(Close Window)
Topic: Days of infamy
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Dec 7, 2009 11:47AM)
Not wanting to post this in the other Day of Infamy thread, this week marks three tragic events in Canadian history as well.

From [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion]Wikipedia[/url]: "The Halifax Explosion occurred on Thursday, December 6, 1917, when the city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, was devastated by the huge detonation of the SS Mont-Blanc, a French cargo ship, fully loaded with wartime explosives, which accidentally collided with the Norwegian SS Imo in "The Narrows" section of the Halifax Harbour. About 2,000 people were killed by debris, fires, or collapsed buildings and it is estimated that over 9,000 people were injured.[1] This is still the world's largest man-made accidental explosion.[2]"

From [url=http://archives.cbc.ca/society/crime_justice/topics/398/]CBC[/url] "For 45 minutes on Dec. 6, 1989 an enraged gunman roamed the corridors of Montreal's École Polytechnique and killed 14 women. Marc Lepine, 25, separated the men from the women and before opening fire on the classroom of female engineering students he screamed, "I hate feminists." Almost immediately, the Montreal Massacre became a galvanizing moment in which mourning turned into outrage about all violence against women."

And from [url=http://wwii.ca/page42.html]Canada at War[/url] "On 8 December 1941, a day after the its Air Force had devastated the U.S. Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbour, the Japanese Empire launched an attack on the Britsh Crown Colony of Hong Kong. In the ensuing battle, the Royal Rifles of Canada and the Winnipeg Grenadiers – the first Canadian ground units to see action in the Second World War—fought valiantly to defend the colony. Initially, the Grenadiers were dispatched to the Gin Drinkers’ Line, a chain of defenses in the New Territories on the Chinese Mainland, to hold back the onslaught. But heavy air raids and artillery attacks forced the Commonwealth troops to withdraw from the New Territories to their garrison on the island of Hong Kong. After several days of heavy bombardment, the Japanese stormed the island’s northern beaches on the night of 18 December."

Message: Posted by: Mr. Mystoffelees (Dec 7, 2009 03:31PM)

Very interesting, thanks for sharing...