(Close Window)
Topic: Mindvention Fun
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Oct 27, 2009 11:31PM)
For those of you coming to mindvention, Katalina and I are unveiling a very interesting piece.

We were challenged a while back by a college on the East Coast. After our show, where Katalina plays the mystic and I am… well… Me, some of the college professors began to ask many questions. I told them that the answer to their questions was simple, “I’m amazing and my wife is a mystic.”

Surprisingly they were not satisfied with that answer. We recapped the show for them and showed how we explained, demonstrated, and tested her abilities under extremely fair conditions. They agreed that it was seemingly very fair. However, they were concerned because we had set the conditions. (snivelers) So we asked them what do you want? They came back to us with their challenge.

There were three professors, one was a Mathematics PHD, One had a PHD in Economics, and the third was a doctor of Psychophysics. They had decided after an excited flurry of ideas, that multiple variables would be the key for proof of what they had just seen. They had believed that a “Stooge” (whatever that is) might be responsible for some of the transference of knowledge. It was therefore important that this possibility be eliminated. They also wanted to eliminate me from knowing what variables(s) were being selected.

They determined that we might be very clever in uncovering hidden knowledge so to thwart this possibility they would introduce as many variables with as many people as possible (and each of these people would be isolated from the others) and I would not get to know any of those variables. In this way even if I were able to learn one of two of the variables through clever methods or bribery, we could not possibly know them all.

But then at the last minute they changed the conditions of the test. Katalina had to come up with the answer before the final outcome could be tabulated. It was a stimulating and unnerving challenge.

Under the watchful eyes of an audience of over 300 people we were put to the test. It was a very close call and in fact a mistake was made, Katalina had gotten it wrong. There was a hush and someone in the audience who had seen our show earlier demanded that the “audience” results be relooked. They were and there was a mistake. It turned out that Katalina was correct, Pandemonium broke out.

Afterwards, we had dinner with the professors they were quite cordial and very interesting guys and we spent a lot of time avoiding their questions.

So for those of you coming out to Mindvention, stay tuned for this interesting piece.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Oct 28, 2009 08:38AM)
Daveid, look forward to connecting at Mindvention. We are planning to party it up a bit and have some fun.

We performed last night in St. Louis and again the mistake occurred… is it us… or them??

Today we are performing at Evansville IN. We will see if it happens again. Very odd. Come on out if you are in the area.
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Oct 28, 2009 08:07PM)
Today’s show was a blast. We had a . . . how do you say . . . an interesting audience. (very eclectic) Many different viewpoints of what we did.

The Professor’s Multi-Variable Test went great and there were no mistakes in this performance, Hmmmm. The interesting part of this performance is once the challenge/test is explained you can almost see people lean forward in their seats. They really start to look for all the ways that we might creatively be cheating.

It is an exhausting piece as there is so much explanation, proving, staging, and blocking going on but that is what establishes the level of fairness that makes this so strong for the audience. Today, I had one female that patted me down “police style” to ensure I had no electronics on my person. (hey, that was not so bad, kind of a fringe benefit of the piece.)

I explained that even if I did have an electronic device on me, it would not help since I do not know any of the variables. She agreed but she said she would rather err on the side that I might be a really good cheater. This received a good round of laughter from the audience.

Tomorrow we will be playing outside of Pittsburg and it is a long drive. We might not do the piece tomorrow if we are too tired from the drive.

So are there any other Mindvention attendees out there??
This is just pouring salt in the wound. I wanted to go to Mindvention this year. I just couldn't make it happen. And looking at that list of speakers this year is very impressive. Now you tease us with this... I bet it is just one big party there with so much creativity happening.

How about a video or some pics of this effect of yours??

Also..what in the world is Psychophysics?

Are you planning on releasing this effect?
I don't mean to make it worse richard but I think this one is going to be crazy good.
my only disappointment is that Berk won't be able to make it. his performance last year made him a 'must see' this year.

