(Close Window)
Topic: Amazing and easy tricks
Hello everyone! I just signed up here and what an amazing forum! I recently got hooked on this hobby, browsed a bit and bought some easy tricks on penguin magic and ellusionist, many are very easy to learn with amazing effects like the Oz pearlman card tricks and bought too some beginners dvds to learn the fundamentals but because of work I have little time to practice... But I always been an showoff guy and I love the reactions people have when I pull some tricks xD So, Can anybody here recommend me great tricks but easy to learn? angleproof, and instant reset? I considered buying Yigal Mesika Electric touch, is worth it? seems nice
Thanks!
A piece of advice from someone who's been there. Quit buying tricks and learn some of the fundamentals first. One must learn to crawl before one can walk...then run!

Two great tricks for card magic are Out of This World (OOTW) and Do As I Do, neither of which requires any special gimmicks to learn, just a book or DVD with these effects on them and a little time to learn them.

Two great books for learning some of the fundamentals would be Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and Joshua Jay's Magic: The Complete Course.
What will you do with the Electric touch?

My humble opinion is that it will only be any good as an addition to an effect that suits the gimmick.

Just giving people electric shocks will not really be that entertaining for long and will probably only leave people with the impression that you have some sort of electric shock device.

Using it to enhance an illusion where you are reading their thoughts or transmitting yours will be killer but you need the actual backbone of an effect to back up the gimmick.
If you like the the reactions from the seemingly selfworking tricks imagine the reactions of the effects that use a bit of slight of hand and require a bit of practice.

I reconmend that instead at looking at the dvds that only taech one trick or the expensive props which are useless on their own, you look into buying somebooks that will teacfh you the basics of magic and benifit you more in the long run. if you like card magic I would recommend you buy the royal road to card magic, its quite cheap and a good book to begin with. if you have got more money to spend then instead buy the card college series of books which are more up to date than the royal road.

you may be worried that its a lot of work learning magic but once you have learnt the basics you will have endless possibilitys of what you can do with a deck of cards.
Good routines and great acts are not easy. It takes lots of work.
The electric touch is more like a utility that enhances your on-going routine. It's not exactly a trick on its own. And it won't be easy coming up with a whole routine just by using the electric touch.

Like most of the more expereinced seniors say, good tricks require a good amount
of practise.

If you want angle proof, instant reset and powerful reactions, there are tons of gimmicks out there.

But at the end of the day, they are just gimmicks. Most of them will not last your whole lifetime. Worst is that you won't be able to perform magic if the gimmicks are not with you.

If you really put in effort to practise skills, they will forever be in your memory.

Remember, knowledge is power. Good luck!
As a newbie myself, I strongly recommend that the next thing you buy is Mark Wilson's Complete Course in magic:
http://www.amazon.com/Mark-Wilsons-Complete-Course-Magic/dp/0762414553/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258311617&sr=1-1

Or a similar book.

I promise that it will change your magical life.
That is a good recommendation and I second that.
I fully understand the desire to perform now and learn later. If you do that, you become simply a guy with tricks, just like anyone esle who went to the store - just another show-off.

But if you want to become a magician, at some point you're going to have to stop and learn. So why not now? The trick is actually such a small part of the magic; presentation is everything, and does not come in the box!

I recommend the Klutz Book of Magic - it looks like a kid's book (and it is written and marketed as such), but it puts props in your hands and teaches you how to use them. Magic for Dummies is actually a pretty good book, too, for tips on simple magic with basic props.

Take a look at the free videos on SankeyMagic.com - ~not~ so you can learn a whole slew of new stuff, but so you can listen to Jay teach the subtleties of performing a routine - the "why" of doing certain things, and not just "how".

That's what will take you from another guy with a boring trick to a magician.

Ed
Hey Dark,

I have to completely agree with everyone else. It really isn't hard to find self-workers - buying them from shops, or [dare I say it] watching them on Youtube videos. But anyone can do this.

The real art and fun of 'entertaining' in magic comes from so much more than just the trick. Whether one has practiced the skilled tricks for days/weeks/months, or picked up a packet effect, both will only be performed as well as the performer's ability to entertain.

