(Close Window)
Topic: PLATT PAD- finally here!
I wanted to let you all know that we've finally completed our latest project- The Platt Pad. A couple of people have contacted me about the banner here not linking correctly to the video. While that's being corrected, the video can be found at the following link, where we're offering $15 off throughout February.

http://www.plattmagic.com/Products.html

Best,

Platt
Hi Platt --

I PM'd you, but just so others know, your payment site doesn't seem to be subtracting the $15 discount from the order total when the code is entered, so this needs fixing.

Cheers!
Jerry
Thanks for the look out Jerry. Whatever problem you experienced has been taken care of as I tried it myself and had no problems. Others have ordered with the proper discount as well. As a reminder to others, remember to keep the code word all lowercase. And thank you Mr. Brooks, for so quickly taking care of the banner link issue.

Best,

Platt
This looks very interesting
Do you require the plattpad to perform the plattwave?
[quote]
On 2010-02-02 04:12, pegasus wrote:
Do you require the plattpad to perform the plattwave?
[/quote]

Hi Pegasus, yes it does. I actually teach a number of versions of 8 card brainwave, all requiring the pad. I've been on a mission for many years to perform a clean, examinable version of Nick Trost's 8 card brainwave and the pad was created for solely that purpose. Of course it didn't take long to realize that this was just one of many (nearly endless) things possible with it.

Platt
Hi Platt.

Is the pad available in only one size? It looks a little on the larger side to me; probably not going to be a problem in performance, just curious though.
[quote]
On 2010-02-08 14:27, nique wrote:
Hi Platt.

Is the pad available in only one size? It looks a little on the larger side to me; probably not going to be a problem in performance, just curious though.
[/quote]

it's available in only one size. it may be hard to tell from the video but it's actually not large at all- the size of a standard compact notepad- 5" x 8". I should also mention that you can also customize it by using the paper of your choice.

Best,

Platt
Sounds great Platt - thanks for the reply.

My order is in!
Looks fantastic. My Platt Pad order is in.
The amount of effects that are possible with this looks very impressive. The handling is described as "effortless". I realize that nothing is truly effortless but can you elaborate on the difficulty level?
[quote]
On 2010-02-11 11:33, oombob wrote:
The amount of effects that are possible with this looks very impressive. The handling is described as "effortless". I realize that nothing is truly effortless but can you elaborate on the difficulty level?
[/quote]

Considering Platt's sleeving looks pretty effortless, I'm almost afraid to hear his reply! It's nearing mid Feb, can't wait for this to start shipping!
[quote]
On 2010-02-12 02:15, nique wrote:
[quote]
On 2010-02-11 11:33, oombob wrote:
[/quote]

Considering Platt's sleeving looks pretty effortless, I'm almost afraid to hear his reply! It's nearing mid Feb, can't wait for this to start shipping!
[/quote]

I teach two methods. One is extremely easy. Really, there's nothing to it. The other method (like all magic) requires a little practice, but nothing too advanced. Hope that helps.

Platt
While I am eagerly awaiting the Platt Pad....any future plans for a Platt Mat?
I would definitely buy one of those also.

(insert smiling face sticker here)
This looks fantastic! My orders in.
Not fishing for any method, but I also am aware of how skilled you are with your sleights, and I'm concerned that the platt pad by itself without hours of practice will prove to difficult for the average hobyist. So I have 2 questions first is it the pad that if used properly makes the trick, or is it your skills ? Second is the pad somewhat examible ?
[quote]
On 2010-02-15 03:34, drphil wrote:
Not fishing for any method, but I also am aware of how skilled you are with your sleights, and I'm concerned that the platt pad by itself without hours of practice will prove to difficult for the average hobyist. So I have 2 questions first is it the pad that if used properly makes the trick, or is it your skills ? Second is the pad somewhat examible ?
[/quote]

Hi Doctor Phil, good questions. I tried to answer your first question earlier in this thread. The pad is quite simple to use. As I've mentioned, I teach two approaches to one very simple and very invisible move. I think the average hobbyist could perform the easier of the two approaches almost immediately. There's nothing to it. The other move is also very easy, but like most magic, it might take a few days to get to the point where you're performing it with 100% confidence.

You asked if it's the pad or my skills that make the trick. It's definitely the pad- that's what you're paying for here-this is NOT a thesis on how to be good with your hands! My father and I are perfectionists and we sweat out every detail. We've created well over a dozen different prototypes on the way to landing on our final product that functions flawlessly.

The pad is not examinable. As with everything we release, I've done extensive real world testing with the pad- well over 1,000 live performances. Not once has anybody ever even given the pad a second thought. It's a simple 5" X 8" pad of paper and it's always justified. There have even been times where I've revealed the workings (please don't do that!) just to see the spectator's reaction. They couldn't believe that the pad possibly had anything to do with what they just witnessed. You'll just have to trust me that nobody's head goes to the pad, so you really needn't worry about the examinability. The cards on the other hand scream to be examined. Fortunately...they can be!

