(Close Window)
Topic: Facts and questions about dreaming
Hi there,

I would like to get some insight about dreams. I have started collecting data on my own and would like to ask you good people a few personnal questions about your dreams, as a litlle survey:

---===if you know about a book or document that would tackle the issues I am raising, any reference would be more than welcome! ===---

Here come the questions:

1 - Would you consider yourself a visual/auditory/kinesthesic person?
2 - Are you dreams in color or black and white?
3 - Do you dream of continuous stories (well, as much as dreams can create, there are always weird stuff in them) or scattered scenes without any connections.
4 - Do you feel strong emotions during your dreams?
5 - Do you have a recurrent dream?
6 - Any other specific details?

I think we may come up with interesting discoveries and connections. I start answering:

1. visual
2. always in color
3. continuous stories, with sometimes kinda elaborated scenario...I sometimes take notes after waking up to keep some good ideas my subconscious brought up ^^. They almost never take place in my everyday life's setting.
4. During stories, strong emotions may arise (diffuse danger, excitement)
5. Not really, more like reccuring moods in the dreams

Talking to friends, I found out that when a 29 years old friend of mine dreams about her brothers who are around 30, they are always dreamt as 9-10 kids. One kinesthesic friend of mine (to learn his lessons, he used to rewrite them and he has trouble to visualize imaginery scenes), his dreams are black and white and consituted most importantly of moods and sensations instead of 'stories'

I hope this thread will grow! Thanks in advance for your input

Cheers

M.
In my classroom, I sometimes discuss the issues of dreams with my students. Without getting into the various theories or my personal opinion, I would like to share one fact with you that always seems to startle the students.

This is it: If we are supposed to average 8 hours sleep a night and if over our lifetime that is indeed the average hours of sleep we get, then if we live to be 75 years of age, we will have been asleep for 25 of those years.
Yes, I consider myself to be an visual/auditory/kinesthesic person

I generally do not recall my dreams

Those that I do have a fleeting memory of are in colour

Since I rarely recall them, and never in any great detail I do not know if they have reoccurring themes.

Since I cannot recall them I do not know if there are any emotions, strong or otherwise.
If not visual/auditory I'd be featured in the play Tommy

Color

3 - Do you dream of continuous stories (well, as much as dreams can create, there are always weird stuff in them) or scattered scenes without any connections.
Story line stuff, I often go back into the same dream if I wake up for only a few seconds.

Strong emotions? Nope.

Yup

About what?
All of the above.
Color since 1966.
Complete episodes with directors cuts and commentary.
Only when they involve the beast with two backs.
That would be the beast with two backs.
On this forum? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
I believe that I do not dream in visual images. I am aware of ideas, of people, of actions and situations, but I have no recollection of any visual images, colour or otherwise.

My dreams are often very emotional.

I had many recurring dreams before about age 30; they seem to mostly be one-offs now.

John

Very much visual and auditory. Don't know what kinesthetic means.

Color. And 3D. Dreams seem very real to me, until I wake up.

My dreams are often full-scale dramatic productions, so much so that I once got the idea that I should write them down because they would make good novels or even film scripts. I've gone to the trouble of writing one or two down, and the "plots" were nonsense to me while awake. Still, there was a storyline, nonsense notwithstanding.

Sometimes the emotions are strong enough to rattle me for days. More than once a dream has instigated a two or three week long depression.

I have at least four, maybe five. If anyone is interested (and I have no idea why they would be) they can read about my recurrent dreams on my blog. Just Google "Stoneunhinged" and you'll find it. Then type "dreams" into the search engine and you're all set to enter my disturbed world.

Just that dreams seem to play a larger role in my life than anyone I know (such as my wife, son, or close friends) admits. No one else has admitted to me that a dream can set them off into depression.

I have also woken myself up with screams or weeping.

Still, I wouldn't tell y'all these things if I thought I were entirely alone or that it's proof of paranoid schizophrenia or some other serious disorder. I just think I belong to a category of people who [i]dream [b]hard[/b][/i].
Thank you for your serious answers (and sometimes witty jokes ) so far :) I hope more are following!

@ Magnus and Stoneunhinged:

Magnus, your description may be a clue that you are mostly a kinesthesic person. To clarify, Stoneunhinged, it consists in approaching the world by the body (sensations, movement, etc). My father does not make many visual dreams either, and as a child he used to learn his lessons by rewriting them a couple of times: memory associated with movement of writing! As a visual person, I used to see something like a picture of my lesson pages when I was trying retrieving some information. Auditory people would hear the voice of their teacher during his lessons when they try to remember a particular piece of information).

Welcome to the club of writers, Stoneunhinged ;) During my dreams, it feels like it could be the next blockbuster given the suspense or emotions I feel, but it is difficult to write them down in a coherent manner once awake. Still, I believe some elements are usable as nice ideas, twists, etc...for a novel or so.

I hope I will enjoy many more posts on this thread...keep them coming ^^

Cheers

M.
I don't know what type of person I am, but I remember dreams a couple of times a week. Nothing too exciting to report about it with two unusual experiences...

1) I have died in a dream and lived to tell about it. Basically my head was blown off in a shooting incident.