Being relatively new to magic myself, I appreciate the impatience of just wanting to learn quick effect after quick effect. I agree that a couple of self-workers are very useful, in order for you to instead concentrate on developing your persona and building confidence - but do not rely on these. Keep practicing and the rewards will be far greater, as my novice self is slowly realising.

Good luck with it!
Save your money - electric touch is something that once you really get into magic, will sit in a drawer.

It is a very expensive prop.

Take that money and invest in books. If you are starting out, there are several resources you should focus on before anything else:

Get the Tarbell series. If that is all you every bought, you could make a career out of the magic within them.

Another book, more modern is Maximum Entertainment - it will teach you how to take tricks you learn and really perform them - rather than simply "do them".

Others may disagree with me, but I think you should stay away from the new fad flashy sites like ellusionist. While they have a few decent items, most are junk that are filmed to appeal to kids and they lack real performance value.

Think about this - all the guys making it today... where did THEY learn? They read Tarbell, Corinda, Slydini, Wilson, Vernon, Bobo, and more.

Notice I said READ.... use DVDs to suppliment - but make your core resources BOOKS. Books feed your creative mind where DVDs are "watch and repeat"
Welcome to the Café Darkcless1! I would reccomend you buy Mark Wilson's Complete course in magic and J.B.Bobo's Modern coin magic. These really helped me out. Michael Rubenstein's three dvd set Encylopedia of Coin magic was also a big help to me.
Matthew
I remember the first trick that I learned was professor's nightmare, start with the thing that you like most...
if you like coins, start with bobo's book if you like reading, or the encyclopedia if you like to watch DVDs
if you like cards, mark wilson is great
if you like sponge balls, patrick page secret seminars is great
ART OF ASTONISHMENT BOOK SERIES

Paul.W
From Israel
Even if I agree with everyone that anwsered you, I'll cut you some slack and give you great effects that you would be able to perform during your Christmas vacations if you practice them just a little. In no particular order:

1. Trilogy
2. Kaleidoscope Deck
3. Phil's Trick (Goldstein)
4. Free Will
5. Prophety Pack (Regal)
6. Invisible Deck
7. Mirage Deck
8. Presto Printo (Daryl)

There you go. Hope you enjoy them!
Message: Posted by: Strange Tasting Fish Sticks (Dec 4, 2009 03:17PM)
Pick up the Mark Wilson book and learn the sponge ball routine in there. With practice with sponge balls, its the most amazing magic you can do because it happens in the specatator's hands. Another good DVD to learn them is the sponge ball toolkit with Steve Darci, it comes with props too. The ball through pocket is a very visual/melt through the pocket and I have only seen it in Wilson's book.

Also, another good effect I recommend that is easy to do:
Xtreme Burn By Richard Sanders
Hi I too agree with every one else. If you want some great effects that are really easy but will entertain and are reasonable ,try Bob Solari magic .com. His customer service is second to none. He answers email and can offer advice on all of his effects. I recently purchased a ton of his stuff and I cant say enough about them. He makes it easy to perform great effects ,with quality props. Good Luck, Anthony
[quote]
On 2009-11-15 00:30, darkcless1 wrote:
But I always been an showoff guy and I love the reactions people have when I pull some tricks xD So, Can anybody here recommend me great tricks but easy to learn? angleproof, and instant reset? I considered buying Yigal Mesika Electric touch, is worth it? seems nice
Thanks!
[/quote]

