(Close Window)
Topic: 3 No Evil by Doug Higley~ Video Review
The Magic Friday Episode Number Three, featuring Doug Higley's [i]3 No Evil[/i] is now up:

[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=348729&forum=175&0]Magic Friday[/url]
[i](video is halfway down,under [b]The JDG Tip:[/b])[/i]

It's nice to be able to post this here in the Tricks and Effects section because it gives people a chance to talk about the effect, comment, and ask questions.

Thanks for reading/and watching!

jamie d. grant
http://www.whatizit.net
We need a password to watch the video, Jamie, at least from this computer-
Hiya Balaram!

The clue is right above it (in Red).

jamie
Thanks for magic friday .... I always look forward to reading and now watching every sunday night.... the videos are great, I mean awesome!
Great Jamie.More to look forward to.The video work really adds to your magic friday.This review format is the best I have seen.

Chappelly
[quote]
On 2010-01-24 19:53, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Hiya Balaram!

The clue is right above it (in Red).

jamie
[/quote]

Oh! Ha, was that there the whole time? Got it, thank you, and a great idea you reveal to generate interest in the effect from visitors in your home before they know they are asking for magic. Cheers!
Hi there a recent magic Friday trick use a trick that involves Shrunken heads. We have a collection here at the Science Museum London as part of the welcome collection see a photo of one below.
http://collectionsonline.nmsi.ac.uk/detail.php?t=objects&type=all&f=&s=Shrunken+Head+&record=45

Also here is a small article about the history of the heads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrunken_head

Hope this helps to build stories for a great trick. From showing people around the museum they love shrunken heads so you could pass on a historical fact story before the trick. So there a 10 min routine done.

Have fun I migth need to buy this.
Thanks for the factual information Yellowcustard, it will certainly be very useful.
Great video review Jamie.
Talk about coincidence....I sold my Limited Edition version with aged postcards and embossed leather envelope, about eight months ago and wished that I hadn't. A few days later I contacted the purchaser and asked him to give me first option to buy should he ever decide to sell it on. Last night, I am pleased to say, we struck a deal and I should be reunited with the ugly foursome on Thursday morning.
I am really looking forward to performing this fantastic routine again and am tempted to get one of Doug Higley's hand-made shrunken heads...unless you could sneak a genuine one out of the Science Museum for me Yellowcustard??

Paul Mc.
Nice work Jamie! I really like your efforts to get the word out on these effects.
Free will with weird photo's.
Much more interesting though.
Yes,it does lend itself to a more interesting presentation. I think I'll stick with Free Will so it won't scare small children. :)
Thanks for the review!
You don't want to scare small children?! Then what do you do on Halloween??
I like small children! But I can't eat a whole one by myself.....

-J-
[quote]
On 2010-01-27 10:11, taller8 wrote:
Yes,it does lend itself to a more interesting presentation. I think I'll stick with Free Will so it won't scare small children. :)
[/quote]

That's the reason why I bought it.:)
I have Doug's "Dark Museum", which includes a fabulous shrunken head. Though I don't let the very young ones see it, kids over 7-years old are fascinated.
Potty :)
Um, am I missing something here? No doubt the premise of the trick is engaging enough...but the METHOD? Isn't it kind of, well, obvious? OK, it fooled Angry Bob...but does Jamie dare to go back and ask if Angry Bob worked it out?! I'm sure many smart adults could!
Yeah, I'm starting to lose faith in Angry Bob. He's figured out tougher methods in the past.
[quote]
On 2010-01-28 09:37, ryesteve wrote:
Yeah, I'm starting to lose faith in Angry Bob. He's figured out tougher methods in the past.
[/quote]

Lol,

No need to worry about Angry Bob. Trust me. If he knows, he'll tell me. It's like I tell a student of mine when I mention that movie Gattaca (what can I say, I liked it!) where the main character is [b][i]convinced[/i][/b] that people will recognize him. Yet no one does. Same thing here. Sometimes I know Angry Bob is going to eat me alive, yet it gets by him. You just never know for sure until you do it. And that's why I do Magic Friday- to find out.

