(Close Window)
Topic: Wolf's Groove Tube
Just curious if anyone has had the "chance" to use this in a show and if so what the reactions are to it.
Why don't you contact Chance and ask them about the wolf groove tube? They have a phone number and email address on their site.
I think he's asking for feedback from customers who've bought this product, not the availability from the manufacturer.

I bought the Pea Shoot and LOVE it. I'd already been doing a version of the comedy card in balloon and so I started using it immediately!! The prop is very well made (as if their are any doudts about that) and plays really well with the K-6 grades I used it with.

The grove tube sounds interesting as well. I look forward to hearing peoples reaction as well.

John
I also love the Pea Shoot. I had and sold the Groove Tube. It is also extremely well constructed and has that playful Wolf Magic design. I was initially thinking I might routine it with The Thing, but I decided that was a bit of a stretch, and frankly I did not promptly think of a great use for it in my act. It is up to Wolf's usual construction standards and also quite colorful and I'm sure it plays well.

I am wondering what Wolf has in store with the other three "Econo Magic" releases he mentioned on his manufacturing schedule . . . It's good to see him releasing these for those of us on a budget. Chance and Shelley always deliver good value, but it's a pleasure to see that this can also be done at a moderate price. The Pea Shoot packs small, plays big, and doesn't break the budget . . .
[quote]
On 2010-01-09 11:04, wmhegbli wrote:
Why don't you contact Chance and ask them about the wolf groove tube? They have a phone number and email address on their site.
[/quote]

That's Bill trying to be funny..or sarcastic. He asked if anyone knew about a Gravity Locking system on a special set of linking rings made by Magic Makers and I suggested he contact them. It was only a suggestion but he obviously took it the wrong way for some reason that only he knows. Anyway back to the topic. Glad you guys like the Pea Shoot, but I'm really looking for reviews on The Groove Tube by someone who's actually used it in a show....or two.
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jan 10, 2010 12:29PM)
Harv,

I would suspect that the early responses what be favourable if folks have put in the necessary time in developing a strong presentation that they have fully rehearsed. Chance provides the magic community with the best props anywhere and after that it's up to each of us to maximize their potential. I think we do our magic a great disservice if we don't put in the time which is probably 3 or 4 times what we should. We need to stop bringing half rehearsed routines to our shows. Chance's magic deserves nothing less.

Jeff
Hi All,

I have the Groove Tube & it has now become a staple 5 or 6 minute routine in my kids act!!!

Without giving too much away I bring out the tube & ask the kids if they know what it is & what it's for. After tons of very funny answers I explain "This is a shipping tube for my brand new clown nose, that's right a brand new nose & I picked it myself!!!"

I then tip out the yellow nose & look confused. I ask the kids if they know what the problem is with the nose at which point they explain it is yellow & not red, I then notice the single cork.

"OH NO! It appears that one of the corks in the shipping tube is missing, you know what that means? The actual red clown nose must have fallen out during shipping, all I have now is this yellow practice nose. Everyone knows that clowns practice all of their routines with a yellow practice nose......right?"

After this introduction I explain that the kids are going to help me turn the yellow nose red by using a magic wand. I have switched out the green rod that comes with the routine (although I do love it) with a plastic magic wand that fits through the holes perfectly.

My routine now carries on from there with many moves & ideas that I have added myself (I don't want to give too much away ;o)

By the way, after a couple of times of the ball flying in the air (which is hilarious by the way) I have the ball hit me in the face a couple of times as I peer into the tube, the kids think this is hilarious.

For those of you that know me you will know that I am very selective about the routines I put in my act. I have all 3 of the new Wolf's Magic products & the Groove Tube is the first one to go in my act.

I will admit that it took some thinking at first but I now have a nugget of gold that truly reflects what my philosophy of children's entertaining is all about.

Hilarious!!!!!!

