(Close Window)
Topic: Cassidy Workshop
I just read about the Bob Cassidy workshop:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=338845&forum=31&5

I've heard a rumour that the subject of the workshop will be "Jazz Mentalism."

Sign me up, Bob!
PM me for details
Man, this is going to be a good one. I wish that I had the time to take part. If you have the means to make it to this workshop, you are silly not to attend.

-rob
I think this discussion shows the difference between studying and training.

You can learn ABOUT NLP by studying books and watching a couple videos. If you want to use the concept of NLP for misdirection, those books will give you basic idea. If you wish to use an idea or two from NLP AS an effect, look at some of the stuff by Kenton. Be aware, however, that you'll always need an out.

If you want to learn NLP to achieve self-change or help others change, go to an in-person training where your trainer is certified through a recognized NLP organization.

Learning NLP from a book is like learning that fire is hot from a book. The reality is a different experience.

If the training is done properly, the trainer USES NLP in the training. If the theory is accurate, the result is that you get learnings you may not even be aware of until they are needed.

This may seem like crap to the pseudo-skeptics, but it is common for hypnotherapists to have clients tell them "I had a realization that changed me." They don't remember that this was exactly the suggestion the hypnotist made while they were in hypnosis and believe they came up with it by themselves. I forgot who said it (One of the "E"s, I think: Elman? Erkickson?), but it seems that results are more effective when the client thinks they came up with the realization.
Hey dmkraig

I think you might have pasted this post into the wrong thread...
except: from what I understand Bob's workshop will be hands-on and performance oriented.
so....
Dmkraig is a know-it-all no matter what thread he's on. He's an expert on anything and everything.
Good news! We just found out that the venue is allowing us more room due to a change. Therefore, we can accommodate more students while still maintaining the high degree of individualized attention. Because of this change, we have dropped the tuition to $500. Refunds to students already registered have been taken care of.

Jeremy
http://sites.google.com/site/jazzmentalism/
Hey Jeremy,

That sounds great! that makes an excellent workshop a great bargain as well!

For me it much more doable, I'll just have to work out a few things before I can commit 100%.

I'll keep you posted,

Paul
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Jan 28, 2010 11:00PM)
I was the first to register for this at $1000.00 and I thought it was a steal then! Now it's only $500, I'm twice as happy! I hope to see you there Dave and Paul.

Christopher
Well, for those who have signed up so far....we have confirmed at least one "special guest" who has agreed to give a special presentation! I can't yet reveal his name yet. More surprises to follow.
Hey christopher

baby-willing
bob giving hands on billet advice?
and guiding me through my Q&A work?

the bells are being sewn on as I write.

dave
Dave-

How are you going to explain the bells to airport security?

Look forward to seeing you there.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Thanks bob...

the bells are strictly carry=on

d
Just note that the 5-7 min act that the attendees can perform (for evaluation and feedback) is optional.
I have repeatedly been asked to post this. So here goes:

Bob Cassidy's Jazz Mentalism Workshop

Special Announcement!
To accommodate more interested registrants and to reduce the overall costs, the registration fee for this event has been adjusted as noted below.

Seattle, Washington

An Intensive Seminar and Workshop for Professional Mentalists, Semi-pros and Advanced Amateurs

WHEN: April 23rd, 24th and 25th - (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
Informal “night before” gathering on Thursday, April 22nd (See schedule below for details)

WHERE: Courtyard Seattle Southcenter Marriott  (free transportation from SeaTac International Airport)

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/seasc-courtyard-seattle-southcenter/

Due to the hands-on and one-on-one nature of this event, registration is limited

Syllabus:

Mastering Billets:
Intensive hands-on sessions devoted to all aspects of classic and modern billet work, with
special focus on the techniques used in the Jazz Mentalism approach to Q & A

"Q &A" - The Major Effect in Mentalism:
Lecture and hands-on sessions covering classic models and innovative modern handlings
Includes:

• Analysis, psychology and in-depth instruction in the classic
Baldwin/Sunshine/Dunninger/Volta/Nelson approaches to Q&A

• The Hanussen Technique and variants, including the Scorpio approach

• Steals, switches and reads

• Impression devices, proper preparation and handling, the right devices to use,
allaying suspicion, impromptu impressions

• The New Plexiglas box

• The Handwriting Analysis approach

• Blindfolded Q and A and modern innovations

• The Art of Answering

• "Audience reading" approach

• Cold reading integration

• Misdirections - The Logical Disconnects of Q & A and billet work

• Jazz Mentalism - the most powerful Q and A approach extant

Note: Since all elements of the workshop are performance oriented, interested registrants
will be invited to present a 5 to 7 minute routine for professional analysis and critique of
handling, presentation and stagecraft. This is optional.