BTW, the pads have been shipped and should reach everyone this week!

Platt
Platt: first thanks for the quick and thorough reply, also your explination gives me the confidecne that this is something I could do. Now more than ever Im looking forward to this and also your Blackout, I just have to scrape up some more bones if you know what I mean. Taxes are killing me this year.
THE PLATT PAD...
Justed watched demo one .WOw what can I say Platt you are a genious this is not only trick but it can be a routine Platts pad is brilliant there are tons of uses for this Playing cards,, busdiness cards and you end so clean it is unbelieviable, I am now trying to come up with a way of using coins...
Platt this pad has just solved my wild card routine, when I am done tweeking it I will send it your way.
Guys if you are into mentalism or just doing walk around magic platts pad is a must
I see this effect becoming the trick of the year it is on the same plateau as Dean Dills REVELATION effect but of course it is different but teriffic inpact
vinny
Platt congrstulations on this beautiful effect
Hey Platt

Is there going to be any need to buy refills in the future? Says it comes with replacement paper. Will one need to buy that paper from you? And how long could one expect it to last?

Cheers
Looks sweet by the way!!!! A whole routine in one by the looks.
Just received this today .. watching the dvd's right now ... should be easy to do with a little practice.

This is very very deceptive .. well worth the money.

Nice Job Platt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vinny, I'm glad your enjoying the pad. I look forward to your wild card routine.

Churbro, no need to buy refills. While we do supply replacement paper you can very easily cut your own. It depends on your performing style, but with the paper supplied, you're set to go for many, many performances.

Steve, thanks for the kind words. I'm sure you'll make it all your own.
Thanks Platt!
Anyone got theirs in the UK yet? Hoping mine'll turn up early next week ( Monday, please be Monday, lol)
Platt, is the sped-up section on the demo video a complete demo of one of the effects?
I have a Platt pad. This is a utility item with an excellent design, beautifully rendered. I think this will become a standard mentalism tool. I cannot remember the last time I opened a new magic item and just "played" with it over and over again. The Platt pad had that effect.
Can't get paypal to work on this site- it refuses to allow the $15 discount. How does one do this?

Jim
Well said david this is the effect of the year . there are tons of ideas not just one effect//
vinny
Just received mine. This is extremely well made and well thought out. I'm adding this to a myriad of effects I already do to end clean. The CDs give you some great routines by themselves, but you'll soom come up with all kinds of uses. I agree with David, this may become a mentalist's staple item. You can get bulk refills of the paper needed from various stationary stores or the likes of Office Depot so you'll never run out.
With that kind of post from Mr. Regal, I certainly hope mine arrives tomorrow in the mail!
The anticipation here is driving me nutz! Can't wait to get this
I'm a coin guy but Platt's creativity is just awesome, anything he touches. Always good thinking and effect. He's been doing this for years now and he continues to get better and better with everything he brings forth. This new "Platt Pad" is amazing and with it the Craft here continues to evolve to the good.

Thanks Platt, keep making magic amazing. :)
Wow.

Platt's Pad is an exquisitely handcrafted 'State of the Art' instrument.
In my opinion it can be used for more than just Mentalism. It is deviously clean and definitely will solve problems that exist. That's all I want to say without tipping it.

This is one of the most beautifully created utility devices I have ever seen. There is an obsession with perfection going on here.
How it replicates a 'real world' note pad while being the farthest thing from it is ART

It's mechanism is so diabolical it reminds me of something Q would be training James Bond to use.
I am sure the CIA could find a use for this genius of a device.

All I kept saying was "WOW" when I layed my eyes upon the secret of Platt's Pad.
Brian I applaud you and your Dad.
I expected nothing but the best from Platt and Co. His thinking is unique and his attention to detail makes his products that much better.
This is the first product I've acquired from Platt Magic and I can say that I'm very impressed with the quality and creativity that went into it. Kudos!
David, thank you for the kind words. I'm sure you'll find plenty of cool uses I never thought of. And you were a big inspiration for numerous routines, particularly 'David Cassidy.'

Gasman, I'm happy to hear you're enjoying it. And yes, it's just that easy to add replacement paper.

Gary, inventor of the greatest cigarette gimmick of all time, it means a lot to us that you appreciate the craftsmanship here. The bond reference cracks me up because it does look like something you might see in a spy museum.

Magic Jackson- Well, what can I say. Thank you.

Afknight, great to have a new customer on board!

As a reminder the $15 off promo will end on February 28th. We were a bit lax with the Blackout ending date, but this will truly be over on the 28th. Thanks.

