(Close Window)
Topic: Crystal Casket
What Paul Osborne book has the plans for the Crystal Casket Illusion? I would like to buy this book rather than the single plans.
I don't think the Crystal Casket is available in a book - only on an individual plan.
Thanks
The crystal casket is in a book its in The Classics vol 1 its on his website.
I stand corrected. It's called "The Glass Box" in the book...
Does it offer the same details as it is in the plan?
Most of the plans Paul puts in his books are the ones you buy. However, that being said, they are (in many cases) reduced so small that many of the dimensions are hard to see. In any case, as with most of Paul's plans, you really have to be a builder with some knowledge to be able to just pick up a plan and build from it.

B
I couldn't agree more Blair. Especially with something like a Casket. I know I wouldn't ever want to try building mine!
I don't know in what book is but Rich Hills do a gorgeous one!
Rich's "Casket" is nice, I'll stick to my Gaughan one though!

B
Rich's is pretty nice.

Maybe you could give EDF a try even.
If I had a choice I would get Rich's casket in a heart beat. It's beautiful.

Blair I don't think I've seen a casket as built by Gaughan. Got a pic of yours?
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Nov 18, 2009 04:25PM)
I agree with Chris. It looks and works great AND is the best on the market.

Best,
I really like my Chalet Casket.
I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Seebach about the casket when I bought mine. One major point he talked about (and I agree wholeheartedly) is that with most of the newer caskets, they are not assembled as a 6 sided glass box w/bottom etc. on a table in front of the audience during performance making the production seem most impossible to laypersons. He believed this made up over half the deception to the illusion itself! Again, I agree with his points......after all....he's seen it all!

While I do love Rich's casket, I don't think you can assemble it for the performance. If only it did...
Message: Posted by: Christopher Starr (Nov 22, 2009 03:59PM)
Wish I still had the Gaughan made crystal casket. It was incredible.
Wow Christopher.....that is gorgeous! When/why did you sell it? I can understand if you'd rather not say, but what a piece!

Could these be assembled for the routine? Are they still made???
Here is the Gaughan Crystal Casket that was displayed in his shop during the Magic History Conference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKJOpYNey9M
It is brass with beveled edged pieces of suspended plexi. Olive in color with hand-painted pinstriping details.The Wakeling principle become see through after the production. Unbelievably deceptive up close.
More of a stylized jewelry case than the usual look.
Doug Henning featured the Owens model on the Magic Show with the plexi being inserted into the frame. I agree with David Seebach that it adds an extra punch to the effect.
[quote]
On 2009-11-22 14:32, Zaprig1 wrote:
I had a pretty lengthy conversation with Seebach about the casket when I bought mine. One major point he talked about (and I agree wholeheartedly) is that with most of the newer caskets, they are not assembled as a 6 sided glass box w/bottom etc. on a table in front of the audience during performance making the production seem most impossible to laypersons. He believed this made up over half the deception to the illusion itself! Again, I agree with his points......after all....he's seen it all!...
[/quote]

Jim Steinmeyer has some very interesting thoughts on this topic in his excellent new book [url=http://www.jimsteinmeyer.com/catalog/books/]Technique and Understanding[/url]. It definitely bears some consideration. You might very well find yourself changing your mind here in the twenty-first century!
Interesting Frank! Does he really contradict David's thoughts on this in the book? That actually BUILDING a 6 sided solid glass box for this routine does not add value to it's deceptive quality???

My casket goes a step further in which there are four nylon straps laid (two going lenght and two going across the width) under, over, and around the glass and the glass box is strapped/tied closed so to speak.

Not only does this give the illusion much longer stage time, I really feel it adds to the mystery of the illusion as well. Just an opinion, but I'm open minded enough for someone to try and change my mind on this........
The gauhan madelis very deceptive . I rememeber there was one for sale on the magic auction sometime ago very expensive .but worth the price I don t thik that you could match the deceptivness if I were you I would go for gauhan or contact b smith also look for a photo of the latest chalete modele the seperation between the glass box and the base was so deceptive it will help you develope the image in your mind.
I'm a bit amazed that you really don't see many crystal boxes performed these days. It's such a great trick... does exactly what an audience expects a magician to do!

I own one of the Magic Show crystal boxes where the 6 pieces of plexi are inserted into the frame. I really like what "building the box" adds to the presentation. A lot of people skip using the bottom piece of plexi, but I think that makes it even more deceptive. I've had the prop for 20 years and it is in excellent shape, but alas it's time to part with it

I hope this thread inspires people to start performing again.
I use my casket whenEVER possible!
I have the Owen model, built for The Magic Show. I think it's a great looking prop. Well built and very deceptive. Audience members comment on the trick and often share how they think it was done. I can honestly say that I have never had anybody even guess about the base.

