(Close Window)
Topic: Magician Teams - Wife/Husband, significant other
How many husband/wife magic families do we have here on The Magic Café. My wife Lucy has her own act.

Others?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Nope, not yet. Mike and I both play bagpipes and do that together, but he's been happy to be the audience so far. I had to giggle a little; he looked a bit askance when I picked up my magic gear again. He's also been having some minor finger stiffness of late and I showed him a bunch of Greg Irwin's exercises I have on a magic DVD. His fingers are feeling looser and he's looking upon the magic arts with a kinder eye. :D Maybe someday....
Tom Allen and Mary Mowder.

Tom was and is my mentor. We worked together much more in the past. I've been a Pro. for almost 30 years so now I have my own interests in Magic and so does he.

Tom has lectured and performed at the Magic Castle and he started in Magic at 4 yrs. old. I started at 25 or so, so even though I've been in it a while I'll always be the Jr. partner (which is more comforting as I get older).

I although I consider Close-Up Magic my forte I perform a lot more Stand-Up Parlor Magic including Birthday Party Magic, which I enjoy and he won't touch. My favorite time working together is when we Table Hop at a large banquet. I still like to do Stand-Up with him but it doesn't come up much.

Tom's heart is in the Close-Up.

-Mary Mowder
I know there are many more than this. It is hardly a rare partnership.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Dear Bob Sanders,

I'm surprised by the lack of response too.

Perhaps posting here has missed half of the potential responders.

I know men do come here but I'm not sure how many and many of those are single.

Thanks for trying Bob.

-Mary Mowder (I hope I haven't posted twice. I lost the first one.)
Message: Posted by: Alexanderia_the_Great (Dec 18, 2009 12:02PM)
My husband and I are a team. He is my manager mentor and promoter. I even had him be my MC at my first escape show. We are high school sweethearts that got a chance to share a hobby and are now trying to get this to the next level. Hard but fun work. I am very very lucky as I married my best friend and now I get to work with him in our shows. Though he is not performing himself I know he is in back of me all the way. Being a women in escapes can be a bit lonely in that there are not many of us. Though I must say the escape community has been so welcoming and this board has been great to me a new comer too.

If you are not lucky enough to work with your better half try and do so as it can be great fun ( at least it is now). The good thing for me is that if I want to get rid of him I will simply suggest he do one of my escapes. Honey can you give this a try (lol)
My wife or should I say I happen to also perform. Kristen Johnson in her own right has accomplished quite a bit in a short period of time. Being on the June 2009 cover of Linking Ring was great to see.

There is no better feeling than watching her perform...and working with your best friend, makes it that much better. She is truly the hardest working person I know. In 2008 alone she did her water torture cell 298 times. Currently she is up to 762 times and counting.

Kevin
Kevin and Kirsten are both top flight performers. I have had the pleasure of working with them both. And they leave the stage dry after the cell.

Richard
Richard...thank you for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with you and we look forward to doing so again. The stage & show was extremely well run.
Kevin & Kristen
Sorry I missed this!
Sylver and I are definitely a partner act, each assisting the other in their own specialty acts. Our main shows (The Knotty Bits Sideshow and our escape shows) are pretty much a 50/50 split between us. We each have our own solo acts as well, but most all that we do is together. For us, it is a safety thing as much as it is a mutual love for the art. We do a lot of legitimately dangerous acts, and neither of us would trust our safety to anyone else. Even when we are booked as solo acts, if there is something dangerous involved, the other is there.
As a bonus to performing together, we both agree that our real quality time is spent traveling to gigs. This is when we have the best time to talk. Wouldn't trade it for anything.
Gwyd
My wife Kelly and I are a magical team. She is not my assistant and is not a box jumper. Kelly is my magical partner on and off stage. Everything we do is done as a team and every routine utilizes both of us and both have input on creative thinking for them. I simply could not do my show or magic without her.

Kyle
My wife and daughter do not perform magic with me on a regular basis, but they help out at certain shows. They have both been my stage assistants at times, and worked backstage at times. Many times they have also been there helping me set up/tear down, etc.

Now we are a musical family too, and they enjoy performing musically more than magically. We perform together at music gigs a lot of the time. I still have to go solo sometimes, and sometimes we are a duet (me and either one of them, ands sometimes we are a trio.

I feel really blessed to have a talented family that is able to perform together.

Regan
Regan,

That certainly counts! They do not have to be on stage to be part of the show.

Your family is a great example of a family in show business together in music and magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Have any of you other magicians ever listened to Regan's CDs?
My wife and I have a magical duo and now our son is in our show. A family show is a great way to travel and perform. We have so much fun and our audiences do too.
I see Gwyd already responded but I'd like to add my own tid bits.
The two of us were performers before dating but were performing different sorts of skills and shows. It wasn't short after we were dating that we began our training and building of what we currently perform as the Knotty Bits Sideshow. Because our current show and repertoire was built together, our relationship only strengthens our profession. And Like Gwyd said, our best quality time is during our traveling.
Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster are married ;)

I have my site http://www.TimEllisMagic.com
she has hers http://www.SueAnneWebster.com AND http://www.AustralianMagician.cm/webster
and we have one together http://www.AustralianMagician.com/ellisandwebster
There are many married couples in magic that Lucy and I have known for many years.

Marriage is hardly the end of magic!

Bob and Lucy Sanders
Magic by Sander
My wife and I are developing a stage act together, but for now we work together regularly doing family events/birthday parties. The idea was to offer the add-on service of face painting, however, her face painting business has grown over the years to the point where she gets booked on her own quite often.