Brian Platt
Got my Platt Pad. Versatile, brilliant and teeming with possibilities.
I'll echo Gary's sentiment... Wow.
The pad arrived yesterday, and I must say I'm amazed at how clever this is. It turned out to be unlike what I was expecting it to be. As with Mr. Regal, I've been fiddling with it quite a bit, and already many ideas come to mind. Is there somewhere where buyers could share ideas?
The Platt Pad is very cool and it allows you to do some amazing things. Three of my favorite effects on the DVD are the F.U card trick, Mr. Yuk, and Memory test. I showed my wife all three of these and she liked Mr. Yuk the best, probably because it involved stickers :lol: . Personally I like the F.U card trick the best because it seems so impossible.

But I have to say my favorite part of the DVD was when Brian gave us the latest gossip out of People magazine. I was cracking up watching that.

Matt
Finally!

I can talk about this incredible new, versatile and diabolically deceptive new device called The Platt Pad. When this concept was first shared with me early last year I was eagerly waiting to see the prototype. I thought the concept was sooo very clever that I knew it was going to be a huge hit just like Blackout.

As a good friend of Brian's I had the opportunity to see and hear how much thought, time, and creativity went into this.

The Platt Pad is just such an amazing tool to add to any performers arsenal that one would be hard pressed to not find a way to fit in to their repertoire regardless of what type of magic they do. You can literally tailor your performance to suit any age and any situation.

The angles are fantastic and the moves are so motivated and cleverly disguised that like pure sleight of hand they are about as undetectable as you can get.

I will say that this is not "self working" you will need to put some practice into this to become comfortable with the move but it is something that can be learned quite easily. It is also wonderful that you can change the gimmick to work right or left handed as you so choose.

The Pad itself is a total work of art. The simple, yet devious method has been thoughtfully designed to work right under the spectators noses and with care this should last you a very very long time. As a matter of fact, I would say you may only ever need one but I would get a second just because I wouldn't ever want to be without it.

The DVD's have the usual Platt all Steak approach. Just chock full of ideas. No fancy editing just easy to follow instruction. However, this is but a smidgen of effects that are possible. I think as people perform and work with it the ideas are going to be almost limitless.

You get several additional sheets of paper as well as some cards and other materials which will help with the effects shown on the DVD's.

Again, Brian and Mike really hit this one out of the park.

I am honored to have Brian as a friend but I can tell you with unbiased enthusiasm that you do not want to pass this up. It is a true gem!

Brian and Mike, Thanks again for sharing such an amazing idea and bringing it to fruition. The magic community benefits immensely with the wonders you create!

Best Regards!
Max
Oombob, thanks for your continued support of our stuff. you've been a longtime fan.

nique, I'm thinking about setting up a chat room where users can share ideas. in the meantime, there's the tips and tricks section. if you'd like to share an idea with me I can post a video in that section.

sabitu, glad you enjoyed the people magazine moment. the celeb rags are an easy target!

max, my friend, thank you for the extensive review. you've had to listen to me ramble on about the pad from the beginning. and you've helped considerably by passing on ideas. it's a pleasure to finally get it in your hands. now send me a motha*** dream box already.
Yup... I'm a fan. The Platt Pad is the coolest magical item I have purchased in a long, long time. I appreciate the creativity, humour and the integrity that goes into all things Platt. Hats off to you and your Dad.
I just want to remind everyone that today is the last day we can offer $15 off the pad. At midnight the 1 month promotion will be over and this will be a $99 item, no discounts. Thanks for all the support.
Received this on Friday. It is very, very good. Although I thought I knew how it worked before purchasing, I was surprised at the actual workings, which were much cleverer than I had envisioned. Highly recommended.

John
Unless I missed it, which I could have, the demo never shows exactly what happens. I would like to know the sequence of events, at least, after the spectator makes a selection.

If I just missed it, I apologize.

Thanks, JD
Very clever and excellently made. This is a keeper!
[quote]
On 2010-02-28 12:25, Pit Boss wrote:
Unless I missed it, which I could have, the demo never shows exactly what happens. I would like to know the sequence of events, at least, after the spectator makes a selection.

Thanks, JD
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat, I have no clue as to what this does or anything.
[quote]
On 2010-02-28 14:40, lunatik wrote:
[quote]

Thanks, JD
[/quote]

[/quote]

Hi guys, if you read the lengthy descriptors on our website, you'll see but a fraction of the effects possible. It was originally made to create a perfect 8 card brainwave. One where you end clean and can hand the cards out. I've created numerous versions of that effect. After well over 1,000 performances, I can tell you they all have the same effect on the spectator: The spectator fairly touches a card. It's the one that's different than all the rest. Everything can be handed out. Spectator is baffled.