I have my Crystal Casket listed for sale (on this site) and I've had a couple people inquire about it. Both have commented that the Gaughan version is more deceptive. I just laugh.

John Gaughan is a true artist and his version IS more deceptive, which is great if you're performing for other magicians or illusion builders, but makes very little difference to a real audience.

If you can afford a Gaughan prop, by all means get it. However I'm always a bit amazed at how often magicians are focused on the wrong things. This is a really strong illusion and with either version of the prop, the only thing the audience will perceive is the performance. I'm just sorry to see people pass up on such a great (and inexpensive) illusion when I know how strong it can be.
Hey Chris,

See the photo that Chris S. put up or mine if the photo comes up from the link below.

http://blairmarshall.ca/pb/wp_2971c908/images/img145504612f94630599.JPG

It actually does not do the prop justice. It is a HIGH buffed, to a mirror finish, box, legs and trim. What looks grainy in the photo is actually the reflection of the surroundings in the room. This is the same unit that was once performed by Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy) on a magic special.

Blair
VERY NICE BLAIR!
Thank-you, it's nice owning a prop with some history, I have the video of Lucy performing it. (I also have the Asrah that she did preceding it for the girl vanish!)

Blair

P.S. For the builders, this is one from the time period that John was using molded fiberglass, not sure if he uses it at all now. Only things that break down are the legs.
Oh yes, it can also be built up with the 6 pieces of plexi. There is a nice mirrored stand to hold the pieces before assembley.

I believe, if memory serves, Orson Welles did a nice presentation while his assistants assembled the box. It may have been on on of Jackie Gleason Show, or duing an appearnace on the Dean Martin Show

Blair
Hmmmmmm......I don't want to mislead here. I believe it was an Alcorn style Crystal Casket with the straps, similar to a Princess of Thebes illusion in workings, that Orson performed. If working strictly stage this is an excellent style base to use, the principle is also used in my Crystal Cube from an idea in the Woodbury books (built by Outebridge). Photo here....

http://blairmarshall.ca/pb/wp_2971c908/images/img47924611b0110a242.jpg

The box is very small, and it can actually be left around after the production of the girl, as the "place of concealment" is no longer there and there is nothing to see!!! LOL

Blair
Hi all,

The John Gaughan Crystal Casket is by far the best in this matter, because in my opinion very decptive.

Falconer
Blair,

I have an Alcorn that you are referring to. It is 38 years old and looks like it's 38 shows old at most! You are correct in that it is great for stage and it still amazes lay audiences to this day. I will try and post pics of it.

Christian
Would love to see an actual photo of one, I have only the Alcorn ad photos of it, and a photo layout in The New Tops which showed it in performance (their photos were never great). I love the concept, and it has even been used in several "new" (???) illusions.

Blair
Blair,

Other than size, are the crystal casket and the crystal box the same illusion?

Or different?
Who is Alcorn?
Alcorn was a builder back in the 60's and early 70's. His Black Beauty Sub Trunk and his Sword Box with Spanish sabers were beautiful (at least in the photos that I saw.) Hull Bros. Magic sold the props and they were pictured on their flyers. I think an occasional Genii ad also showed them also. When I think of the prices.......!!! $200.00 for this, $300 for that. I also have a modified Alcorn Broom Suspension with an extended leg support and the release down on the leg, in addition to my Gossamer unit.

The Crystal Box I have is about 30" square and really a deceptive idea, mine was built and used previously by Ted Outerbridge (Canadian touring illusionist) with a few design modifications suggested by me. It is similar to many of Steinmeyers' effect where the place of concealment actually is not there after the person is produced. It can be left at the side of a dance floor with no worry about the "secret" being discovered. I love it! Other than producing the person, they are VERY different illusions (equipment and method).

Blair
Wow, 30 x 30 is tiny... Do you have a video of you performing this?
I do not have any on-line, another thing to note is the base (after production) is only about 5" thick all around, and it is flat top and bottom.

B
I notice in the pic you appear to be holding the cover in your hand... Is the production method similar to a fire cage?
Not entirely, as the entire unit is MUCH smaller.

