(Close Window)
Topic: Film Canisters
I have several 35mm film canisters lying around.

Does anyone use them for storage or when walking around? It seems they could do double duty are both storage and as a prop - a cup for example, though the younger set would probably have no idea what they are so they might look "gimmicky."

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
I use to make handkerchief pulls out of them and many, many years ago they were used as one’s stash for… never mind, it was the 70’s. .
Used to hold gimmick in Seabrooke's cigarrete in coat
BCS, 1972 was the height of the sixties.

Jim
[quote]
On 2009-11-29 13:43, nagi cpa wrote:
I have several 35mm film canisters lying around.

Does anyone use them for storage or when walking around? It seems they could do double duty are both storage and as a prop - a cup for example, though the younger set would probably have no idea what they are so they might look "gimmicky."

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
[/quote]

nagi cpa,
If you are so inclined you might want to check out Jeff Stone's "Gemstones" DVD.
He has an effect on the dvd that makes very nice use of a film canister (and film).

Check it out:
http://stonecoldmagic.com/gemstones-p-2.html#GemstonesPreview

Respectfully,
rochaz
Alka-seltzer rockets are fun but not quite what you mean.

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000068
Jeff Hobson used them in his long salt pour routine. This is written up in Linking Ring and mentioned elsewhere on the Café.

Danny Archer used them in a bank night or 7 keys of balduche (?) to hold the 7 possible keys to open a lock.

Lynn Fox
Fun with science… Mentoes and diet coke is a lot of fun too.
Interesting question! Film canisters do look like they would be very handy for something don’t they? I have a couple of grocery bags full of the old metal screw top film canisters I just never threw them away figuring I would think of some cool use for them someday.

So I’m all ears!
I used them to make rockets 45 years ago. Not a wise decision.
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas everyone!
There was an effect in a magazine where several loose trinkets and a piece of string was put in a canister, given a shake, or a magical pass is made, and when dumped out the trinkets were on the string in the form of a charm bracelet. This makes for a nice holiday gift to kids.
Beads work OK too.
I know someone has made chop cups out of them........just cant remember who.
Get the DVD 'Build Your Own Card Fountain for Under $2o' they use a film canister to hold the motor.
Nagi cpa,

Some resources you never throw away. These are among them!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Larry Becker has some uses for them in his "World of Super Mentalism".
I've used them to store stacks of coins for misers dream.

Also I've used three of them in a routine that involves a three objects involved in a murder mystery - each canister holding a different item which I can easily identify.

I've also used them to vanish small objects/torn up pieces of card etc... as they are very easy to switch.
[quote]
On 2009-11-30 08:27, rochaz wrote:
nagi cpa,
If you are so inclined you might want to check out Jeff Stone's "Gemstones" DVD.
He has an effect on the dvd that makes very nice use of a film canister (and film).

Check it out:
http://stonecoldmagic.com/gemstones-p-2.html#GemstonesPreview

Respectfully,
rochaz
[/quote]

Rochaz -

Thanks for the plug man. And now for the shameless plug . . . In Stone Cold Magic Magazine (my free e-zine), one of the free monthly tricks uses a film canister, and also my effect "Dream Vacation" on Jay Sankey's Underground Jam uses film canisters.

The link to the free magazine is in my signature, and Dream Vacation can be found as an instant download on my site ([url=http://stonecoldmagic.com/dream-vacation-p-20.html]Stone Cold Magic[/url]).
Lately I have been using them to hold my doves grit. I think they will do the job while on the road with the doves.
Message: Posted by: J.G. the magnificent (Jan 16, 2010 02:55PM)
Ya they may be used for the previous some of which I have done. Such as coin holders, pulls which is even described in one of the first magic books I read although ping pong balls with holes may be used too. Although for one I leaned Adam Graces frozen on youtube. You can save money on effects learning them on youtube. Not supporting the magician. Although their are so many things to buy if you supported everyone you would go broke.

Anyway according to the video you need a small container in your pocket. With exposure of secrets being prohibeted I can say no more but. A film canister is smaller than a lot of tupperware from the dollar store like he uses. Their for less bulky and noticable.

However I also use them to store dice. I don't but should because it just occoured to me they could be used for thread and needle along with waxes. Mybe even PK magnets and balls or peas. How about that magic dust or voodo ash. Some other thoughts are boon writers, finger rings, fanning powder, and other small things. Heck you could even make a utility belt fool of them.
Possibly coin holder. I use small storage cases like that for my coin tricks and miser's dream coins.
Back in the olden days they were made of aluminum. The perfect size for a modified Party Popper (extra confetti, a pinch each of flash cotton and sparkle powder, Replace the cover with flash paper).
Lengthen the string as needed. Put the string through a hole in the bottom and mount the can wherever.
My clown character had a shredded umbrella that produced an instant snowstorm.
I know someone who stores film in his.. :) ...
I use one in my closeup case to hold a TT.
I use one to hold groups of small coins.
The film canister is one of the magician's items of necessity, similar to a wire coat hanger.

The oval ones are best used to hold TTs. I have one screwed to the bottom of my table to steal the preloaded TT when needed.
The circular canisters are great holders for the 1.25" balls for the C&B. I have an extra plain and an extra chopped ball mounted under my table. Simply drill out the bottom of the canister, then carefully cut a channel down it's length to connect the hole to the top rim. This enables the canister to adjust to a small range of diameters and allows you to put a finger into the bottom and slide toward yourself to acquire the ball. The channel will also allow you to use a screw gun to mount it.

The caps can be used as hold outs for small items.
The canisters are great silk pulls. Drill a hole in the cap and use it as a retainer for a silk pull. It can be unloaded with one hand.

There are about a million and one uses for the entire canister. There are also many uses just for the cap. My mentor and I once came up with a list of uses for the film canister in one brainstorming session. Just apply a bit of imagination!
In a silk routine I use a number of Palmo balls. In a 1 foot cube, I needed to steal one from the front of the box by draping a silk over the front edge and removing it later in the routine. I found a film canister fits the Palmo balls I had just right. I used some velcro and mounted them inside the box at the top edge.
[quote]On Feb 20, 2010, joseph wrote:
I know someone who stores film in his.. :) ... [/quote]
What is film?
I have diabetes and check my blood glucose at least 4x daily. The containers that the strips come in are perfect size for quarters, nickels, dimes, & pennies.
I use one to keep a stack of .50 cent pieces ready for Misers Dream. They wouldn't fit normally, but I cut out about a quarter inch wide notch vertically from top to bottom. The cap won't fit but I don't need it, I just store it in the bucket with other stuff till I get to the show and set up. You can easily scoop out the coins and maintain a stack.