Tentative Schedule of Events

Thursday, April 22nd
8:00 PM - For registrants who arrive early, there will be an informal "meet and greet"
with Bob in the lounge.

Friday, April 23rd
10:00 AM – Noon: Material distribution and informal discussions with early arrivals
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Jazz Mentalism Workshop Session 1
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM: Session 2

Saturday, April 24th
9:00 AM – Noon: Session 3
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Session 4
7:00 PM - 10:00 PM: Session 5

Sunday, April 25th
9:00 AM – Noon: Session 6
1:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Session 7

Registration fee: $500.00 (Registration is limited to insure one-on-one attention to all participants.)
Note: Lodging and transportation are not included.

The registration fee covers ALL of the following:
Continental breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday (Coffee and beverages will be available).

The Jazz Mentalism Workbook, seminar notes, CDs of relevant writings (including exclusive new materials and presentations prepared especially for the workshop), and all required physical materials for the hands-on sessions.

By registering to the event, all participants agree to keep exclusive materials confidential. They may not be copied, shared or distributed in any manner. Attendees, however, are granted full performance rights, including television, to original routines and handlings taught in the Workshop.

For further information and to register contact:   jeremysweiss@yahoo.com
Update:

Every mentalist who performs Q & A for audiences knows that nothing else comes as close to real mind reading. Nothing has more impact on an audience or is more memorable. This is why Q & A and billet work are the heart of mentalism.

For those who plan on attending the 2010 Jazz Mentalism Workshop in April, we are working on adding something special. However, we wanted to make sure that this bonus would not cut into our workshop time, so it will take place on Thursday (4/22) night (in addition to the meet and greet).

What is the bonus? We are also trying to arrange for Bob Cassidy to actually perform his live show before a real audience. (Of course, registrants will be able to attend free.) Cassidy will do his act and you will see the power of Q & A firsthand. You will get to see it in action in a way that has been unavailable anywhere else and hasn't been shared with the fraternity before.

In addition to the wealth of information provided during the workshops, this added bonus will function as a touchstone for discussions. Throughout the workshop Bob will be tipping the real work of Q & A.

When you attend this workshop, you are going to leave being able to perform one of the most powerful, awe-inspiring feats of mentalism. For close up, parlor or for stage, you will be able to put Q & A into your act with confidence.
So we now have confirmed TWO special guests for the workshop. One will be delivering a fantastic presentation. Both are among The Mentalism Cognoscenti. It is an honor to have them on board. Those that are registered are going to be thrilled by this line up.
Gutted I will miss this!!!

I hope Bob will be covering some of this at MindVention!

Col.
Unfortuately, no. He will not.
[quote]
On 2010-01-24 20:30, billm55 wrote:
Dmkraig is a know-it-all no matter what thread he's on. He's an expert on anything and everything.
[/quote]

[ ] Dmkraig is an expert on anything and everything.
[x] NLP is pseudoscience.
Davit sicseek :

don't fool around with dmkraig:

he and his pal; old dog bobser know all [or so they think]
Dmkraig may be an expert on everything, but what the heck is a pseudo-skeptic? Is that some who pretends to be skeptical?

Benny
Quick question.

How much of the material covered in this workshop will be original and unpublished info? Is any of the workshop content to be found in any of Bob's previously published works?

Kam
Hey kambiz

from what I understand there is going to be a mix of things, old and new.
Jazz mentalism, for example. is something that bob talks about a lot in his work-- the big difference is going to be having hands-on exploration of the technique(s) while being guided by the master.

I also have it on good authority that he will be tipping work that has not been published anywhere as far as I know-- including "the plexiglas box" which is one of those "worth the price of admission" ideas for the perform who wants to have Q&A as part of their professional repertoire.

plus the special guests!... which knowing bob-- even if only a little-- I'm willing to bet will make this workshop something not-to-be-missed.

I'm going to stop now because I feel like I'm getting caught up in my own hype here... but needless to say, I can't wait.
Well, certainly, there will be references to Bob's existing body of work (Hanussen, Scorpio and Jazz Mentalism). While we may draw from them, those works can be purchased through Lybrary. It would be best (but not imperative) to be familiar with some of them.

Also, some of what we will be discussing is the development of Q & A as it has existed and exists today, so that we may give the you a solid background. This will allow you to formulate your own next step in the evolution of Q & A. Of course, there will be many, many new ideas never taught or seen before--like the plexiglass box approach, which Bob and I came up with together (and I have used with great success).

