(Close Window)
Topic: Does anybody else use this tagline?
I am in the middle of re-branding and I would like to know if anyone else is using the tagline:

the magic just happens...

Thanks for your replies
I do now! Thanks!!! (lol - just kidding)
Looks fairly unused to me.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22the+magic+just+happens%22&aq=f&oq=&aqi=
Haven't seen anyone using it yet.
Hmmmm
"the magic just happens... "

Then what do they need you for? ;)

(Just kidding. Good luck with it.)
[quote]
On 2009-11-17 11:23, the Sponge wrote:
Hmmmm
[/quote]

Hi Sponge, is this your marketing tagline or just a signature here on the forum? I live in Germany and would love to use this as it fits my act perfectly and English is in fashion at the moment. I respect the fact you have it as a signature but a search did not pick it up anywhere until now.

What is the etiquette on this one?
Is this not the old statement **** happens but revised?

:)
[quote]
On 2009-11-17 17:36, Tim Dowd wrote:

Hi Sponge, is this your marketing tagline or just a signature here on the forum? I live in Germany and would love to use this as it fits my act perfectly and English is in fashion at the moment. I respect the fact you have it as a signature but a search did not pick it up anywhere until now.

What is the etiquette on this one?
[/quote]

Tim,

I just added that after reading this thread just to screw around. I don't use it.

s
Would a potential client know what "The magic just happens" means?

I'm a professional magician and I don't :)
Thanks everyone.
Unless you insert an exclamation point at the end of the phrase,IMHO, it is possible that it will sound too casual to the reader.

Signed,

Max & Maxine Entertainment
...Making Magic Happen!

;)
[quote]
On 2009-11-17 12:49, RJE wrote:

[/quote]

That was my first thought as well. LOL.
[quote]
On 2009-11-19 13:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]
On 2009-11-17 12:49, RJE wrote:

[/quote]

That was my first thought as well. LOL.
[/quote]

mine too
So of the 6 billion people on the planet, three answer the question three make a joke :) and the rest hate it -got to rethink...

"and the magic just happens... because I'm here..."
"if it wasn't for me... no magic would happen...!"

or back to my old tagline: "Close-Up and in your face..." but that cuts out Stand-Up and Stage

or just something simple "...the amazing illusions of Timothy Dowd-MMC"

although I appreciate the negative comments, if they were followed up with a suggestion they would be more beneficial to me, there are better ways to get into the eternal order...

Magicians helping magicians... any takers?
Tim,

I think the reason you haven't gotten suggestions for improving your USP is because they are too generic for us to know what you do. Who is your client base and how can you BENEFIT them by fulfilling their needs? What is special about your performance/entertainment style?

A USP should be something that the competition wouldn't be able to steal--that is uniquely YOU.
Personally, I like it - especially if you use it as a running line in your performances.

My suggestion is to try it out. After all, USPs don't grow overnight. Test it out for a few months.
Tim, if you ever want to sell those four words, let me know. I am sure you know how it is, buying unnecessary things just happen.
I am sat in Dombrowski in Regensburg with Dave Bonney http://www.davebonney.com and we agree. You've got to try it out.
I learnt a long time ago, you can't please everyone...

Thanks again to everyone.
So I am guessing, Tim, that you did not like my alternate tag line...

Tim Dowd
Making the Magic Happen!

or, in keeping with what seems to be your stage name (extracted from part of your real first name)...

Othy,
Making the Magic Happen!

Frankly, I find the name "Tim" or "Tim Dowd" to be much more personable and memorable than "Othy"... but that's just me. OthyMaigc may confse the prospect into thinking their is a typo in the address adn you meant to say "OtherMagic... or soemthing else. Again, my humble opinion.

Also, the tag line
"... Close Up and IN Your Face" may come off as fun for some, but a bit aggressive for others (subconsciously, of course). Just my 3 cents ;)

Glad you actually "did" have some helpful feedback and suggestions on this thread.

Hope you enjoyed having some of this food for thought.

Let us know how your trial period for your new tag line works out.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
I like making the magic happen. Now you start to get something that is more of a benefit to the prospect and becomes a bit more unique. The magic just happens does not really sell you or focus on your abilities as a magician. It almost downplays your importance to the consumer.

I think a tagline or USP needs to be "unique" and really sell YOU and what makes you so different form then rest? What do you bring to the table others simply do not?

Jonathan's suggestion takes your idea and starts to make it a bit more positively focused. It starts to focus more on YOU as a performer and that YOU make the magic happen. It also is a play on words cause you make the magic happen ion the show but you also make the magic happen for a successful event for the client.

Kyle
Message: Posted by: Robert The Magical Radway (Nov 23, 2009 09:46PM)
Kyle is right. The magic just happens seems more passive, as though you are not doing anything, YOU, which is what you are trying to sell, isn't creating the magic. So why would you hire someone who is a passive stand by person?

The Magical Radway
I think you are on the right track and I applaude you for working on your tagline or USP. It is never easy and takes a lot of really looking at yourself and your magic and really defining what is it exactly that makes you YOU. It is that unique part of who you are and what you provide that makes you different and important to a client. THIS is what you have to tap into. really start to define what makes you different from the rest. What do you provide a client that no one else can?

