(Close Window)
Topic: Blue Phantom
I remember my old roommate, a very experienced magician, performing this routine in all of his shows, I never asked how it was done. Never wanted to..it was pure magic for me. But I understand that there is a version using a building...I want to say "The Architects Nightmare" but not sure. Any ideas? Also, have not been able to find a copy, is it still being made?

Thanks,

Charlie
http://www.martinsmagic.com/?html=full&key=4278
One for sale here on the Café right now.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=347158&forum=76&1

Edit... and one minute later it posted SOLD. Oh, well...
Here is some history behind The Blue Phantom.

It was invented by Hans Trunk, a Viennese director, sometime before WW II, possibly before WW I. I don't have the exact date. The method was revealed in [i]Das Wunderbuch der Zauberkunst[/i] which was translated into English by J. Barrows Mussey (AKA Henry Hay) and published as [i]Illustrated Magic[/i]. I've owned a couple of them. The ones made in the US by Thayer and Owen were, in my opinion, in my opinion, far less convincing that tne ones from Germany and Austria, because of a change in the method. The change allowed the magician to show a few of the checkers loose after the first transformation, but the gimmick was obvious from as far away as 12 feet.

My favorite is the one that was manufactured by ZZM. It was a close-up version of the original.

The name "Blue Phantom" is not an accurate translation of the original name "das blaue Wunder" which means an absolute miracle, a nasty surprise, or a real shock. It was probably named after the bridge in Dresden which bears the same name, although I see absolutely no connection at all between the two, other than the fact that the bridge has survived all sorts of disasters.
Thanks Bill for the info. I love the effect. My friend James Hamilton does an incredible version with his, everything is perfect, right down to the music.

Charlie
If the ZZM one is the small 6 inch tall "blue phantom with metal base, it's a beautiful one and am so happy to have one in my collection...reason I didn't buy the one by Magic Wagon as I thought it was no match to the German mini version.
I think it is the most convincing one of all.

The original Hans Trunk model worked basically the same way, just larger. And the internal mechanism was manual, rather than spring-loaded.
I agree with Bill and George that the ZZM version of the Blue Phantom is one of the nicest ever made.

However, one of the most interesting I've ever owned is this mini version (from Germany I'm told).

[img]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/JL608/ghostphantom2.jpg[/img]

At the end of the routine, the cover is lifted to show that the blue checker was indeed a "phantom".

[img]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/JL608/ghostphantom4.jpg[/img]

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this version? I'd love to know the manufacturer and obtain a copy of the original instructions.

Many thanks,

Joe
I have never seen that one. It is very interesting. It looks like the base is the same that was used in the ZZM version, but painted with enameled rings. The colors are different, of course. The ZZM version used white checkers with a blue second checker.

I would be willing to bet that the person who came up with this version was actually an American or from England.

The Germans and Austrians never refer to this as "the Blue Phantom," so it wouldn't make any sense to them.

I'll be in Austria later this year. I'll see what I can find out about it.
[quote]
On 2010-03-22 11:49, JL608 wrote:
I agree with Bill and George that the ZZM version of the Blue Phantom is one of the nicest ever made.

However, one of the most interesting I've ever owned is this mini version (from Germany I'm told).

[img]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/JL608/ghostphantom2.jpg[/img]

At the end of the routine, the cover is lifted to show that the blue checker was indeed a "phantom".

[img]http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/JL608/ghostphantom4.jpg[/img]

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this version? I'd love to know the manufacturer and obtain a copy of the original instructions.

Many thanks,

Joe
[/quote]
wow...looks very beautifull...and with a surprising and different ending...did you get info about the manufacturer??
No, I didn't. I actually have seen one of these before. Kenna Thompson had it in some photos he sent me. But he didn't know who made it, either.

There is a Chinese knockoff of the ZZM version. I purchased one at the TAOM convention over the Labor Day Weekend. The release is very stiff, and the tube is too rigid to do the necessary moves with.

Too bad.

Posted: Nov 20, 2010 1:36am
I saw a couple of versions of the Architect's Nightmare at NEMCA last week. Interesting.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Nov 21, 2010 06:58PM)
We found one amongst my father's stuff a few years ago.
and I never heard of it until he told my mom and I what it was.
we were going to sell but he said he wanted to keep it.

I think its because he made it himself.
Somebody know who manufacture and sell the Blue Phantom today??

Magic Wagon is out of stock and Owen Magic Supreme is out of my budget...

Thanks for your help!
I don't know anyone who manufactures an inexpensive version of it. You don't want the Chinese knockoff, because it's a waste of money.

