(Close Window)
Topic: Christmas Shows down??
Anyone experienceing a drop in Christmas bookings this season?
Normally for me, I don't start getting calls for Christmas gigs till about early to Mid Novemeber. I have 3 big money Corporate Gigs on the books that I booked about 2 months back.

I just sent out letters to all of my past clients to remind them to book now before I book up. It was just over a 500 piece mailing...I would hope to book about 5 at least off that mailing.

On average for me over the Holiday Season, I will book about 5-8 corporate gigs and about 5+ school shows. For me that's about all my schedule can handle with my restaurant work.

So to answer your question...since I only have 3 gigs as I type this, I'm not too worried, but if over the next two weeks nothing develops I may be a tad nervous...
So far so good for me. Three of my "regular" repeat customers are already booked so far. A "new" repeat customer bumped a fourth "regular" repeat customer from me this year. I had to give my fourth "regular" repeat customer to a friend of mine this year.

I am in the same situation as Chris. I should be receiving more calls later.
This year we are acting in stage plays and can't take many. But we are already double booked for December 1st.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Compared to last year I'm off by 3-5 shows which, in my opinion, isn't a blow-out. A few calls are still coming in, so things could still change.

I will point one thing out that could possible attribute to lower shows this year. I'll use my own office as an example.

Last year at my office (my day job) we spent $12,000 on our holiday party. Even though our business is doing extremely well, this year we're only spending $4,000. Last year everyone could bring their spouses to the party, this year it's employees only. I do think SOME groups are trimming back a tad.
I just mailed out promo postcards to previous clients and I am getting some positive results. It looks like this Holiday season could be similar as in the past. But it is a little to early to tell for sure.

Max
[quote] Good Point, It has become out of vogue in the corporate climate to have elaborate events.

On 2009-11-07 07:30, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Compared to last year I'm off by 3-5 shows which, in my opinion, isn't a blow-out. A few calls are still coming in, so things could still change.

I will point one thing out that could possible attribute to lower shows this year. I'll use my own office as an example.

Last year at my office (my day job) we spent $12,000 on our holiday party. Even though our business is doing extremely well, this year we're only spending $4,000. Last year everyone could bring their spouses to the party, this year it's employees only. I do think SOME groups are trimming back a tad.
[/quote]
I'm already booked to perform just as many gigs as last year, but the types of performances are different. I have more family/community parties. Most corporate bookings come in later this month, so it's too soon to tell. It's going to be a good December, if not a great December.
December looks incredibly good this year.
GREAT YEAR!!
I'm in the wrong place. In Ireland the christmas market has been wiped out. Whether they admit it or not, most of us are down to half of previous years. I am lucky in that I have 19 days in one venue, and we are maintaining the price from last year. That's the bread and butter; very little of the jam has come in.
It must be me. Everyone seems to be doing great.
Neale:

Two questions.

I'm assuming you recently did a mailing or something to get repeat customers (and new customers) to hire you for this season, correct?

Also, do you change your show from year to year? I don't change my show 100% from year to year. However, about 40-50% of my show changes. Basically I have two shows which I rotate just to make things interesting. Of course, some parts never change because they're favorites.

Gerry
It must be really different in the U.S. December is an incredibly busy time in the U.K and I doubt that anyone would need to do a mailing to get work, or offer a special show. I've been turning bookings away since August and most of my fellow entertainers in Sheffield are booked solid as well - and Sheffield is not the wealthiest of regions by any means.
I'm probably down on a good year but certainly up on last year. There's still a while to go to get some more in as well.
It is not you Neale. In the US unemployment is at 10.2%. I have a few jobs booked for the Christmas season, but this year and last year have been the pitts. I'm looking forward to unemployment improving in 2010.
Al, if unemployment improves, doesn't that mean the numbers will be higher?
Colin
NO

People will have more entertainment dollars if unenemployment improves (goes down) I think.
Sorry Al, just playing with words.
Unemployment is well above 17% right now! The way the government figures unemployment it stops counting the unemployed after so long or if they have any part time income. There is no reason to rely on government statistics. Those are self-serving for those elected. Businesses certainly can't and don't depend on them.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Well I go on my hols boxing day
so was worried I mite be down on last year as I'm missing the end week.
but ive got 47 bookings10 more than last year and that was a good year
so Im happy with my bookings
Nice that the UK is not seeing any sign of what is going on here in America. You folks are blessed. Bob is so correct about the misleading figures regarding unemployment as reported by the government.

A recent story in the news down here shed a much more accurate light on what is happening in Florida in particular. A poll was done to see just how bad things were, and this time, they included the folks who normally wouldn't draw unemployment (out of pride, or other reasons) as well as those whose unemployment benefits have run out (something the government NEVER reports).

The figure they came up with for SW Florida was a whopping 35%.

Not very encouraging , eh ?

:wow:

Mark
I've lost only one of my annual gigs due to the economy and it is because the company went out of business over the summer. Overall my Christmas bookings are about the same as last year. I did pick up a sizeable car show gig in January, normally a time when I am just happy to have my restaurant gig. ;)
I am in NYC and it is down a bit .I am working but I do not have a load of extra work to go to my other employees.
I know that there are a lot of people struggling to get gigs. Very few of them would post it on a public board like this however. I am down about 20% over a good year last year, but am hopeful for a few last minute gigs to get things back up.

Just know that we are all in this together and that even the "big names" have felt the pinch from this recession economy.
I have 1st to the 4th of Dec with no work, then every day up till Boxing day is booked, 2 and 3 shows some days, and 3 days I have 4 shows so not to bad really.
and most of my shows are 2 hours, but not on the 4 shows day. lol.
It's good here, we're turning away shows because we're already booked and are still getting requests for shows.