(Close Window)
Topic: Dick Van Dyke's Multiplying Ball Routine
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set. Later, Dick, Laura, Jerry, Millie, and some new neighbors were playing poker and Dick was the big winner. The plot thickens when it turns out that the group has been playing with Richie's marked deck from the magic kit. Of course, everything gets straightened out by the end of the show.

Other TV shows which featured magic prominently include "Doyle Against the House," a Dick Powell Theater episode when Milton Berle performs some nice card flourishes, and "The Great Anatole" (also from the Dick Powell Theater) in which Curt Jurgens does some nice magic and a terrific "Film to Life" illusion with Dana Wynter as his assistant. And of course there's the Channing Pollock episode of "Daniel Boone" that featured much of the master's card and dove act.

I remember also a Superman episode where Superman levitates Lois Lane. As I recall, the lighting of the levitation part was very poor and the shadow of the levitated Lois revealed the "modus operandus."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
Aside from the obvious TV shows like "Blacke's Magic" and "The Magician", I have seen magic performed on "Leave it to Beaver", "The Munsters", "Matlock", and probably more that I'm just not remembering at the moment.
Ther're as well Tony Curtis and Steve Martin.

Oliver.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Jan 18, 2010 04:32PM)
There was a Beverly Hillbillies that featured a magician as well.

Also a Gilligan's Island when a magician's trunk washes up on the island.

Lou
[b]The best of all... Bagdad[/b] Café... great premise and great magic.
How good was the dick van dyke ball routine?
This is fun- any links, fellows?
The Alfred Hitchcock Hour (1964) "The Magic Shop."
Well Sonny, it's way past my bed time. I was searching for any clips of Jackie Gleason or Johnny Carson performing magic but no luck. However, these two Dick Cavett shows featuring Slydini might be of interest. Great thread!

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/conjuring-slydini/
It is almost painful to see Slydini perform some of the tricks when you have studied and worked on them yourself. One thing is the silks. Can anybody tell me how he gets the silks apart with no effort at all?
Can anybody point me to where I can get that information. I believe that all the tutors on the existing DVD:s on the Silks would want that information too.
Dick starts with a very nice handkerchief vanish that leaves both hands completely clean. Then he picks up a ball and:
1) Does a trap vanish
2) Reproduces it from his elbow
3) Vanishes it with a standard pass and then does a change-over to show both hands empty
4) "Places" it in his mouth whence it vanishes
5) "Reproduces" it from his waist band.
6) Shows the reproduced ball and asks Richie "How many balls?" "One."
7) Multiplies then one to two balls and clicks them together.
8) Multiplies the two to three.
9) "Takes" one of the three and throws it away. Reproduces it from his pants pocket and places it back in his hand.
10) Tells Richie "Now here's the hard part because these balls are slippery" and multiplies to four balls.
The balls look to be a decent size, maybe 1 1/2 inch.
Richie asks, "Will you teach me how to do that trick, Daddy?"
Answers: "Well, not until you're old enough, Rich."
I also remember one of Dick's appearances on the Sullivan show where he did a very nice pantomime act of a man trying to walk in an extremely strong wind.

Now if only I can find the Danny Thomas "Make Room for Daddy" episode where he goes to a formal banquet in what he thinks is his tux, but is actually a magician's tux that he picked up at the dry cleaner's by mistake. In the middle of a speech he gives at the banquet, he notices a piece of rope hanging out of his sleeve...

[quote]
On 2010-01-19 05:25, Stellan wrote:
It is almost painful to see Slydini perform some of the tricks when you have studied and worked on them yourself. One thing is the silks. Can anybody tell me how he gets the silks apart with no effort at all?
Can anybody point me to where I can get that information. I believe that all the tutors on the existing DVD:s on the Silks would want that information too.
[/quote]
Closest you are going to get to that is the DVD Slydini: Slydini Lecteure Performed by Jim Cellini Session Zurich 2005. Jim a long time student of Slydini covers the silk routine on this DVD. The producer of the DVD is ZauberLaden Zurich
http://www.swisshouseofmagic.com/
[quote]
On 2010-01-18 17:59, Pete Biro wrote:
THE BEST OF ALL..... BAGDAD Café..... great premise and great magic.
[/quote]
Bagdad Café used my "slice of hand" illusion.
Nearly all the magic I recall from those old TV sitcom shows was disapointing as it was usually an actor with no magic performance knowlege/ability/talent obviously yanking a feather flower bouquet from their sleeve followed by the vanish of an assistant from a vanishing booth.Pure carp.
I would agree that nearly all the magic on TV sitcom shows is disappointing. Sturgeon's Law (Ninety percent of everything is crud) dictates that we should expect to be disappointed and unimpressed by 90% of actors endeavoring to represent themselves as magicians. That's why it's rewarding and impressive when someone like Milton Berle or Curt Jurgens or Dick Van Dyke does a creditable job with a magic effect. I think these actors have a degree of respect for the Art in Magic. When Milton Berle was in the Dick Powell Theater episode "Doyle Against the House" he could have gotten by without demonstrating any manipulative skill with a deck of cards. But he and the producers saw the opportunity to add some credibility to the performance by including a brief sequence when Berle was shown full-shot doing some card flourishes, including the boomerang card effect. Milton is even mentioned in _Scarne on Card Tricks_ as being one of the Hollywood stars who genuinely liked and performed magic.