I guess we'll just have to make due with the rest of these folks.
hmmm cassidy, maven, nyman, nu...it's going to be fantastic.
....and I can't wait to meet you too, Christian and Katalina !
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Oct 30, 2009 09:49AM)
Last night’s show had a new wrinkle. We gave a little more freedom to the audience as the test unfolded. It was a balancing act between keeping control of the audience and letting them control the show. Whew!

They came up with a few new ideas. They had two people take Katalina outside the room and stand guard over her. (I usually don’t like this idea because it disrupts the pacing of the show, but since this is such a unique piece I let it go) Once again the audience had someone pat me down for electronics. A guy this time so it was not as much fun as the last show.

They were also much more protective of the information as in the last shows. They were going to ensure that all the information was protected more than a Brinks Home Security System.

When Katalina came back in and wrote down her answer they stood guard over that as well to insure she could not sneakily change it.

When everything was tabulated at the end . . . we milked it a bit . . . Katalina hesitated to pick up her board to show the answer. We acted like something was wrong and we were going to bale on the test. I thought the audience was going to charge the stage and grab her board themselves. Then she flipped it over and . . . . (well of course if matched . . . we’re amazing) The audience literally jumped up and down and screamed. We received a standing ovation during the middle of the show. That was nice.

This piece has become a real study in audience management and audience teasing for us.

Richard, too bad you won’t be able to make Mindvention. Currently, we are not planning on releasing this, in fact, we did not expect this piece to be as strong or exciting as it is.

We will try to get a video or pics up… that can be a difficult thing to get someone to film the show while we perform.

Dmoses, we look forward to meeting you as well. Make sure you tell me your Magic Café name or we won’t know who you are!
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Oct 30, 2009 11:11PM)
Well, we just finished our show here in Pittsburgh. The audience was quite reserved and non-emotive. It was like performing for a group of Engineers. We decided mid show to not perform the Professor’s Ultimate Challenge.

We also changed up mid-show to more of a magic show than a mentalism show. The audience seemed to enjoy that much more. It was a strange audience and we evaluated after the show as to why this audience seem so unusual. We really had no idea.

The audience reacted quite strongly to a Cards across routine (with a mentalism slant) and less strongly to some of the more standard mentalism pieces.

It could have been us. Katalina and I felt that our pacing was just a little off tonight. If only we could really get in the minds of the audience. We did have many people stay after the show to ask the usual questions. We were just not fully satiated with their emotional reactions. Maybe we are just too picky.

We drive back home tomorrow to enjoy a Halloween party with friends and then we take Sunday off. Monday we are giving a corporate speech. So we will not be able to perform the Professor’s Ultimate there since it is a speaking gig.

But we do have a corporate mentalism gig on Tuesday so we will give it another run through. Just a couple more times to work it out before Mindvention.

We look forward to meeting many of you there.
C&K,

I so love following your daring approaches at live performances. From dealing with audiences who can't hear, to skeptics to grabby handers, you seem to be able to turn on a dime to make the show fit the audience.

That's probably the greatest magic one (or two, in your case) can do.

Thank you both so much for sharing!

Best of luck on Monday and of course Tuesday with Professor's Ultimate. I'm glued to the seat to see what happens next!

DT3
Christian,

Looking forward to seeing you and your piece at Mindvention next week. It sounds great. As for starting a party, I'm sure you'll start a fun one.

But the big party won't be with you. It'll be at whatever bar Cassidy will be at.

:)

-- Jheff
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 1, 2009 02:25PM)
We made it back home and we are getting a chance to relax. Well, do laundry, clean the Van, pay bills, etc, if you can call that relaxing. We did enjoy catching up with friends last night and today watching the Colts battle the 49ers.

Don, thanks for the good words, we have enjoyed your works and look forward to your next E-book. The next time we tour through Florida we will have to meet up.

Jheff, looking forward to meeting you at Mindvention next week, it is going to be great fun for us as we don’t get to play as often as we should. We will be stopping off in Denver for a show and a meeting before flying on to Vegas.

We are getting there a day early so we are hoping to take in Kevin Burke’s show, he has been very gracious with the Mindvention Attendees. What a guy!!

