(Close Window)
Topic: Best Hypnosis Program
What is yoru opinion of the best program to learn Hypnosis?

I have actually seen link to schools that teach the craft. Ahs anyone went to any schooling here on the Magic Café?

If so where at?

Would you reccomend that instead of the many DVD programs?
There are too many variable to say that one particular school is better than another. If I like one particular instructor and find that she communicates well it doesn't mean that you will find that same person good for you.

On the other hand, you can look at what the various school teach and select the one that has the most thorough curriculum, including subjects taught and in-class hours.

I strongly recommend in-person training over DVD programs and books. However, I also strongly recommend DVD programs and books to complement your in-person training.
We all learn differently. Some people benefit from in-person training. Others learn more effectively in other ways. Personally I get best results, across all areas of knowledge, from books. But this week I have finally ordered some DVDs to suppliment my book-based knowledge.
Look at your life and your academic record and you will know how your learn best. But the advantage of books is they are cheaper than DVDs, which are cheaper than courses. So if hypnosis is not your thing, you have not lost much in finding out. Good luck, however you go about it. Tony.
You can only truly learn hypnosis from a good training. Then your knowledge base can be increased by other means. Without the experiential training you will never have an indepth understanding. Since you must experience varies levels of trance and techniques in order to fully understand them.
Something must be wrong! MP and I almost agree completely. The only difference I have with this is that I would say "most people can best learn hypnosis thoroughly from a good training" rather than saying the "only" way to learn is from a good training. I've seen some people pick up some aspects from books and DVDs. A tiny percentage of that small percentage can get quite good at it.

However, in my experience the vast majority of people who try to learn hypnosis from books and DVDs fail or have limited success and abandon it, often bad mouthing it or coming onto hypnosis forums asking for the "best" script for this or that. By the same token, most people who take trainings never practice hypnosis either as amateurs or professionally, but at least they know it and don't bad mouth it.
I have to disagree with the last two contributions. I have not seen Mindpunisher or Dmkraig performing so I cannot say what sorts of shows they do. But I know I do a top class show, and I have never had any formal training.
Barry Sinclair, Paul Goldin and Paul McKenna all did shows before they did formal training. I don'tknow about McKenna, but Goldin and Sinclair were giants of the business, and neither ever took formal training.
Its showbusiness - you can do it or you can't. All the training in the world won't give you showmanship.
This is a forum about stage hypnotism, not therapy. Too much crap is finding its way into these posts.
It depends on what you mean Tony. If you want to learn hypnosis you need to take training. you obviously don't want to learn. I don't think you have much understanding of the subject to be honest. The poster wanted to learn hypnosis. Perhaps if you had taken some good training you wouldn't believe everybody pretends to have their hands stuck together.
What you guys mean when you talk "formal training"?
Many trainer sell you one week training course and if you pass the course (if you pay money and be there) you get sertification what tells that you are hypnotist, or hypnotherapist, or you know ericsonian hypnosis and so on...

There is one problem.. There is no any kind of quality requirement what those training program should include in their programs...
When things are like this I think you should look very carefully where you but your money because every courses not be very quality stuff...
I have seen some worst 5 day training course where they just talk and talk and talk and actually they just marketing what they do and there was nothing more. ;)
Mindpunisher, this is a forum on STAGE hypnosis. I do STAGE hypnosis, and I do it very well. I don't do therapy, and have taken very little training in theraputic hypnotherapy.
Its like when I write. I write books, and I do it on a computer, using a word-processing programme. But I have never bothered to take the time to learn to programme a computer. It is irrelavent to what I do.
Theraputic hypnosis is irrelavent to what I do. Kevinr posted on a STAGE hypnosis forum, and I answered him as a stage hypnotist. I stand by my answer.
I think even if this is stage hypnosis section where people talk about stage hypnosis... they still should know what can happen and how you should handle if it happen.
traumatic experience when someone were a kid can come in mind when you ask someone to go past when he/she was a kid. Yeah that should be funny thing when adult imagine that they are 10 year old, but what if that adult was raped when he/she was 10 year old and you dig that traumatic experience back in mind?