You need to consider your performing venue -- close-up or stage. The Magic Wagon item is close-up. The Owen item is stage.
I love preforming the Blue Phantom.
Update on the mini version that I thought was a Chinese knockoff of the ZZM version.

It's not Chinese. It's English. The newer ones are better than the one I purchased at the TAOM. Still, I prefer the ZZM version.
Anyone have a ZZM or Magic Wagon Blue Phantom that they'd like to sell?

If so, please PM me. Thanks.

Robert
Could someone give me advice on the Blue Phantom at emagictricks.co.uk. Is it of good quality?

Thanks for your help!

Rick
Are the ones at emagictricks the English version that Bill spoke about? Does anyone have this version?

Thanks

Rick
Rick. It's a great one, go for it. Sent you a pm.
Rick, did you get your phantom yer?
Hi Chris, I decided not to because Paypal blocked the transaction. They wouldn't allow me to use a credit card because of possible fraud. However they would have allowed me to pay directly from my checking account. Paypal never gave me a full explanation as to why they blocked the transaction but I figured I didn't want to take the chance with money from my checking account if Paypal had a problem with the transaction.

Rick
Rick, I didn't have that problem. I used paypal and selected one of my credit card accounts and transaction was completed as usual. If time allows, I would contact paypal and explain you would like to pay the invoice using your credit card linked to paypal NOT the bank transfer. They should explain what issue they might have so you can have another opportunity to acquire this. Like I said before, it's worth it and you will not be disappointed.
Here's a bit of information that may be of interest to Blue Phantom afficianados (sp?)

The Blue Phantom was discussed in another thread sometime in the past year.

I mentioned that the late TOMMY WINDSOR of Marietta, Ohio, had published in "The New Tops Trick Annual" (1962)his CLIMAX BLUE PHANTOM. I had bought the late Roy Mayer's BP from his widow, Bernice, in the early '90s. Roy had USED his on the road (school show)and it needed some dressing up It was an OWEN. My pal, the late Bruce Jensen (Minneapolis) volunteered to do the restoration, and we decided to use Windsor's idea. It came out beautiful!

Like my grandmother's "best tea towels", it was too nice to use. I kept it for a year or so, and Bruce finally talked me into selling it to him. His widow Gigi may still have it.

If this sounds interesting, PM me and I'll put you in touch with Gigi.
I used to own an old Blue Phantom many years ago...not sure who the manufacturer was.

In doing some internet checking, it seems the only model currently being made is the Owen model. Is this correct? I haven't found any other versions, including the close up size Blue Phantoms that are currently available.
Wayne Dobson in the UK, is having some made by Andy Hurst. Each numbered with a certificate of authenticity.
Is there any web link to an advertisement or announcement for a new production run of Andy Hurst Blue Phantoms? Any way to place a pre order for them yet?

Jess
Wayne can be contacted at: http://www.waynedobson.co.uk/
Or via his FaceBook page where there's also a link to him performing it a few years ago.
Thanks for the link...

:)

Jess
I ordered and paid for a Blue Phantom on the magic website a couple of weeks ago, the Andy Hurst version. Despite sending several emails to see if my effect was enroute and had a Tracking Number, I have had no reply. If anyone has a phone number or email address that I can use to contact Mr. Hurst for an updat I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Eric.
I just received my Blue Phantom from Andy Hurst. Beautiful apparatus and good instructions from Andy. The video performances on the web are great for presentation tips.
Eric.
Love all the history and bits of information behind this little neat mystery!
I ordered Andy Hurst's version of Blue Phantom this morning. In a prior email conversation, Andy quoted me 2 days before he'd be ready to ship it once the order was placed. I hope that it doesn't end up taking weeks.

FWIW, Andy said that he has Blue Phantoms in stock that are partially constructed and it takes 2 days to finish them. He didn't elaborate but I suspect the finishing time is to construct the type of tube that the customer orders. He offers 3 different tube designs and it makes sense that he wouldn't necessarily stock multiples of each design at the same time.

I ordered the Blue Holographic tube. I've got my fingers crossed that it will ship next week.

Mark
I have/had 3 Blue Phantoms. The large Thayer/Owen, mid-size by Ed Miller (okito decor), and a mini from Germany. I sold the large size because the gimmick is not that deceptive. The mid-size is more deceptive and easier to use. I like the mini the best because it uses a different gimmick and it more deceptive and easier to perform. Bob
Blue Phantom Perfected by Wellington Enterprises is beautiful and probably the best version out there
[quote]On May 5, 2019, GeorgeG wrote:
Blue Phantom Perfected by Wellington Enterprises is beautiful and probably the best version out there [/quote]

I would love to own one but there were only 13 made and sold so they are now a true collector's item that commands a crazy price.