And then, thank God, there are the few TV/movie producers who go that extra mile and bring real magicians into a show, like the "Daniel Boone" episode that featured Channing Pollock doing much of his classic act, and the Al Pacino movie "Bobby Deerfield" when Norm Nielsen had a speaking part and also did part of his classic act.

Orson Welles performed the Broom Suspension illusion with Lucille Ball in an "I Love Lucy" episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNc3ASCoeM
Dean Martin did some excellent card manipulations on one of his shows.
You could always tell the true conjurers from the fakes based on what effect they performed on those old shows. If they performed a stage illusion or produced anything from their sleeve (i.e. a bouquet) then they are most likely NOT practicers of the art and are more than likely just someone who learned the secret of the self working illusion or effect for the particular episode, as in Orson Welles broom suspension on Lucy.

Dick Van Dyke and Milton Berle, on the other hand, performed magic that required skill and hours of practice and not something that could be learned in less than a day. They are the true practicers of the art and I love seeing them perform magic on those old shows.
Welles did some corny stunts in his day. Fun entertainment nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6a8HPYbfI

I'd like to be shot at by Angie Dickenson when I grow up.
Was Dick Van Dyke a juggler too?

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-01-20 11:19, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Welles did some corny stunts in his day. Fun entertainment nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG6a8HPYbfI

I'd like to be shot at by Angie Dickenson when I grow up.
[/quote]
Speaking of Angie Dickinson, she did some nice color changes in one scene in "Rio Bravo", in which Dean Martin also appeared.

Another neat old film is a Robert Benchley short that shows up on TCM from time to time between the movies. It's called "Dark Magic", and in the first scene you get to see a young John Scarne playing "Mr Calypso", a clerk at the toy counter in a department store. He does a short cups and balls routine. Oh, and he doesn't call it "The Cups and Balls", he calls it "The One Ball, Two Ball, Three Ball Trick"
Scarne's steals and loads are breathtaking, and Benchley is a hoot.
The Beverly Hillbillies episode was hilarious with John Carradine as the magician. Total exposure of some pretty good tricks! I remember making a vanishing bowl of water after seeing it exposed on that show. I was probably around 10 or 11 years old when I first watched it and I remember being so excited to learn the secrets to such great tricks, it was really an inspiration for me.

One thing I believe to be true is that great actors make great magicians. I think there is a lesson there we could learn from.
[quote]
On 2010-01-18 15:23, Anatole wrote:
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set.
[/quote]

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to :

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2594505753/
[quote]
On 2010-03-06 23:44, David Todd wrote:
[quote]
I've always been interested in collecting video of big name actors who perform magic. I just picked up a Dick Van Dyke Show DVD from the local video store with an episode called "A Nice Friendly Game of Cards." Early in the episode, Dick did a multiplying billiard ball routine for Richie from a magic set.
[/quote]
Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to:

[/quote]
The sore loser was Ed Platt, "The Chief of Control" and Maxwell Smart's boss...

Here's another neat short. It wasn't from a movie per se. It was a promotional film Hoyle playing cards released in 1965 to tie into "The Cincinnati Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI
One of the writers of the Mr. Ed show was Lou Derman who wrote and performed on a at least one magic episode.
Orson Wells was a magician, guys. An outstanding one. He had a magic show during WWII for the USO, and he was the subject of a cover story in Genii not too long ago.
One of my favorite tv shows featuring real magicians was the old Mr. Ed show. On one episode there were 3 great magicians, Lou Derman, as msmaster reports, Dick Zimmerman & (I believe) it was the old master himself- Harry Blackstone Sr.

I seem to remember Harry did a flower production,maybe a Bonita. Was a special moment for me to see such a legend.

But the one I can clearly remeber, and impressed me the most, was Dick Zimmerman performing his famous dancing ring on rope trick. Always wanted to buy that trick but never could afford it at that young age. Was the most inspirational trick I`d ever seen untill then. Seems like that trick would have been revived by now.

