(Close Window)
Topic: Make or buy a Loop Ball
What is best to do, make or buy a loop ball?

And, which kind of ball is best to buy?

Lencano
To my knowledge, loop balls are not available in the magic market.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=69
Thanks for the link, Fàbio.

Anyone else that has any ideas or suggestions?
You're welcome. :)

I don't know much about loop balls, so I'm not too sure if I would recommend you to make yourself one instead of buying it. Good luck on your search, anyways.
[quote]
On 2010-01-11 08:11, wmhegbli wrote:
To my knowledge, loop balls are not available in the magic market.
[/quote]

There are a few pros who make one from the brown egg gimmick from our Silk to Egg. We can furnish them pre-drilled, if requested. The brown egg doesn't flash. (It will also hold six 2" sponge balls or a 24" square silk. --- Great for a 24" card silk!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I have 1 from The Ambitious Card, as well as one from Jim Cellini.
I have also made a few. My favorite is the Cellini; it has several coats of paint.
Any video of one being used?

I'm curious on what they are exactly intended for. I have an idea, though. Is it similar to that 'Revolution Coin Vanish' that was released a few years ago?
Slydini featured on in his book, "Slydini Encores," both in it's visible and invisible applications.
As a visible ball, you can do incredible vanishes of a ball.
As a secret device, it makes for great vanishes and productions of silk, salt, and other materials.
Check out Jordan Gomez's FISM act on YouTube. When he's manipulating the red ball, he uses it very well!
Here is a movie of Cellini: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c81rxaPfWg

I'm trying to create my own loop ball, 'cause I can't get them around here.

But, I'll try with the egg to silk gimmick.
Yeah, just what I thought it was. :P

Very deceptive!
:D It is a nice piece of magic.
Get Cellini's DVD, "Magic That Can Be Done Anywhere," on the Loop Ball and make your own. It's a wealth of information.
I already got the DVD. ;) Thanks.

And, I already made my own. :)

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 9:12am
Maybe some of you can help on something Jim Cellini is talking about on his DVD....
He says that he reads the books of Tarbell about the loop ball.... He also mentioned another name, something like 'Berlin Hall'. (I don't know how you write it.)
Does anyone know the name? Or, any other resources?

Thanks again.

Posted: Jan 24, 2010 3:36pm
Already...got my answer.
Burling Hull
[quote]
On 2010-01-22 09:39, manal wrote:
I have 1 from The Ambitious Card, as well as one from Jim Cellini.
I have also made a few. My favorite is the Cellini; it has several coats of paint.
[/quote]

I was wondering where you got the Cellini loop ball...does he have a site that you can purchase one from?

Thanks!
Wolly
[quote]
On 2010-02-03 08:58, wbzwolinski wrote:
I was wondering where you got the Cellini loop ball...
[/quote]

I got it a few years back from Kozmo.
Very sadly, Cellini has since passed away.
Yes, very sad indeed...I loved his work and he was inspirational in how I perform today. I just thought that there was possibly a site which sold items he specifically used such as the loopball. I am still trying to figure out the specific cotton yarn/thread he used in his gypsy thread. I just can't find anything I like for his "larger" performance of the effect. It seemed to break very easily...which would be beneficial to me because of the carpel tunnel condition that I have developed in my hands. Well, the loopball I can make myself, but I sure would like to get my hands on some of that thread.

Thanks for your response,
Wolly
Sounds like there may be a market out there for one. Maybe if you come up with one you can make $$ off it!
I think you can get that thread at a fabric store by the spool.
And why has this thread been moved to the "silk" section?? Because of the word "loop" or the word "ball"?
[quote]
On 2010-02-11 19:24, Frank Starsini wrote:
I think you can get that thread at a fabric store by the spool.
And why has this thread been moved to the "silk" section?? Because of the word "loop" or the word "ball"?
[/quote]

I suspect it's because the mods have confused a loop ball with a hank ball (some hank balls also have loops on them).
[quote]
On 2010-01-22 17:56, Orange Eric wrote:
Check out Jordan Gomez's FISM act on YouTube. When he's manipulating the red ball, he uses it very well!
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbGAep93RNA
[quote]
On 2010-02-07 09:53, wbzwolinski wrote:
I am still trying to figure out the specific cotton yarn/thread he used in his gypsy thread. I just can't find anything I like for his "larger" performance of the effect. It seemed to break very easily...which would be beneficial to me because of the carpel tunnel condition that I have developed in my hands. Well, the loopball I can make myself, but I sure would like to get my hands on some of that thread.

Thanks for your response,
Wolly
[/quote]

The Thread is called 'Basting Thread', it is used by clothing tailors to hand stitch parts of clothing when making tailored cloths like suits for men. The Basing Thread in the USA is just to strong. It is made by the popular 'Coats & Clark, Inc.' Company. As stated by Frank, most all fabric stores carry this brand. Mine has the name 'Brook's Basting Thread' on the covering wrapper.

For the best Basing Thread, you have to get it from England and Europe. There thread is a bit thicker and weaker. Breaks very easily. All the spools I have the visiting magicians removed the labels, so I cannot give any brand information, unfortunately.
Wicking yarn works well in the Gypsy Thread. It's larger in diameter than regular basting thread, but breaks just as easily.
I remember I had fish line on mine years ago.
[quote]
On 2012-10-17 19:10, magic8161 wrote:
I remember I had fish line on mine years ago.
[/quote]

??? Oh! On the loop ball! Yeah, that's usually the stuff they use. :)

Doug
I bought a loop ball from Cellini at a lecture and he used a pretty thick monofilement fishing line.

Mark
Not sure how to make one. anyone make there own?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=75dHYB01zpA
I always thought you could do the same thing with a palm-o-ball.
No, Ian...The Palmo is an oval Dye Tube made by Rice. It has no monofilament attached. :)

Doug
As far as the "loop ball" being used for silks, isn't that called a Stilwell Ball? Or am I mistaken?
The ball used for silk work is a hank ball, that Stilwell developed a full routine around in the early 1900's. I actually found a copy of his booklet in very good condition. Hugard summarizes the Stillwell routine in the book "Silken Sorcery". The hank ball can be found most commonly today without a loop, and my opinion is that the loop does not add much to the ball's usefulness.

Duane Lalin has a DVD on the hank ball that is quite good.

Mark