2) This is the weird one. In my dreams, I cannot read. If there is anything written I look at, I have no clue what it is saying.
Nothing too exciting? Well....I wonder if some people are dreaming of everyday life: getting up, going to work, shopping, etc...without any fantastic and unusual element ^^

So question 7: Have you ever made a dream without any fancy element in it?

Usually I cannot read either during my dreams. But once, I was seeing a blurry word written somewhere (actually it was the title name of my dream during the end credits :P) and I absolutely wanted to know what that word was. I guees my brain picked up the first word coming to my mind as this word happened to be "Aquarium", which was barely related to the dream itself.

M.
As to question seven... I once dreamed I was walking down the street and ran into my former department chair. I asked him how he was, he said he was doing alright. He asked me how I was, and I told him "good". We said goodbye and that was it. Absolutely nothing fantastic to that one.
They are just thoughts we have when we sleep, like day dreaming but at night.
How is Magnus' dreams kinesthesic? Because he can't recall his dreams doen't imply kinesthetic, a dogs dream where it might be kicking its legs does.

Here is a better translation of that word, do any of you thrash around in your dreams and wake up having done so w/out recalling the dream?
When I say that Magnus' dream would be kinesthesic, it is because he doesn't seem to see pictures in his dreams, but he says he is aware of people, situations, etc...

Maybe it is not kinesthesic but something else. As long as it relates more to feelings, sensations etc, I assume it is kinesthesic because it does not relate to pictures...More like a 'feeling' of what happened :)

tommy, can you tell us about your night-"day dreaming"? :) I guess we have less control of the night thoughts compared to the day dreaming?

6 - Do you make dreams without any fancy elements in it?

Cheers,

M.
[quote]
On 2009-11-16 04:26, swiss_magician wrote:
Still, I believe some elements are usable as nice ideas, twists, etc...for a novel or so.
[/quote]

Actually, one of my unpublished novels is based on an idea in a dream.

And BTW: I had a TON of very lucid, colorful, story-like dreams during my alcohol free weekend.

Makes one wonder.
[quote]
On 2009-11-23 12:00, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-11-16 04:26, swiss_magician wrote:
Still, I believe some elements are usable as nice ideas, twists, etc...for a novel or so.
[/quote]

Actually, one of my unpublished novels is based on an idea in a dream.

And BTW: I had a TON of very lucid, colorful, story-like dreams during my alcohol free weekend.

Makes one wonder.
[/quote]

It does make one wonder. Same thing happened to me when I stopped smoking for a bit.
When I first quit smoking I dreamed about it so vividly I'd wake up afraid I had dropped a cig.
[quote]
On 2009-11-23 12:00, stoneunhinged wrote:

Makes one wonder.
[/quote]

According to the [url=http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa41.htm]National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism[/url]

[quote]
Alcohol consumed at bedtime, after an initial stimulating effect, may decrease the time required to fall asleep. Because of alcohol's sedating effect, many people with insomnia consume alcohol to promote sleep. However, alcohol consumed within an hour of bedtime appears to disrupt the second half of the sleep period (7). The subject may sleep fitfully during the second half of sleep, awakening from dreams and returning to sleep with difficulty. With continued consumption just before bedtime, alcohol's sleep-inducing effect may decrease, while its disruptive effects continue or increase (8). This sleep disruption may lead to daytime fatigue and sleepiness. The elderly are at particular risk, because they achieve higher levels of alcohol in the blood and brain than do younger persons after consuming an equivalent dose. Bedtime alcohol consumption among older persons may lead to unsteadiness if walking is attempted during the night, with increased risk of falls and injuries (3). [/quote]
Santa, you and I are speaking of different vices. I smoke crack.
See, we all are different colors of smoke in the rainbow of abuse.
What a statement. Rainbows are nice.
I consider myself a visual and auditory person. I don't have a very good kinesthetic memory.

I dream in color.

I mostly dream that something is going on for some time and I can follow a story for a while but it may or may not have an ending per se.

I occasionally have very strong emotions when dreaming (of all sorts).

I do have recurring dreams and recurring places in my dreams with different things happening in the same locations.

I have always enjoyed dreaming and occasionally solve problems or get good ideas when dreaming (or day dreaming).

I can occasionally do lucid dreaming like realize that there will be no consequences for eating anything at the dream buffet (I can taste in my dreams) or pursue a flying dream knowing its a dream. I can not read more than a few words while dreaming.

-Mary Mowder
[url=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/dreams/]NOVA[/url] just aired a very interesting show on the nature of dreams. The biggest surprise for me was to find out that we actually have TWO dream states, not just the one REM state that I thought we had.

As for reading in a dream, I think you can't because dreams have their origins on one side of the brain, while the ability to read is related to the other side. So you can't read something in a dream.

Me, I have dreams in color. They do have a story line. In fact, I have had three or four dreams on the same subject, almost as chapters in a story. I did start writing it down, but have since dropped the project. May just start it up again, as it was very vivid, almost as if it wanted me to write it.

I have also solved a problem with a class project in Assembly Language programming while dreaming. Not only did I figure out the problem, but I woke up with all the code still in my head to get the program to run! Truly amazing. In fact, as the Nova program points out, at least two Nobel Prizes have been won by problems that were solved in dreams. One of them, I think, was the structure of the atom and the other was for DNA.