(Close Window)
Topic: Regular Tally-Hos or Regular Bikes?
Which ones do you guys think are the best ones to perform close-up magic?
I've been using reg bikes since always, but I'm willing to give Tallys a try. So, what do you think? Should I make the change or stick with the bikes?

Thanks!
A quick search here on the Café should turn up plenty info on this very often discussed topic!
Bicycles are the most recognized, I'm sure you'd have no worries about using the Talley's but the do cost a bit more. I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra cost, but buy a few packs and give them a test drive, you might like em!
Oookay, thanks guys ;D!
I've always used bikes, but recently bought some tallys and I am in love with the circle backs. Funny thing is I always thought the fan backs look really cool so I bought both kind and the circles got my vote. Probably won't be using them for show anytime soon, bikes are still my workers!
The Tally-Ho Circle backs are nice, but my favorites are the fan backs.

Buy a Tally-Ho pack and see how they feel to you.

The only draw back is finding factory made gaffed cards.
But, that may not be a concern to you.
[quote]
On 2009-10-26 15:47, motown wrote:
The Tally-Ho Circle backs are nice, but my favorites are the fan backs.

Buy a Tally-Ho pack and see how they feel to you.

The only draw back is finding factory made gaffed cards.
But, that may not be a concern to you.
[/quote]

Factory gaffs for Tally's are more rare than bike gaffs. But this isn't really a huge issue when you can learn to split cards (get started in an hour with martini's DVD, seriously), or order printed cards (cardshark and others), or have martini make them for you himself. I find it greatly rewarding to make and use my own gaff cards and in my opinion they're just as good as a factory made gaff.
Well, regarding the gaff decks 'issue', I'm on top of it: I don't use gaffs. So, my only concern is about the handling, the pros and cons on doing some of the regular moves, such as the double-lift, fanning, cutting (how does the stacks maintains themselves [I suppose pretty good, since tallys are the favorite to XCMers]), and other kind of things like that. I know that they mainly WILL fell the same, but that's what a normal person would say. That's why I'm asking us, magicians, because only we know the difference a thicker card can make ;)
Thanks=)
I prefer the linoid finish on tallys as opposed to the air cushion finish on bikes. It's straight up slippery. I've also found that tallys seem to keep their shape longer than bikes. Generally I use bikes though, because tally's are rarer and more expensive.
Pedro,

Is there a reason you don't want to use gaffes cards?
Just wondering why.

There are so many great card tricks that couldn't be acheived with out so type of gaffed card.
Speaking of gaffs - Black Tally Ho comes with a double back and a blank face cards

Quality is better than Bicycles, but all depends on what you do with them. Price difference is small - less than 50c or so?
Buy Tally Hos. Bikes are crap quality cards.
I know I am going to get flack from people for this but if you want to do high quality work with cards you require high quality cards.
As for the audience familiarity issue, your performance is boring. If your audience is concentrating on the cards, they don't like/trust you and therefore they are attacking your cards. I have a friend who wanted to prove a point. He used my little pony cards, studs, tallys, steamboats and even a deck of Jerry's. NOT A SINGLE PERSON MENTIONED IT. We were at a bar and he went to multiple groups. Nobody said a thing.

Work on your magic and get some decent cards for Dai's sake.

J
[quote]
On 2009-10-26 22:39, Jay Mahon wrote:
Buy Tally Hos. Bikes are crap quality cards.
I know I am going to get flack from people for this but if you want to do high quality work with cards you require high quality cards.
[/quote]

Tally Ho's are good quality and the fan backs are beautiful! Only problem is my gaffs like Mystery Box and Extractor are in Bicycle back so that is what I use for performance.
I can honestly say that I would go with Tally-Ho's but their quality has gone down a bit over the years. They used to have a real "buttery" feel to them but that is almost gone. Maybe you can get lucky and find an older stock but they are still nice
For me, Tally-Ho.........
A note to those who have gaffs in certain cards. You can send them to someone who does custom gaffs (although we lost Neil Lester this year, God rest his soul) and they can either remake them with YOUR card of choice or add a new back to yours.

If the only thing holding you back is gaffs then you are a fool for sacrificing quality for something so easily fixed. (Not a shot at any one person just a general statement)

J
The cards that work the best are the cards you're used to, regardless of quality. I go for bikes because they're good, cheaper, and easier to acquire, especially at the spur of the moment.
Tallys are cooler, but Bikes seem to dispell the idea of trick cards with laymen.
[quote]
On 2009-10-27 11:50, Frank Starsini wrote:
The cards that work the best are the cards you're used to, regardless of quality. I go for bikes because they're good, cheaper, and easier to acquire, especially at the spur of the moment.
[/quote]

Oh yeah? Me too!
Any decent cards will do.
Which is better?
Doesn't matter.
Forget the cards,
Work on patter.
Nice poetry!!!

-=tabman
[quote]
On 2009-10-26 22:24, motown wrote:
Pedro,

Is there a reason you don't want to use gaffes cards?
Just wondering why.