B

(P.S. There is a hint in my previous post.)
In my humble opinion the Crystal Casket built by Rich Hill is second to none. Without revealing too much, Rich makes the base itself a non-issue -- just something to set the casket on so it can be wheeled on and off stage -- which adds immeasurably to the overall deceptiveness.
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Mar 11, 2011 04:18PM)
Rich's design is interesting and deceptive! The four little pegs the casket sits on really add to the deceptiveness of his illusion. http://www.richhillsillusionshop.com/crystalcasket.htm

I have a CC by Bill Smith and it is lovely. Nice thin base with Queen Anne style legs. I altered the illusion and made the 'casket' break down for transportation. This, coupled with a purposeful routine makes this illusion a WORKING prop!
Here is the one we built for Darren Romeo.....we call this model "The Romeo"....yes the top is really metal veneered & stained.
WOW, that's Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
WOW!!! Illusiontech, that is one of the best I have ever seen!! Great job
Thanks so much!! I'll be posting a video of some of the illusions we have built, this weekend, it's the first illusion on there. I'll keep you posted.
I believe Abbott's used the Alcorn design for many years. Blackstone Jr. used that design in his show up until his death. Wellington produces a nice version. Chalet came out a very deceptive version shortly before they stopped producing large illusions.
I believe it is one of the greatest illusions in the audiences eyes. True magic. You cover an empty box pull the cloth away and a beautiful girl appears. WOW
I believe when you and the 6 pieces of glass and straps it puts more heat on the base and it becomes a differtent illusion. Doing the Illusion boom, boom makes it look better for me.
Why it's not used more in my opinion is that most of the magians can only carry a limited amount of props and this is a big one for thirty seconds. Just my opinion.
Crispy, don't forget the Alcorn casket was more about the method/mechanics than the look/design.

B
I am not an illusionist, but I am interested in big illusions, and maybe working with them once I have the money.
Anyhow, I have always wondered why the magician doesn't make clear, by way of gestures/movements that people can see underneath the casket, showing that there is nothing under it and that it is off above the floor. This would also add to distract from the idea of the base, suggesting it is merely being used to keep it above the floor.
When I was young.... A looooooooong time ago, lol... One of the first illusions I ever bought was a crystal casket from Gerry Frenette (magic makers). It looked great, had a nice bevelled base and was only like $1300 or something like that. I loved that prop! Don't you wish you could have back all the cool stuff you have sold over the years?
Oh yes.

-Philip
I too was considering attempting to build a crystal casket or "the crystal box" as the Wells plans are calling it.
I am new to illusions. I have been performing "stand up" and "Sideshow material" for sometime. I am wanting to introduce some illusions to my show. Is there anything I should know before attempting the Crystal Casket. Not only in terms of the physical building (I am having a skilled family member help me with the physical constuction) but also in terms of performance conditions. My venues can vary quite a bit and rarely do I get to work in a proper theater. So are there lighting/angel considerations I should be aware of? I wouldn't think it would be too problematic, but I'm a novice with illusions. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Elton,

If you are just getting into illusions, I would really recommend a "function" illusion first instead of a crystal casket. A function illusion is (by my definition)an effect where the girl enters the prop, something happens and she exits at the end. For example: A sword basket, Mini-Kub Zag, Zig-Zag, etc. I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to add just one illusion to an already existing show not get one where "pre-loading" is required, especially when working in "real world" conditions.

Just my random thoughts,

Mad Jack
[quote]
On 2011-04-01 00:29, Mad Jack wrote:
Elton,

If you are just getting into illusions, I would really recommend a "function" illusion first instead of a crystal casket. A function illusion is (by my definition)an effect where the girl enters the prop, something happens and she exits at the end. For example: A sword basket, Mini-Kub Zag, Zig-Zag, etc. I would strongly suggest that anyone wanting to add just one illusion to an already existing show not get one where "pre-loading" is required, especially when working in "real world" conditions.

Just my random thoughts,

Mad Jack
[/quote]

I agree. Good advice.
I understand what you mean "real world conditions" I bring a pipe and drape set up, so I can have a modest "backstage area" I work with a partner who performs some of her own acts as well. during the opening it would be nice to do an appearance. I was thinking of a shadow box type effect, but I not so great for outdoor/daytime performances. So I thought a Crystal casket might be a better alternative. We're closing the show with a sub trunk.
I was thinking of in the future adding a sword box illusion in the middle of the show.but these things take time and I'm on a shoe string budget. If I cant build it myself I probably cant afford to put it in the show.
Yeah I'm basically wanting either some type of appearance for myself or to walk out and then produce my partner. but because of venues considerations I'm looking for something that can be done under most conditions. I like Andrew Mayne's specter cabinet, but the B.A. may be problematic in half of my venues where I can't control lighting.

Any suggestions are welcome. That's why I'm here is to try and learn.
Elton,
Greeting to Jessica, Alan and yourself.

The Crystal Casket is a good appearance illusion provided you have a means to get her loaded into it. One problem with the casket is does have a relatively large footprint. So if you are going to spin it onstage, it does take some room and should be a pretty good stage. If it is a hotel riser staging, it can be uneven and could damage the legs. Also you have to be very careful with the plexiglass from getting scratched.