There are many many things that can be done with the pad. Most packet tricks where you end dirty, with the pad, you end clean. I'm sure others who own the pad can chime in, but if you read through the effects on the website you'll get a good idea of the basics.

Regarding the demo video... As any creator of magic effects knows, making a demo video is tricky business. I personally have had many issues with unfair videos. I attempted to show you a few basic effects from the spectator's POV and be as fair as possible. He or she touches a card. It's the one odd one out. Everything is examinable. Again, I teach many versions of this effect on the DVDs totaling 2.5 hours. I included one of those 8 card brainwaves (entitled 8 Card Grail) in its entirety on the demo video. I hate to spell it out but if you'd like the time codes, look at 1:10- 1:22. That's the full performance from start to finish. Hope that answers some of your questions as to what can be accomplished using the pad.

Best,

Platt
Thanks Platt, I did indeed miss it. That is exactly what I wanted to see, and it looks great. Preparing to order.

JD
Finally got to viewing the "Tips & Tricks - Platt Pad" section of Plattmagic.com.
If you own the pad, check it out. I really appreciated the extra handling tips and the "8 Card Grail" is (as we Canadians say) ..."beauty".
How many cards can it handle?
cheerz
I am really impressed by this. It is interesting that Brian sought out to create a perfect 8 card brainwave (which he did) and ended up with something that has so many other useful applications. Brian has included a ton of great ideas on the two DVDs that come with the pad, and is updating the web site with new ones as they develop. I have mentally run through the card effects I do and have personally come up with many that would be substantially improved by using the Platt Pad, including most of my packet tricks.

The Platt Pad has an added benefit to me, since I perform many effects at work for my co-workers (sort of like Jamie Grant's Magic Fridays, but not quite as regular). The Pad is perfectly at home an inconspicuous in this environment, making it an ideal and invisible gimmick for doing the necessary dirty work.

All in all, this is an excellent and well made product that does what it does extremely well. If you regularly perform effects of the type described on the product page or packet tricks with gaffed cards, I can't imagine you would be disappointed with this purchase.
I'm still waiting with anticipation for mine to arrive.I've got this and a little something special from outlaw on it's way so I'm keeping an eye out for the postie every day.
I have mine on order also. Out of interest, would it be safe for a spectator to write on the pad or would this be inadvisable?
I don't see a problem with the spectator writing on the pad.

Matt
[quote]
On 2010-03-01 13:03, NeilS wrote:
I have mine on order also. Out of interest, would it be safe for a spectator to write on the pad or would this be inadvisable?
[/quote]

The only issue is that you can't let the spectator pick up the pad. So if you are going to allow them to write on it, you will need to pin it to the table as they write. I would think this would be a bit awkward in most circumstances and might draw unnecessary attention to the pad. But if you can make this seem natural, they won't notice anything unusual from the writing.
Just received the Platt Pad and I have to agree with what has been said here-it's fantastic. I haven't gotten through all of the dvd instruction yet or made it to the tips and tricks section on the website but, this is something I see myself and a lot of other people getting a ton of use out of.
Brian - Been playing with the Platt Pad and man you have a real winner here. You've just begun to scratch the surface of what's possible with this. I'm gonna busy for a while thinking up stuff to do with this. Congratulations my friend and continued success.
Senor Mendoza

Are you going to be at the Assembly meeting on Monday (Asi Wind)? If so, we can exchange notes....

Scott
[quote]
..... I have no clue as to what this does or anything.
[/quote]

Well that's the whole idea right there.
[quote]
On 2010-03-03 02:16, oombob wrote:
[quote]
..... I have no clue as to what this does or anything.
[/quote]

Well that's the whole idea right there.
[/quote]

well said. I've already received a lot of great ideas for the pad. Owners look out for an updated video in the tips & tricks section soon.
The anticipation here is driving me nutz aswell and I can't remember an order that made me feel like this... I don't have it but already know that this will be great!

Ordered 26 Feb and still nothing at my door :(
[quote]
On 2010-03-10 17:52, Elcio wrote:
The anticipation here is driving me nutz aswell and I can't remember an order that made me feel like this... I don't have it but already know that this will be great!

Ordered 26 Feb and still nothing at my door :(
[/quote]

Hi Elcio, I deeply apologize for the crazy mail delay. They do occasionally happen. There are certain things out of our control, but I thank you for your patience.
Elcio, the mail is a fickle mistress. Trust me, it's well worth the wait.

Greg
Hi Brian and Greg,

I will wait of course but you know when you see something so good and useful you can't wait for it :D
Already have place for this on my desk and when clients come bingo!

Cheers,
E
Is this an open style pad or has it a cover that needs to be closed?
cheerz
I too am still waiting and hoping the postman will deliver this marvel any day now. I have heard so many good things ... & already have worked out a routine I am hoping to use it with.