There are so many great card tricks that couldn't be acheived with out so type of gaffed card.
[/quote]

I know there are.
It's just my style of magic I guess. There's NOTHING more rewarding to me than being able to hand out a deck of cards at any moment the spectator asks for it. I've made people cry and scream, scared of a simple three card monte routine. So, I'm used to not use gaffs. But that doesn't mean I don't. I have those Ellusionist bicycle gaff decks, which have outstanding gaff cards, and also use blank faced or double backers cards (or even the entire deck), to perform some tricks. But, my point is, if all this props vanished magically from my shelf, I wouldn't be in a huge trouble.
I agree, work on the patter and the type of cards shouldn't matter but hey all the best craftsmen use inferior tools, artists paint with lesser quality paints and brushes, racecar drivers prefer the cheaper brakes.

Why bother paying the extra money? Wait a second.... It is CHEAPER for me to use HIGH quality premium cards (tally ho, bees, etc.) than it is for you using Bikes? How is this possible?

I buy in bulk. My cost per deck is under 2 dollars. I can use out a deck in a single performance. Which means quality is of paramount importance. You go to a gig with yellow gross sticky cards. I invest in my tools and often give them away, it makes a lasting impression. Don't believe me? Ask a local politician who's son still cherishes the deck with "the spots that come off".

He's been in touch a number of times and never fails to mention his son and those cards.

Enjoy your bikes...

J
[quote]
On 2009-10-27 13:55, Jay Mahon wrote:
I agree, work on the patter and the type of cards shouldn't matter but hey all the best craftsmen use inferior tools, artists paint with lesser quality paints and brushes, racecar drivers prefer the cheaper brakes.

Why bother paying the extra money? Wait a second.... It is CHEAPER for me to use HIGH quality premium cards (tally ho, bees, etc.) than it is for you using Bikes? How is this possible?

I buy in bulk. My cost per deck is under 2 dollars. I can use out a deck in a single performance. Which means quality is of paramount importance. You go to a gig with yellow gross sticky cards. I invest in my tools and often give them away, it makes a lasting impression. Don't believe me? Ask a local politician who's son still cherishes the deck with "the spots that come off".

He's been in touch a number of times and never fails to mention his son and those cards.

Enjoy your bikes...

J
[/quote]

Good point, but that gaff can be made with any card stock. Not just Tally-Hos...
I was accused of using trick decks when I had bought some of the E decks in the past. I have had no such accusations since I started using tally's. I think that the cards being black or white was the biggest issue for me. Out side of a few frequent card players I have met, most people don't even notice that they are not bikes.
I think it is safe to say that ellusionist cards attract suspicion. They are full of flash and are designed to be eye catching.

It's expected.

J
[quote]
On 2009-10-27 14:28, Jay Mahon wrote:
I think it is safe to say that ellusionist cards attract suspicion. They are full of flash and are designed to be eye catching.

It's expected.

J
[/quote]

I like collecting playing cards, so I usually pick up most new decks. I know they're probably not going to be worth anything in the future, but it's just a fun thing to do.
I have a first edition/printing of the black tigers, with the god awful stench and all somewhere. I'm assuming those might fetch a decent price one day.

Who knows...

J
International Magic in London sell packets of the basic Tally Ho gaffs in circle and fan back. There's four of each d/b's: r/r, b/b, r/b, and blank faces r & b. About £8.00 the set. I've found that all I need.
I was sitting at one of the impromptu performing tables at the Magic Castle last week with three other members (one of whom is recognized as a first-class card guy) who were doing a bit of sessioning. Each had a deck of cards in his hands: one had a deck of regular blue Bikes; one had a deck of red Bike fan backs; and one had a deck of red Tally-Ho circle backs.

The moral of this little story: to each his own.
I have never seen Tally Hos' in any store . Are they common anywhere or can they only be purchased online?
[quote]
On 2009-10-29 02:23, manal wrote:
I have never seen Tally Hos' in any store . Are they common anywhere or can they only be purchased online?
[/quote]

http://www.batteriesandbutter.com/page/bb/CTGY/playcards

cheapest tally's I have found online
I've yet to try Tally-ho's, don't believe I've ever seen them in my area. What would be the best to get (Only one's I know of are the one's E sells) I'm partial to black decks, but does the color fade off these like the black tiger/ghost/master decks?

Brandon Juhnke
Theory11 has fan and circle back Tally Ho decks for sale that start at $2.05 a deck.The more you buy...the price goes down.

http://www.theory11.com/playingcards

I used to see them in drug stores, but only Bee cards are there now.
I'm more bike performer

but... I had one tally ho that´s had around 2 years!!! and I can still do decents fans with it,rather to my old bikes that in 3-4 months looks like garbage
2 years????? WOW, I don't think I have packs over 2 weeks old!
Tally's are remarkable for how long they last.

Any pro moving away from bikes reluctantly would do well to move to Tally's.

J
I'm no pro, but it would be worth the money to get a more reseliant deck to practice with.
If you don't mind dropping the cash, Kardwell is fantastic for that.

J
The Walgreen's STUD decks faro and fan beautifully and the decks last a long time.

If you made your own gaffs ( Martini's Lickety Split booklet teaches you ) you'd be set.
I like the Walgreen studs too, they really faro well. Tally ho fan back are my other favorite
This topic is continued at [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=5114&forum=203]Tally Ho or Bicycle?[/url]

See also:
[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=294771&forum=203]Tally ho or bikes?[/url]

Also see the longer topic [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=24246&forum=203&start=60]Bicycle cards aginst Tally-ho's (my opinion)[/url], which starts with a different question, but ends up with a discussion of the issue this topic is about.