I tried to contact Luke Jermay about his show, but he has not E-mailed back or Tweeted back. So we will see when we get there.
I live in Denver... give me a shout when you are in town (phone number on my website dannyarcher.com)...

maybe we can meet for coffee or a meal?... as you can guess things are super-busy this week for me with all the last minute things...

I will be at Luke's show on Friday...

Danny Archer
Hey I'm going to try to go to lukes show on friday also
Hey K&C,

Glad to hear you will be at MindVention. It will be a pleasure to see you there.

Cheers ...... Charles
I saw their act a few times and all I can say is "awesome". An excellent show from two hardworking pros out there doing magic everyday that no one (Magicians) hears about! looking forward to seeing you all at the Mindvention as well :)))))

Bill
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 3, 2009 10:57PM)
Danny, will give you a call when we get to Denver.

Charles and Blake we look forward to meeting you at Mindvention. It should be a blast.

Bill, Thanks for the compliment!.. I look forward to your comments on The Professor’s Ultimate Test.

Our Speaking gig went well. The event had a hiccup when a presenter didn’t show up and there was going to be a huge dead time for a large group of people in one of the rooms. The promoter of the event was in full panic and another speaker said he would fill in “for a price”. The promoter and the speaker tried to come to an agreement but it was evident that the “fill in speaker” was trying to hold him for ransom so to speak. They could not come to an agreement so the negotiation came to an end. The promoter was now disheveled and about one step from the loony bin. We told him we would fill in and we could worry about any payment after the event. At this point he was resigned to defeat and with a blank stare mumbled an OK.

He had no idea that we also were entertainment performers. We went into the room and did some attendee housekeeping for about 15 minutes and then performed an impromptu mentalism show. The promoter almost peed himself. He was totally blown away by the surprise. After the event he thanked us for helping him out of a jam without making the process difficult.

This paid off in many ways as now he has become our cheerleader and has already introduced us to some other contacts. Sometimes simply helping someone out of a tough jam without worry to your own compensation can pay off in ways you don’t expect.

Well, that was the good news. The bad news . . . . .

The show we did today was not what we call a great show. Katalina’s microphone went out in the first 5 minutes of the show. Come on!! Fortunately, we have a back up that we can grab pretty fast but it takes a minute to fix since her mic is inside her dress. For some reason the tech problem threw our timing off a bit. The audience was also subdued and that just did not help the situation. We felt the show dragged a bit and we decided not to do the Professor’s Ultimate Challenge as this effect takes quite a bit of effort and timing.

We felt the show was really slow but afterwords we had about 20 people who stayed for an impromptu 20 min close up show. It turns out the person who hired us loved it and her boss already had given her kudos for bringing us out. Go figure.

Early tomorrow we fly to Denver for one last chance to perform the Professor’s Ultimate Challenge before Mindvention. We have to get up at 0430 . . . . ugh I don’t do mornings.

By the way, Katalina had come up with a great idea to change the colors of the markers used for the final revelation at the end as it brings greater focus to the climax of the effect. This way it stands out from the rest of the stuff written on the multiple dry erase boards used in the audience. Great Idea. I knew I married her for a reason.
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 5, 2009 08:15AM)
Our Show yesterday was a noon show in a beautiful downtown convention property. Nooners are always a little touch and go as you never know what the mood of the audience will be. Sometimes entertainment is a tough sell during the day when people have other things on their mind. However, this crowd was ready to have a good time.

Half way through the show we whipped out the Ultimate Professor’s challenge. We took our time and let them be as fair as they wanted. The ending with Katalina’s nice little touch really made it stand out. The crowd loved it and we are looking forward to presenting this at Mindvention this year.

This will be our last post until after Mindvention, unless you would like a running commentary of what is going on when we get there. Let me know if you would like such a thing.
Thanks for breakfast C&K...

looking forward to seeing your act!
Gino M.

Nice to see you post. I hope you are feeling better.

Tony
Dear C&K,

Your running commentaries make for great reading. Keep them coming please.