Come on postman ....
It's the kind of a scratch pad that has no cover.

Greg
Angle question, I work with the audience seated below the level of the table I use, and VERY close to the stage. Any angle problems?

Thanks, this looks terrific.
Takeachance- it's an open style pad with no cover. the kind of scratch pad you'd see on a desk.

greg- thanks for the compliments. you've had some outstanding suggestions for routines with the pad.

kblv- the angles are very good for the pad. the only mandate is that the person is looking down on the pad, which will be nearly every performing situation except for one- the one you described. sorry.

platt
The only bad angle is someone looking under the pad.

Greg
Thanks guys, it just gets better.
If the pad is on the table, and the spec is onstage with me and looking down at the pad, AND, if I move the pad back far enough from the edge of the table, will the rest see what I don't want them to see?

Or, can I turn the business end of the pad stage left so they aren't seeing it straight on?
[quote]
On 2010-03-12 02:49, KBLV wrote:
If the pad is on the table, and the spec is onstage with me and looking down at the pad, AND, if I move the pad back far enough from the edge of the table, will the rest see what I don't want them to see?

Or, can I turn the business end of the pad stage left so they aren't seeing it straight on?
[/quote]

I'll pm you as I'd prefer for this not to become a q&a back and forth. But considering your situation that should work fine. Again I'll pm you with details. Thanks.
I hate to be a pain, but I seem to be kind of missing the point.
For some reason, I hate when people post quotes or reviews (of their own products) from reputable magicians on this site. That said, I'm going to post a quote from a reputable magician on this site. If you want to take a running cyberkick in my crotch, I understand. I'd like to thank Mr. Ostelind, in advance, for the very kind words:

"The Platt Pad represents old world craftsmanship combined with modern mentalism! When I first opened the package I couldn't believe how well thought out and well built this device is. At first it looks just like a common pad, but Man, there is so much more! Every bit of the apparatus looks and works flawlessly.

Basically, it is a switching device. But what a device! I love it! I love how it is made, how it works and what you can do with it.

When I watched the video it was apparent how good this plays and how brilliant the moves are. The DVD included gives you all types of tips and ideas, but I can see how many will come up with even more.

This is not something you want to pass by. This is good Ö REAL GOOD!

Richard Osterlind
March, 2010
How much did richard pay for this?
Well, I'll second what Richard has to say about it... and I paid the full price that's on the website. As a matter of fact, here's something funny: Platt originally was going to send me one for free so I can test it and review it. I had seen the video and thought it was something just for card tricks so I told him to not waste a hold product on me and send it to someone else.

After I started seeing what others were saying I decided to buy it. I'm glad I did. It has a lot of possibilities in the mentalism world. It's a well made product with an extensive DVD accompanying it.

Greg
[quote]
On 2010-03-12 15:14, Greg Arce wrote:
Well, I'll second what Richard has to say about it... and I paid the full price that's on the website. As a matter of fact, here's something funny: Platt originally was going to send me one for free so I can test it and review it. I had seen the video and thought it was something just for card tricks so I told him to not waste a hold product on me and send it to someone else.

After I started seeing what others were saying I decided to buy it. I'm glad I did. It has a lot of possibilities in the mentalism world. It's a well made product with an extensive DVD accompanying it.

Greg
[/quote]

Greg

I've been looking at this a lot, and perform only mentalism. Could you share a few usage ideas either here or in pm? I'm just not sure how/where it would be used and be more useful than one of the pads with an open back and shelf that Derren and Etienne have taught in their material.

thanks.
I sent an idea to Platt about doing a pseudo CMR routine and it can be used for a Q & A.

Anyway, if you have something that already works for you then skip it. No need to add more stuff that might go in the drawer.

There is one great idea in the DVD that's a card trick but has a killer ending called FU Card Trick

Greg
Tandy, Richard was one of a very very small group of people who has greatly inspired me either on the Cafť or through their magic releases. To these select few people (i can count them on one hand) I offered a complimentary pad. A healthy amount of skepticism on the Cafť is a good thing. But Richard owes me absolutely nothing and has no reason to say anything he doesn't mean. I feel honored that he had such a positive reaction to the pad and offered such a glowing review. I'm proud to share it.
For me, toughest audience is always my daughter and step sons. Love the fact that when I did a test run for them they immediately grabbed for the cards... didn't even give the pad a second look.

Great work Brian!

