(Close Window)
Topic: What Kids Show Tricks Have Played Well for You?
It's been way too long since I did a kids show (years), but agreed to do one in a few months for a charity event. I need some refreshers on kids show tricks. I will do some classics, like C/R rope, mismade flag, lota bowl, tricky bottles, etc.. but wanted to get some additional feedback from you more experienced kid entertainers. What do you currently have in your show?
I should add, some of the routines I'm considering currently include (in no particular order):

C/R rope and Prof. Nightmare
C/R newspaper
Some silk and TT stuff
Tricky Bottles
MisMade Flag
Acrobatic Knot
Small Ass - with script for Princess and the Pea
Die Box
Aldo Colombini's Real Danger (substituting the danger of spike, with something fun like eggs, bag of money, bag of candy, etc.. I haven't decided yet)
What age group are you performing for?

I have found 7 years and older will watch a mature magic show just fine (actually my youngest son when he was 2yrs old would sit and watch a 2 hour show mature show no problem).

In the same vein I have found 7 years and older to be jade towards "story" tricks.

Now to answer your question: My foot twisting illusion and straitjacket escape are always big hits.
This will be mostly 9-10 year-olds.
I have not had good luck with the die box for this age.

I do the Scorpion for 9 - 10 year olds, and they love it. I think any "smash and stab" would work as long as it's not too dangerous.

Card in balloon is also good, since kids this age know (or almost know) their cards. I always have them draw a face on the balloon first.

Have fun - sometimes this age can be a challenge.

That's my 2 cents.

Jim
Hi Ronnie,

It's hard to say which tricks work as some can make effects that you wouldn't think would work work and vica versa.

Good strong effects (like those which you have listed) with a lot of family comedy work well for this age. I'd just pick the effects you can do well and see if you need to adapt the script.

Do many of those effects involve a helper?

George
George, to answer your question, most of those routines involve helpers.
Should be grand then
Gene Anderson newstear
Martin Lewis Cardographic
peanut butter and jelly Tim Wenk version
For that age group I get a great reaction from six card repeat, followed by cards across.
Also, I have a great routine involving swallowing a balloon, and that goes down well.
I can recommend: paper to bill (use it), thunbtip routine with silk, David Ginns Snake Can Routine with lots of gag wands, cut and restored rope together with gag scissor(s), tricky bottles, invisible deck.
Any trick, within reason, will work with kids audiences. It's all about how you present them, what bits of business you add, comedy timing, etc etc. There are plenty of books and videos with routines and gags that can be incorporated into just about any trick.

Just pick a trick, one that you do very well, and focus on the routine. It's all about the performance. Remember, put your total attention on the kids, and they will pay attention to you.
Sponge Balls, Linking Rings, Chop Cup and Egg Bag go over huge, if you have a great routine.
McCombical Deck
Snake Basket
Hippity-Hop Rabbits work well, due to being a sucker effect, for all ages
Kandu's The Rope Trick (uses three audience volunteers, and has lots of room to add material and other effects within the already great routine)
Chico
Bigger Wands
Chair Suspension helps bring up the value and ad the kodak moment
Try Miser's Dream, Corbett
Or....Silk to egg (Steve Dacri, Ammar and Don Alan come to mind)
The Magic Coloring Book seemed to tickle everybody . . .
My ungimmicked version of 3 coins across followed by miser dream is great and what's my job trick
I may also state the obvious here as well. Remember it is not so much the effect but what you do with it that leaves them liking you and loving the experience you create. =)

Kyle
I haven't tried it myself yet, but I can see Colombini's Real Danger working well for a kid's audience if you use an egg and a balloon-type hammer as someone else suggested on the forums here. With a gameshow patter and some funny stuff (safety goggles, of course) this should work perfectly. 9-10s know TV like their back pocket so that patter should suck them right in.
A few things naturally lend themselves to bigger reactions, like HUGE funny wands, flames (right or wrong) or a real live animal.

But beyond that, it has little to do with the trick at all. It's all what MrGreggy said above.

In the right hands (not mine), more fun and laughter could come from a 5 cent pencil than from anything at Hank Lee's.

Truly,
Tod
Mr. Greggy has hit in on the nose. Just look at that nose! Hehehehehe!! He's absolutely right. It's YOU and the attention you pay to the kids in the audience that makes the show a success. The effects you do aren't nearly as important as what you do with them and how you connect with the audience. Hope this makes sense.
Message: Posted by: A Birthday Magician (Nov 20, 2009 04:30PM)
That's a tough age group, I use egg bag, rope routine, bank night, sponge balls, paper to money...and balloon swallow
Message: Posted by: A Birthday Magician (Nov 20, 2009 04:30PM)
That's a tough age group, I use egg bag, rope routine, bank night, sponge balls, paper to money...and balloon swallow
Snake basket
Wolfs chicken sword
Lasso rope trick
Misers dream

They all play well for that age group
Wolf Magic - Run Wolf Run
Jay Mattioli OLBS 2.0 (didin't had they chance to use mine since I changed the theme of my show but I've seen one in action and the kids loved it!(thats why I bought one)) Like I said, I changed the theme of my show so I'm selling mine: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=338539&forum=79&4