Hypnotist play with people's mind and even if it is only part of show you should know what can happen and you should take responsibility if it happen.
there is no need to know more about psychology in stage hypnosis, but you should know what could happen so your audience have no need to go therapy after your show...
Tony says: "Its showbusiness - you can do it or you can't. All the training in the world won't give you showmanship."

I completely agree, 100%.

Kukushka says: "Hypnotist play with people's mind and even if it is only part of show you should know what can happen and you should take responsibility if it happen. There is no need to know more about psychology in stage hypnosis, but you should know what could happen so your audience have no need to go therapy after your show... "

True but the dangers are way overly exaggerated. There are more chances of them falling off the stage than needing therapy afterwards.
Go talk to stage hypnotists. Ask them how many people have needed therapy after their show. When they tell you no-one, ever, then ask how many went into an abreaction during their show. Someone might finally say that it happened... once. But that'll be in the minority.
Any sensible person can handle an abreaction. A non-sensible person with years of hypnosis experience will have a fit if they ever witness someone having an abreaction. Both of these things will/will not happen for the reasons I've just given.
Hypnotherapists who do 'free-association' actively seek abreactions with EVERY single client!!! Yet many, after over 10 years have NEVER achieved that!!! Think about that.
Now then, what I've just given you are complete and absolute facts. I don't care who wants to argue against that. So just believe it, it'll save time.

For the record The best way to learn (in my view)is to be mentored. But I'm sure talented people can very easily learn the basics from books and DVD's in such a way that the layman wouldn't know it.
[quote]
On 2009-10-29 17:40, TonyB2009 wrote:
Mindpunisher, this is a forum on STAGE hypnosis. I do STAGE hypnosis, and I do it very well. I don't do therapy, and have taken very little training in theraputic hypnotherapy.
Its like when I write. I write books, and I do it on a computer, using a word-processing programme. But I have never bothered to take the time to learn to programme a computer. It is irrelavent to what I do.
Theraputic hypnosis is irrelavent to what I do. Kevinr posted on a STAGE hypnosis forum, and I answered him as a stage hypnotist. I stand by my answer.
[/quote]

Very true Tony but you don't do stage hypnosis you do showmanship. You don't even believe people get their hands stuck together. This is a forum about stage HYPNOSIS. I never mentioned therapy.

Posted: Oct 29, 2009 7:50pm
>>>True but the dangers are way overly exaggerated. There are more chances of them falling off the stage than needing therapy afterwards.
Go talk to stage hypnotists. Ask them how many people have needed therapy after their show. When they tell you no-one, ever, then ask how many went into an abreaction during their show. Someone might finally say that it happened... once.<<<

And eh ...you keep in touch with all your volunteers? Falling off stage or psychological damage does it really matter which? I have had at least five abreactions when I was doing shows. Ive seen at least five at other shows.

I saw a very experienced pro Barrie Sinclair fall to pieces because he couldn't control an extreme abreaction. (who was self taught by the way)It was very disturbing to watch.

I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One took 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd. She didn't recognise her boyfriend and thought she was shopping in st James's centre with her parents! Ive had one person just freak out totally and run out the venue (near the start of my career.) Where there was a mile long harbour 40 feet in front of the hotel. I've had all sorts of things happen. I know of other things that happened to other hypnotists.