And Thank You for the time and effort you take in sharing your experiences with us.

Cheers,
Durian
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 6, 2009 11:37AM)
Durian-red,
Thanks for the kind words, but I think you are the only one reading our ramblings.

Our Mindvention fun started in Denver. We had breakfast with Danny Archer and had an amazing conversation. Danny is very creative and was telling us of the many projects he is working on along with and a set of mentalism “lecture notes” he will be bringing to Mindvention. He told us some of the offerings that will be in the notes and they sound like the kind of solid, real world stuff that people will use. I am sure we will be picking them up. He also tipped the effect he will be showing during the Attendee show and selling later. This is a killer mentalism effect that will rock for any close up worker. This is one of those effects you know he has worked out because he talked about the many nuances that and subtleties of bringing maximum impact to the effect. I don’t want to give too much away until he shows it at Mindvention.

We flew into Las Vegas yesterday and had a nice meal and walked around to stretch our legs. We had decided to see Kevin Burks show last night. We showed up at the Fitz a little early. The show room he is performing in is a dream for any stand up worker. It has great lighting and an intimate stage that played very well. We talked with Kevin for about thirty minutes before the show. He is very nice and very humble for someone with so much success in Vegas.

How do you describe Kevin Burke’s show?!? Kevin does not hold back, his booming voice and humorous intro riveted the front rows immediately. But not to worry if you think sitting in the back makes you safe, you would be wrong. Kevin walks through the audience looking for his victims. He show starts out with standard standup comedy feel and then slowly introduces the mentalism. Within 15 minutes he has bonded with and won over select people in the audience with who supply many call-back bits. His rapid fire wit and sometimes self deprecating humor makes the audience love him. Even though the house was light, you did not feel it because he squeezed every bit of fun and entertainment out of the people who were there.

He did a thought of card revelation with much comedy. He had one woman in the audience in fits of laughter many times that made the rest of us convulse as well. He performed a book test that again was so full of comedy that you almost forget that he really does conjure up a word merely thought of. Katalina and I watched the audience and they where loving it. Kevin used my wife in a very fun and slightly risqué bit that reveals a fun and bawdy details of people’s lives. Now my Greyhound bus story is out in the public. Curses to you Kevin! He also performs a smash and stab bit that again uses huge helpings of comedy.

In a final piece he uses three different men to become a kind of human instrument. He selected me to be one of them. Once on stage he asks each person where they are from, what they do, etc. When he came to me, I figured he would skip the “what do you do question”. But no . . he didn’t. So I answer, I’m in marketing, figuring that would be a good answer and he would move along. But no . . knowing he had me . . he presses, “What do you market?” I saw the twinkle in his eye and knew I was in trouble, my answer was quite vague and he immediately fired back . . . Oh, is that what they call “Crack dealer” now. Not letting me off the hook he had some more fun with me and finally, thankfully, we moved on.

After the show we sat and talked until after midnight. Joining us for the show was Dick Brooks and Dorothy Dietrich from Scranton. What a charming and fun couple with a rich history of magic. We sat around and swapped lies and stories for hours. I mentioned to Kevin that I had seen his Music bit with the foam bats (The human instrument piece that I was a part of) in other parts of the country. We even were able to put a name to one person. He bemoaned that yes, it is one of his pet routines that has been ripped off by a few performers. He has tried to maintain control of the piece but it has not been easy. He also winked that we might see some other pieces that have been borrowed/ripped-off/stolen while we are here.

After the show we went back to the Hotel and played a little Craps, the table was hot and I walked away with a $140 profit. (remember my wife is a mystic)

Kevin was very gracious and fun to hang with.
Dick and Dorothy are so much fun you want to grab them up and hug them.

Today we plan on seeing “Defending the Caveman” This is a one man play what we have wanted to see for many years. When we were on tour through St. Louis many years back, Kevin was performing the play there but we were unable to match schedules to see it, so we are looking forward to finally seeing it today. Also we will try to see Luke Jermay tonight. But we have not been able to contact him in any way before the show so we will see what happens.
He`s not the only one reading. I`m loving your reports, too. See you in a couple days Don`t forget my lightbulbs! :)
I'm enjoying the read too, it is as close to Minvention that I will get this year.