just a friendly reminder darkcless1, don't use magic to showoff and be a showoff guy, the purpose of magic is to entertain and not to offend others...
I agree with everyone on the forum as well. learn the basics there a ton to learn and it books are worth more bang for the buck then tricks from penguin. get bobos modern coin magic, tons of stuff in there. However I also agree with danik ! so while your learning to do the real cool stuff get some spongeballs, a Svengali deck, an stripper or invisible deck and some similar small cheap props look for things that are old standbys that have been around for ever or even something newer like card college lighter (haven't read it personally but its suppose to be mostly self workers). there fun to play with easy to do and will let you work on presentation without having to worry about tons of sleights and psychology. beware though, spouses and co-workers only stand so many tricks before you become annoying so pick the ones you show them carefully and practice as much as possible.
Maybe this guy just loves magic and performing like he said.
And maybe this guy doesn't want to spend hours or weeks and months to learn some magic.
Let's give him a break.
Magic has lot's of opportunity for him as he wants to be, and later if he wants to learn more.
So Dark, I suggest you look into the Tenyo area of this Café. They make exactly the kind of tricks your looking for. Tenyo has over 200 tricks.
Google it and you will find their website and lists and descriptions of their tricks.
On the downside, their average tricks run $20-45, with many going higher because they are becoming quite collectable. Tenyo is a great way to learn more about magic, and get some great tricks to perform for your friends.
Hay there just a few tricks I think are what you’re looking for.
- Silk Vanish (the device for this can be used for 101 things)
- Svengali deck (you can get a 101 tricks book for this a swell)
- Dynamic coins,
- coin squeeze (I did use this as a trick in a stage show I did when I started)
- Invisible deck (is a winner.)
These are all tricks you can buy and use (almost) straight away. Routing tricks, linking tricks and the patter behide them is what make a trick strong. This can be done for any trick.
You mention that you have the fundamentals but not the time to learn. Something you should learn are sponge balls. Also the Mark Wilson book well give you the basic in cards, coins, rope, sponge balls and much more.

Keep going and enjoy your magic and let others enjoy it aswell.
Another vote for the Mark Wilson course.
Tarbell if you can afford it is the encyclopedia of classic magic.
Books are almost always your best purchase, but for effects:
Invisible Deck
Stripper Deck
The Tarbell course is a must have.
I have to say, in the long run the books will mean more than all the props you can buy.

That said, I'm going to suggest that right now you might want some DVDs. There are oodles of them out there and rather than suggest any, I'll say ask here for specific suggestions when you know what you want to learn. You get tons more tricks with a book, but a good presentation suggestion makes the DVD well worth your time. When you get used to performing, you will find that the books become even more valuable because you will have reached the point where the workings of the trick are all you need and you can figure out how to flesh it out into a good routine without needing someone else to show you (in person or on the screen).

Angle proof? Not sure there is such a beast, except in self-working gimmicks. Or only after a lot of practice. But how about low-angle issue? That work for you? If so, here are a few good suggestions:

-I thought spongeballs were dumb until I saw them demonstrated. They will knock the socks off of anyone if done well. Advice: give them personalities to motivate what is happening. I like the sponge bears I got from magic4less.com if I am doing a sponge routine for kids.

-TT for simple vanishes or productions. Please, try to avoid the overly-exposed trick of shoving a hankie in your hand and having it vanish. I like this one in reverse. I take off my glasses and look at the dust on them, pull a hankie out of my left hand, wipe the glasses, put the hankie away, casualy showing my hands empty. It isn't the main trick, it is just a magical moment and I think has more impact because it is so unexpected.

-Bite-out quarter. Don't expect the reactions from David Blaine's TV show, but it is a cool bit of fun. Learn the Bobo switch so you can hand out a quarter after putting the bite back on.

-C&R rope. Look for Whit Haydn's Mongolian Pop Knot routine. Watch him on YouTube. Think about how many times he cuts the rope and how many moves he really makes. Not that many. But he fills about 8 minutes with fun and magic. If that's a routine you want to be able to do, pay for Whit's work. Great stuff. Also, Aldo Colombini has a DVD called Roped In that has several good rope routines and some little bits of humor on it. Well worth getting, but be warned that it is not the slick production you get from a big production house. Great material, though.

If those are not the sort of thing you are looking for, please elucidate what sort of magic winds your clock. This is a very helpful forum if you show that you are willing to actually put in a little effort learning.

-Patrick
[quote]
On 2011-02-01 01:13, Mr. Woolery wrote:
-I thought spongeballs were dumb until I saw them demonstrated. They will knock the socks off of anyone if done well.
[/quote]

I bought a set of sponge balls when I was a kid after I saw them demonstrated. When I got them I push on them through the box to see if them would vanish or change in some way. Then I opened the box, took them out and gave them a real good squeeze and nothing happened....I was shocked.
Along with the other good book suggestions I will add the first book I bought that really taught me sleight of hand. I learned most fo it while in Junior highschool. Its not hard, it jsut takes practice.