Bobser I think those you talk to are either not that expertienced or just don't talk about these things. I can tell you they do happen.
I like Geoffrey and Wendy Ronning at http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/
[quote]
On 2009-10-29 19:50, mindpunisher wrote:
I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One toook 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd.
[/quote]

45 Minutes? No wonder you no longer do shows! You should have had more training.
[quote]

Bobser I think those you talk to are eiher not that experienced or just don't talk about these things. I can tell you they do happen.
[/quote]

Well, you're wrong. It's that simple. If what you're saying happened then I accept it, but the person who was responsible for that happening was you, so... sloppy job! I'm assuming you're more experienced now I know what I'm say is true because I'm as highly experienced as you'll find it dealing whith abreactions or knowing how NOT to have my hypnotee have one. And I can tell by what a person says (instantly) whether they are. You're not, but fair enough at least you've admitted that.
ie: we both KNOW it was your fault when that person ran out of the hall near the harbour, albeit you are far more experienced now.
I don't know Tony by the way, I'm not even sure if I'd like him, BUT c'mon, gie the lad a break. He is obviously a highly experienced comedy stage hypnotist who knows stuff. Tons of stuff. And all he's doing is saying what he's experienced. Now MP, you are very good at winding people up and yes you have played Tony like a fine violin (Tony stop biting, you can't win!). Why don't you two meet up and have a dram? Find out what your commonalities you have rather than your differences. Build a company together. Fall in love...
Bobser, of all the people who have a go at me on this forum I think that Mindpunisher is the one I could sit down and have a dram with. He sounds like a reasonable grouch. But it would have to be a good dram - Talisker, by preference. You can join us. Tony.
I'd love to Tony. Glenmorangie for me. Probably a sweet sherry with lemonade for yer man.
[quote]
On 2009-10-30 12:53, dmkraig wrote:
[quote]
I have experienced at least half a dozen sleepers. One toook 45 minutes to come round after the show in front of a concerned crowd.
[/quote]

45 Minutes? No wonder you no longer do shows! You should have had more training.
[/quote]

Well I guess that must go for many dozens of highly experienced hypnotists. Perhaps once you have hypnotised enough people you will find them. And some do not respond to the so called methods for arousing.

And yes Bobser some things did happen at the start but I had training I had a mentor also. My point is No one should be hypnotising in the streets and especially after reading a book.

The 45 minute one happened the night before the opening of Rob Roy. I was on stage at the odeon. The next day Liam Neson and Tim Roth and a host of other stars were going to be attending in the same auditorium. The sleeper had two big dirty hearing aids in each ear. Her boyfriend tried turning them up. Only to see her body twitch uncontrobably and a high pitch whistling sound come from her aids. Her boy friend wanted to throw her over his shoulder and throw her in the back of his van. The lights were on they started working around us to prepare the stage for the opening night. There was a growing audience at the back of the auditorium watching. When she finally came round she didn't recognise her boy friend and didn't him anywhere near her. To which he once again replied that he would just throw her over his shoulder and throw her into the back of the van. Im telling you you need good people management skills it could've easily ended up with someone phoning for an ambulance. Which has hap[pened for a number of hypnotists.

Halpern with decades of experience got sued for a broken hip when omeone fell off the stage in Glasgow.

"The Man" got charged when someone dived off a table thinking he was a champion swimmer and injured his neck. One of his stage volunteers got taken to hospital once after his show because the suggestions weren't removed properly.

It happens Bobser alright. You are in denial as are your mates. And the more hypnotists around its a numbers game the more incedents will find themselves into the media. You street boys are a gift for those journo's looking for a story. A GIFT I TELL YA MANOR FROM HEAVEN.
I think getting out there and just doing it is the best learning you can get. I know after my study, it was hard to take the first step. JMO.

Candin
I did my first shows after reading a book. I was lucky to get it quickly (a good hypnotist, Adrian Knight, gave me some great pointers). It can be done that way.
I know the guy who promoted my first show was so delighted with the result that he spent six months getting a diploma in hypnotherapy - then he began promoting his own show. Unfortunately he never mastered stage hypnosis. He took twenty minutes over his inductions, and got few under. I do five minute inductions (a lot quicker in some cases) and get most under.
But my promoter was trained, and I wasn't. My promoter believes in hypnosis, and I don't. So I guess what I am saying is that Hawley is right - read a book, watch a few shows, and go out and do it. Good luck.
I live in one of the most isolated cities in the world, so resources for me so far have been mostly books/dvds (and progression has been going really well) but if anyone knows of decent training round these parts, let me know! Digging around on the net, I can only really find strict hypnotherapy courses near here.
[quote]
On 2009-11-18 23:41, matthew hale wrote:
I live in one of the most isolated cities in the world, so resources for me so far have been mostly books/dvds (and progression has been going really well) but if anyone knows of decent training round these parts, let me know! Digging around on the net, I can only really find strict hypnotherapy courses near here.
[/quote]

