about the Gathering is seeing so many different act and such varied styles of presentations.

The best part in hanging out with everyone.