(fyi - for people who work "at a desk" during the day, this is a MUST HAVE. Will be invisible to anyone you're performing for, and can work miracles with your business cards....)
This is an exceptionally well made device. It looks totally innocent, and is designed for maximum ease, speed and fluidity during the "move." It's also made of high quality materials, and would be extremely difficult to put together as well yourself even if you examined a prototype or had plans, given the skills required in several mediums of materials. The prop itself is well worth the price, but you also get extras to get you started right away, and two detailed DVDs full of ideas. Although you're not going to want to keep using this again and again during the same set, you should never run out of ideas for creative ways to use it.
Unfortunately still waiting. Usually post between the US and UK does not take this long.
Neil I think people at Post check it and were amazed, this is too good to leave! So they kept it... I hope not :)

Still waiting too :D
Yes, I was wondering the same - or Customs have decided to do some entertaining! I assume these were sent by air - otherwise they are probably bobbing up and down on some ship somewhere!
Neils I hope our week begans the best way :D
Neils it seems my week began the best way, I got it. Customs took a look at it :D

Ok, one word for this? OUTSTANDING!
Congratulations for Brian & father for releasing this for the community. Thanks Nick Trost for inspiring them R.I.P.

Greg, FU is top notch and so innocent... 100% free will :)
The One Eye Love "principle" here is so good aswell.

Thank you once again,
E
You can also perform a very clean Blizzard type effect using the pad. You would use the F.U card trick routine taught on the DVD but substitute in a blank faced deck.

Write down your prediction of the four cards they will pick on a slip of paper and lay it on the pad. After they pick the cards, have them take the prediction off the pad and do the move at this time.

You can now show them that not only did you predict in advance what four cards they would pick, you can also show them that the rest of the cards in the deck are blank. You can't do the second prediction as in the F.U card trick but I think the added kicker of the blank deck makes up for it.
After some wait the postman delivered it this morning, and boy the wait was well worth it. Utterly fantastic & is something I will definitely be using.

Although I have only had chance to see a very small part of one of the two DVD's, the instructions, effects and possibilities are superb. Thanks guys.
I've seen it, soooo devious :bat:

-Rick
[quote]
On 2010-03-17 21:38, Roth wrote:
I've seen it, soooo devious :bat:

-Rick
[/quote]

Thanks Rick. I must admit, I've never known a whole lot about you and your company. But I do now. If anyone is looking for inspiration, check this out. Great interview: http://mnw.squarespace.com/magicnewsfeed/2010/2/18/mnw-187-rick-roth.html
Not having seen this in person, is this something that I can carry with me without it being a burden? I like to travel, as well, so taking with me on planes is a must. Thanks.

Regards,
Mike
It's definitely small enough to take with you while traveling. If you have it in your carry on luggage, there's a possibility it might attract some interest from an alert security officer, but so would many magic props.
Just received mine today and am half way through the first of the 2 DVD's. Had to stop to say how incredible this is. Ingenious! It has far exceeded my expectations and the entire package is well produced, comprehensive and considering the cost/use factor, a bargain. I will surely use this. thank you Brian for your creativity and killer magic.

Arthur
I received mine and looked at both CD's. Then I had the tough decision on which routine out of the many suggested I wanted to try. I thought to start I would try the happy face routine on my wife who hates magic and "has seen it all". Well she looked at the cards at the end and did not have a clue what happened. She was fooled-WOW. I will probably use the "F.U. card trick" routine though most of the time.

This is excellent! I did make one change which was suggested in the added flier. I found it easier to perform that way. Not that I have the necessary need to change I just found it easier for me. I don't want to give much away here so that is why I am so vague but if you have the product you will know what I mean.

I love this and WILL use it.

Ron
I sent Platt sometime back with a handling of what I think is an extremely fair looking OOTW routine that I refer to as "Dark". Might or might not be on his site after the update. Looking forward to hearing more about what others are doing with this great device!
[quote]
On 2010-06-10 14:31, nique wrote:
I sent Platt sometime back with a handling of what I think is an extremely fair looking OOTW routine that I refer to as "Dark". Might or might not be on his site after the update. Looking forward to hearing more about what others are doing with this great device!
[/quote]

hi nique, yes, your ootw idea is great. very smart use of the pad. I've had numerous other nice ideas PM'd to me as well. it's been a crazy year for me, but I should have it up on the site some time soon.
Hi,
can anyone tell me if the routines have to involve playing cards or business cards. Can pieces of paper be used?
[quote]
On 2010-06-20 11:21, lemonjug wrote:
Hi,
can anyone tell me if the routines have to involve playing cards or business cards. Can pieces of paper be used?
[/quote]
Yes, I think pieces of paper can be used, but the handling might be more difficult. Maybe the best thing instead of paper would be blank index cards. Iīm really satisfyed with the product and you will get many good rutines supplied on two disks.
This was reviewed on Wizard Product Review this week.
It got a great review!
Looks great!

kyle
[quote]
On 2011-01-26 12:38, KyleMacNeill wrote:
This was reviewed on Wizard Product Review this week.
It got a great review!
Looks great!

kyle
[/quote]

It deserves every bit of the accolades it received. Brian and his father are brilliant thinkers and left nothing out. It's a beautiful piece and something I am proud to use in my own shows.