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
Thanks Matt!!!
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jan 10, 2010 09:44PM)
I spoke to Matt on the phone the other day and he asked me why I only bought one of the three new Wolfs items. Enough said when I guy like Matt sees the usability of a prop.

jeff
Nice idea :) I worked now more then 5 years with the clowns theme for my joker tube. it is hilarious so I have e clear picture how it will go with the groove tube. For me this was the reason for not to buy because I used the joker tube.
Matt...... nice routine, and quick too.... I've barely fooled around with it and yours has become a staple of your show.... bravo!
I got my Groove Tube at last today. as usual, it's a beautiful piece of kit, made to last. A great opening gag for a show, with lots of "look-don't-see". Though most of the routine is fairly simple, I am having a problem with the very first "move".....it's a bit fiddly, I anticipate using a small blob of blu-tac to hold a certain something in place until the tube is in action.
I'll try this out in ten days or so, once I've had a chance to perfect the handling.
It all packs nicely into a velveteen bag, a nice change to have such a small item from Wolf's Magic.
Potty :)
OK, so now I played around a little more, I found I needed to attach a m****t to the rear of the tube, similar to the one built in, but in a higher position. Now, the tube works perfectly, and the handling is a piece of cake!
I'm not sure if my unit is missing one of these, or if Chance didn't think it was neccessary. But it tidies things up, and makes the whole routine a breeze for me at least.
this one will be good for a Christmas presentation about Rudolph...of course, the final red ball is his nose. Perhaps he's eaten too much custard, and his nose turned yellow!
Doug.
[quote]
On 2010-01-14 11:36, Potty the Pirate wrote:
...I am having a problem with the very first "move".....it's a bit fiddly...
[/quote]

I found the same thing, that's the reason it hasn't made my show yet. I'll give your 'm****t' idea a go.

Cheers
Billy
Turning the tube upside down at the end, it can effectively become a cup for your favourite cups and balls finale......
The balls are identical to the ones in the ABC Combobulator....it would make sense to use one of the balls from the ABC for the Groove Tube...but unfortunately, ABC is more of a closing effect, and Groove Tube better for near the start of a show. So....how about sticking little eyes on all the balls, and making them "magic helpers" of some kind. Perhaps they impart special powers when you rub them on a kid's head? You introduce them early on with the Groove Tube, and later you produce loads of them in the ABC just before the end of the show.
From experience with other effects, I know the pop up and peek will get great reactions.

I found I had the same fumbling with first move of the yellow ball coming out the bottom. I'll try a magnet, great idea.
I'm wondering about the yellow to red switch. In practice, it looks like I am switching it, and if a kid saw me, I'm sure they will shout out I switched it.

I know I need more practice, but in the meantime, any helpful hints on the switch from yellow to red?

I don't want to put it in the show until I have it perfected.

(Now I will put the Pea Shoot right in the show after one night of practice, because I already performed comedy card in balloon, and can work this right in. )

Thanks in advance!

ACE
Hi Ace,

I have been playing with my Groove tube for a few days now.

Instead of switching the balls at the top of the tube as per the instructions I have been doing it the following way....

I remove and the dump the cork, palming the red ball as I do so. I then load the red ball ala cups and balls into the bottom of the groove tube keeping it in hidden via my pinky. I then remove the wand / green stick so the green ball can fall through the bottom but instead of the green ball appearing out falls the red one (my set has green balls with a red ball kicker)

It seems to flowing better for me this way

Potty's comment about the cups and balls are what got me thinking about the load.

All the best

Cliff
Another angle would be to worry less about how magical it is, and just play it for laughs. Let the red ball fly out after you remove the yellow one...or something similar.
Still haven't used mine yet, as I feel there is something special I haven't thought of yet!
Is the groove tube made by chance or where do you get that?
[quote]
On 2010-02-02 17:59, DominotheGreat wrote:
Is the groove tube made by chance or where do you get that?
[/quote]

http://www.wolfsmagic.com/Groove%20Tube.htm

It's sold out at the moment although there have been a couple for sale on the Café.
WOW! I put the Groove Tube into both shows today...what a reaction!! The kids were aged 4 and 5, and they went CRAZY for this. I kept the routine pretty much as per the instructions, except I used the cups and balls load for the final reveal.
This played BETTER than Silver Sceptre, which surprised me. Of course, the ball does all sorts of clever things: it peeks over the tube, it peeks under the tube, it flies out the top, and it penetrates the rod. It can whack you on the head or in the eye, can change colour, and even multiply. Simply loads of bits of business, which keep coming thick and fast, as the routine is so short and simple.
Now I need an ungimmicked tube, and another prop to create a first-class opening routine. I want to finish with a production of several different coloured balls, and then be able to look straight through the tube at the kids (like a telescope).
Another winner from Wolf's Magic, simply brilliant!
Potty ;)
I am a long time viewer, but first time post.. I purchased the groove tube in december and used it for the first time last weekend for a birthday show for 6yr olds.. I received the strongest reaction from this trick.. The kids loved it!!!!!
I used the script supplies with some minor changes and it was a hit!!!! you can't go wrong with this trick!!!!!
Any videos?
[quote]
On 2010-01-26 10:59, Cliff G wrote:
Hi Ace,

Instead of switching the balls at the top of the tube as per the instructions I have been doing it the following way....