Fly me down under and I will train you. I hate our weather at this time of year. I could do with a sunny break..
What is the "BEST" book for stage hypnosis? I am reading two different ones right now but they are dated. Ormond McGill's book and a very old book called "hypnosis simplified." My grandmother bought me the second book when I was 10 years old from a magic shop.

I have registered for a hypnosis seminar by NGH in Feb. However it will not cover much stage hypnosis so I'm trying to get a leg up.

Regards,
Ted
Deeper and Deeper by Jon Chase.
I am an avid reader as I travel on planes every week to commute to work. DVD's are good but I like things I can easily reference.

I want everyones opinion. I assumed they would vary. I'll buy them all. I love books and filling my shelfs makes me happy.

Dated doesn't = bad. It's just that is all I have at the time and wanted professional's advice on which books to take a gander at.

I appreciate the input. I have two books suggested so far.
I found the Jerry Valley book very useful. I think it is called The Inside Secrets of Stage Hypnosis.

James
Personally I would look more to books about theater and performance and such. This way you do not end up with a jumbed mess of a show like many hypnotists.

Yes learn the basics of hypnosis, how and why, but do not get bogged down in the actual process so much. It is after all a "show" and needs to be thought of as a theatrical experience.

Also this should play into your way of thinking when you choose a venue in which to do the show as well.
I'm a comedian but I headline a production variety show. Lots of variety and props and a partner. So I'm getting into this as a side business that might grow full time if the day comes for me and my partner to part.

I grew up in the legitimate arts. Shakespeare, Broadway musical productions. Quickly learned I didn't enjoy reciting some else's lines the way the director told me. So I did some stand up for a while. Got tired of the drunks. Went back to theater. Became bored and that is when I started my variety show career. 15 years later I'm doing great and having fun traveling to places I never thought of.

My book shelfs are lined with books on comedy, comedians and performance. I have two hypnosis books and they are both from the 50's. That doesn't make them bad, just old. I have books by Groucho and Harpo as well as Carlin on the shelf. All have relevance.

As far as making up my mind on whether I am a believer, the jury is out. I am keeping an open mind. I have a mentor come Feb. From there we'll see how I feel. Just absorbing information right now.

You can call me Ted. Rotten is just one of my companies.

Regards
Message: Posted by: Stuart Cumberland (Nov 19, 2009 05:00PM)
Geoff Ronning puts out the most comprehensive stage hypnosis training available today. It's modern, proven and tested. He's been very successful with it, and he's got many great testimonials from students. You can also tell he's successful because almost all other hypnotist trainers have "modeled" his marketing, his ideas and his trainings. Certainly worth checking out. He did offer a really good "trial" to his site, but I'm not sure the offer is still on. A buck I think for a few weeks.

Ormond McGill's book is NOT dated. It's old. It's routines were great in their time, but the book is still excellent.

SC
Ted, I don't know whether I said it to you in a private message, but, I believe McGills book is dated. It contains too much information, way too many inductions, and some plain wring information. But there is some gold dust within the covers too, if you dig deep enough. It was enough to get me through my first show.

However I recommend Eddie Burke's Secrets of Stage and Cabaret Hypnotism, available only through http://www.mreenterprises.co.uk.
As I said to you before, your background makes you a natural for stage hypnosis.

On the question of whether you believe or not, I think you are adopting the right approach. Don't make up your mind until you have a few shows under your belt.

