(Close Window)
Topic: Pendulum book...looking for a good recommendation
I understand the basics. What Im looking for are fuller routines and deeper thinking on the subject.

thanks
Richard webster; george anderson; ford kross, paolo cavalli

all have good routines with a pendulum

and iam sure I forgot someone
I'm just going to amen what psidroid has said.

I'll also add that Richard Webster has a nice pendulum DVD if you can find it.
Docc Hillford also has a very bold pendulum routine (that uses some of mr. webster's thinking) on his first Monster Mentalism DVD.

another suggestion I might make is just to start using your pendulum in whatever routine you might be doing. and especially exploring what you can do when you just give the pendulum to the spectator with not much more than some strong suggestion.

good luck

dave
Someone is selling one of Webster's books down in the Books & Lecture Notes section of "Let's Make a Magic Deal" forum. Check it out.
Also Doc Hilford's Monster Mentalism series has a great and extended pendulum routine.

Al
[quote]
On 2009-10-07 00:32, Al Straker wrote:
Also Doc Hilford's Monster Mentalism series has a great and extended pendulum routine.

Al
[/quote]
isn't that what dmoses wrote above??
Dr Bob has many pendulum routines, all are wonderful
Thanks everyone
Vernon,

A three-part article about the pendulum — its history and use in magic and otherwise — titled “The Pendulum Swings” by my friend Dr. Bill Spooner appeared in the February, March and April 2009 issues of The Linking Ring. The article is heavily footnoted with various sources identified. Here is a list of sources of information in addition to those cited by Dr. Spooner which I culled from my personal library:

1) “Pendulum Power for the Psychic Entertainer." Richard Webster, Brookfield Press, Auckland, New Zealand, 1990 (69 pp., softcover, 1990 -- includes bibliography with 23 references). This is the book that is for sale in the “Books and Lecture Notes” section of the “Lets Make a Magic Deal” forum here on the Café

2) "The Art of Dowsing." Richard Webster, Castle Books, 2001 (Chapter 5 is 14 pp. devoted to "The Amazing Pendulum")

3) "Ancient Secrets of the Witches' Pendulum" (undated 12 pp. manuscript "Prepared by the Scribes R. and D. of the Darkfire Coven")

4) "The Dowsing Book and Kit." Walter Woods, Publishers Group West, 2004 (includes 10 pp. Chapter on Pendulum Dowsing)

5) "John Mulholland's Book of Magic." John Mulholland, Charles Scribner's Sons, 1963 (includes several effects with a pendulum)

6) "Kreskin's E.S.P. Booklet: Advanced Fine Edition" which accompanied Kreskin's ESP Test Kit, Milton Bradley, 1967 (32 pp. saddlestitched 5" x 7" booklet, probably the same as pictured in the first installment of the Spooner, but has a different cover design)

7) "Pocket Pendulum" Kit. Maxi Cohen, Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2007 (3 1/4" x 3" x 1 1/4" boxed kit with metal pendulum on a chain, 4 full color fold out cards, 32 pp. instructional booklet) found on check-out display at Borders Books

Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the fie recommendations

I think the Webster book post is mine cause Im looking for it. Unless there's another one.
...and lets not forget Banachek's pendulum work in Psychophysiological thought reading...
Banachek book I own. Great material and a good starting point
Im considering the Webster book, Pendulum Power...This is first on my list
... and if you're looking for a cool pendulum check out mentalcraft. rich has some crazy cool stuff there.
Vernon,

You're right. My error. When I saw the note on "Let's Make a Magic Deal" I thought it was a copy for sale and overlooked the "WTB" so was a little too quick to post my note. Sorry.
Bob Cassidy's PENDULUM OF FATE has some marvelous stuff. It's available from Lybrary.com as an instant download.

-- Jheff
Thanks Jheff,

Could anyone be more specific about the material in Bob's ebook? I know he is a brilliant guy, but a little more info would be helpful. I was specifically wondering about the ratio of ideomotor response explanation to routine material and ideas. I too would be interested in additional routining ideas and thoughts (and less informational and explanation text).

For interested parties, here is the link:
http://www.lybrary.com/pendulum-fate-p-583.html

With Regards,

Sean
The ingenious Mr Cassidy also has The Elementulum in Psi Apps which I don't know but has been tempting me for some time. Anyone know this?

http://www.lybrary.com/psi-apps-p-965.html?manufacturers_id=41

s
Best one - no doubt in my mind -- Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum." Or is that not the style of routine you had in mind?

The recommendations above are great -- but stage visibility is limited. I believe (but I am not sure) that I have a Jon Riggs pendulum in a bottle routine around. Protect the pendulum from outside forces and watch it swing.....
Richard Webster's book.
[quote]
On 2009-10-07 10:27, VernonOnCoins wrote:
Im considering the Webster book, Pendulum Power...This is first on my list
[/quote]

Get it. It is wonderful. Enough stuff to keep you busy for life. Hypnotic inductions using pendulums, cool routines, and other useful bits.
I am also intrested in these pendulum books.
I have never read anything by Richard Webster, is it written through the perspective of a skeptic or a psychic/etc.?