Tony
Christian & Katalina
Great meeting you last night and spending the extra hour or two talking and trading stories after Kevin's great show.

It seems Luke Jermay or whoever raised the prices to his show just time for Mindvention. We had two for one tickets for $29.95 the pair, but when we went to the box office they said it was the old price and the "new price" was about $50.00 a ticket. I think you can hunt and find Bette Midler tickets for about that. And Bette's show must have 25 or so performers on stage, with a million dollar or more production.

With tax and the "special copuon" it came to over $52.00 for two. So we decided instead to go downtown and catch Kevin Burk's show. Wow! What a great move as he is just so much fun, doing what many think is impossible....COMEDY mentalism!

If you get any other news about Luke's show, let us know. We are at Palace Station, under our names.

Here is the link to Magic Café members reviews of our "Haunted! Mind Mysteries & THE Beyond!" show and seance, that we were talking about. Hope you get to catch it next time you are in our part of the country.

Haunted -- a show review, outstanding!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=194507&forum=62&19

and
Best ghost produced at a seance ever!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=309969&forum=14&5

Regards,
Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
It was great having you guys at the show. And hanging out afterward was even better.
More on the Luke Jermay show at O'Sheas.

Their own web site for O'Sheas says $29.95
Go to
http://www.harrahs.com/osheas/entertainment.html

They must be psychic and saw us coming.

It is clear they raised the price as of this week, and have not even had time or pre thought to raise the price on their web site. Here is the quote from the above page as of Friday lunch time.

"Jermay.... tickets are $29.95 plus taxes and fees. Get yours at the ...box offices or call
1-800-221-7299. "

Not so the price is now $50 plus taxes and fees.

Read my mind!

Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
That's funny :)
Dick:

In two weeks, the price will be back down again. That is my prediction.

(By that time the Mindvention people will be gone, and the prospective audience smaller...)
Just to follow up the $29.95 two for one ticket is STILL available on line at
http://www.vegas4locals.com/couponmental.html
On the site it says you do not have to be a local to use it.

Warning! As of last night if you go to use it they say it is the old ticket and not good anymore, the price is now $52.00 or so

Regards
D%D
I heard Jim Callaghan is performing at MV, is that true?

Candin
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 7, 2009 12:03AM)
This morning Katalina was ready to go. She took me shopping . . . (Oh Boy) There are lots of trendy and high fashion shops here and Katalina knows about a few hidden ones. She was looking for a couple of costume additions for our show. I must admit there was a few things she picked out that were very cool. We were on the run all morning (about 5 hours of shopping) I believe I deserve some sort of award.

We then made it to Kevin Burk’s other show, “Defending the Caveman”. Awesome show!!! His ability to pull the audience in was outstanding. The show is funny and poignant. It is a one man show about relationships and how men and women communicate. The show has that same feel as “Triple Espresso” for those of you who have gotten to take that one in. Well written and superbly executed the audience loved it. Because the subject has meaning, many people were moved emotionally and we witnessed many women giving Kevin a full bear hug after the show. (What a gig!)

Afterwards, we hung out, had a great dinner and talked, and talked, and told stories, and even tipped some very cool ideas. It was great fun. Kevin is a super gentleman and very kind man, definitely take in his shows if you can and enjoy watching a seasoned pro work the room.

The bad news was that we had such a good time jamming with Kevin that we lost track of the clock and were ended up running late for Luke Jermay’s show. We go there a little late and . . . .

OK, here we go.

First the prices have been raised as Dick stated but I don’t think it was a conspiracy as all of the shows under Luke’s producer have been raised. It was just bad timing for us.

We arrived a little late to the show and no one seemed to know about the half price tickets. I was tempted to pay full price just to get in and see the show but… I wanted to get the full story for everyone so we waited. The guy at the door tried to straighten out the misunderstanding but he was no help. Since we were late and after talking with the ticket guy the show was now half over, we decided to have some drinks downstairs and wait to talk to Luke after the show.