I remove and the dump the cork, palming the red ball as I do so. I then load the red ball ala cups and balls into the bottom of the groove tube keeping it in hidden via my pinky. I then remove the wand / green stick so the green ball can fall through the bottom but instead of the green ball appearing out falls the red one (my set has green balls with a red ball kicker)

Potty's comment about the cups and balls are what got me thinking about the load.

All the best

Cliff
[/quote]

I do the same thing.......... great minds .....
[quote]
On 2010-01-26 10:59, Cliff G wrote:
Hi Ace,

All the best

Cliff
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!
This has been on the back burner for a while, as I had other projects in the work(including a SNEEKER TWEEKER),
but I am getting ready to work on it again.

Joe
My tube arrived today..
my ending is as follows ..
remove cork from the top and place to one side.
palm ball and place this hand at the bottom of the tube secretly loading it .
remove the rod. allowing the ball to fall to the bottom of the tube..;)
lift tube and produce different colour ball..

hope this helps some people just an idea./
[quote]
On 2010-03-17 06:50, djmagic4 wrote:
My tube arrived today..
my ending is as follows ..
remove cork from the top and place to one side.
palm ball and place this hand at the bottom of the tube secretly loading it .
remove the rod. allowing the ball to fall to the bottom of the tube..;)
lift tube and produce different colour ball..
[/quote]
You may like to add the top ball flying out of the tube one more time, for absolute misdirection while you load the ball.
;)
Just received one, and this thread is very helpful.
Just tried mine....the only prob I have is that this is a bit tricky for magicians with large fingers. I had to do a little homemade 'expansion' work, but when I tried it in performance, GALES of laughter!! In one show a 3-year old made the catch, and scolded the ball before returning it. BTW, if any tube owners out there are not liking the little sound-effect when the ball leaps, I use the ol' horn-under-the-arm trick to cover it up, and its waaaay funnier!
Thanks for the idea on the horn under the arm! I had an issue with the noise too.

The kids LOVE it! I worked it over and over and over and over with the one peeking out the bottom. Like the measel-teasel wand, I don't know how long the kids would keep laughing but I have no doubt it would be a LONG time!

It's a GREAT prop!

carl
Anybody know where to order extra balls for the Groove Tube? I have an idea for a skit with my puppet, but I would need some duplicate balls to make it work.
Try Chance Wolf, the GT I bought second hand needed a new red ball and they got it from him.
Thanks. I sent him one email a few days ago but haven't heard back. I'll try again.
Hi Curt,
Sorry, I am behind on my emails. I LOVED your idea and will email you the order info etc.
Thanks
Chance
Chance -- thanks for your help with that! I'm really excited about putting the Groove Tube and the Pea Shoot in this summer's library reading program!
SO I am a little confused. In teh instructions it somewhat portrayed that the spectator acyually holds onto the groove tube, but in actuallity its the magician that is holding onto the tube. I received my groove tube yesterday and was surprised, because again it seems as though the spectator is holding onto the tube.

So I am assumming that the magician holds onto the tube because they need to release the ball.

Thoughts??
The instructions don't even hint that the child can hold the tube. They can hold the ball and place it in the tube, but the magician holds the tube at all times.
Interesting. Here is a little portion of the instructions.

"The magician asks the child to place Binky into the top of the tube while he looks his magic wand" it goes on to say " while the magician rummages around his prop case or his pockets the child places the ball in the tube, and unbeknowst to the magic, the ball shoots out".

So how can the magi allow the child to place the ball while he is rummaging???? impossible and misleading instructions. This was also printed on the advertising, which made me beleive this could happen. To me that sounds like the magician can hand over the tube while he looks for his wand. I understand that it cant happen that way as I own this and have the instructions and its physocally impossible. So in all, the magician removes the groove tube from site while looking for a magic wand?

