(Close Window)
Topic: Cris Angel Card Trick 2006 ...
I just saw a trick that Cris Angel performed on Mind Freak 2006. He used two participants. He had Guy #1 hold a pack of playing cards then asked him to pick a card in his mind and say it. Then he asked Guy #2 to say a number from one to 52. Then Cris Angel dealt that many cards (let's say 22), and the 23rd card was the chosen card of Guy #1. I didn't notice any sleights, double lifts, but I could be wrong. Any help here guys on the origin of this trick?
Its called "any card at any number" or short "ACAAN"
that "perfect" version is often called the "berglas effect"

there are hundred of handlings/variations on it

but I don't know about the CA version,it might have been setup,like a lot of his stuff,but who knows ;-)
It would have been more effective if Criss Angel had NOT done the counting. As Matze states, there are many versions of it.
Rennie
So, basically it's a "commercial" effect that can be found by buying a DVD, or magic publication? I thought it was a pretty good trick, maybe a set-up deck. Thanks guys. I'll get busy looking for ACAAN.
Mike,

There's been several discussions on ACAAN right here at the Café over the years, so start with the search here and see where it takes you!
Hey Mike! This is a great effect, and although there are many versions out there, one of the most direct and almost totally self-working is by Barrie Richardson; he actually has two versions, but the one that I would recommend his is totally impromptu version. Without revealing the secret, it has a couple of "in your face" moves but some very strong misdirection as a perfect cover. I have used this version and it ALWAYS plays very well. Micky Painless offers great advice -- there are plenty of threads on this one here at the Café...GL!
A favorite of mine. It can be done as Angel did without camera tricks. No stooges either. You must not think like a magician to achieve it though.
I was told that CA uses E. Kozuch's version called "Impossible 1 to 52". I have it and it's quite clever but not very practical in my opinion. But of course you can let the spec deal himself, unlike B. Richardson's version.

I prefer B. Richardson's version though. Completely impromtu and no gimmick so nothing to find.
Oh and btw... I would describe E. Kozuch's as self-working; although there is not a lot to do it's a bit tricky.
If Angel did it on tv, you can bet it can't be done in real life.
Sincerely, magicfish
@magicfish Haha, so true... ;)

But the 'ACAAN' is probably one of my 'top-performed' effects.

Jv
I've read some versions of it and I'm not yet qualified to perform this as it will take continuous counting in your head and you have to have a good tracking memory hehehe..

The latest trick in the market, I believe is the Holy Grail 2.0 by Alakazam, but CMIIW.
Failed magician

Their are other methods to accomplish the ACAAN effect that does not require what you explain.