Max
Actually the review in the WPR was very promising but the my problem with Platt Pad is that I don't have any clue or don't understand what the pad does for me. Is it a switching device?
Yes, I believe so.
A utility prop that can switch a wide variety of objecs would be very useful, but I'm not really that excited by effects with small packets of cards. Does this have applications for routines that don't involve a small packet of cards?

Also, if pages of the pad are used during the performance, how easy (and cheap) is it to refill?
As I use packet tricks quite often, I tool like Platt Pad would be quite usefull, IF this would make it possible to switch out the gaffs for examinable cards easily, because this would be much cleaner than putting the decks back into the deck an do a sleight-of-hand switch.

But here is my problem with the pad again: I don't know what it does and the product demo doesn't present any usefull information as well :(
Madcats, You need to read the thread! Here's a post answering your questions by Brian Platt on Page 2:

[quote="Platt"]Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, JD

Hi guys, if you read the lengthy descriptors on our website, you'll see but a fraction of the effects possible. It was originally made to create a perfect 8 card brainwave. One where you end clean and can hand the cards out. I've created numerous versions of that effect. After well over 1,000 performances, I can tell you they all have the same effect on the spectator: The spectator fairly touches a card. It's the one that's different than all the rest. Everything can be handed out. Spectator is baffled.

There are many many things that can be done with the pad. Most packet tricks where you end dirty, with the pad, you end clean. I'm sure others who own the pad can chime in, but if you read through the effects on the website you'll get a good idea of the basics.

Regarding the demo video... As any creator of magic effects knows, making a demo video is tricky business. I personally have had many issues with unfair videos. I attempted to show you a few basic effects from the spectator's POV and be as fair as possible. He or she touches a card. It's the one odd one out. Everything is examinable. Again, I teach many versions of this effect on the DVDs totaling 2.5 hours. I included one of those 8 card brainwaves (entitled 8 Card Grail) in its entirety on the demo video. I hate to spell it out but if you'd like the time codes, look at 1:10- 1:22. That's the full performance from start to finish. Hope that answers some of your questions as to what can be accomplished using the pad.

Best,

Platt[/quote]

Jim
I just got the Platt Pad today.

All I can say is Platt's are mad genius.
I can think of even more uses than the 2 dvd's worth of stuff that comes with this pad.
This is one versatile tool.

The Platt Pad rocks!
:righton:
You'll like it, doob!

The only thing I can think of that would make it a lot easier to get going with it: A written list of the routines on the DVD along with the props needed to perform them!! This is another product that suffers greatly from having no written material. The DVDs are long and not very well chaptered, so finding something on them can take up some time. Most of the routines donít actually show you the effect because they are really just offering a great "clean finish" for other people's acts. So you will see other magicians' stuff referenced quite a bit - you'll have to get a copy of each of those effects/routines from somewhere else. A list of what these are would have been nice, instead of having to go back through the 2 DVDs and take copious notes. Also, each requires some special props. I was thinking after watching the DVDs, "OK, let me see where I can buy some... wait a minute - do I need double-faced kings and jacks? Or was it double-faced kings and queens?" There are a lot of things like that where a nice listing of the props you will need would be a good thing to have.

You will see what I mean after the third , fourth, or maybe tenth time you are going through the DVDs again to find out what you need for a certain effect!

Thanks!

Jim
Hi, Jim
I've actually already encountered what you describe, LOL, and totally agree....
There are a couple of things, including the DF cards you described, that require add'l props or parts, and you're right, going back to find the stuff you need is a pain...time for me to get out another pad (haha) and take some notes; this one could use an effect listing and perhaps some kind of written quickstart
I still love this thing, tho
Would the PLATT PAD improve the handling of the DUO-TECH II or Micheal Pizzolla's Synchronicity 3?

Walt
Walt, I donít have either - and I donít know much about them. Hopefully someone else here can answer.

Thank you.

Jim
Voh002, yes stiff paper, small envelopes or index cards can be used.

Madcats, you could look at it like a switching device. But I never really think of it that way. Most routines are set up so a switch wouldnít even come to mind.

Caliban, Iíll have to double check but I believe you can switch out up to around 20+ cards. In the past Iíve gotten up to a half deck, but itís really not designed for that.

To the many who missed the move, I show the exact moment the move happens. Youíll just have to trust me when I say this non-move is never ever a consideration from the specs POV. Even if those specs are magicians. Seriously.

Dooblehorn, yes I am a mad genius. Ha, but thank you for the mad compliment.