Thanks in advance
Joe Black asked whether Richard Webster's "Pendulum Power" is "written through the perspective of a skeptic or a psychic".

Richard Webster has written many books for shut-eyes. They are all published by Llewellyn. "Pendulum Power" is not one of those; it is self-published by his own Brookfield Press. It is written from the standpoint of a professional psychic reader, mentalist, and stage magician -- however Richard is far too polite and decent a person, and too efficient an author, to waste the book buyer's time by pitting skepticism versus psychicism.

The book is about efects, techniques, patter, and useful routines. Your belief system, no matter what it is, is not going to be scrutinized, held up to ridicule, or even mentioned in the pages of "Pendulum Power."

Just to give a plug to a good dealer; you can buy "Pendulum Power" from Joe Pons at Misdirections Magic Shop -- misdirections.com -- and, I will add, it is a very good book and well worth having.

If you get into pendulums and do private parties or psychic workshops, you may also wish to check out this thread for ways to sell the pendulums as B.O.R. material:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=307186&forum=192
For Joeblack -- here is a fuller description of Webster's book, as presented on the web sites of several dealers who carry it:

----------------------------------------------
Pendulum Power for the Psychic Entertainer
by Richard Webster

69 pages of effects and routines using the much
under-utilised pendulum. Included are two complete
routines using no trickery whatsoever; a chapter
containing 7 impromptu effects that can be done
without trickery; a routine that can be used in
a lecture/demonstration that has everyone taking
your advertising material home with them; plus
11 effects by Richard Webster; a bonus effect by
Paul Marcus; and a chapter explaining how to
hypnotize with a pendulum in a close-up situation.

“Another ‘must-have’ book for every mentalist.”
- Bascom Jones, Magick

“Excellent. Very useful material.” - Ormond McGill

“Get this book – you won’t be sorry.” - Brother
Shadow, Vibrations
----------------------------------------------

Hope this helps!
First of all thanks mate, those replies helped me allot.

I got mistaken and thought this was the book people were talking about - http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780738701929/Pendulum-Magic-for-Beginners

I now see it's another book, so that's why I was confused.
Yes, Richard Webster's "Pendulum Magic for Beginners: Power to Achieve All Goals" is indeed "another book." Note that the publisher is Llewellyn, as I mentioned in my post above.

"Pendulum Magic" is a book I carry for sales, along with pendulums. It's not as low-priced as an old-school pitch-book, but it practically sells itself.

Richard's toast is buttered on both sides; Brookfield on one side and and Llewellyn on the other.
I highly recommend Stuart Cumberland's Pendulum Power Presentation. It is strong stuff, and there are a couple of very valuable lessons in there on the subject of using the pendulum for a personal reading.

I don't know if Stuart markets this, but this was something he tipped on The Mentalist Sanctum message board. I think you must be a member to have access to it.
Finally took the plunge this morning and ordered Pendulum Power :)
The ingenious Mr Cassidy also has The Elementulum in Psi Apps which I don't know but has been tempting me for some time. Anyone know this?

http://www.lybrary.com/psi-apps-p-965.html?manufacturers_id=41

s
Could they have written a more vague description of The Elementulum????? For a $25 download they should really give the buyer more info
One other that I overlooked when I posted a list of source material earlier on this thread and that no one has mentioned is George B. Anderson's "The Magic Pendulum." I believe it is still available from Magic, Inc. in Chicago. It contains a variety of different effects.

You will also find various books on pendulums, pendulums themselves and pendulum charts or boards in the new age section of most major bookstores (Borders, Waldon, Barnes & Noble, etc.) and at new age shops.
[quote]
On 2009-11-19 05:51, StuartNolan wrote:
The ingenious Mr Cassidy also has The Elementulum in Psi Apps which I don't know but has been tempting me for some time. Anyone know this?[/quote]

It's a clever little pendulum routine using Viking Magic's Transmental Gemsation which sells for about $50, I believe. Basically, four objects are placed in four separate bags and mixed. A random colored rod is chosen and hidden in the tube, but not revealed. It is used like a pendulum to find the object that it corresponds to. Obviously, I'm leaving a lot of the presentation out, but I think that will provide enough info about the routine.

-- Jheff
Thanks Jheff, that's very helpful of you. Sounds like a nice routine but I'm not sure that Transmental Gemsation suits me as a prop.

Cheers

Stuart
This is a great topic. I just got the Amazing Kreskin's Friar's Club video with the included pendulum, and was wondering what to do with it!
The Cassidy routine does sound interesting. Really shows what can be done when thinking outside the box