I like the trick, but slightly disappointed in the fact that the child cannot hold onto the tube :(
Have the child place the ball in the tube (that you are holding) then tell the kids you need to find a special magic wand for the trick to work. As you're looking for the wand (and the tube is in plain sight for all to see throughout the whole routine) the ball jumps out of tube, but you don't notice because you're not looking at the tube. When you try this routine, you'll see that it's not necessary for the kid to hold the tube and the fact that it can't be held by the volunteer doesn't make a difference...it's a fun routine.
I agree, seems like fun and I cant wait to work with it.
I just love mine. I have not had a chance to try this for the kids yet, but when I do it should be a hit. What do you guys do to cover up that little thing that happens when the ball comes flying out? I don't know if I can say anything about it on here. Thanks.
Been waiting for a performance vid. Anyone like to share theirs? My searches have not proved fruitful. Anyone?
That "little something" has not been a problem for me. They don't seem to even be aware of it.

The hole was a problem but my dremel tool fixed that!

I DO wish the ball would fly higher!!

I thought the kid held the tube also from the ad. No big deal that they can't.

Carl
Magical dudes and dudettes,

I wanted an item from Wolf's magic and I couldn't afford the high-end items, so I went with the Groove Tube. I've used it enough in the real world to offer some advice/suggestions to help those of you who also purchased the item (or want to) but haven't used it enough to feel comfortable with it. Some introductory thoughts first and then my routine.

I, too, had trouble getting Chance to respond to e-mails in a timely fashion but he is very willing to talk at length about his items by phone. I know he'll say he was too busy to email, so I'm hesitant even to mention it.

I thought the groove tube was priced too high for the way it is constructed (you can see rivets on the outside of the tube), especially in regard to the audible noise the occurs when the ball is ejected from the tube. I guess I was hoping for something a lot more clever or at least sneaky. In all fairness, the kids in the audience haven't complained so maybe it's not a big deal. Another performer suggested putting a bike horn under the armpit and making a noise with that as the ball is ejected into the air (could also use a mouth squeaker, blowing at the right time I suspect). For me, I'm just going to do it per directions and ignore the noise until members of the audience start throwing decomposed vegetables at me, or I spot the hook coming from stage left.

The plastic rod (mine's green) that must be inserted into the holes in the tube to make the trick logical is a really loose fit, meaning that if you're not careful, it's going to slide out of the tube and hit the floor when you least expect it (unless you have reflexes like a snake and can catch it as it quickly descends). Be careful to hold it snugly throughout the routine or suffer the consequences, which would not be a good thing for the routine.

I found the color change of the ball to be silly. Whatever move was used (either taking it from the top as per instructions or loading it underneath as in the cups and balls move) just reeked of duplicity, so I simply discarded it. It didn't hurt the routine at all to just leave the ball at home. Just play the whole thing for laughs until the end and tell the audience that you can't do any magic because you can't find your wand and let it go at that, moving to your next trick. It's hard for anyone to do the necessary palm with the ball of that size unless you have a hand the size of a five-pound ham. Again, heed my good advice and don't change binky into boinky or you will sight the hook coming from stage left.

Do not use your forefinger to make the ball eject from the tube, use your thumb. The human thumb is stronger thanks to millions of years of human evolution, and it is positioned in such a way that it is possible using that digit (i.e., the thumb) to make the ball flick higher into the air than if the finger is used (trust me on this one as I spent countless hours experimenting with ways to do it best). Give an imperceptible jerk of the arm as you flick the thumb and the ball flies really high into the air.

My Routine: (I'm going to be as terse as possible, which means that some of the niceties and subtleties, some suggested in the directions by Chance and some I invented to streamline the effect, will be lost. Read between the lines and use the routine if you like with my blessings.

My tube has a green ball as the basic color so that's what I'll use to describe things (remember, leave the red ball at home as you're not going to use it). You have the tube with all that it contains in your trunk, along with the green rod and the green ball alongside the tube.

1. Grab the tube from your trunk with your left hand (if you're right handed), covering the hole in the back with the heel of your left thumb and the length of the thumb. This will hide the hole in the tube and the apparatus for lowering the ball into view. In this way, you can actually show the tube all the way around without arousing suspicion. Go to your trunk for the green ball and show it. Now you're going to do a move that will show the audience that all you have is any empty tube. Hold the tube horizontally with the top away from you and the bottom up against your left hip (making sure no audience member can see in the tube's top). Pretend to place the green ball in the top (actually palming it in the right hand). Tilt the tube down as you move your right (with the palmed ball) down the length of the tube and deftly palm it into the bottom of the tube, letting it fall out (or seeming to) at the right moment. To the audience you've just dropped a ball through an empty tube and retrieved it with your right hand (I do it twice).