The key here is that this workshop will be a very intense, "hands-on" workshop with a dynamic, interactive component. We are not discussing broad topics like close-up mentalism, hypnosis, stage mentalism, marketing, or philosophical discussions on ethics/disclaimers or what mentalism is or isn't. We are focused on Q & A and giving you the tools to do it right.

Of course, this includes (but is not limited to): switches, steals and other techniques employed to perform Q & A. It also includes not just getting information, but mastering how to deliver it back in a way that is both powerful and impactful to your audience.

It is our hope that while there will be scintillating, stimulating discussion, you will leave with a comfort level such that you can put Q & A right into your act. You will walk away with something concrete for your investment. Tangible skills.

Think about how much money is spent on gimmicks, devices, and other toys. This is an unbeatable deal. No device or DVD you purchase comes with 26 hours of unrestricted, semi-private instruction from a master. At this workshop you leave with an act. Not Bob's Q & A act, not Dunninger's, not Kreskin's. Your own Q & A act.
Message: Posted by: Richard Osterlind (Feb 19, 2010 11:00AM)
[quote]
On 2010-02-19 02:32, jeremysweiss wrote:

The key here is that this workshop will be a very intense, "hands-on" workshop with a dynamic, interactive component. We are not discussing broad topics like close-up mentalism, hypnosis, stage mentalism, marketing, or philosophical discussions on ethics/disclaimers or what mentalism is or isn't. We are focused on Q & A and giving you the tools to do it right.

[/quote]

Jeremy,

I'm sure the Bob Cassidy workshop will be top-notch. Bob is a friend and I would expect nothing less.

However, since every item you've listed in the above paragraph is straight out of the curriculum of my workshop coming up next week, I feel that I should clarify this mischaracterization. We are not tackling these topics in any kind of broad way at all. As Bob is doing, I will be approaching these topics in a similar, hands-on fashion with many effects taught and mastery of each the main goal.

My workshop is not for beginners, but rather for the advanced performer and student.

I just wanted to clarify our position and wish you good luck with your event. I'm sure it will be stellar.

Richard
Mr. Osterlind:

Your post is so important to me that I am sending this from my cellphone, so please forgive any spelling errors. Firstly, let me say that I consider you a great inspiration and if I could, I would be attending your workshop myself. I am certain it wil be of tremendous value to anyone and everyone who takes it.

In no way was I trying to disparage your endeavor. Merely, I was trying to emphasize that Bob's workshop is very, very focused. In fact, this will be viewed by some as a strength and by others as an Achille's heel.

I know I don't have to wish you luck because your workshop will be a great success. Again, I wish I could be there as well.

I hope you forgive this misunderstanding. I regard you with very high esteem.

Warmly,
Jeremy
I just wanted to confirm that all of Bob Cassidy's ebooks and a few other items from him are available at the Lybrary. Your two best entry points are a list of all of Bob's products http://www.lybrary.com/bob-cassidy-m-41.html and his famous or infamous 39 Steps to Mentalism http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
Expect a downloadable MP3 regarding the workshop in the next few days. It will provide some answers to frequently asked questions.....
For those of you who are interested, Jeremy and I have completed our Jazz Mentalism Workshop Podcast in which we discuss many of the details regarding my upcoming Q & A workshop. You can download it or listen to it free at the Jazz Mentalism site at [url]http://sites.google.com/site/jazzmentalism/[/url]

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
Excellent !
Man, if I could, I'd walk over hot coals to attend. Bob's material and thoughts are priceless.

Benny
I so want to go. I'm trying to make this work out
Thanks for the heads-up about the podcast.
I'll give a listen...

but you don't have to sell me I'm really looking forward to this thing.
Very gutted I can't make this!

However I will be making a point of speaking to Mr. Cassidy later this year and I want to work out how to bring this to the UK!

Col.
I listened to the pod cast and this event seems like a time NOT to miss.

Unfortunately, I will miss it! But look forward to seeing Bob lecture/perform again at Mindvention.
Will be there in spirit.
Kim
Just a note to several on the Café who have asked us to hold spots at the workshop for them - since the attendance is limited we cannot "hold" spots much longer. So if you are planning to attend please complete your registration as soon as possible.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
After reading the following news story, I doubt that the Q&A workshop will ever be presented in Saudi Arabia.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/03/19/saudi.arabia.sorcery/index.html?hpt=T2[/url]

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
Yeah, you don't want to mess with the "religious police".

Yikes!
Bobby
Unfortunately, on Friday, my father suffered an unexpected cardiopulmonary arrest. I am in Florida right now. He is expected to pass away this weekend. For those that have inquired, the workshop will still take place as planned, though I will have a bit less focus on it. I am sure you all understand.