Mark
[quote]On Apr 23, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
I just received my Blue Phantom from Andy Hurst. Beautiful apparatus and good instructions from Andy. The video performances on the web are great for presentation tips.
Eric. [/quote]

Eric,

Are you in the U.S.? If so, did Andy Hurst credit you back the VAT you paid on the Blue Phantom? His website states that VAT is already included in the prices. Those buying from outside the European Union shouldn't have to pay the VAT. For the Blue Phantom, the VAT amount would be about $50 U.S.

Like your experience, I haven't heard anything back from Andy yet. But it was a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK, maybe that is why?

I have to admit I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this order.

Mark
Hi Mark. I paid £240.00 for my Blue Phantom plus £20.00 Shipping. On the invoice it said beside Vat: Not Registered. My total cost for the unit was therefore £260.00 and worth every penny in my opinion. I really like the look and the functioning of my Blue Phantom. As I stated before, I was initially concerned about the lack of communication but Andy eventually got back to me to let me know the effect had been shipped and it arrived a few days later. Hope that helps. All the best.
Eric.
Hi again Mark. I forgot to say that no, I live in Canada.
Eric.
Thanks, Eric. I shot an email to Andy Hurst to ask for some clarification on the subject. Hopefully it won't take too long to get a reply.

Mark
I have owned Owen's Blue Phantom as well as several other versions. This was always one of my favorite effects. A few years back at a convention I picked up a unique version called The Green Zephyr....never found out who is the builder. Attached is a brief video of me performing it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua597lMT1VQ

Chuck
It's been a week since I placed my order for Andy Hurst's Blue Phantom. Still no reply to my emails or even an order confirmation from Andy. An email sent prior to my order being placed was replied to within 24 hours. Since placing the order, crickets.

I don't expect the product to magically appear on my doorstep. But after giving Andy $351 of my money, I *do* expect the courtesy of a reply to emails and a reasonable estimate on when the Blue Phantom might ship. That email prior to placing the order stated that it would take 2 days to have the Blue Phantom ready. I relied on that information when I placed the order.

Still, I'm going to give it a few more days because I'd like to own the product. But I won't wait weeks in the total absence of communication.

Mark
Andy finally replied. He said my previous emails apparently went to spam. He said my Blue Phantom is ready to ship and he will send the tracking (he didn't state WHEN). He replied at 1:05pm UK time and it's now 4:11pm UK time, fingers crossed I'll get the tracking number today.

He also said that he doesn't charge VAT because he's not registered to collect it. He knows the statement about VAT being included in his prices is misleading and he apologized for that.

Mark
Hooray, I finally have a tracking number! Andy shipped it via UPS and apparently used a 3rd party service for the shipment. Based on an email I received from Parcel2Go, I don't think it's going to start moving until Monday. But, at least it's on its way (sort of).

Mark
I guess Andy shipped via an express method because the package tracking started showing movement earlier today and UPS is now estimating that my Blue Phantom will be delivered on Monday. Nice!

I have a custom close-up pad from PropDog in the UK being delivered the same day. Then the local IBM Ring meeting that night. Show and tell! :)

Mark
My Andy Hurst Blue Phantom was delivered today and Eric is absolutely right, it was worth the wait. The quality is excellent and the gimmicks (there are more than one) work beautifully. It's a thing of beauty. And the quality of the one gimmick is strong enough that this can be performed as a close-up effect.

I'm very pleased with my purchase.

My PropDog close-up pad arrived today too. Red Thistle Suede and it looks fantastic. Card spreads are a treat on this surface!

Mark
Glad you like your Blue Phantom Mark. They really are beautiful
Eric.
Our local IBM Ring meeting was tonight. I brought along the Blue Phantom and showed it to some friends and fellow members when we met at Denny's after the meeting. Everyone was impressed with the quality of Andy's version and I think a couple of them are going to order one to call their own.

Mark
The original post also mentioned "The Architect's Nightmare." It was a version of the Blue Phantom with square blocks instead of checkers. They had "architectural details" painted on them. I don't know who made them, but they are scarce. I suppose it was because they looked rather strange.

This is one of those cases of a trick that faded into obscurity because it really didn't connect with people.
Thanks Bill for the info. I love the effect
I think "The Architect's Nightmare" was a Thayer item (not certain).

Julie
Looks like it was Thayer.

https://auctions.potterauctions.com/lot-8904.aspx
I inherited this Blue Phantom. Can anyone tell me the maker?

Thanks;

Ron