We met Danny Archer as he was leaving the show and explained the confusion. He went and talked with Luke about the mix up. Here is what happened:

Luke was fully prepared to give the half price tickets at the door but he did not know that many people were coming one and two days early. He was thinking that people would only come and see him during the Mindvention time frame. He also was going to meet them at the door and authorize the half off that way. Since we were running late we did not get to see Luke at the door, hence no one else knew about the special. If I get a chance to speak with him personally I will relay any other information. Of course, I can’t help but think this would have been a lot easier if he would have answered any of my Tweets or E-mails.

Christopher, the light bulb will be waiting for you . . . . along with something else (insert evil laugh here) Many people are very excited to see your full show. Katalina and I are looking forward to some of the surprises you hinted at. I think it will be spectacular.

Candin, Jim will be doing a lecture at Mindvention. I am sure it will be as controversial as he likes to be. Won’t it be a disappointment if it isn’t?
Thanks again for coming to see Caveman. It takes a special kind of fortitude to sit through two different solos shows, both starring me.

And thanks for lunch. It was great to hang out.

~Kevin
I'm looking forward to seeing your show in a few weeks kevin - your youtube stuff looks fantastic!
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 8, 2009 01:59AM)
I figure this was our last day of rest before we turbo out on mentalism for the next three days.

The day started with getting some breakfast and then Katalina wanted to trim her hair. I negotiated a fine deal where I got to play a little craps and she got her hair cut. The table was hot and I made $375. That was awesome . . . so I thought.

Once Katalina learned about my good luck we made a quick trip to the clothes stores we visited the other day. Needless to say, I am now even again…. How did that happen?

We then hooked up with some friends that showed up for Mindvention and ended up talking all day. We took a nap and then went looking for the party at Jack’s that Psychic Samurai was talking about, but as Dick commented it was way too loud at Jacks. We did not find anyone at Jacks.

So some of us started hanging out at Cabo’s, a tequila bar in the casino. It was great fun and mostly we talked about the business of magic/mentalism. What is happening with entertainment during recession, what we are doing to increase our business, how we are defining ourselves, and how we are branding our businesses during this time. It was really an outstanding conversation and the majority of us in this group were working full time pros, so the ideas that were being swapped around were pure gold.

At about 12:30 am we called it a night figuring this would be our last chance to get a really good night’s sleep.

Mindvention starts at noon.
I got to the palace station last night...after playing some black jack, I spotted chris taylor, jamie grant, jeremy weiss and matthew johnson.

we hung out for a while..i was star struck...lol

it was a great time!
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 9, 2009 11:15AM)
The morning had a great deal of electricity as many old friends were meeting and having coffee while waiting for the Registration table to open. A small hiccup occurred when the Palace Station Casino inadvertently double booked a room for Mindvention. Because of this, the first Attendee Show was moved to Monday. Danny and Robert handled the hiccup with ease and everything flowed very smoothly.

The first lecture was a Panel Discussion starring 3 performers (Shawn, Rich, and Dave) from Australia that successfully wrote and designed a theater show. They gave great advice about what is important about writing and designing a Mentalism show. The discussion was full of humor, aha moments, and very interesting concepts. I talked with them for half an hour in the lobby and they were outstanding gentlemen and full of creative knowledge.

Next was David Knight who churned through a plethora of mentalism effects that had everyone rushing to his table after the lecture. While talking to people, it came evident that everyone had a different favorite effect that he demonstrated.

We all then broke into small groups of mental masters and headed out to eat. Katalina and I had a great group that laughed and shared fun stories, it was an absolute blast at Dinner. We had eleven people at our table.

Next was the Alain Nu lecture. Always professional and thoughtful he had the audience riveted with very impressive demonstrations and thoughtful philosophical ruminations. He told an outstanding story of how his card at any number basically changed his life. His book test was very, very clever and for some worth the price of the convention. (as a side note, later that night I had a fun conversation with Alain on mentalism performing theory.)