Jim, I know what youíre saying about having to go back and look for the props. I did at one point consider listing the additional gimmicks I use for some effects, but I chose not to because 90% of the time I use nothing more than business cards! But I am partial to a few effects that involve additional gimmickry. I still perform Memory Test all the time. Itís basically Jon Allenís Double Back where the spectators can pick up the cards and fully examine them immediately after the effect. Still my favorite non-mentalism effect on the dvd. Iíll be showing that this evening at my lecture in Scotch Plains, NJ.

Natural Mystic, I know a little about those two effects and I donít think the Platt Pad is applicable. However most effects using gimmicked cards (wild card, macdonaldís aces, nfw, double back, double-pipped effects, etc) can be cleaned up effortlessly with the pad and just a little creativity.

Thanks all for the support. And please email us with any questions.

Platt
My only question is... When is your next piece of "intelligent" magic coming? :)

I say "intelligent" because unlike most so-called "new" magic products that hit the market today that are just copies of existing effects/props with maybe a slightly altered method, yours are always something that is truly new; something that hasnít been done before. Or I guess I should say, something that hasnít been done [i]this way[/i] before! There are a limited number of truly original concepts behind most magic products and we are all too familiar with them. But there are always new, 'never before seen' ways to perform them. And what Brian and his Dad put out here to us is always a clever - no, diabolical - new way to accomplish an established magical effect!

We are waiting.... ;)

Thanks!

Jim
Brian did a fine presentation last night at SAM 161 in Scotch Plains, NJ. His Platt Pad is very clever and disarming. He passed around a sample and it's incredibly well made. Thanks for a great lecture, Brian.
I just ordered it. Im looking forward to implementing this into some effects Im working on.
I'll echo what everyone else has said - the platt pad is a truely amazing tool that is exactly the type of mentalism I like to perform. My best purchase for a very long time.
This sounds like an ingenious device. My question is motivation. Why have this big scratchpad on the table at all? It seems to me like it would be very much out of place in most performance situations.

Can you make notes on the top page, do a switch of cards or envelopes, and have the top page remain the same? Or does the switching mechanism switch the top piece of paper also?
Go take a look at the demo at http://www.Plattmagic.com . Brian has it on the table and performs a routine. You can see there how it looks and if it can be written on. :) Better for you to see it there rather than anyone here have to worry about exposing anything!)

Jim
[quote]
On 2010-02-28 14:55, Platt wrote:

[/quote]

Just to be clear. From 1:10-1:22 there are no cuts or video edits? The switch really takes place IN that video clip? If so, that's incredible.

Best regards,
Rob

P.S. I like the clip you chose of the woman at the beginning who insists on inspecting all the cards. What makes it great is that you see the rest of the clip at the end of the video where she even checks the magician's hands yet her attention never even comes close to the pad. That says a lot. For those who have not seen it, visit http://www.plattmagic.com/Products.html
[quote]
On 2010-03-21 23:02, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
It's definitely small enough to take with you while traveling. If you have it in your carry on luggage, there's a possibility it might attract some interest from an alert security officer, but so would many magic props.
[/quote]

my butterfly never attracts interest from security officers. Why would this?
The potential is unlimited!
Imagine pereforming laughter is contagious (Aldo) and ending up clean.
Imagine performing white star, you write the word "life" on the pad
The cards or cards kept all lived
This is a fantastic piece of equipment! I'm performing 3 shows this coming Saturday for a total of about 200 people, and this will be one of the effects I will use. Simply amazing!
Careful Bats. The Platt Pad is not really an effect in and of itself. It is simply an accessory that allows you to switch out in a new and different manner than you have previously.

Thanks!

Jim
Just got one. After waiting way too long! I will not use this with playing cards. It is too good for that. The quality, thought, workmanship, and endless applications make this a very valuable tool for my performances.

Thanks Platt!

Arthur Atsma
I have wanted to get this from the first day I read about it on the Cafť. I just forgot how good this was. I think this time I will just go ahead and get it.
You will not be disappointed! I have been experimenting with a variety of themes using my business cards. But really, magical ideas and performance put aside, this is what a magic utilities are supposed to be like! Working with the Platt Pad is fun. The device is so cleverly and well built that it is like a fine musical instrument that inspires you to practice.
It is a great solution for so many tricks, particularly for a casual situation. I like it so much more than a H&$/;r w#Ä#Ät.
Man, I'm so glad I found this thread. This is exactly with I've been looking for.
I just received the Platt Pad. Really satisfied! excellent!

I do a fair amount of industry training/magic and this is a great prop to do a motivational effect.

KJ
Sorry to revive and old thread but could this be used for a living and dead test? I have a routine I do but it seems as though this pad would allow me to end clean.
Received this today. This is one of the products that I see and think: How stupid am I that I haven't had this idea by myself? I needed some practice to get the right handling and to make it look natural, but I think I'm getting better and better. I really love it and can't imagine all the possibilities.