My father was the one who started me on the road to "magic" and the strange, unexplainable and unusual. He was always very supportive and was even at my last show (that debuted the plexiglass box). It is still going to be the best workshop EVER, because he would have wanted it to be that way. Thank you all so much for the outpouring of love, best wishes and support.

Jeremy
Hey Jeremy,

I'm very sorry to her about your father...my prayers go out to you and your family.

Take care,

David
Our thoughts are with you Jeremy.
All my best wishes Jeremy!

Paul
Am so sorry to hear, Jeremy. Best wishes to you and your family.

Bobby
Again, thanks for all the good wishes and kind words. It has been a tough day. Your support is greatly valued. I am far away from my wife and family right now, so you guys are keeping me sane.

Thinking about you, and the workshop gives me something fun to think about and look forward to. As I said, it is going to rock.
Many people have communicated to me that they are interested in the workshop but cannot attend. They have also inquired if the materials will be made available for purchase. It was our intention to release the materials after the workshop at a higher price.

However, one individual has registered but cannot attend. I promised that person that any materials (including the plexiglass box), workbooks and video will be made available to him (but he must still sign the non-disclosure agreement). In the interest of fairness, I will extend the same offer to you.

If you are interested in the workshop materials, plexiglass box, etc. You may register for the workshop and will receive all the materials (except the bonus presentations) that come out of the workshop. However, you will not get the main value--which is, of course, hands-on instruction by Bob Cassidy.

Again, after the workshop we intend to release workbooks, written material and video, but at a higher price.

Feel free to contact/pm me if interested.
Friend Jeremy,
So sorry to hear your sad news. Sending you and your family Love and Light. Let me know if you would like to talk.
-JS
Jeremy,

My thoughts are with you at this sad moment.

Benny
Thank you all for your wonderful PMs and well wishes. Your kindness has been overwhelming and has given me great strength from which to draw. I am truly a lucky man to have so many wonderful, creative, thoughtful people who I am am proud to call my friends.

Sorry to derail this thread. When I get back over the next few days, I will turn my focus back to the workshop. In the meantime, in know that Bob has still been working his brains out to make sure that this workshop will be unrivaled.

Jeremy
Well, the Cassidy Workshop is less than 3 weeks away....I am happy to report everything is on track.

As an FYI: registrants will receive a little special discount from Thaumaturgy!...and a little preview of something Christo has been working on!

Mr. Torkova will also be giving his billet lecture as an extra bonus!

More treats are in the works....
Sounds great Jeremy!

How many registrants are there?
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Apr 5, 2010 04:01PM)
I just heard some great news about this workshop that I am very excited to share with all. The faculty of the event has been expanded to impressive proportions by none other Mr. Mike Webber. As if that were not enough, Torkova will be speaking on the history of billet work. AND, there will be valuable contributions from Jheff and John Stetson. Oh, and I am pleased to say that I will be providing sneak previews of a couple of new devices from my own company. This is going to be a blast.

Hope to see you all there,

Christopher
Gack. Let me correct the rumor mill....Stetson (who I can't wait to see)...may drop in as an attendee.

Michael Webber, whoever that is, will DEFINITELY NOT be there. A different person with homonymic properties might be, though. But, I want it corrected. Michael Webber will not be there.

:winker:

Jeremy
This keeps getting better and better!
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 17:18, jeremysweiss wrote:
Gack. Let me correct the rumor mill....Stetson (who I can't wait to see)...may drop in as an attendee.

Michael Webber, whoever that is, will DEFINITELY NOT be there. A different person with homonymic properties might be, though. But, I want it corrected. Michael Webber will not be there.

:winker:
I will be working on the east coast Friday evening. I'll take a red eye and be with you Saturday and Sunday.

Jeremy
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2010-04-05 21:26, Jon Stetson wrote:
I will be working on the east coast Friday evening. I'll take a red eye and be with you Saturday and Sunday.

Jeremy
[/quote]

That Stetson thinks this workshop is so valuable pleases me to no end. Let me all tell you that Jon was in the show that entirely changed my view on how performance should be done. It was a transformative experience.

Todd Robbins, my friend and mentor gave me tickets to Monday Night Magic. I sat next to Simon Lovell, Randi and Teller. Francis Menotti (sp?) came out and did his fantastic straitjacket. I watched Randi (who escaped an SJ over Niagra Falls) and Teller (who has 2 out of the 5 best SJ in history) watch FM get out of this jacket. And while I was sitting there I had to ask myself, "What do these two guys who must know all there is to know about SJ escapes possibly be getting out of watching this guy get out of this SJ?". As I sat there pondering the question, I realized that the answer was that they were not looking for any method....they were enjoying THE PERFORMANCE. It is all about PERFORMANCE.

