(Close Window)
Topic: Backdrop Help
Hello all!

I've got two backdrops, a Jet Set, and a traditional type 8' x 8' in black that I'd like to get Nu-lash/Mylar strip drapes for. I'd also like a big stage size piece for Asrah etc. Sean Bogunia had a link to a fabric place on his site for it and it looks like they're not available any longer. I've done a search online for it to no avail as well.

Anyone have some laying around, or no where I could find some new ones?

Thanks
Contact Dazians or Rose Brand here in Los Angeles.
Plus one for [url=http://www.rosebrand.com/]Rose Brand[/url]. They're a great company to work with. Very helpful people, and they have everything you would need!
Go to the party store and buy enough Mylar doorway curtains to make one. They work but they are not quite 8' high. (I use them with my suspension.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Dazian's is the one from Sean's site and don't look like they carry it anymore.

Rose Brand has a product called "Eye Lash". Is this the same as the "Nu-lash" and accomplish the same thing?

Thanks to all for the info!

Posted: Nov 22, 2009 11:26pm
Also Bob, what suspension are you referring to???
Definitely Rosebrand...they have a vast selection of mylar rain curtain in every size, configuration and color...
Brown beauty magic is the only one that has Nu-Lash Only available thru Magic Auction. be aware if you buy it you have to hem all 4 sides. They want $12 a yard and about $50 per panel to hem it. I just bought a bolt of material from them and it is being hemmed right now. I'm paying $18 a panel for hemming. I use it for a pipe and drape hook up.
"Infinity" Nu-Lash is woven exclusively by Brownbeauty Magic. We stock silver and royal blue. This is Woven 54" wide. We can also fire retard it for you to pass NFPA 701 (fire code for commercial applications).
Sean Bogunia will soon be promoting it on his site. It is perfect for hiding his Dancing Hanky products and all other floating effects.
Kirby Van Burch just recently purchased a very large quantity for his new Theater in Branson.
[quote]
On 2009-11-22 23:26, Zaprig1 wrote:
Also Bob, what suspension are you referring to???
[/quote]

Super X

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Here is a picture of the Royal Blue Infinity Nu-Lash. I also offer it in 30 addtional colors but magicians prefer the Silver and Royal Blue.
We also have an in house drapery workroom and would be glad to quote on the finished curtain/backdrop.
I use rose brand too. http://www.rosebrand.com/
Rosebrand use to carry "eye lash" which is almost the same as Nu-Lash but they are discontinuing it plus it's only 40" wide and the cost is $18.00 yd. Infinity Nu Lash is 54" wide and only $12.00 yd. We never discontinue any of our fabrics. Nobody weaves Nu-Lash any longer except BrownBeauty Magic. We have our own weaving facility in Los Angeles, CA.
Bob,

Do you do this just for flash, or can you actually walk away from the apparatus without having a walk away suspension etc.? That'd have to be awful thin!

Curious, thanks!
I can walk away! (Tape about 2" on either side of the support to the floor so it want blow away.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Great idea, Bob! The thickness of the support should have little to do with this. It's all about camouflage!! Hide it in plain sight!!
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 24, 2009 01:34PM)
A very cheap source for eye-lash fabric I used once and was fairly happy with for the price:

http://www.paylessfabric.com/servlet/the-Apparel-Fabrics-cln-Eyelash-Fabric/Categories

Walt
Yes Bob, that is a great idea! Mind if I borrow that one day?

Walt,

Did you just have someone strip or weave that for you, or were you not using this for my intent?

Thanks
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Nov 25, 2009 08:25PM)
I'm very lucky I have a local tailor who will help with any magic sewing I need at an undermarket rate, maybe if you look at the dry cleaning shops in your area you'll find someone who can do mircales with fabric as well.

Walt
Thanks Walt!

Just to confirm with all: The proper term for what I call "the paper shredded look" to a tailor would be considered "weaving"? Funning thing is; if I cut it in strips small enough to fit in my shredder, it seems like it'd do the very same thing nicely ;) LOL!
"Weaving" is the textile art in which two distinct sets of yarns or threads, called the warp and the filling, are interlaced with each other to form a fabric or cloth. This is how Nu-Lash is manufactured using metallic yarns.

I believe the "paper shredded" look you are referring to is the Mylar rain curtain material.
So, does the Mylar rain curtain accomplish the same thing as Nu-Lash etc?
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Dec 3, 2009 08:04AM)
The problem with Mylar rain curtains is storage if you are not in a fixed location. Mylar tends to tangle and tear. The cheap stuff that you get from party stores will tear away from the top hem.

I have used royal blue Nu-lash for years. It has distinct advantages:

1. It doesn't wrinkle. It always looks good when hung. We store the curtain panels in large cloth bags inside ATA cases.

2. It is tough material. We have never had a panel tear.

3. It won't blind the audience like Mylar. When Mylar is lit, it's like a mirror reflection. When properly lit, Nu-lash hides threads, yet doesn't blind an audience.

4. The Royal blue panels compliment most other colors. We use them in conjunction with black velour curtain panels. They just make your stage setting look sharp!

$12 per yard from Rudy for 54" panels is a great value. 54" wide compared to 40" wide means you purchase less material for completed curtain panels. Guys, when you make the investment up front, it will last you for years!

Just my thoughts. No, I don't get a commission from Rudy or Rosebrand! :)

Lou
Lou,

Thanks for a most complete response! Most of my props and illusions are royal blue/purple. I do have some red and black and silver/black illusions, but perhaps the contrast would be good.

Thanks again!
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Dec 5, 2009 01:39PM)
My pleasure!

Lou
Zaprig1,

I just bought a large mylar rain curtain from Rosebrand. I had many others from here suggest that the mylar rain was the best for performing an Asrah levitation. I bought the pipe and base system to hang it from through somebody else though. They actually manufacture pipe and base products sold by Rosebrand, but they are much cheaper. If you are interested in the Mylar Rain type curtain let me know and I can send you the information I received from the magicians on here as well as my own experience with it.

Also, for anyone interested in pipe and base systems to hang your backdrops from. http://www.innovative-sys.com is the company that makes the systems sold by Rosebrand. Their prices are cheaper for the same product. The bases are pretty expensive though, even from them they were 169.00 a piece and I needed 4. I contacted a metal fabrication business in my home town. innovative-sys gave me the specs of their bases so I could see if these guys could make it. I am now having them made for 44 bucks a piece. That's 176 bucks total! 4 of them for nearly the price of 1!!! On top of that I saved a couple of hundred on the shipping costs. Innovative-sys was happy to help out even though it meant that they would not be selling their bases. I don't get a commission neither.....just thought I'd throw out the name of a great company!
W S,

Thanks for the info as well! Sure, I'd love to hear some more of the benefits to this system! Please feel free to PM me with more info!

CPH
Hello Zaprig,

PM Sent, if anyone else is interested feel free to contact me.

Scott