Much buzz centered around Christopher Carter doing his full college show. He did not disappoint. Starting with a tossed out deck that had many mentalists scratching their heads, he exploded with a Q & A that was very fun, funny, and entertaining. At one moment in his show he has two people come up and hold Florescent light bulbs in their hands, after explaining the power of the mind, suddenly the light bulbs burst into full light. The show had a very clever, fast pace that had everyone laughing and enjoying the madness. Christopher ended his show with a very intriguing stage Scrabble piece that again had us all scratching our heads. Christopher received a well deserved standing ovation at the end of his show.

Although the formal part of the show was over, the party continued in the downstairs in the bars. Discussions, joke telling, stories, and fun continued. Alain Nu was making a glass roll around on the table with the power of his mind. Cassidy, Maven, Burger, and McBride had another table involved in a loud, fun discussion of all things Mental. We sat with Larry Becker and Kevin Burke and had a great time. Unbelievable that 80 year old Larry partied late into the night without missing a beat.

It had been a great time and Kat and I look forward to today’s events.
Reading this makes me want to be there now!! I fly out to Vegas Saturday, if anyone remains in the vacinity let me know and if time permits we can jam !
[quote]
On 2009-11-09 13:42, looch wrote:
Reading this makes me want to be there now!! I fly out to Vegas Saturday, if anyone remains in the vacinity let me know and if time permits we can jam !
[/quote]

Why didn't you head out sooner you crazy foo?
Was there last year on business... This year I'm going out with a friend for pleasure :) gonna experience Vegas for what it is
Wear protection
Hi Christian,

I just got a call from Jim and he decompressed about his talk there. He said he looked for you and Kat but apparently it was SRO and he couldn't spot you. Did you two see his talk? Would love your point-of-view, of course.

Like Tony, I'm enjoying your Mindvention reports immensely.

Warm regards,
Mick
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 10, 2009 04:46AM)
Day two of Mindvention was outstanding:

First not enough sleep…. But we drive on……

The Callahan lecture was fun. He kept the attention of the entire audience for a full hour. For those that love Callahan it was a home run…. For those that love to hate Callahan it was disappointing as he was charming and non-controversial, almost offering an olive branch for some that find him irritating. He was funny and told a great story as to how he used publicity to get him to the show “Phenomena”.

Next was the Larry Becker interview. What can you say about this? Larry is a great influence in mentalism and his book “Stunners” is a modern classic. He was dapper and regaled us with great stories that included an account about Jack Benny. He deserved the Life time achievement award. This was great fun.

Next was a panel discussion about Mentalism with Nyman, Cassidy, Banachek, and Carter. Wow, what a fun ride. The questions from the audience combined with the pithy and funny comments from the panel had the audience spellbound for . . . . . well a long time. This was a true highlight for many people at the convention. Smart, Funny, and informative this panel was absolutely a one of a kind moment for many up and coming mentalists.

The Andy Nyman lecture was fast paced fun, lots of interesting effects combined with mentalism theory made for a great learning experience. His comments on how to bring a spectator on stage was funny and right to the point. It is just so difficult to explain all of the information that is put out in these mini lectures and panels.

After a short break it was time for the American Attendee show. I am sorry to say I was unable to get all the names of the people who performed during this time but I will do my best to remember what I saw. First was a very clever Clue game presentation. Next was a Spoon bending/rapid hypnotic induction demo . . . very impressive. Then came a piece about Fortune telling fish and adding the numbers on a dollar bills, it was so funny I can hardly remember the whole premise, but it did come to a successful end and great applause. Next, Danny Archer performed a very commercial and hard hitting piece about reading the mind of an audience member and determining what movie they are thinking of. He is selling this one and it is well worth the money. Then came a hard hitting lottery prediction that seemed totally impossible . . . I mean the odds were something like a Bazillion to one.

To end the Attendee show was Katalina and I. We performed two different effects one was a piece about post cards and Candy, the other was the Professor’s Challenge. I will let others that are reading this post make their comments about how they liked it.