One thing that is vital is confidence. If you can fake this, you have it made. When you do your first show, do it properly. Do a good poster, and walk on as if you own the stage. Your previous stage work gives you that right.

It would be lovely to come back to this forum in a years time and see that you are doing well at it. Tony.
[quote]
On 2009-11-19 18:00, Stuart Cumberland wrote:
Geoff Ronning puts out the most comprehensive stage hypnosis training available today. It's modern, proven and tested. He's been very successful with it, and he's got many great testimonials from students. You can also tell he's successful because almost all other hypnotist trainers have "modeled" his marketing, his ideas and his trainings. Certainly worth checking out. He did offer a really good "trial" to his site, but I'm not sure the offer is still on. A buck I think for a few weeks.
[/quote]

Tell you what. I know Richard Nongard sells some of the Ronning stuff. That is a pretty good endorsement if you ask me.
Ted, I think the real answer to your question is that there is NO "best book" on the subject.

There are many books that range from OK to excellent, but no matter how good one book is, there are other books that cover other aspects better than the other.

So the solution is not to become dependent upon one book. Rather, study several. Many books that I would consider to be good have been mentioned: McGill, Ronning, Burke, Valley, etc. They're all very good. They all have their own approach. Study them all and come up with your own approach.
Thank you guys! That is what I should have asked. For a "recommended reading list." I just figured everyone would have a different opinion on what is the BEST. And I was write to some extent.

I am getting my clinical license for many reasons. Mostly my own personal safety for licensing and insurance but also because the man that will be teaching me could also help me get work making my job easier. Getting my feet wet was my concern. But I needed more stage information than what I am currently reading as the seminar will primarily cover clinical.

So again. Thank you for sharing your views on a solid recommended reading list. Now I get to go spend some money!

Regards,
Ted
Ted, I'm all in favor or getting trained in hypnotherapy. I think good training will help hypnotists. I've taken some hypnotherapy trainings that include information on stage work.

However, if your goal is stage work, I would respectfully suggest that you consider taking a stage training.
I hope your cryptic remark is not directed to me because I was positive in my assessment that if Richard sells it that is a good enough endorsement for me.
[quote]
On 2009-10-29 15:34, Kukushka wrote:
What you guys mean when you talk "formal training"?
Many trainer sell you one week training course and if you pass the course (if you pay money and be there) you get sertification what tells that you are hypnotist, or hypnotherapist, or you know ericsonian hypnosis and so on...

There is one problem.. There is no any kind of quality requirement what those training program should include in their programs...
When things are like this I think you should look very carefully where you but your money because every courses not be very quality stuff...
I have seen some worst 5 day training course where they just talk and talk and talk and actually they just marketing what they do and there was nothing more. ;)
[/quote]

It is very confusing. Doing a web search for hypnosis schools brings up a bunch of rather dodgy looking web sites. They all claim certification from all sorts of hypnotism guilds & associations (and they could be running those groups as well for all you know). How does one find a reputable hypnosis school? How does one sort out the wheat from the chaff?
Ignore guilds and bodies - there were 98 in the UK at the last count. I imagine it is similar in the US. Some attempt to act as an umbrella for the industry - a worthy if not futile goal. The others act as a badge for people trained in a particularly style to a particular standard. As styles and standards vary so much it does not mean a lot.

Choose a course that teaches the style of hypnosis you want to master. Choose a course where there is an emphasis on practical work. Choose a course where the trainers are professionals happy to demonstrate what they teach.