2. Then follow Chance's directions that came with the tube. Put the green rod into the the tube (as per instructions), holding the green rod for the duration of the trick by encircling one side with the forefinger, which holds the rod securely enough that it will not fall from the tube. Take this opportunity to insert your thumb into the tube as per instructions. Place the ball (or have a child do it but don't let him/her too near you or he/she will look into the bottom of the tube and that would be no good; again, trust me).

3. "I must find my wand or no magic." As you look for your wand you cause the ball to fly out of tube. I do the fly out twice and then on the third I look in the tube and have the ball eject, hitting me in the nose (it's a hoot).

4. Get the cork and loosely put it on top. Go for the wand again. Depress the ejector and release, which will cause the cork to fly up in the air about 5 inches. Let the cork hit the ground. As you bend over to retrieve the cork, eject the ball into the air again, which will fly up behind your head (because you're searching around on the floor for the cork). Get the ball, put it back in the tube, and then cover it with the cork again. Here, you don't have to eject the cork with the tube's apparatus. You can just use your thumb to move quickly upward, which is sufficient to make the cork fall on the floor (silently) though it won't go as high as if you use the tube's apparatus. Don't overdo this cork- from-the-tube move, but milk it for all the comedy that it can produce, which is a lot.

5. Then do the peek move out the bottom a few times. If you like, after doing it a few times, you can show the audience that the ball can't be peeking out the bottom because it's still on top of the green rod in the top of the tube, showing the ball is still on top. Then do the cork and ball flying out of the top one more time. Again, sense of timing will keep your routine from running away from you. I don't understand the comments of some others at the Café that a something needs to be added that will stick to metal and is one of the basic forces of nature. I have no trouble working the peek exactly as the instructions suggest.

6. Conclude the trick by saying, "Well, kiddos, I can't do any magic because I couldn't find the magic wand." (Again, do not do the color change because it hurts the routine in my opinion.)

That's it. It's not the kind of trick that's going to replace some of the more basic routines, but it does work up a crowd of youngsters better than anything else I do. It is fun to perform, and you get better ejecting the ball and feigning expressions of surprise and exasperation the more times you do it in the real world (plus, your thumb will get stronger and better conditioned for the basic move). Do note that the first thing that happens when the ball ejects is that kids jump out of their seats and scurry toward you to return the ball, possibly spying the ball in the bottom of the tube (so be careful and practice enough so you don't ruin the trick for me when I perform it in front of the same audiences that you have).

Magical things to you and yours,
Zipper
Thanks for shearing your ideas.
Magic-Markus,

Happy to help.

Best,
One point I'd add, is to keep the unit fairly close to your body to avoid sight-angle issues. If you hold the tube away from your body, the kids will see your finger (or thumb) going into the tube.
The "cups and balls" load is easy - have your free hand in your pocket, and p**m the ball there, just before the ball in the tube shoots in the air. As this happens, the misdirection is 100%. You can slip the p****d ball into the bottom of the tube now, with no problem.
The only issue I ever have is kids sitting at my feet seeing the bottom ball, but a slight tilt forward cures that.
I must add my two cent's worth. It has been my experience that palming the ball and smuggling it into the tube, regardless of the level of misdirection, is difficult; more importantly, it is anti-climactic, doing little to nothing to strengthen the audience's enjoyment of the routine. I still advise that you leave the off ball at home and play the routine strictly as I described no matter how well you are able to palm (of course, if one wants to smuggle the ball in, that is up to each individual performer).

Best,
Zipper
[quote]
On 2010-11-17 14:51, zipper wrote:
I must add my two cent's worth. It has been my experience that palming the ball and smuggling it into the tube, regardless of the level of misdirection, is difficult; more importantly, it is anti-climactic, doing little to nothing to strengthen the audience's enjoyment of the routine. I still advise that you leave the off ball at home and play the routine strictly as I described no matter how well you are able to palm (of course, if one wants to smuggle the ball in, that is up to each individual performer).