I had a great time talking with the Germans and Belgians and trading cultural stories that made us laugh out loud. They are a great group and I was very happy to meet and party with them. To end the night was the usual gathering of the mental minds. We ended up listening to Max Maven entertaining us about some great stories of his travels in Japan. Finally, sleeplessness over took us and I am ready to pass out as I finish this post at 3:00 in the morning.

Oh, and at some time during the night Scott Wells interviewed us for Magicnewswire.com. You will have to check there to see if it got posted yet. It was basically a repost of the day’s events. Magicnewswire.com gets a huge recommendation from us. We enjoy the content on that sight greatly.

Please excuse me if I made any errors or forgot something.
So Katalina and Christian, being one of the Germans you were writing about I give my compliments sincerely back to you and your lovely wife. Your performance was great and we are still bursting out laughing when we think and talk about what and how you have presented your act. Perfect to close the show! Jan
Message: Posted by: Christian & Katalina (Nov 11, 2009 05:43AM)
The final day of Mindvention . . . . .

Lack of sleep begins to play tricks with the mind . . . but this was very very very fun.

We start the day off with the Foreign Country Attendee show. It was great . . . so many good acts . . . Pete from Finland (or Findland . . . inside joke) did a very direct teabag divination . . . I have no idea . . . and he was very funny.

Eric Samuels was very funny in a dry kind of way . . . . with many inside jokes. It was a great routine. It was a prediction effect with Candy. Awesome.

Matthew Johnson somehow combined the Village People with a tossed out deck . . .if you weren’t here it is too difficult to explain. It was commercial all the way… you know this kills for laymen.

There were many others and they were creative and fun.

This was followed by two lectures . . . . One by Cassidy, the other by Maven. If you are a mentalist, nothing more needs to be said. Two giants of mentalism lecturing back to back… WOW.

The night finished with an all star show … Sean Taylor MCed, Andy Nyman, Devin Knight, Alain Nu, Cassidy, and Maven. Max Maven closed the show to a standing ovation.

In closing, I will say that this was a great convention, Danny and Robert did an outstanding job.

A lot of what made this convention rock was the stuff that happened outside the lectures and shows . Kat and I met so many new people. We had a great time with Jousha Quinn, great thinking and all around nice guy… plays the piano very well by the way.

Got to listen to some stories by Chris Kenner, Hung out with Jeff McBride, Laughed and cut up with Kevin Burke, Found out what new projects are coming out with Todd Carr, Christopher Taylor was very kind and super nice, I met Blake Adams and we talked about working in the College market, Tom Paxton showed me a very interesting business card with an optical illusion, Dan and Diane Solo were great fun and presented a gambling mystery that . . . fooled me. I got to see my old friend Bill Ogletree who with his biting wit kept me in laughing throughout the convention. I hung out and talked with Larry Becker who’s book “Stunners” inspired me greatly many years back . . and so many more people that I can not mention them all because I am really tired.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this 2 week blog as I will be signing off for a while and getting some sleep.
Message: Posted by: Christophercarter (Nov 11, 2009 07:39AM)
I've loved every word of your blog. Enjoy some rest. You deserve it. And thanks more than I can say for all your help and for introducing me on Sunday.

-Chris
I too had a great time meeting you all.

Christian, your performance was very entertaining and I am glad I had the opportunity to meet you both. Best of luck on all your future endeavors.

Jan, It was a pleasure meeting you as well.

Christopher, I am sorry I missed your performance but I heard nothing but great things from everyone who saw it.

It was so nice to see so many from the Café there and also meet some old friends and new faces.

Hope our paths cross again soon.

Max Krause
Max, hope to see you soon again! Jan
Hey guys

Sitting in the airport (2 hour delay) and reading over some of this stuff. The aussie crew had a blast with you lot. Having 19 countries represented can only add to these events. The acts from the overseas guys really added another dimension.

Being on the show with Bob, Max, Andy, Alain and Devin was a blast for me too.

We will be disecting the experience all the way home (24 hours in total!)

Talk soon.

Sean
sean@seantaylor.com.au