Anthony
Although your advice is sound Anthony, Kevin seems to asking 'who' & 'where'. I guess Ronning seems to be the natural name (along with around 5 or 6 others which can be easily found on the web) in America, but that's not the case here in the UK.
The challenge guys like you (Anthony Jacquin) have in here (The Café)is that it's an ambiguous area where you are not aloud to advertise yourself for fear of the post being deleted.
I say ambiguous because If I understand it correctly, based on what I've read in here in the past, you can say WHAT you do, but NOT where and WHEN you do it.
I guess in all fairness to the coordinaters it's a difficult one. However I believe you can PAY for an advert in The Café?
Anyway, what happens of course in reality is the seller gets a friend to write how wonderful the item is and where it's for sale or where the course is being run.
Sorry to go off in a tangent but I guess based on the above if I needed such information I'd be tempted to pm a few guys. That way no rules get broken.

bobser
Ronning has been around for quite a while, under exactly the same name doing training in different forms. He has EXPANDED the amount of services offered. He is not "dodgy" by any account I have heard. Though I have not dealt with him personally, I know many who have and many who will post here who are happy customers. I do not think he should be lumped in with "dodgy" web pages.

I may agree with him, I may disagree with him, but he is NOT dodgy.

Richard Nongard offers a multitude of products that as well are NOT dodgy. The information is out there, you just need to be careful in your quest.
[quote]
On 2009-11-21 02:20, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Ignore guilds and bodies ...

Choose a course that teaches the style of hypnosis you want to master. Choose a course where there is an emphasis on practical work. Choose a course where the trainers are professionals happy to demonstrate what they teach.

Anthony
[/quote]

Although I can only speak from a U.S.A. perspective, I have to disagree with your first statement. Well, at least partially so.

Depending upon what you choose to do, being a member of one or more guilds or organizations, especially ones that certify, can have advantages--if you understand what they, the organizations, are.

In the U.S., a body that certifies is expected to be separate from the organization that trains. The body may recommend schools, but should not limit certification only to those who go through a school it runs. Unfortunately, there are some dubious groups that are not independent. They should be avoided. Groups such as the National Guild of Hypnotists and American Board of Hypnotherapy are independent while some others are not.

What does membership in such a group get you? Frankly, for stage hypnosis, not much. It may help you get insurance and it may help governments set laws. They may have a magazine or newsletter that gives tips. If they put on some sort of convention you may get a discount.

Where they do have value is if you are also a hypnotherapist. They often sponsor trainings. They may require training during each year in order for you to maintain your membership (on top of yearly fees). But the big thing they do, IMO, is give out certificates.

Now that sounds unimportant to stage hypnotists, but to a hypnotherapist, having lots of certificates can actually make the work you're doing easier. It's impressive to clients who will think, "Wow! If s/he has all of these certificates, s/he must be pretty good." By the time they move from your waiting room to your office, they are ready to go into trance and accept your suggestions.

Further, membership in such organization usually means paying yearly fees. This indicates that at least you're willing to put your money where it indicates that you are involved with your profession.

So I would say know what the organization is, what it can and cannot do, and consider whether it is worth your while to become a member rather than merely writing them all off.

I strongly agree with your advice on picking a training that fits your needs, especially one that focuses on practical work. I frequently tell people that books and videos can teach you ABOUT hypnosis while training teaches you the HOW of hypnosis. Books --such as yours--add to what you've learned in trainings. I would add, however, that not only should the trainer be willing to show and demonstrate what they're teaching, but IMO, they should also have you practice (with your fellow students) while s/he (and perhaps some assistants, if the class is too large) observe and give guidance.
I was certified by the american board of hypnotherapy. I thought it was a waste of time. In fact I did an NLP masterprac course in the 90s which over all was very good. But the hypnosis section was just tacked on with the certificate to sell the courses. It was badly taught and pretty useless. However I had already had quite a lot of hypnosis training before then.

I can't believe those that got "certified" could call themselves hypnotherapists.

I stay away from all of that these days and just create my own brand and my own systems. I do my own thing.
I understand what you're saying, MP. And for a stage hypnotist, as I wrote, participation with a hypnotherapy organization may not be of value. Of course, since you don't do hypnosis shows any more, it's moot.

I have seen lots of trainings, and although numerous people "could" call themselves hypnotherapists, my guess is that 95% of those who are certified do it for personal information, for fun, or to see if they can use it to help themselves and never actually use the credentials. If they did, there'd be 50 times as many hypnotherapists as there currently are.