Anyway the book is Bill Tarr's "now you see it, Now you don't."

Wilsons book is great because there is a bit of everything in there, including quite a bit of prop-based magic you can make yourself for pennies or a few dollars.
The other thing Id suggest to you is this...

Whether a "trick" is amazing or just a little puzzle all comes down to presentation. Its the magician that really makes the magic.
The Tarbell course is available free from the learned pig project.
As mentioned before, you need to know the fundamentals first. Go to your local library, pick up a nice magic book, buy some DVD's or (dare I say) look up stuff on YouTube. It is sad and frustrating to a lot of magicians, but you can find almost anything on there.....hey, magicians need to start somewhere, right?
My understanding is that the version available on TLP is the mail order lessons only, and that the bound volumes offer much more material. Still, it’s essential information for any magician. Definitely worth joining “the Pig”.
Buy a Thumb Tip and learn silk vanishes. That's a great way to begin your life in magic. Learn from DVD's that teach thumb tip routines.

Thumb tip magic will provide you with the fundamentals of magic - misdirection, angles, presentation, learning to relax & not be so rigid, and other things like that. High class professionals use Thumb Tips all the time in their shows too, so don't underestimate it.

Also, consider learning the Invisible Deck. It looks like real magic.
The cut & restored rope is a fantastic way to get into magic too.

DVD's I recommend to you - Paul Green's "In the trenches" (Teaches a great cut & restored rope), Ellis in Wonderland (has a great variety of fun stuff).

And I totally recommend Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Nearly every magician started out with this book.
Was it really necessary to ressurect this thread?
Judging by the number of people (with more experience in what goes on in the Café, if their number of posts is any indication) who responded, I'd say it was worth it. Never can tell when another newbie will happen by.

Maybe this one - or something likeit - should be a sticky. (I know we've got _two_ sticky threads on books - but who wants to wade through all they stuff?!!? "I jus' wanna do _magic_!!")

Ed
Some great tips above!

Here's one from me - this trick is almost selfworking, impromptu, and plays very strong. I use it for long time now, and never wa disappointed with it. It's Stigmata by Wayne Houchin. I think you can get it from Ellusionist. People really react great to this, I'm sure you would like this.
If you are new into magic and you want to buy something. Buy books, Buy Books, Buy Books, and read, read, read! Reading Magic publications only inspires, and teaches the fundamentals that can lead to original concepts. That's why reading can be much better then a trick or prop. By learning the foundation the creative side of your mind can build the routine behind the effects that interest you. "Electric touch" can turn into a "Shocking punch" without a complete routine and stable delivery. (Pun intended)

And the best advice I could offer is to take your time. Sure set yourself development goals, but don't rush the process. The beauty of magic is that with time comes greater confidence.

- My Thoughts
Btw... although we tend to talk about books on sleight of hand a lot, don't think that everything from a book is going to be "hard". As a kid without much money I learned and built a lot of self-workers from books. Its pretty amazing the magic you can perform with things like a kitchen match, or a bottle of elmer's glue and your dad's last week's New York Times.
As far as books go -- I found Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" to be very instructive. Full of all sorts of good tricks, plus advice about presentation and also explanations of basic coin and card sleights.
I'm not convinced by the electric touch. I've never seen one, but I built myself a very similar machine (to covertly mess with sensitive electronics) long before being interested in magic. Any decent physicist, engineer, etc etc should be able to figure it out very quickly indeed. Plus shocking people? Not convinced... Use it to make sandstorms at your fingertips or ignite dishes of fuel at a touch perhaps...

Plus, I don't remember what it cost to build my version, but it sure as hell wasn't 200$
I do a triumph routine that's used the sloppy shuffle and its fairly easy and gets great reactions!
That might work for you!

-JOSHTMAGIC
I've written a few books JUST FOR YOU!