Best,
Zipper
[/quote]
I disagree, Zipper. The misdirection is at least as strong as the cups & balls reveal - which provides enough misdirection to load a large piece of fruit into a cup (an item which CANNOT be effectively p****d unless you have hands the size of baseball gloves). And, this enables you to finish the routine with a color change which is, I'd argue, not anti-climactic.
Of course, it's up to each individual to come up with a presentation that suits them.
Potty,

I don't want to beat this to death (because from our respective posts, we each agree that routines are best left to the objectives and skills of each performer). However, I insist that loading a piece of fruit into an empty cup, which remains empty after the fruit is produced (usually done seated at a table or at least below audience's line of vision), is far different from the way the groove tube's original routine (i.e., by Chance Wolf)is to be performed. When a performer palms a ball in during the groove tube routine (skillfully or not, with great misdirection or not) and then he or she baldly asserts the green ball that has been peeking out from under the tube has turned red, everybody in the audience (except for the hopelessly naive or pathologically stupid) will demand a look in the tube (I've done this enough in the real world to know of what I speak, and--trust me on this--I do palm well enough that the problem is not with my palming technique) to see in the tube. Unlike with the cups and balls after a final load of fruit, a performer cannot allow the groove tube to be examined, making the color change of the ball, if not anticlimactic, then without value.

Happy trails,
Zipper
I love the groove tube and have been performing it as an opener for my birthday party shows for about 6 months. It is a great routine as the kids go nuts with the ball shooting out and peeking from the bottom, it really helps set the show up in the audience's mind as being both magical and funny.

I must disagree with zipper, I always finish the routine with the colour change using the cups and balls method. The misdirection of the yellow ball shooting into the audience is perfect and I have never been caught out with it. I think the colour change adds an unexpected magical ending to the routine. There are always audible oohs and aaahs when they see the colour change as no-one sees it coming. I then get the audience to give applause to the helper while I pack the tube away and no-one ever asks to see the tube. I think it is the perfect note to finish the routine on.

I also modified the tube with a ma___t to make the handling of the bottom peek easier. The only other thing I have done is swapped the green rod for a magic wand, as I think it looks better.
There is a solution, if you want the tube to be examined (though I feel it's unneccessary - no one has yet asked me to see the tube). You can ask Chance to make you an ungimmicked tube, and s****h them out at an appropriate moment. YOu can do this with good routining - perhaps the ball falls behind your table, and as you bend down to pick it up, the tube momentarily disappears from view, and the deed is done.
This method would also allow several different coloured balls to appear as a climax.
Magic folks,

After reading the posts by Potty and Awesome One about how much they like the color change, I returned to the scene of the crime and worked with groove tube again. I still don't like the color change because in my experience nobody in my audiences have been impressed with it; certainly, nobody has been fooled. Nonetheless, I do want to share the details of what my back-to-the-trick research produced. You've just done the peek out the bottom a few times and you're moving toward the color change and end of the routine. Remove the cork from the top, showing that the ball is still in the top part of the tube so it can't be peeking out. (Here's where I depart from the original instructions.) Take the cork and stick it in the bottom hole of the tube (you really don't need to offer any justification other than "Trick's over and time to put it away; sorry I couldn't find my wand." (The rod is still thru the tube.) Go to your whatever and get the bag that comes with the trick, palming the ball at the same time. Show the bag and place it under your arm. Move toward the top of the tube with the palmed ball and secretly place it into the top of the tube, while you turn your body to the right. Tip the tube enough that the changed ball (mine's red) can roll into your right hand to be shown to audience, making sure the green ball doesn't roll out, too. Angles are no problem because of the cork in the bottom. Set the tube aside and go on to your next trick (or put the tube in the bag, which is under your arm). You can hand the changed ball out for examination. I really don't like loading the ball under the tube in cups-and-balls fashion because it looks like a "move" with or without good misdirection (in a way that taking the ball from the top does not).

I will probably do the color change at my next show to see how the moves I just described go over, hoping that, like the awesome one and potty, I receive good results (oohs and aaahs would be nice).