I think sometimes asking some people you know can also help. Just make sure you tell them to be dead honest and that you are not finding fault with them. But ask them how they see you and how they view what you do. Often times how you perceive yourself is not how others perceive you.

Hope this helps.

Kyle
As usual, Kyle makes excellent points, base don his many years of experience in the areas of both performing and marketing. He also offers more wisdom in his ebook, that has recently been released to the entire magic fraternity. I am guessing it is available via his site.

http://www.kyleandkellymagic.com

Jonathan
Thanks Jonathon. I appreciate the kind words. Actually I keep my site for my shows only. I sell my books through other sites such as

http://www.magicenhancer.com

At any rate, I really think you are on the right track and just need to think about it a bit more in relation to who you are as a magician and what are clients getting from you that they can not get anywhere else.

Hope I have been of helkp to you.

Kyle
The magic just happens...with 10 years of Practice

the magic just happens...and I provide the entertainment

the magic just happens... and you wont believe your eyes

however Kyle makes some great points as usual

making the magic happen...for over 15 years

making the magic happen... that's just for starters

making the magic happen... that's what I do

just my radom thoughts here at 12:45 am with only 3 hours of sleepthe night before!
SAM
Good stuff Sam. Now some of these start to make sense. May not be perfect and may need to be refined, but Sam starts to begin exploring the unique qualities of the performer. When the prospect looks at the tagline or USP, they should get a VERY clear idea of who you are, what you do and what makes you unique.

Kyle
WOW thanks guys!

Jonathan, I misunderstood. I love the tagline "Making the Magic Happen!" I thought it was yours...

If I may try this out I will let you all know how I get on.

Thanks again to Jonathan, Kyle, SAM, Robert, Dynamike, Steve, Alexa, Curtis, Danny, Futureal, The Sponge, RJE, James, Alikzam and Signor Blitz... for contributing...

Timothy Dowd, Making the Magic Happen!
Making the magic happen...right in your own house

making the magic happen...right before your eyes

making the magic happen...for only 50bucks

ok that last one is just silly

making the magic happen...fil in the blank___________________
Pleasure to be of some help, Tim.

No I have never actually used this tag line. Your intial tag line caused me to think of how I might modify it for myself, if I needed one.

Doesn't really fit our style and show personas, but I believe it may fit yours.

It is yours for the taking, if you like it.

Best wishes.

Let us know how it goes.

Jonathan
Magicians helping magicians. =)
Crap I was h elping some one. how did that happen.

jsut kidding if any of what I said helps then Great.

glad to do it.

by the way let us know what you go with so we can steal it.

snap did I just say that out loud. oops

good luck
sam
...That's okay, Sam. It happens to the best of us.

Jonathan
Representing The Hilarious Magic of Max
http://www.maxmagician.com

...whoops, did I pick that tag line up from somewhere???

If so, I didn't meant to (say it) ;)

Jonathan
Representing The Hilarious Magic of Max
One of America's Premier Entertainers
http://www.maxmagician.com

:wow:

...Now "that''s" a tag line I'd sure like to use (especially since I'm based in Canada ;)
This thread is becoming fun...

Thanks again...
You have Tim Dowd to thank for that...

After all, he started this thread and he made the magic happen! ;)

Posted: Nov 30, 2009 7:36pm
Hey Tim...

I just clicked onto your site and see that you have revised your tag line to Read:
http://www.othymagic.de

Timothy Dowd, "... Making the Magic Happen!"

I have to tell you, if I must say so myself... I "do" like it (a lot).

Congratulations!

I encourage you to now consider purchasing http://www.timothydowd.com

(if you haven't already done so) and to start using this url address in your signature and in your publicity, etc.

You wiqll be creating a much stronger and very consistent Brand that will be much more easily remembered (IMHO) than your current url: http://www.othymagic.de , plus you (and your name) is unique and you will set yourself apart from the competition.

Not to mention the Search Engine Optimization SEO benefits.

Perhaps you have already considered this strategy, but now is the time to put it into action.

Best wishes.

Jonathan Levey
"...Making the Magic "Really" happen!"
http://www.timothydowd.com
OK guys and gals,
it's been over a year now and I have been successfully using the tagline ...Making the Magic Happen! it is also my intro and outro. it has got me gigs based on the feedback from customers they think my promotion is more professional than my local competition so thanks again for all the help...

I now own http://www.timothydowd.de and http://www.timothydowd.com (German and English)

I am creating my one man show as we speak which not only includes my close-up and parlor routines but will include a seance section with Outlaw props, I can't wait...
Mr (Herr) Dowd. I just went to your site and watched your vid of the professor's nightmare. EXCELLENT!! You did an outstanding job of using your tagline Making the Magic Happen throujghout the routine and the patter was original and captivating. Break a leg with your shows.

Paddy
I agree. You ARE making the magic happen.

David
David and Paddy Tanks for the encouragement
Tim
I'm coming in here late, but I think that your tag line should be more personal.

"the man who makes the magic happen"

"the magician who makes the magic happen"

"Tim Dowd makes all the magic happen"

"makes the magic happen" sounds like half a sentence to me.

Just my two cents
Hi Al,

I just saw this... thanks for the suggestions.

I am pretty happy with the tagline now it is used as a sentence in the show "Hello my name is Timothy Dowd ...Making the Magic Happen!" as in I make the magic happen :) the ellipse denotes a short pause and I tend to (over)use these anyway...