Stetson came out and blew away the audience! He did the most engaging magic square I had ever seen. He did a tossed out deck that fried the audience. He did a word divination from a newspaper that was fantastic. It was his PERFORMANCE, not his methods, which made "magic" what it could be.

I hope that I could be 1/10th as entertaining as Jon. To know that I MIGHT, in some small way, be a part of something that Jon finds valuable gives me huge satisfaction. Jon, you have no idea what impact your great performance would have the night I saw it.

Let that be a lesson for all performers. You never know how you might inspire others--so you are always obligated to give it your best.

Anyways, I have already gotten several angry PMs about calling Michael Webber "HOMONYMIC" and I have to address them....HOMONYMIC folks. "...NYMIC"!!!
Well said, Jeremy. I couldn't agree more about Jon. He's the best and am glad he'll be able to join us at the workshop.

Bobby
"Anyways, I have already gotten several angry PMs about calling Michael Webber "HOMONYMIC" and I have to address them....HOMONYMIC folks. "...NYMIC"!!!"

If only people would actually spend that time and energy on learning the meaning of words instead instead of getting riled up over nothing.
[quote]
On 2010-04-07 11:56, Kim wrote:
If only people would actually spend that time and energy on learning the meaning of words instead instead of getting riled up over nothing.
[/quote]

I was kidding. I have recieved no PMs of the sort.

Jeremy
Now I feel like Don Quixote. :)
Just a note to let those who are interested know that I will be performing my full length show on Thursday, April 22nd at 8:30PM (the evening preceding the workshop) at the Courtyard Seattle Southcenter Marriot. The show is open to the public and will include a Q&A sequence that will be explored and explained in the workshop.

Seating for the show is limited so please contact Jeremy Weiss if you'd like to attend. (Those who are registered for the workshop have guaranteed show seating.)

Good thoughts,

Bob Cassidy
Just reviewing the workbook! It is nearly 70 pages long. The materials are excellent. bob, get some rest because there are 40 people registered for the show the night before the workshop!

Jeremy
I'm posting this on the morning of the last day of the workshop.
I don't know if it's been two days or ten it has been such a jam packed session.

I can't comment on the specifics of the workshop for obvious reasons however I can tell you this-- watching Bob do jazz mentalism is a humbling experience.

there are some fantastic ideas being shared, created and developed. I've met some great people. it's been an intense few days and there's still more to come.

d
Whew. I had very little sleep over the last few days / nights. Now I have about 16 hours of the video notes to edit. Post notes as well and a survey to make. There was a crushing amount of material.

Bob suggested that the next workshop mandate at least 5% of the attendees be smokers and another 5% must be drinkers. IF we do another one, I am not going to have it in a hotel. Instead I will rent a private room in a restaurant / bar and sessions will start at 5 PM and end at 2 am--like they should!
I attended the show on Thursday evening, and WOW! It was awesome. My friends and I all agree that it was a pleasure watching Bob Cassidy in action.
Thanks BaBa. It was a pleasure being watched!

Bob
Just a quick note to thank all those who supported and attended the Q&A workshop and my "night before" show. It was great to make some fantastic new friends and I hope to see all of you again soon.

Good thoughts to all

Bob Cassidy
Really pleased it was such a success Bob and Jeremy! Congratulations!
I'm actually only getting to the workshop now... almost a week after the workshop... because there just wasn't time to read it while we were in session--

there's a lot of awesome stuff here, bob!
Just now getting to the workbook? LOL! Just wait until the DVDs come out....tyhen you will have another several weeks worth of material to digest.

How has the workshop changed your Q&A so far Dave?
UPDATE:

Hello everyone:

An important change has been made to the Cassidy DC Jazz Mentalism Workshop 7/29- 8/1. The workshop will be held at:

The DoubleTree Hotel
8120 Wisconsin Ave.
Bethesda, MD 20814

Phone: 301 652 2000

It is a FANTASTIC venue. The hotel is gorgeous and the surrounding area is unsurpassed. Check it out here:

http://www.doubletreebethesda.com/?WT.srch=1

Reservations: 1800 222 TREE

Note:

Over the next few days, I will be receiving the discount room rate information. So, hang tight!

Jeremy Weiss
Smoking and drinking?!

when you coming over to the UK?!
Yeah....this time it is REQUIRED!
This workshop will be sensational.

I managed to spend a bit of time with him over the last weekend
and if you've got any doubts, let me tell you, Bob's at the top of his game.

Jeremy, nice to meet you too.
....and great to meet you as well!

There are TWO spots left!!