Magical things,
Zipper
I did the groove tube in a show last night and did an ending that I liked. It went over well so, to keep this thread complete, I want to describe it for those of you who do the groove tube. As per my earlier comments on my routine in this thread, I get to the end of the routine having done the fly-out and peek out several times. After removing the cork from the top to show that the green ball is still on top (my set has two green and one red), I stick the cork in the bottom (not necessary but it does keep the peek-out ball from being seen as easily). I announce that since I can't find my wand, no magic will be possible. I go to my trunk, get the bag that comes with the set, palming the red ball. I put the bag under my arm and say something like, "Wait a minute. Look at the magic after all." I show the green ball has changed by removing the red ball from the top of the tube (waiting for oohs and aahs). Then I go to the big finish: I slide the entire tube off the green rod, retaining the rod in my left hand and putting the tube away in my trunk. I have the red bag under my left arm, the green rod in my left hand, and the red ball in the right. I say, "Wait a minute. I know why the magic occurred. This green rod has been the magic wand all along." At that point I pretend to place the red ball into my left hand (which also holds the green rod), retaining the ball in classic palm in the right (the rod is held in the closed left fist (which audience thinks also holds the red ball). I grab the bag from under my left arm, and ditch both bag and red ball in my trunk. I say a few magical words, extracting the rod from my closed left fist. I hit the left closed fist with the green rod and the red ball vanishes. I put the green rod in the trunk and I'm off to the next trick. This bit with the green rod as wand gives a nice ending to the groove tube and it gives the routine an additional punch that it did not have when the ball simply changed colors (boinky into binky or is it binky into boinky??).

Magical things,
Zipper
Nice ending Zipper! I just wanted to post how awesome this goes over with the kids. I finally used it for the first time in my show last night. The kids went WILD! Even the adults were laughing and oohing. Mathew- thanks for the bit about letting the ball hit you in the face- everyone one went nuts when I did that. Also, someone posted about the green ball changing to the red ball at the end- this too went over great. If you have this and havn't put it in your act- I highly recommend that you do.

RNK
I didn't previously read the last couple of posts from Zipper, but now that I have, I'm rather surprised that he's come up with a much more complicated way to finish the routine than the standard Cups and Balls load (he's gone for a classic palm move with all the heat on it instead). Fair play, if that works for him. But I still maintain that loading the different coloured ball into the bottom of the unit ( a la C&B) has 100% misdirection, and works exceptionally well. Groove Tube is Wolf's Magic's best "budget" item, though I'm not sure that they are available any longer.
Potty
[quote]
On 2011-11-11 14:20, Potty the Pirate wrote:
I didn't previously read the last couple of posts from Zipper, but now that I have, I'm rather surprised that he's come up with a much more complicated way to finish the routine than the standard Cups and Balls load (he's gone for a classic palm move with all the heat on it instead). Fair play, if that works for him. But I still maintain that loading the different coloured ball into the bottom of the unit ( a la C&B) has 100% misdirection, and works exceptionally well. Groove Tube is Wolf's Magic's best "budget" item, though I'm not sure that they are available any longer.
Potty
[/quote]

I agree Potty. The load is super simple when you go into your bag the last time to find the magic wand and you can't- you come out with the red ball p#$$%&med and load it as you say. No one ever sees it.

RNK
It really doesn't matter how you palm the final load....you have so much misdirection, no one will ever think to watch your hands. I still think an ungimmicked tube would be a great advantage. Simply switch out the tubes at some point during the routine, and you have your perfect finish. There would be a zillion ways to play the routine if an ungimmicked tube were supplied also.
But sadly, Wolf's Magic is no more, as far as I'm aware. So that's a very unlikely scenario. Those who are lucky enough to own some of Wolf's effects, have their hands on some priceless props - not to mention highly collectible.
Wolf's Magic has set the bar at a very high level...it will be interesting to see if there will be any others who can reach so high.
Of course, there are so many magic effects, but very few include such astonishingly beautiful and kid-friendly props as those made by Chance Wolf.
Clearly, the world of kids' magic remains a very small one. It's only relatively few who continue to prosper commercially from this small sector of the magic business....which, in it's way is surprising, as kids' magicians collectively command the vast majority of income for magic shows. A stab in the dark - I suspect that about 97% of the money spent on magic shows goes to kids' magicians....the other 3% is shared between the close-up magicians, and "adult" stage performers. Even including Las Vegas. A bit of the "Tortoise and the Hare" there.....
Potty ;)
My opinion is that this is due to the hard work, bad hours, and considerable financial comittment that kids' magicians put up with. Then again, if I think of what those who perform magic for adult audiences endure, I consider myself very lucky.
I have a question for you guys/girls.... I am doing a boys cub scouts show for 1st graders to 4th graders. I love the groove tube, gets GREAT reactions, but do you think the older kids would enjoy this too? I guess 9 to 10 year olds?