Have fun,
John
[quote]
On 2010-01-19 05:25, Stellan wrote:
[/quote]

Very painful! It is so difficult to adapt his effects to your own self because many of the body gestures, which hid the secret moves, were such a personal reflection of Slydini himself, that it can really look contrived when someone else like you or me, tries to pull them off.

That to me, is the biggest challenge in making Slydini's magic your own. Not that it can not be done, but you are looking at a lifetime of hard work.
[quote]
On 2010-03-07 08:54, DStachowiak wrote:
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]
Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to:

[/quote]
The sore loser was Ed Platt, "The Chief of Control" and Maxwell Smart's boss...

Here's another neat short. It wasn't from a movie per se. It was a promotional film Hoyle playing cards released in 1965 to tie into "The Cincinnati Kid"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQiuvX1xKI
[/quote]

Smoothest second deal I ever saw!
[quote]
[quote]
[/quote]

Here's the Van Dyke episode referred to :

[/quote]

I had no idea Dick was that skilled. I would bet he was not specially coached for that episode, but had been doing it for a long time.
[quote]
On 2010-01-18 17:59, Pete Biro wrote:
[b]The best of all... Bagdad[/b] Café... great premise and great magic.
[/quote]

That is a great movie .... the crazy thing is a lot of people have never seen that one !
The German Actress is fantastic and so is Mr Jack Palance
Leslie Nielsen as a "doctor" on Airplane did the eggs from mouth with a seated passenger.
Is Leslie Nielsen an amateur magician also?
Not to my knowledge, but he sure is one heck of a funny dude! Cracks me up just to look at him. "Dracula, dead and loving it" is the funniest movie I ever saw.
I would have to say this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

is most definitely my favorite example of "Magic in a non-magic show."
Although it's been over a year since this thread was originally posted, I thought I'd post another example of Dick Van Dyke doing magic. In this clip from "Bye Bye Birdie"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0GyZwQFOW4&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL830A39EF3ADD75F7, Dick produces a bouquet of feather flowers (1:12) and at about 1:24 he does some sleights with a ball (e.g. the trap vanish).

I wonder, too, if the superimposed drawing of a "happy face" in this film clip is what started the smiley face craze.

(I happened upon this clip by accident while looking for a youtube clip of the song "Put on a Happy Face." Serendipity or synchronicity?)

[quote]
On 2010-04-03 22:12, augiemagic wrote:
I would have to say this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwU2MdQ3c_0

is most definitely my favorite example of "Magic in a non-magic show."
[/quote]

"Magic!" This is the greatest thing.

Neil Patrick Harris started out as a magician before "Doogie Howser." He does a couple of sleights in the show -- producing tickets to a show or something, and making a rubber ball dis- and re-appear.
Just watched and cringed at the "Great Zano" on Bewitched.

Would that make it "non-magic" on a magical themed show?!
Dick Van Dyke also is shown doing a few tricks in Diagnosis Murder, from what I can remember. I believe he has a great interest in magic, he is also pictured with Mark Wilson in Marks Course In Magic book
Does anyone know what the title of the "Daniel Boone" episode with Channing in it. Is it available anywhere?
To answer--rather belatedly--the question about Channing Pollock on the Fess Parker "Daniel Boone" show: The title of the episode was "Seminole Territory," Season 2, Episode 17. Details are at the International Movie Database:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0554304/

Lance Burton--himself a Kentuckian--talked about his reactions to this episode in an interview in the May 2006 issues of GENII. Lance was about seven years old when he saw the episode and the card productions fooled him because he had seen a (somewhat bogus) explanation of card fan productions in a book for the lay public (likely _Magic for All_ by Bob Dunn_.)

See also this discussion on the Café:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=435484&forum=13
where I attached a scan of the Bob Dunn page I referred to above.

For Magic in TV Shows:

Do we want to add that episode of House where he had a magician patient? It's scary that that's his only case of Lupus in the entire series- hope that's not an omen...

[Also, to keep with the Dick Van Dyke theme, an episode of Diagnosis Murder, he too had a magician patient, I believe the Masked Magician, and he did a trick on that]

{And just as I hit submit reply, I remember the X-Files episode that focused on Magicians and starred Ricky Jay and Jonathan Levitt...}
[quote]
On 2010-01-19 20:31, Anatole wrote:
Sturgeon's Law (Ninety percent of everything is crud) dictates that we should expect to be disappointed and unimpressed by 90% of actors endeavoring to represent themselves as magicians.[/quote]

Sturgeon's Law dictates that we should expect to be disappointed and unimpressed by 90% of self-titled magicians endeavoring to represent themselves as magicians. That number seems accurate to me.
Do I remember magic posters being in the back ground of some Diagnosis Murder doctor office scenes?