(Close Window)
Topic: That'll never work! Oh wait, it did.
(I'd rather have posted this to a general magic forum so people in different disciplines could weigh in, but I couldn't find one, so I'll post here since my example applies to mentalism somewhat)

Yesterday, I met a friend on the bus and they showed some interest in magic. Instead of doing the usual which they already saw me do a while back, I decided to try something I saw on Derren Brown's "Devil's Picture Book" tape. I said it was hard to do and not to be disappointed if it didn't work (I would've done something more conventional if it had failed).

The friend went through a selection procedure with an invisible deck. When it was time to turn over my prediction, I got a great reaction. Somehow I managed to get the effect to work when I was expecting to fail miserably.

So, have you ever in a moment of pure despair tried an effect you didn't expect to deliver only to get a great reaction?
Nice work MGM! I've clawed a few impossible successes from the jaws of failure before: I used to use a kind of flag deck to suss out what country someone was thinking of, effectively a kind of ranged force. I walked through the process and totally missed - it was clear they were thinking of a country that wasn't actually available to them in the range, so... one of about one hundred and eighty odd possibilities left then... I took a second to sum them up then shot out Egypt (a guess from nowhere). It worked!

They were pretty baffled having, I think, tried to throw me off / screw me up, but I swallowed my own amazement and just nodded sagely at this inevitable success. It was great.

Impossibly remote high five!
I used an Osterlind method to correctly predict thought of cards at a party. The first one was only a simple force with a bit of mumbo, to which the response was "ok, so what card am I thikning of now, then?"

I hit 100 per cent three times in a row before the girl freaked on me! Best moment ever that :)

Erm, well, not quite... ;-)
Withnail, that sounds awesome. I've had a few of these things happen - I think if I wasn't careful I would decide I was actually psychic.
I was giving a woman a reading over the phone not too long and for reasons I cannot fathom I told her she had five children, two of whom were girls.

I was right. She was freaked out. I was stunned.
I once classically forced two queens (hearts & diamonds)on two guys at a large dinner party. They happened to be gay, and they saw the 'coincidence' as a sign, bless them.
The first time I tried one of DBs psychology forces something like that happened to me. When the person named the card she was thinking I was as shocked as her.
Every once in a while this happens to all of us who perform Magic on a regular basis...

Make sure you make the most of it every time, I know I do... :)

Law of Averages, don't you just love it!

:online:
[quote]
On 2009-11-27 01:37, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Every once in a while this happens to all of us who perform Magic on a regular basis...

Make sure you make the most of it every time, I know I do... :)

Law of Averages, don't you just love it!

:online:
[/quote]

Yeah, ain't it grand? :online:
Once, I wanted to force psychologicaly a letter of the alphabet to a friend, to test the method I developed. We were at a dinner table, no pen at disposal. with my fork, I wrote by pressure the letter on the paper table protection. I just placed a wine bottle above it.

And, after presenting this as an experiment, for one of the first times, my technique worked, spot on! After naming the letter I wanted him to name, I lifted the bottle so he could see that I knew in advance which one he would pick...My friend was kind of shocked. He checked some other places on the table just to see if I did not write other letters under other objects, but he found nothing. This day, I just felt like Derren xD
Nice work! Some of my routines have a chance of failing, some larger than others, so I know how you feel - and I've performed the routine you mentioned personally too..

Might I take this opportunity to add simply that if you believe you will succeed, it goes a surprisingly long way. To paraphrase a story in Richard Osterlind's excellent book Mystique - a hypnotist introduced as a hypnotist, billed as a hypnotist, believed to be a hypnotist and acting like a hypnotist has won the battle. Besides, failure is only bad if you think of it as bad!
[quote]
On 2009-11-27 07:16, praetoritevong wrote:
Might I take this opportunity to add simply that if you believe you will succeed, it goes a surprisingly long way.
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean. When I'm trying out psych forces and the like I usually like to have a physical out or some kind of back up: it gives me the confidence to play around with no fear of failure, and this confidence in turn seems to make the hit rate go up significantly.