Thanks for help...
RNK

PS- my 1000th post.... not a better place to post it in!
[quote]
On 2010-08-24 20:23, stempleton wrote:
Been waiting for a performance vid. Anyone like to share theirs? My searches have not proved fruitful. Anyone?
[/quote]

I don't think you will ever find many performances videos of ANY Wolf Magic items. I think I have seen maybe one or two EVER anywhere on the internet.
I've only used it for a 10 year old show once, and I borrowed a routine from "the muppet show". You start by explaining that the magic word is 'here' (or some other fairly common word) and when the kids hear you say the magic word, they should all clap once and that will make the magic happen. Having gotten this clear, you begin your patter "Well hello!! Hey! It's a pleasure to be here!" Kids clap, ball flies out. You act all surprised then annoyed and say "No! Not now!" Replace the ball. You go on with the patter but that pesky word just keeps popping up and the kids keep clapping & the ball keeps flying. ie: "I'll put it back in here" "Cant your hear me?" "Now look here!" "Here we go," etc. Finally in frustration you cork the top and say you'll remove it when the right 'here' is about to be said. After that it's pretty much the same.
[quote]
On 2012-03-02 12:30, Kevinr wrote:
I don't think you will ever find many performances videos of ANY Wolf Magic items. I think I have seen maybe one or two EVER anywhere on the internet.
[/quote]

That's a good point! They DO seem to be a bit camera shy don't they?
[quote]
On 2012-03-02 12:35, The Mighty Fool wrote:
I've only used it for a 10 year old show once, and I borrowed a routine from "the muppet show". You start by explaining that the magic word is 'here' (or some other fairly common word) and when the kids hear you say the magic word, they should all clap once and that will make the magic happen. Having gotten this clear, you begin your patter "Well hello!! Hey! It's a pleasure to be here!" Kids clap, ball flies out. You act all surprised then annoyed and say "No! Not now!" Replace the ball. You go on with the patter but that pesky word just keeps popping up and the kids keep clapping & the ball keeps flying. ie: "I'll put it back in here" "Cant your hear me?" "Now look here!" "Here we go," etc. Finally in frustration you cork the top and say you'll remove it when the right 'here' is about to be said. After that it's pretty much the same.
[/quote]

Love the "WORD" idea! Thanks for sharing!

RNK
To keep the wand from falling out of the tube, put a thin rubber band around the middle of the tube next to the hole. Pull down on the band when the wand is inserted. I use dental elastic bands. Hope this will be of help to someone.
[quote]
On 2012-03-04 16:18, Dan Ford wrote:
To keep the wand from falling out of the tube, put a thin rubber band around the middle of the tube next to the hole. Pull down on the band when the wand is inserted. I use dental elastic bands. Hope this will be of help to someone.
[/quote]
I never had this problem, as I hold the tube vertically at all times. I have found that there are a lot of things you can do with Groove Tube, the most important thing is to work with it, and to understand the angles. For instance, you should hold the tube very close to the body when inserting your finger to fire the ball in the air. If held too far from the body, the kids see your finger going into the tube.
The standard cups and balls load at the end is, in my opinion, the best way to finish the effect. You can end up with a ball of a different colour, or even a random object, falling from the tube. A piece of fruit, like a plum is my favourite. Simply dump the tube, and munch into the fruit, as you survey your audience, with a suitable expression of surprise/delight.
Well, this is an old post but I have a few ideas. I tried this trick a few times a few years ago but kinda forgot about it, now I'm going to start using it again tomorrow. I like a lot of the ideas presented in this thread, and will use some of it in a modified way. For the final load, I am going to try various ideas and see what works best. But 1 idea is to drop a green ball at top and release a realist plastic lemon from the bottom as a gag/surprise. Then try again but an apple pops out bottom ( I have a realistic vinyl/rubber apple that folds up and pops open). Or I can just do the red ball at some point, though I'm guessing that won't get much reaction but ends the trick. To produce the fruit I can also say, hey, this thing is jammed up and pop a lemon out one and then the apple on the other, or really any silly gag prop. I just tried a small width and length spring snake loaded in to the cork side before the trick starts, then it pops out into my face, that should get a good laugh.
For those who don't want to palm the plastic ball, a sponge ball works, it doesn't look the same as the plastic ball, but if you display it like a solid ball I'm guessing nobody will care or say anything, at least not the younger kids. I like the clown nose idea that someone mentioned, and the idea of putting eyes on them, but I'm going to say something like I just bought a special red ball to practice juggling, red is my lucky color, then when green pops out I say green is my unlucky color.