It's nice to work together, and especially nice to go out afterward to eat and have a drink with the money we just earned.
I realize the question asked was for Husband and wife teams, And NO my wife does not perform with me However My Daughter does so I am going to add my name to this list as Father and Daughter Team.
You have me and Debora, we perform together. You haven't had a chance to see our show, maybe in Sept. at your place.
Ray
Ray,

It will be a great chance for ladies and couples to see you perform at the Magic Valley Magic in September. http://MagicValleyMagic.com

And it's FREE! There will be lots of ladies of magic there as well as couples. RSVP seating is limited for the shows September 10-11, 2010.

They will be coming from Texas to Miami to Pennsylvania to the Midwest. You'll be very surprised who is going to be there. And it's a Magicians' Flea Market too!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Looking forward to it Bob.
Ray
I do not get to surf the Café very much, and I just ran across this thread and would like to add that I am one of the rare lady magicians performing with my son Mystical Matthew. Since my husband Bob is our Roadie for our Mother & Son team I guess you could say we are actually a family act......Bob Sanders, you already knew that huh? :)
[quote]
Marriage is hardly the end of magic!
[/quote]
Ah Bob, a sentiment so true in [b]many[/b] different respects!
I'm not sure if he is her Significant Other, but Sam Beedle & Vega are a very entertaining Duo:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sam+Beedle+%26+Vega&aq=f

You'll find eight videos here that showcase their fine act.

Doug
[quote]
On 2010-07-09 01:34, TheGreatNancini wrote:
...I am one of the rare lady magicians performing with my son Mystical Matthew. Since my husband Bob is our Roadie for our Mother & Son team I guess you could say we are actually a family act...
[/quote]

That is really inspiring, Nancini! The Great Nancini & Mystical Matthew! Wow, what a great sounding handle! It arouses curiosity, and I would bet, by just looking at your avatar, it is a very colorful and entertaining act!

Since you rarely visit the Café, I understand if you don't reply. This is an example of the great variety of female magicians that DO exist! And a Mother/Son act? Priceless!

Doug
[quote]
On 2010-08-06 16:27, Dougini wrote:
I'm not sure if he is her Significant Other, but Sam Beedle & Vega are a very entertaining Duo:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Sam+Beedle+%26+Vega&aq=f

You'll find eight videos here that showcase their fine act.

Doug

[/quote]

Sam and Vega are indeed a couple :)
Ehhhhhhh... Don't know how to put this... We broke up a month ago. Still Best friends and working partners though, just realised we hadn't really been a couple for months... Both much happier now, having more laughs than ever, and getting much more work done!

xx VB
Hi, Miss Vega! I'm sorry for the breakup. I am so happy you are friends, and are still working together! Your happiness is the most important. Are you doing a solo act, now? Did you see my post about recommending The Zombie? And do keep the Color Changing silk in your act...you have a great style.

I could go on, and on...I'll just leave it there!

XXX OOO
Doug
OMG sorry about that Vega, you never told me that you'd broken up :(
[quote]
On 2010-08-11 16:40, Dougini wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-07-09 01:34, TheGreatNancini wrote:
...I am one of the rare lady magicians performing with my son Mystical Matthew. Since my husband Bob is our Roadie for our Mother & Son team I guess you could say we are actually a family act...
[/quote]

That is really inspiring, Nancini! The Great Nancini & Mystical Matthew! Wow, what a great sounding handle! It arouses curiosity, and I would bet, by just looking at your avatar, it is a very colorful and entertaining act!

Since you rarely visit the Café, I understand if you don't reply. This is an example of the great variety of female magicians that DO exist! And a Mother/Son act? Priceless!

Doug
[/quote]

Doug,

Like I said, I am not on here very much, but thank you so much for your compliments! You are correct that our show is very colorful. Matthew very tightly scripts our acts which highlights the fact that we are indeed a mother and son and this brings out the best in our high brow humor and comedy routines. Please check us out at http://www.shizzledizzlemagic.com Matthew will be uploading a brand new video trailer in the next couple of days!
Wow! I am impressed! What a unique and fun-filled magic show! You have inspired me! And believe me, I NEED inspiring! LOL!

What a team!

Doug
Must be a lot of fun doing these things as a family!

Closest I get is working our birds into the act. :)
Doug- Thank you for your kind words. I am glad to hear that we have been an inspiration to you. We have a passion for the art of magic and performance and a deep love of entertaining and making people smile! We do have many bumps and struggles along the way as everyone does, but in the end we are truly blessed!

Cyberqat- It is a lot of fun doing our magic as a family, but it is also a challenge at times when we are in the development stage of a new act. Totally worth it though! :)
As promised the new video trailer is up! I just finished editing it this afternoon. Mom wanted me to add it to the thread since she's busy preparing stuff for our gigs later this week!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzxHCajZns
Hey Nancy and Matt,

That's a great trailer, and you both look fantastic!

Hopefully our paths will cross again, sooner rather than later.

Would love to see your current show!

Bill
Hi Bill,

Didn't know you were on the Café! Thanks for the compliment on the trailer! We love to entertain and make people smile! Let us know when you are in the area and we will try to connect!

~Nanci
Nanci,

Please tell me the significant others are Matt and Bob and not the goose. LOL!

You folks come see us sometime.

Bob and Lucy

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
No... No... She means the Goose.

Dad refers to himself as the insignificant other.

If mom had to drop a performer from the show and needed to choose between me or the goose, she'd choose to keep the goose any day!
Although the goose brings many laughs, she does not write cool scripts so Matthew must stay. Bob is really good at lifting equipment and the goose just doesn't have the upper body strength to compete with him so he must stay also. LOL!
Whew! I feel better already!

Bob Sanders
Magic by Sander