I also have an unfair advantage over Angry Bob in the sense that he has a better base towards traditional sleight of hand. Trying to deceive him with a coin or a card is infinitely more difficult than influencing a choice. Different specs will always have different ideas though. And, that said, with solid presentation and confidence, you should always have an unfair advantage over all your spectators ;)

Regardless, I'll stand behind the method on this one. Simply because I saw it how it went!

Thanks for reading/ and watching Magic Friday! I love that it can start discussions.

My quick 2 cents,

jamie
I agree about the method, it's not for me. I did try it several times, and strangely one night EVERYONE chose exactly the same objects each time I used the effect. But only I knew that!
It would be very cool if Doug Higley could make his objects with a secret cavity which could contain (for instance) one of Craig Fillicetti's gizmos. You could then perform simply stunning mentalism with these awesome objects.
Perhaps there could be a secret compartment beneath some hair, etc?
How about it, Doug?
;)
Sure. Whatever you like. (?) ;-)

I've done it as a test for multiple folks that were in proximity of the 1st group. For example a nearby table. Best to change the outcome. I just per-wrote a few different 'Predictions' and put them in different pockets and REMEMBERED which was which of course. (not difficult).

Ross: You just need faith in your own mystique I guess to pull it off. It is bold. BUT...there have been over 500 sold and I have not recieved any feedback that questions the method AFTER one tries it out. It just works...like it worked for Jamie. I have never had it tip itself. Not to say it might not but that's why we am what we am...we can cover. :) And yes Ross you nailed it as to why it does work, it's engaging. And best of all, it's cheap. haha.
[quote]
On 2010-01-28 09:06, ross welford wrote:
Um, am I missing something here? No doubt the premise of the trick is engaging enough...but the METHOD? Isn't it kind of, well, obvious? OK, it fooled Angry Bob...but does Jamie dare to go back and ask if Angry Bob worked it out?! I'm sure many smart adults could!
[/quote]

Hey Ross!

I tend to agree with you on this one. I love your reviews Jamie. You have convinced me to buy tricks I'd never imagine I would and I LOVE them all! Your AWESOME!!! But this one, well I'm surprised by Angry Bob too! :)

Mike :)
[quote]
On 2010-01-29 21:20, Doug Higley wrote:
Sure. Whatever you like. (?) ;-)
[/quote]
...So you would be able to make your creations with a little compartment? Wow! Doug, I think I'll be saving up for that. Imagine having the power of "Proximity" coupled with the coolness of shrunken heads, mermaids, and monkey paws!
OK, so it's a bit off-thread, as you can't do that with the card version.
Regarding the method, I feel this is one of those that may fool a good number of folks, but many are likely to see through it. However, as the presentation is so much fun (in a rather dark way), folks are very unlikely to make any comment.
But hey, there are dozens of alternate methods that could be used, so if you don't like this method, change it. Put the prediciton in an envelope, use a TW, or force the choice of objects.
Potty :)
Potty., you are absolutely correct when you say that there are many presentational methods for the 'Free-Will' principle but when performed with confidence, the right patter and phrasing, '3 No Evil' has all bases covered.
I think that the props provided are top-quality, relevant and self-contained enough, eliminating the need for extra envelopes, TW's or secret compartments.
Just my opinion though.

Paul Mc.
I think this is a great effect for ages 6-14. I think I would hesitate to use it with an adult audience.
Interesting comments.

aligator IF you had the effect I would say the 6-14 crowd is a good one for it to be sure. BUT there are hundreds who DO use it with adults to great success, so why limit yourself? I KNOW it works for adults. It's all in the presentation and really no more obvious than placing a final Giant load in cups and balls...BOLD move? Be Bold. ;-)