(Close Window)
Topic: Think of a card
What are some good think of a card effects? Thanks forum!
Hi The Manipulator. Welcome. Since you seem to be relatively new here (27 posts as of this reply), let me offer a little friendly advice for future posts here at in Penny...

You'll get a more useful response if you introduce yourself a bit. Without knowing anything about you, it's impossible to give you a proper answer.

Are you new to mentalism? Are you looking for something to add to a routine or just something to show family and friends?

Are you looking to perform this close-up, parlor or stage? Do you want something that is impromptu? Are you knowledgeable, and comfortable with sleights or does it have to be "self-working"? Do you care if someone has to write something down?

It may sound like I'm being picky here -- but all of these questions (and a lot more I haven't listed) some in to play when deciding what are some "good" think of a card effects.

Another suggestion -- make sure you try the search feature first. Often times what you ask has been asked by others and there are complete threads filled with knowledgeable information worth reading.

Many here are going to be hesitant to suggest anything of value to you until they feel comfortable knowing that you're dedicated to the art and performance of mentalism and that you're not simply the next guy in a long line of guys who post here a few times to find out secrets.

Based on your direct question, I can't tell. But imagine if you had posted something along the lines of this...

"I've been studying mentalism for the past year. Recently I did my first show at a restaurant down the street. I'd like to add a "Think of a card" effect to my routine. Right now, I use the Invisible Deck for a basic version, but am looking for one that doesn't involve any props whatsoever...."

Okay -- I'll spare you my rambling on, BUT the point is, if I read this type of post, I can give you a much more useful suggestion.

Sorry if I sound condescending, that's not my point. I'm just trying to offer constructive criticism so that in the future, you get more useful info from everyone.
Mindbender for President.

- entity
[quote]
On 2010-02-01 20:01, The Manipulator wrote:
What are some good think of a card effects? Thanks forum!
[/quote]
Welcome to the Café!

I think I've gotten or know 80% of all think a card tricks on the market.

#1: John Kennedy's mind power deck. Fantastic piece of work with tons of minute details added to make it perfect. This deck was used by Derren Brown in his effect "Smoke".

#2 goes to Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck. This effect could be conceivably used for a larger audience then the closeup effect that the MP deck was designed for, and can have the same impact. It is also $15 less.

Check for videos of these two online; you will see what I mean.

#3 probably belongs to the Octopus deck. It's a bit clumsy (for other uses) but I'd say it manages the look at a card pretty well.. Yet $100? You decide.

Next up, #4, Bob Cassidy's Quarter Force deck. I have personally had no success with it, put with proper handling, as well as with the pressures if stage, this could conceivably be the cleanest, with sometimes just one "confirmation" needed to name the card.

#5 goes to Cold by Christopher Dee. If you have a Mind Power Deck, of a Koran deck, you can skip this, but otherwise it's pretty nice. Minimal fishing, and plenty of revelations possible. This kind of ventures into the realms of both the Koran and Mind Power decks.

#6: Short Card method. 'Nuff said. Limited success but it's simple.

That's my recap! Hope it helps!
Also there are other published works such as Seven from the Safwan Papers, Dee Christopher's "Anate", and a collection of ideas in The Devil's Picturebook that are more impromptu. If you are willing to put in some effort these are probably better.

(better to perform, i.e. fairer conditions)

CW
[quote]
On 2010-02-01 21:33, CardWiz wrote:
Also there are other published works such as Seven from the Safwan Papers, Dee Christopher's "Anate", and a collection of ideas in The Devil's Picturebook that are more impromptu. If you are willing to put in some effort these are probably better.

(better to perform, i.e. fairer conditions)

CW
[/quote]

Good point. I had in my mind only "see a card" for some reason, forgetting he had asked for think a card.
Thanks everyone! I am pretty new to magic,a little over a year now. I love XCM and manipulation too. Ive been getting into mentalism lately, looking for impromptu stuff mostly. I like to perform at night for people in bars and on the street and stuff. It's hard to contribute anything more than asking questions because of the stage I'm at but I try. I also tried the search feature with no luck. I'll try to be more clear as to the effect I'm looking for so I'm not wasting everyones time. I will check out all the suggeestions though of course. Thanks again forum!
Barry Richarson has a great solution to ACAAN, which "feels" like "think of a card." Eddie Joseph's classic "Premonition" is a great plot, with work on it by many others. Here's another great "think of a card" presentation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcgi4dndmk
Thanks for the info Manipulator -- knowing that you're a "card guy" and mostly perform in bars or on the street is a big help. My favorite in these types of situations is Kollosal Killer (KK). Although many of the effects already mentioned are terrific, I think KK fits the bill because it doesn't require a lot of talking back and forth (like Seven, which is a great effect). In a bar, the less you have to say, the better. Also, if people are drinking, attention levels aren't always what you'd hope for in performing mentalism. KK is quick and to the point.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.
Message: Posted by: DeeChristopherMagic (Feb 7, 2010 01:18PM)
Hey Guys, thanks for the suggestions of my effects! :)

Cold is in the book Proximity Effects and ANATE is available as a bundle with the new ANATE:EXTENDED book. All available @ http://www.Mindlapse.net

Cheers,

DC
I just pulled out an old old Charles Reynolds effect called Force of Thought.

This is a GREAT think of a card effect. Matter of fact it's a think of two cards effect. You can play this one on one or with an entire group. Flip the cards have one person think of a card, do it again with a completely different person. Pull two cards from the deck and walla!!

One of the best. I don't think it's on the market any longer. Maybe.

Also it's a great intro into a TOD.

J
[quote]
On 2010-02-07 16:06, johncesta wrote:
I just pulled out an old old Charles Reynolds effect called Force of Thought.

This is a GREAT think of a card effect. Matter of fact it's a think of two cards effect. You can play this one on one or with an entire group. Flip the cards have one person think of a card, do it again with a completely different person. Pull two cards from the deck and walla!!

One of the best. I don't think it's on the market any longer. Maybe.

Also it's a great intro into a TOD.

J
[/quote]

Yes its available. http://www.thetrickery.com/full/Magic-Tricks-Magic-Shop-Collectible-Magic-Street-Magic-1-Force-of-Thought__8586.htm
Derren Brown in his card video does a few impromptu "picture a card" effects that don't require a deck of cards. Don't know the attributions of these, but they are worth checking out.
Taking a stand for the classics:
"Out of sight, out of mind", by Dai Vernon...
:)
Best,
Lexa
Kolosal Killer by Kent Knepper. The named card ends up in your wallet.
I have ANATE and ANATE:EXTENDED and I love the ideas and concepts in the ebooks. At the start I got about 75% success rate with it but now I have 95% success rate, its just a matter of know who to perform it on, so what I am trying to say is ANATE is great product excellent price I 100% recommend these ebooks

Cheers