A dollhouse or Temple of Benares has a smaller footprint for turning onstage. Again you need a place to load her into but it has smaller footprint.

I would stay away from Black Art because of the reasons you mentioned.

A simple production can be done with a Bryce's Screen. It is pretty easy to load someone quickly into to produce. You could decorate the framework that it could really look unique.

I will have to dig around a bit and think on this. What are you planning to transport this in..van, panel truck?

Richard
Heres a video clip of Brett Daniels helping me on stage in Myrtle Beach make an up and coming pop singer appear before a concert 2 years ago. My crystal casket is pretty well made and quite deceptive , I love performing it - This is not normal quickness and the girl is not my assistant and only had about 10 mins with her to practice backstage prior to her concert. There was a small clip of this shown on VHI during SPRING BREAK 2009.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28p0377Xj-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxW7enjbHcg

Here is my Gaughan "Crystal Casket" being used by Lucille Ball, it is a nice clean copy so I think you will appreciate the deceptiveness of John's work. It's at 1:40. The clip starts with the Asrah (which was probably built by Lee Edwards), and the assistants are Lee Edwards, and his brother Steve, they supplied all the illusions for this HBO special (which became part of the show I purchased).

B

(P.S. It's amazing how much magic you can do by just clapping! LOL)
Maybe it was just watching Mark Wilson so much growing up but I always lusted after that JG Crystal Casket. I loved the simplicity of his design and everything about it... plus the fact that I just loved the effect because I liked whipping cloths off stuff! Speaking of that and Asrahs, it was always said that no one could whip an asrah cloth off like Chuck "Kirk" Kirkham. There's just something about that old school flair that I have always loved.
For those wishing to build their own Crystal Casket probably the most comprehensive guide is produced by Gerry Frenette on his 'Build your own Illusions' DVD set; he spends the better part of an hour detailing every phase of it's construction step by step. Also included is a data disc allowing you to print out basic workshop plans to accompany the tutorials.
I have written a e-book about illusionbase building in english called UltiBase and wonder if there are any builders out there who can help me to proofread the book?? its only 16 pages so it's not a heavy job to do.
And have a fast look at the buildingplans to see if I have missed something.
I would be very grateful and you end up with a great book (i hope) :)
(i have done buldingplans for crystal cage, phantom cargo, spiker an many more, I have been working with cad and illusions the last 20 years)
Looks like you just pilfered Rich Hill's designed base including the pucks in the corners. Are these yours to sell, I don't think so.
[quote]On Mar 15, 2019, Mike Thornton wrote:
Looks like you just pilfered Rich Hill's designed base including the pucks in the corners. Are these yours to sell, I don't think so. [/quote]
It is Rich Hills design on the crystal cage with the pucks in the corners, but the picture is just to recognize the illusion, The book is only about the base and legs with case, there are many hours behind the thinking of the base and legs to pack small, work with any type of illusion that uses this type of base, and is fairly easy to build.
I have drawn a couple of illusions for this base I call UltiBase (and UltiLegs) and all illusions are only inspired by others not copied, and I have tryed to leave as many options I could think of to make the illusions uniqe and the same time invite the builder to design something of there own.
This is the final cover for the book showing the base, legs and case (and light shaded crystal cage on top) And the next post contain a picture with a few pages from the book
And here are a few pages from the book
Darren Romeo has a beautiful Crystal Casket design. I believe itís called the ďRomeo Casket.Ē It looks like an antique tank put on rollers and not a magic prop. It also incorporates BA into the base which adds to the deception. Saw him perform it at the Magic Castle and it was a real fooler.
Hereís a link to Darren Romeo performing his crystal casket. Not the clearest video but itíll give you a good idea of his design. Starts at 2:24

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qqDj-RYC39M
Iíve seen Darren perform a few times, such a great personality. He does a great job of getting the audience on his side really quick, which takes talent!

Something I really like about his Crystal Casket performance is that he assembles it in front of the audience, including a bottom / floor piece of the casket which adds a new piece of mystery to the illusion.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2019, thomasR wrote:
Iíve seen Darren perform a few times, such a great personality. He does a great job of getting the audience on his side really quick, which takes talent!

Something I really like about his Crystal Casket performance is that he assembles it in front of the audience, including a bottom / floor piece of the casket which adds a new piece of mystery to the illusion. [/quote]

I completely agree. Darren has the unique ability to form a bond with audience almost immediately. As for his casket the first time I saw him perform it the bottom part of the assembly really fooled me. His entire show is worth seeing. You get your money worth and itís also a great way to see Blackstones Floating Lightbulb which Darren performs exactly the same way.
His casket was made by Thom Rubino, Thom made about 6 of these, all very similar in design. One of the nicest out there.